Birds in your garden

3 hours ago, AjarnNorth said:

Differentiating Lesser Sand-Plover from Greater Sand-Plover is difficult unless they are standing next to one another. Unless I am mistaken, this grainy J-peg shows both with the left center bird being a LSP and the one just to its right (and most of the others) GSP. When they are standing alone, very tough. Pretty common coastal winter visitors, but I once had one in Surin. Had that one as an LSP, but because it was alone I sent it to "the authorities" and even he then sent it to a shorebird/plover expert for final confirmation. 

GSP_LSP.jpg

Shorebirds ?...my least fave group as far as ID goes. Cool & interesting  but definitely not my forte'. Gimme passerines any day! 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Shorebirds ?...my least fave group as far as ID goes. Cool & interesting  but definitely not my forte'. Gimme passerines any day! 

Prefer the ease of sorting warblers, do you? Ha! I get it but I like both and feel lucky to live in an area where I can get both within a couple k of my home. Not as lucky as I felt on the wetlands in Isaan. That was my dream patch. But glad that I can sit around my yard and clock passerines and then go for short jaunts on my bike and get shorebirds and more passerines. My last two lifers were I think shore birds, in fact. I bird when I travel and enjoy the occasional sojourn to a national park, but I am most interested in whatever is around me wherever I am. With any luck, my next house will put me at some altitude with jungle around and a good lookout for migratory flyovers. Time will tell...

2 hours ago, AjarnNorth said:

Prefer the ease of sorting warblers, do you? Ha! I get it but I like both and feel lucky to live in an area where I can get both within a couple k of my home. Not as lucky as I felt on the wetlands in Isaan. That was my dream patch. But glad that I can sit around my yard and clock passerines and then go for short jaunts on my bike and get shorebirds and more passerines. My last two lifers were I think shore birds, in fact. I bird when I travel and enjoy the occasional sojourn to a national park, but I am most interested in whatever is around me wherever I am. With any luck, my next house will put me at some altitude with jungle around and a good lookout for migratory flyovers. Time will tell...

Enjoy them all too...just my least fave and least experienced group. Well actually pelagic birds were my least experienced group, but did a couple of pelagic trips in the USA. Spent time along the shores of GA & FL and the shorebirds were abundant & fascinating, if a bit tedious...but never did it for me quite like the passerines. 

Speaking of the States, warblers in the US were my forte' and faves. Could ID nearly 30 sp of warblers alone (and most other sp) by sight as well as by song (rarely ever needed a field guide unless a rarity showed up). Birding by ear in the Springtime saves a lot of steps! Of course warblers are beautifully spectacular in The States...not the drab, torturous, nearly identical duds found here. :vampire:

Strange about Asian Pied Starling here in BKK. It's a species I've never seen in the patch, but always expected. Have seen them in Lumphini Park along with Black Collared as well as the other Mynas. Always assumed it'd be a gimme here, but not the case...though Black Collared/White-vented and Common are abundant in my area. 

Reading the "Habitat and Status" section of Asian Pied Starling in Round's Birds of BKK Area states that even though still common...declines of this species in recent years and noticed as far back as decades ago. 

21 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Strange about Asian Pied Starling here in BKK. It's a species I've never seen in the patch, but always expected. Have seen them in Lumphini Park along with Black Collared as well as the other Mynas. Always assumed it'd be a gimme here, but not the case...though Black Collared/White-vented and Common are abundant in my area. 

Reading the "Habitat and Status" section of Asian Pied Starling in Round's Birds of BKK Area states that even though still common...declines of this species in recent years and noticed as far back as decades ago. 

Yep. Lumphini and Benjakiti is where I saw them in Bangkok as well. Because I never did any serious birding around Bangkok I assumed they must be fairly common. They are common here in Chonburi, though I mostly see them close to the coast, in and around mangrove areas. Though that could just be down to near total habitat devastation elsewhere!

32 minutes ago, AjarnNorth said:

Yep. Lumphini and Benjakiti is where I saw them in Bangkok as well. Because I never did any serious birding around Bangkok I assumed they must be fairly common. They are common here in Chonburi, though I mostly see them close to the coast, in and around mangrove areas. Though that could just be down to near total habitat devastation elsewhere!

Your area fits more with their habitat according to Round...well-watered areas, coastal flats and landward edges of mangroves. Lumphini has numerous ponds, where my patch only has the typical nasty klong. ?

Last night we noticed two birds perched under the roof of our outdoor kitchen.  Seeing them from the front, we only knew they were birds when one of them twisted its neck just a bit (to stretch).  Our presence and our flashlight didn't noticeably bother them.  A picture from the back side clearly reveals two tails and a reddish bottom.  We're thinking they might be young bulbuls.  We see bulbuls around our yard from time to time......although at the present, we haven't seen any for several weeks. 

When we woke up this morning, they were gone.   

bilbul 1.JPG

bilbul 2.JPG

17 hours ago, kokesaat said:

Last night we noticed two birds perched under the roof of our outdoor kitchen.  Seeing them from the front, we only knew they were birds when one of them twisted its neck just a bit (to stretch).  Our presence and our flashlight didn't noticeably bother them.  A picture from the back side clearly reveals two tails and a reddish bottom.  We're thinking they might be young bulbuls.  We see bulbuls around our yard from time to time......although at the present, we haven't seen any for several weeks. 

When we woke up this morning, they were gone.   

Almost definitely bulbuls. My guess is Sooty-headed. What do you usually see around your yard? That would probably answer. 

Bangsaen, Chonburi. Bird of the day. Asian Brown Flycatcher (in fresh plumage) down the road a bit. For me, first definitive of the Autumn migration (though fairly certain I saw one a week ago from my yard). Arrive here in mid-September and depart late April to early May.

"This is an insectivorous species which breeds in Japan, eastern Siberia and the Himalayas. It is migratory and winters in tropical southern Asia from southern India and Sri Lanka east to Indonesia." (Wikipedia)

ABFC1.jpg

ABFC2 26 Sep 18_first.jpg

I have 2  common Mynas,that come every morning ,afternoon,

the kitchen window has an alarm on,open the window alarm

goes off,and within seconds they are there,call them Heckyll and

Jekyll, they have been coming for a few years,some times they

bring a fledgling along,but only ever one,i thought they would

have bigger clutches than that.I throw them bits bread,meat 

and leftover rice,several doves come too.

regards worgeordie

And these plovers from this late afternoon/evening in Bangsaen, Chonburi - also from down the road, so not "yard birds." Maybe the best pics I have thus far illustrating Lesser Sand Plovers from Greater Sand Plovers. For diagnostic differences, consult your guide book/s. Unless they are standing next to each other, very difficult.

GSP_LSP 2_ 26 Sep 18.jpg

GSP_LSP1 26 Sep 18.jpg

Bangsaen, Chonburi, from yard to shore, highlights of morning 28 September 2018. Highlight for me was the Red-necked Stint. Apparently common winter visitor to this area and I may have seen it many times before, but first definitive ID due to easy confusion among stints. 

BKa.jpg

BKJuv.jpg

CRS1.jpg

CRS2.jpg

GS.jpg

LEbp.jpg

LEbp1.jpg

OWE1.jpg

OWE2.jpg

PFT.jpg

RNS_LRP1.jpg

RNS_LRP2.jpg

RNS_LRP3.jpg

SBFP.jpg

TB.jpg

W1.jpg

W2.jpg

1 hour ago, AjarnNorth said:

Bangsaen, Chonburi, from yard to shore, highlights of morning 28 September 2018. Highlight for me was the Red-necked Stint. Apparently common winter visitor to this area and I may have seen it many times before, but first definitive ID due to easy confusion among stints. 

BKa.jpg

BKJuv.jpg

CRS1.jpg

CRS2.jpg

GS.jpg

LEbp.jpg

LEbp1.jpg

OWE1.jpg

OWE2.jpg

PFT.jpg

RNS_LRP1.jpg

RNS_LRP2.jpg

RNS_LRP3.jpg

SBFP.jpg

TB.jpg

W1.jpg

W2.jpg

For people who hare not up to scratch with their bird ID, could you tell us which each species is please?

Great photos!!!

3 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

For people who hare not up to scratch with their bird ID, could you tell us which each species is please?

Great photos!!!

Brahminy Kite (adult); Brahminy Kite (juvenile); Common Redshank (1); Common Redshank (2); Common Grenshank; Little Egret (breeding plumage) taking flight; Little Egret (breeding plumage) at rest; Oriental White-eye (1); Oriental White-eye (3); Pied Fantail; Red-necked Stint (1) with Little Ringed Plovers (2); Red-necked Stint (front) with Little Ringed Plover (back); as before; Scarlet-backed Flowerpecker; Common Tailorbird, Whimbrel; Whimbrel. 

All are resident and rather common here, except for the Redshank, the Greenshank, the plovers, and the Stint which are all winter visitors, but common winter visitors to this area. 

7 minutes ago, AjarnNorth said:

Brahminy Kite (adult); Brahminy Kite (juvenile); Common Redshank (1); Common Redshank (2); Common Grenshank; Little Egret (breeding plumage) taking flight; Little Egret (breeding plumage) at rest; Oriental White-eye (1); Oriental White-eye (3); Pied Fantail; Red-necked Stint (1) with Little Ringed Plovers (2); Red-necked Stint (front) with Little Ringed Plover (back); as before; Scarlet-backed Flowerpecker; Common Tailorbird, Whimbrel; Whimbrel. 

All are resident and rather common here, except for the Redshank, the Greenshank, the plovers, and the Stint which are all winter visitors, but common winter visitors to this area. 

Thank you so much.

I love the Oriental White-Eye birds.  Never seen them here in Chiang Mai.  I think I saw them in Vietnam kept in bird cages for their song.  The Brahminy Kite is on my wish list.  Not seen them in CM either (told they used to be common here... same as vultures in the old days).  Seems a lot of the bird species are on the decline.  Even the blue magpies we used to see here have gone.  

Early arrival Ashy Drongo (leucogenis) 28 September 2018, Bangsaen, Chonburi. Philip Round's "The Birds of the Bangkok Area" has 3 October for earliest definitive arrival. Seems a lot of the winter visitors are early this year. 

ID'd first by call around 5:00 PM, found and photographed just down the soi at 5:17 PM. Annual winter visitor on my soi, but usually doesn't arrive until first week of October according to my records (7 October last year). 18 photos, but none much better than this (cropped) one.

Ashy Drongo_28_9_18_Bangsaen Chonburi.jpg

13 hours ago, AjarnNorth said:

Early arrival Ashy Drongo (leucogenis) 28 September 2018, Bangsaen, Chonburi. Philip Round's "The Birds of the Bangkok Area" has 3 October for earliest definitive arrival.

NICE...new early date. Crushed the old one! We were always keen on getting new early/late dates of migrants in GA (SE USA) years ago! :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Skeptic7 said:

NICE...new early date. Crushed the old one! We were always keen on getting new early/late dates of migrants in GA (SE USA) years ago! :thumbsup:

Yep. Good get. And already reported to "the authorities." The bird was kind enough to come around my yard this morning - likely the same individual, though hard to be certain of course. Also a group of Red-breasted Parakeets. Pics of each attached. 

AD 29 Sep 18.jpg

RB Para 29 Sep 18.jpg

I have a number of the blue and gray kingfishers that like to hang around my yard.  The other day there were three of them all sitting next to each other.  

On a nightly basis I can also hear them flying around and screeching.

Just this morning a baby kingfisher got into the house.  

Are these birds pretty common?  I don't really see them out and about, only around the house.

3 hours ago, steelepulse said:

I have a number of the blue and gray kingfishers that like to hang around my yard.  The other day there were three of them all sitting next to each other.  

Are these birds pretty common?  I don't really see them out and about, only around the house.

There are more than 2 dozen Kingfisher sp seen throughout Thailand. Would depend on your specific location and a better description of the bird to answer your query. 

The old saying 'a picture is worth a thousand words' was especially meant for bird ID! :vampire:

8 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

There are more than 2 dozen Kingfisher sp seen throughout Thailand. Would depend on your specific location and a better description of the bird to answer your query. 

The old saying 'a picture is worth a thousand words' was especially meant for bird ID! :vampire:

I'm in Phuket and these birds have nice blue wings and a grayish body.  Unfortunately no photos have been taken.  Looking at google images it's probably the common kingfisher.  I just don't see them anywhere else on the island when traveling around.

1 hour ago, steelepulse said:

I'm in Phuket and these birds have nice blue wings and a grayish body.  Unfortunately no photos have been taken.  Looking at google images it's probably the common kingfisher.  I just don't see them anywhere else on the island when traveling around.

So being in Phuket doesn't narrow the likely possibilities down much, like being in BKK or Issan would. Common is a likely possibility down there...as well as other small Kingfishers like Blue-eared and Blue-banded. Post a pic sometime, when/if possible. 

23 hours ago, steelepulse said:

Agree with Skeptic. Really need a photo to be sure, but if they are just blue and gray then a guess would be Collared Kingfisher, which are usually coastal. Common Kingfisher have rufous underparts. I have attached a photo of a Collared Kingfisher here. 

Collared Kingfisher.jpg

Today was the first annual eBird (Cornell Lab of Ornithology) October Global Big Day. Cornell has had a May Global Big Day for the past 4 years and only added Oct this year. 

First things first...added long anticipated Gray Heron (#68) to the BKK patch! A pair flying over around 4:30pm. 

My Big Day stats at the patch were 36 total species and highlights...

Gray Heron (2) new yard sp

first of season Ashy Drongo (1) and Brown Shrike (1)

1 Red Collared-dove (aka Red Turtle-Dove) is infrequent here, but seen a few times each year

11 Pink-necked Pigeon (all time high count)

20 Chinese Pond Heron (all time high count)

Unfortunately no Indian Roller today, but did have one the past 2 of 3 days. No Plain Prinia today and no Asian Openbill, which were hoped for and somewhat expected. 

Anyone else participate? 

As a really far and away aside...was in Michigan, USA for this past May eBird Big Day and was not intending on birding, but saw a Bald Eagle soaring over Willow Run Airport, which gave me the itch. Overall pretty mundane, but besides the eagle the other highlight was an Upland Sandpiper. Neither were lifers, but still always cool to see. The Upland even did his classic "wolf whistle" call. 

White Vented Myna bird info....  surprising (at least to me).

I just found out  the White Vented Myna Bird (the kind with the spiky crest punk hairstyle) is not native to Thailand

Its an introduced species and now some see it as an invasive species competing with the common myna.

I had to check on the net to confirm this info, and also found it is classified as VUNERABLE to EXTINCTION!

This is almost unbelievable to me as there are literally thousands of them where I live... massive noisy flocks roosting in the bamboo, and they are more common here than the common myna bird.  Out in the rice fields there are everywhere, even riding on the backs of the cows and buffalos. They are also lots jumping about on the roads all the time looking for squashed animals to eat.

Says on the net that they are introduced and breeding in South East Thailand.  They need change that info, because they are sure breeding up here in the North too and have been doing so for the 15 plus years I have been here.

I always thought that this bird was native to Thailand, and still can hardly imagine they are facing extinction.  Seems there came from Java and there they are in decline due to destruction of the forests (which I find strange as they are more liking farmland here).  

Was all this common knowledge to birders here?

White Vented Myna.PNG

Just had a few days up in Sai Yok and Sangkhlaburi. Stayed on a floating raft in Sai Yok and the highlight was having blue kingfishers on the opposite bank - must have been a hidden nest in the steep sandy bank as even with my binoculars i couldn't  spot where they disappeared to; they had a black head so i presume they were black-capped kingfishers.

There were also flocks of birds i didn't recognise all along the Kwae noi river bank I'll try to post a video later and I'm sure someone  will recognise their call. A common bird I'm just not knowledge of their name.

Archived