Birds in your garden

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, overherebc said:

We have about 6 that sit on the wall outside the kitchen door every morning waiting for the sticky rice my wife puts on the wall for them.

Just for clarification...House Sparrow or Eurasian Tree Sparrow begging every morning? Quite similar, but not so much on closer inspection. If House, would you please share in which part of Thailand you're located? Also...if HOSP (House Sparrow), are Tree Sparrows also present? Which is more common/frequent? Am very curious as to the current status of House Sparrow in Thailand and how closely these species coexist.

These pics were taken from my lanai in BKK. The first is a pair of the very common mono-morphic Tree Sparrow. Have a bare minimum dozen in the backyard nesting and chattering.

The last 2 pix are a male House Sparrow, which is not nearly as common in Thailand, though it's range is expanding and probably rapidly. 

Anyone else with HOSP sightings are asked and welcomed to share your area, along with how common they are in your area.

Thanks!

DSC02197c.thumb.jpg.e040d568c232a128af47c94612d0598b.jpg

DSC04023.JPG.105ccc497b23b5c8351333f3e4ba4cec.JPG

DSC04042.JPG.cf8bffd6df76e05c568a501d4001581f.JPG

21 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Anyone else with HOSP sightings are asked and welcomed to share your area, along with how common they are in your area.

Thanks!

Where I am (lower NE Isaan) house sparrows aren't exactly common but they do visit my backyard occasionally. Plain-backed can sometimes be sighted at neighbouring farmlands.

1 hour ago, jack2964 said:

Thx Jack! Yeah...Plain-backed Sparrow are lovely. Fortunately they are common in my slice of the Big Mango. Nest here in the yard too. Here's a few pix also taken from the lanai...including "dad" feeding begging offspring.DSC01950.JPG.2659f2665929cc077cf6945d614694e6.JPG

DSC01948.JPG.ce826702cb79efef24d060b42229ddc4.JPG

DSC00619.thumb.JPG.0566ebb3b9e4425acbdb2c5b86c3c6f5.JPG

DSC00620.thumb.JPG.a29b8299cc441e091345ac304fe8eb47.JPG

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 4:20 PM, Bredbury Blue said:

Today we took a drive for seafood lunch to bangpoo / bangpu and stopped by the forces pier to go feed the brown-headed gull visitors.  I took bread but there's a sign in thai no bread (supposedly they don't like it - find that hard to believe) so we bought two bags of the pork scratchings sold there and had some great fun feeding them - they are amazingly agile and fly within inches. Pics taken by the wife with an iPhone 6 so apologies for the quality.

1517127597466.jpg

1517127564031.jpg

Apparently the time to visit is late afternoon (my visit was lunchtime) when there's masses of the birds flying around - saw the wife's friend's pics which were very impressive.

Referred to on Google maps as " Bangpoo Resort สถานตากอากาศบางปู"

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Can you identify this bird for me please (taken by the wife on her gym treadmill hence the quality)?

LINE_MOVIE_1520219450592.mp4

Looks like a `black naped oriole` to me.

https://www.google.com/search?q=black-naped+oriole&rlz=1C1CHBF_enCW772CW772&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjJw6z-q9fZAhXDo1kKHf8hCu0Q_AUICigB&biw=1280&bih=623&dpr=1.25

GF went home (Kanchanaburi province) to visit family. I opted to stay behind, as families are not my forte' (ha ha). One of the neighbors caught this Green-billed Malkoha (cuckoo) which presumably was headed for the cook pot. With her new found appreciation of nature...especially ornithological...she purchased the bird for ฿100 and released it. She was quite pleased, as was I.

Now she has another species on her list that is not checked off on mine! :angry::1zgarz5: Looking like I'll have to bite the bullet and suffer some family time to boost my checklist! :bah::biggrin:

5aa114d39c4e7_GTM_edited(2).jpg.218d45f65fb39d15424ff25b8075cebb.jpg

GB Malkoha are common enough that I think you will probably see one in your BKK patch eventually. If memory serves, I have seen them between Lumpini and Benjakiti in trees along the green mile. I see them regularly from my yard here in Bangsaen, Chonburi.  

Last year I would have posted in May and July about yellow-vented bulbul nests in our garden; first time was in my cycling helmet and second time was in a bush. Both times we don't think the chicks survived but were taken by snake or Tukay Lizard (spelling?) or other bird.

We now have my cycling helmet being used again.

Photos below

1.Last year the helmet was high up on the handlebars (we put a set of 3 steps under it so we could see in to the nest easily) but this year its low down.

2. First noticed the bird going back and forward last Sunday - nest that day.

3. Nest last Wednesday.

4. Nest last night.

5. First egg today.

20180314_181804.jpg

20180311_131050.jpg

1520926667824.jpg

20180314_181817.jpg

1521182821917.jpg

I have seen for the first time today, a sparrow selecting from some green fresh ivy type plant leaves that had fallen on the ground, it chose one, picked it up, looked as if it was starting to eat it then flew up onto the roof, perhaps to a nest nearby.

Do birds use fresh leaves as nesting material ?

Do some birds such as sparrows eat green leaves ?

Seem to have 3 kinds of sparrow as well as families with specific genetic traits e.g. almost white or almost black.

Also what looks like a kind of starling has started to visit.

See quite often in the evening, two or three flocks of crows from different areas converge as a single flock and fly off, probably to roost.  I didn't realize they did this though have obviously seen with feral pigeons.    Especially noticeable when rain is on its way.

I have 3 water trays in the feeding area in front of my house, normally well attended by sparrows, pied wagtail, bulbul, now have a pair of very talkative mynas ( at first very reticent to use even for drinking ) that bathe twice a day, even a dove has taken a dip.    The wild budgie also drinks daily.

Sorry, probably not very exciting but due to some mobility problems most of what I see is from the lounge windows.

1 hour ago, Speedo1968 said:

I have seen for the first time today, a sparrow selecting from some green fresh ivy type plant leaves that had fallen on the ground, it chose one, picked it up, looked as if it was starting to eat it then flew up onto the roof, perhaps to a nest nearby.

Do birds use fresh leaves as nesting material ?

Do some birds such as sparrows eat green leaves ?

Seem to have 3 kinds of sparrow as well as families with specific genetic traits e.g. almost white or almost black.

Also what looks like a kind of starling has started to visit.

See quite often in the evening, two or three flocks of crows from different areas converge as a single flock and fly off, probably to roost.  I didn't realize they did this though have obviously seen with feral pigeons.    Especially noticeable when rain is on its way.

I have 3 water trays in the feeding area in front of my house, normally well attended by sparrows, pied wagtail, bulbul, now have a pair of very talkative mynas ( at first very reticent to use even for drinking ) that bathe twice a day, even a dove has taken a dip.    The wild budgie also drinks daily.

Sorry, probably not very exciting but due to some mobility problems most of what I see is from the lounge windows.

Keep posting your observations; they interested me (but I can't answer your questions)

The biggest surprise to me with the nests we've had, is how deeply the bird sleeps. We can walk right up to it, within touching distance and it doesn't wake...my kids are not the quietest, car doors banging, people moving around..sleeps through it all. Here's a couple of snaps taken by my youngest last night from a foot away.

1521349624522.jpg

1521349621620.jpg

Nice shots of Zebra Doves (Geopelia striata), which until fairly recently were considered the same species as the Peaceful Dove (Geopelia placida), but have since been split and are now classed as separate species. Obviously, they are quite similar and closely related. However, the correct name here in Thailand and SE Asia is Zebra Dove, as the Peaceful Dove is found in Australia and New Guinea.

Of course I don't care what anyone calls them :biggrin: and this is technical and FYI only, but the science is in...for the time being anyway. It is not unheard of in Ornithology for split species to be lumped back together again as more data is gathered...same as any branch of science.

The obvious differences...

Peaceful Doves have barring extending all the way across the breast, while Zebra Doves have barring confined to the sides of the breast. Check out Google Images to see the diff. The two species also have different vocalizations. 

Cute but ugly at the same time.

The 2 Yellow vented eggs in my cycling helmet are now 6 and 7 days old. Mother seems very used to our coming and goings - helmet is 2m fron our front door. Daytime she'll fly off in to a nearby tree until we pass then will return.  Nighttime either will sleep deeply and we don't disturb her or will just look at us but doesn't fly off. Read that these birds partner for life and as we had a nest in the helmet last year I'm guessing it's the same pair. Still only see one bird (female) but read they take turns on the nest once there's chicks. Here's the proud mum allowing us to look:

1521781219901.jpg

Archived