Birds in your garden

8 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Most likely isn't, but the collar would only be on the back of the neck...half collared would be more accurate. Here's a pic from Google Images. Quite lovely. 

Screenshot_20190403-195539_crop_720x691.jpg.d163aa2d8ae148f94640825002f24c89.jpg

yeah...the plumage color is quite indefinable, light ocher maybe?...I knew an artist once in Venice CA and on an easel she had a panel of color, very intricate and she explained that she wanted to capture the color of a mourning dove's wing...she was talented and moved to NYC where she had some successful shows...she had a good conceptual approach, like who wansta look at a panel of color? but if you looked for more than a few seconds it put the hook in you...

• Like 1

re the dove family, the chicks hatched today and the bird I was watching backed outta the nest and the plumage is the same as skeptic's photo...haven't been able to see the collar yet from below...been trying to get the kids 6 and 8 y.o. interested but it was ho hum, just a buncha birds...their mum the step daughter took an interest however...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tutsiwarrior said:

re the dove family, the chicks hatched today and the bird I was watching backed outta the nest and the plumage is the same as skeptic's photo...haven't been able to see the collar yet from below...been trying to get the kids 6 and 8 y.o. interested but it was ho hum, just a buncha birds...their mum the step daughter took an interest however...

FYI...could be Spotted Dove, but they are large. Almost same as Rock Pigeon. They also have a spotted collar on the nape, but is distinctly different than the thin, solid black collar of the Red Collared. The collar is the key, especially if presumably seeing the female...which is browner than the male. Spotted Doves look the same...monomorphic. Here's a look at Spotted on the left and Red Collared m & f on the right. 

PSX_20190404_130655-1596x552.jpg.ec785bbb9b71e1c00359843db258f37c.jpg

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that it was #8 that I saw...looked like the adults had cleared off from the nest late this mornin' but the step daughter said that they'll be back after dark and sho' nuff  they were there...that girl is revealing stuff about herself that I never knew when she was growing up...I'll find out next that she can speak perfect english but never let on...

'keep yer friends close and the falangs closest but never let on...'

• Haha 1

Verified Blue-tailed Bee Eater yesterday evening and added Fork-tailed Swift. Kept occasionally seeing what appeared to be monster sized Asian Palm Swifts! Same shape, but huge.

Also Paddyfield Pipit for #56. Back to BKK soon and the good ol' USA for a month, so the new patch will be unattended for a while. 

Been getting a few Lifers here and looking at my World List...only need 11 more to hit 700 species worldwide! That should happen later this year. :thumbsup: (most of those are in the 50 USA...537 to be exact)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Verified Blue-tailed Bee Eater yesterday evening and added Fork-tailed Swift. Kept occasionally seeing what appeared to be monster sized Asian Palm Swifts! Same shape, but huge.

Also Paddyfield Pipit for #56. Back to BKK soon and the good ol' USA for a month, so the new patch will be unattended for a while. 

Been getting a few Lifers here and looking at my World List...only need 11 more to hit 700 species worldwide! That should happen later this year. :thumbsup: (most of those are in the 50 USA...537 to be exact)

"monster Asian palm Swift" Could be a Brown or Silver Backed Needletail.

This is a Brown-backed Needletail.

brown-backed Needletail-1 (2).jpg

needletail-1 (2).jpg

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, thetefldon said:

Could be a Brown or Silver Backed Needletail

Thx...great snaps, as always. No, not Needletail...tho that would have been nice! Slimmer shape and tail to Palm Swift, only larger w/longer wings...AND obvious split tail. Also no obvious white on underside like Needletails. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Thx...great snaps, as always. No, not Needletail...tho that would have been nice! Slimmer shape and tail to Palm Swift, only larger w/longer wings...AND obvious split tail. Also no obvious white on underside like Needletails. 

Look to possible Crested Treeswift. Used to get hem in Surin. 

Edited by AjarnNorth
  • Like 1

On 2/8/2019 at 11:05 AM, AjarnNorth said:

You won't often see Paddyfield or Richard's on wires, though, or really anywhere but on the ground. 

This is PURELY for fun. ????

Just when we think we've got these little buggers figured out...

...Pipit on a wire! 

Pretty much a daily occurrence here. They come in and land on the ground and when they depart...up to the wire for a look-see, or visa versa. 

DSC05918_edited.jpg.d864968542213ada8a0e6d8659305867.jpg

DSC05919_edited.jpg.aa41cd532f080e8af029912abc3ccc13.jpg

• Haha 1

Re-posting these as the earlier pix were edited on my phone and came out as thumbnails. Still gonna be fuzzy, but hopefully larger for easier viewing. 

White-throated Kingfisher

DSC05720_edited.jpg.7f2176af10bbc943a54d20e005062891.jpg

DSC05732_edited.jpg.d1dab546bd940b62ef84aac759e9ef06.jpg

DSC05804_edited.jpg.67cb9b4cc7a28234142e96c34b5f16aa.jpg

DSC05796_edited.jpg.b1cfba8f577e9d9a6f5112d838a3c388.jpg

• Like 2

You may remember that I've had Yellow-vented Bulbuls nesting and rearing chicks in my cycling helmet hanging from the handlebars right outside my front door on three occasions in recent years, always about this time of the year. Went to have a look at the nest in the helmet yesterday (they use the same nest and work on it before laying eggs) and was gutted to find that the nest has been raided for its materials and dismantled - its almost gone - it was in tact last time I looked a fortnight back. Have to assume its the same pair of Yellow-vented Bulbuls, and maybe as they have not been successful rearing they have decided to move the nest location. Hope to see where they have moved to. Gutted!

9 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

You may remember that I've had Yellow-vented Bulbuls nesting and rearing chicks in my cycling helmet hanging from the handlebars right outside my front door on three occasions in recent years, always about this time of the year. Went to have a look at the nest in the helmet yesterday (they use the same nest and work on it before laying eggs) and was gutted to find that the nest has been raided for its materials and dismantled - its almost gone - it was in tact last time I looked a fortnight back. Have to assume its the same pair of Yellow-vented Bulbuls, and maybe as they have not been successful rearing they have decided to move the nest location. Hope to see where they have moved to. Gutted!

the doves that I described earlier simply shooed away the previous tenants that built the nest (a family of sparrows) and squatted...and their chicks are already big, saw them feeding today...btw finally saw the black collar on the back of the neck of the adult doves that skeptic described earlier so that they are the red turtle dove species as described earlier...thinkin' about using the light ocher color to repaint me bedroom...later with a 'guest' in de bedroom 'interesting color scheme...' 'yeah, it's the color of red collared turtle doves...' 'ohhh tutsi you are sensitive to nature and I love that in a man...' 'yeah, whatever' as he frantically tugs at her garments...

but seriously I've always liked ocher, just wonderin' now if they got that in a paint catalog available in Thailand...

• Like 1

Been awhile since anything out of the ordinary at my yard. This morning I found this foraging on my kafir lime tree and later at the long bean trellis. Looks like a young bird but what is it? Size about 2/3 to 3/4 of the streak eared bulbul. The hint of a mustachial stripe and dark ear coverts have me baffled.

LBJ01.JPG

LBJ04.JPG

LBJ03.JPG

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, jack2964 said:

Been awhile since anything out of the ordinary at my yard. This morning I found this foraging on my kafir lime tree and later at the long bean trellis. Looks like a young bird but what is it? Size about 2/3 to 3/4 of the streak eared bulbul. The hint of a mustachial stripe and dark ear coverts have me baffled.

LBJ01.JPG

LBJ04.JPG

LBJ03.JPG

I want to say sub-adult Plain Prinia but the facial markings make that hard There are three or four facebook sited for bird IDs not where you would get your answer in minutes. For this one I old try "LBJ Lovers Thailand."

• Like 2

On 4/9/2019 at 9:15 AM, Skeptic7 said:

This is PURELY for fun. ????

Just when we think we've got these little buggers figured out...

...Pipit on a wire! 

Pretty much a daily occurrence here. They come in and land on the ground and when they depart...up to the wire for a look-see, or visa versa. 

DSC05918_edited.jpg.d864968542213ada8a0e6d8659305867.jpg

DSC05919_edited.jpg.aa41cd532f080e8af029912abc3ccc13.jpg

I said "not often" not "never." Nearly all ground feeders will take to a tree or wire occasionally, especially when encountering the most dangerous species of all, homo sapiens. But the comment was in regards to what you'd ID's as a probably pipit but was one of the _larks, which are often perched on wires. 

3 hours ago, AjarnNorth said:

Large Hawk-Cuckoo is my best here. Tail seems just a bit short, but everything else matches. 

Yes it all matches. Another great call...Thx. Brings the new patch list to 58.

17 hours ago, AjarnNorth said:

I want to say sub-adult Plain Prinia but the facial markings make that hard There are three or four facebook sited for bird IDs not where you would get your answer in minutes. For this one I old try "LBJ Lovers Thailand."

Thanks AN. I got a response from Facebook and it's a moulting Thick-billed warbler confirmed by tapping sounds heard yesterday. I replayed the calls from xeno canto and the bird reappeared briefly.

• Like 2

On 4/11/2019 at 3:08 PM, Bredbury Blue said:

Dismantled  

20190415_144607.jpg

• 1 month later...