Birds in your garden

Might be...  at the very least worth reporting to BCST. The book I refer to covers Central Thailand and the 3 October "earliest record" refers to Phetchaburi so it makes some sense since they are coming from the north that northern locales would have earlier sightings. In fact, same book notes one was recorded in September no speciffic date) in Ubon and another was reported in Malaysia on 19 September.

I will PM you later.

Really, anyone interested in birding, whether you use Lekagul/Round as your main field guide or Robson, should still get "The Birds of The Bangkok Area" by Philip Round. In some ways it's not right that I and others are sharing info from the book to answer questions when the book is available. It's an invaluable resource for this kind of information. 

https://www.amazon.com/Birds-Bangkok-Area-Philip-Round/dp/9744801093

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AjarnNorth said:

Might be...  at the very least worth reporting to BCST. The book I refer to covers Central Thailand and the 3 October "earliest record" refers to Phetchaburi so it makes some sense since they are coming from the north that northern locales would have earlier sightings. In fact, same book notes one was recorded in September no speciffic date) in Ubon and another was reported in Malaysia on 19 September.

I will PM you later.

Really, anyone interested in birding, whether you use Lekagul/Round as your main field guide or Robson, should still get "The Birds of The Bangkok Area" by Philip Round. In some ways it's not right that I and others are sharing info from the book to answer questions when the book is available. It's an invaluable resource for this kind of information. 

https://www.amazon.com/Birds-Bangkok-Area-Philip-Round/dp/9744801093

Thanks Ajarn.

On your advice I did indeed purchase "Birds of Bangkok Area" from  NHBS in UK (at a greatly reduced price). It's a great book and I agree your sentiments as a birding handbook.

However the reason I asked about a record is because I live north of the area P Round covers(as best I can tell) some 350km north of Bangkok, 11km north of Phetchabun city.

I will have a look on BCST site regarding reporting.

Once again thanks for your help.

PS : Only saw this bird for one day on the patch.

• Like 1

OK so for what it is worth...had dark morph Ashy Drongo yesterday, 3 Oct, here in BKK, which would be new early date by 1 day based solely on The Birds Of The Bangkok area. No pix as it was a flyover. 

This morning, 4 Oct, there are at least 2 light morphs fly-catching in the backyard. Have ID-able pix of light morph today, but not worth posting unless anyone requests them.

Coincidentally...Ashy Drongo is yard species #53! :biggrin:

• Like 2

OK so #55 Shrike sp. I have it as Brown Shrike. 2 terrible highly cropped pix in the rain and mist early this morning from about 50m away. Any dissenting views? The first pic is the original...the second auto-enhanced.

shrikecrop.jpg

shrikecroped.jpg

• Like 1

You guys with your great shots, should consider posting in the monthly Photo Competition....  You never know you could win a prize! 

Thailand Photography and Video Forum's position has been moved higher up on the opening page of the Thaivisa Forum and is now positioned immediately under the Thailand Local Forums.

It can be found here : http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/21-thailand-photography-and-video-forum/ .

Any photographers are welcome to take part and post in any of the topics available whether you be professional, hobbyist or just like to share your better shots. There are a number of threads you may be interested in.

One of these is a photo competition that runs each month for a prize of a 1,000 baht phone voucher .

This competition can be found here : http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/945946-thaivisa-photography-competition-october-2016/ .

Another one is a photo quest which also runs for a month with a task limited to one subject for the month underway. Octobers task is for Black and Whiteimages. There are no prizes for this one but at the end of each month 5 images will be selected and added to a gallery for images from this thread.

This quest can be found here : http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/945037-october-2016-photo-quest/

Any image posted in any one of the Photography and the Arts threads that is given 15 likes or more in a month is added to a Best Shots Gallery. This is a locked thread but can be viewed in the link shown under.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/876363-best-shots-gallery/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

OK so #55 Shrike sp. I have it as Brown Shrike. 2 terrible highly cropped pix in the rain and mist early this morning from about 50m away. Any dissenting views? The first pic is the original...the second auto-enhanced.

shrikecrop.jpg

shrikecroped.jpg

No dissent here. And fuzzy jpegs are my specialty (due to my own fuzzy jpegs). It's definitely a Shrike and like with Accipiters where if it's unclear, the default is Shikra, I think the same holds true of Shrike... unless sight ID or photos show otherwise, log it as Brown. So it's 55 nonetheless. For me, one of my nemesis IDs is Burmese! All the birding I have done over all the years in Surin and here in Chonburi, there is no reason I should not have made a positive ID of Burmese, but I have not. Brown, often and regular in both locales. Tiger, a couple confirmed. But still no positive ID of a Burmese. Been driving me crazy for years... maybe this year. 

• Like 2

On 5/10/2559 at 0:28 PM, isanbirder said:

First Black Drongo of  the autumn this morning.  They'll be all over the place in a few days' time.

I had my first Black Drongos today, 6 October, a couple kilometers from my house on a morning run in a wooded area. As it was my first run to that area in 5 days they may well have been there as of a few days ago. As I have noted before, because my soi is dominated by Ashy - which are more vocal and aggressive than Black and I have seen actually chasing Black off - I do get black from my yard and my Soi but not nearly as often as Ashy which are now in full swing here - three or four chasing and calling and cackling and screeching, as they do. I've also had and have clear IDable pics of Hair-crested from my yard, but it's been a long time since I have seen one. Not sure if I even saw one last year as I seem to have misplaces my annotated calendar from 2015! I suspect i will find it soon...

• Like 2

OK, My turn to ask for ID help from anyone good with calls and/or willing to put in some time. Attached is an audio recording from a friend in Bangkok. The best match I have been able to come up with is Indochinese Cuckooshrike, but P. Round's "The Birds of the Bangkok Area" does not have this species as occurring in Bangkok so I would like conformation. 

You will need to play it through VLC or some such other player as the recording volume is low and needs to be turned up full. 

Any help appreciated. Or can someone point me to another bird ID forum where I might get the help I seek?

Thanks. 

The Bird.mp3

AN...gave u what i had to offer on The Bird a while back in a PM. What may bear repeating is that A Field Guide to the Birds of SE Asia, 1975 (i have a 1984 reprint) shows the bird's SW range extending not too far from BKK.

Certainly not news to you, but for those unaware...xeno-canto.org has an awesome library of bird calls and songs including this one.

12 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

AN...gave u what i had to offer on The Bird a while back in a PM. What may bear repeating is that A Field Guide to the Birds of SE Asia, 1975 (i have a 1984 reprint) shows the bird's SW range extending not too far from BKK.

Certainly not news to you, but for those unaware...xeno-canto.org has an awesome library of bird calls and songs including this one.

Xeno canto and avocet are my two go to sites for recordings.

Best match I have found thus far ishttp://avocet.zoology.msu.edu/recordings/1762

Please feel free to compare and chime in. The "authorities" have already agreed to review the audio file as soon as time permits. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, AjarnNorth said:

Xeno canto and avocet are my two go to sites for recordings.

Best match I have found thus far ishttp://avocet.zoology.msu.edu/recordings/1762

Please feel free to compare and chime in. The "authorities" have already agreed to review the audio file as soon as time permits. 

The authority has gotten back on this and has it as a plain old Oriental Magpie Robin, which was my initial ID many months ago when instead of an actual recording I first received a whistled impersonation (which by the way turned out to be a near exact match) but when I sent back links to OMR the person in question thought it wasn't a match. It's still odd to me that it is an OMR as they are so varied in their songs I see and hear them daily) and this bird seems to repeat the same phrasing over and over, but I have it on the best authority that it's almost definitely an OMR with the following: " The only thing I can make of your mystery bird is that it is most likely an Oriental Magpie Robin.  The pitch and phrasing sound right, albeit a bit short and unusually stereotyped.  But there is quite a bit of individual variation (and females sing as well as males, usually with a shorter song.)  ... IT is most certainly NOT an Indochinese Cuckooshrike, nor any other cuckooshrike... I think it has to just be a Magpie Robin. "  Case closed.

• Like 1

Enjoying one of few truly clear mornings recently here in BKK, almost dismissed a flyover as the first Black Drongo in a while. However something wasn't right and immediately grabbed my bins. Even without binoculars, the bird seemed relatively large but most distinctive was the noticeably upturned tail feathers. Focusing on the bird, could see a large, shiny black drongo with an impressive upturn to it's tail on both sides.

#56...Hair-crested Drongo! Presumably looking for a suitable place to spend the winter.

Birdy morning here in BKK! Clear, slightly cooler and breezy. In addition to the remarkable H-C Drongo, have had half a dozen Ashy and 3 Black Drongos. Also an adult Shikra, 3 Indian Rollers, a couple Black-naped Orioles and a Black-capped Kingfisher, of which I managed some of my wonderfully blurry but perfectly ID-able pix!

• Like 1

Correction to my Yard List. Perusing my list today, noticed Painted Stork. I have stork flyovers frequently here in BKK and an occasional rooster in the treetops, but they are always Asian Openbills. Although I have seen a Painted Stork or 2...not that I recollect in my "patch", nor anywhere in BKK.

So...have to remove Painted Stork. Puts me back at 55. :angry: