No more 91-octane gasoline in next few years

webfact

No more 91-octane gasoline in next few years

BANGKOK, 8 March 2016 (NNT) – Energy Business Department director general Witoon Kulcharoenwirat disclosed that 91-octane gasoline will be no longer available for use by automobiles from 2018.

He added that the Ministry of Energy released a 20-year plan, called the "Alternative Energy Development Plan: AEDP 2015" aiming to boost domestic consumption of gasohol. The goal is to increase demand for ethanol to 11.3 million liters per day by 2036.

If everything goes as planned, the Thai ethanol industry will grow at a rate of 7% per year and demand for cassava and sugarcane (molasses), the main raw materials for ethanol production, will reach 59.5 million tons and 182 million tons per year respectively within a 10 years time to achieve the goals set by AEDP 2015.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-03-08 footer_n.gif

This is very old news. When was 91-octane last available at fuel stations??

Removed from sale mid 2013 from memory.

Unless they are saying they will now remove Gasahol 91 from sale as well but thats not how I read the article.

Most cars still need benzene, even E85 cars. This is a poorly translated/written article, as regular benzene is as scarce as hens teeth already. If all benzene will be eliminated we may be going bedrock style as the above caption shows. Wonder who has shares / farms to generate ethanol? Let's not kid ourselves that this is anything to do with energy conservation / environment. There is money to be made!

I wonder how many rubber plantations are going to be ripped up in order to plant cassava or sugarcane? And how long it will be until we see cassava and sugarcane growers protesting demanding higher prices?

91 Benzine is still available. At Caltex stations for example.

PTT hasn't had it for a few years though.

Really. Ive not seen 91 Benzine at a caltex for a long time.... 95 yes but not 91.

Yes thinking again I believe you are right, it is 95 not 91.

Sorry about that.

Indeed a completely confusing report.

I can only assume it's a wrong translation.

91 octane gasoline/benzene (without ethanol mixed in) has been out phased years ago.

Who states different: bullet proof evidence please! No way!

Tons of threads, hundreds of posts on that years ago.

The only gasoline available is 95 octane at a current price of about 30 Baht/liter.

All other fuels are gasohol, either 10% with 91 or 95 octane or E20 or E85 and diesel of course.

Confusing useless article that sparks speculation: they want to abolish the 91 octane gasohol?

Makes sense as the price difference is marginal (today: 22.78 vs. 23.20).

http://www.pttplc.com/EN/Media-Center/Oil-Price/pages/Bangkok-Oil-Price.aspx

Edited by KhunBENQ

This is very old news. When was 91-octane last available at fuel stations??

Removed from sale mid 2013 from memory.

Unless they are saying they will now remove Gasahol 91 from sale as well but thats not how I read the article.

I assume they want to say exactly that, just not able to translate correctly.

Well Mr. P today introduced an app for Thais to practice English.

Things will improve biggrin.png

Edited by KhunBENQ

As already suspected: a plain wrong translation.

I found misc news reports from the last few days.

The headlines are more than clear:

Gasohol 91 will be abandoned within the next two years.

Gasohol 91 is a mix of gasoline/benzene with 10% ethanol.

http://news.mthai.com/hot-news/economy-news/482454.html

http://www.posttoday.com/biz/gov/419981

A close to nil event.

Those using gasohoil 91 will have to resort to gasohol 95 (about 0.5 Baht more expensive).

Who is dependent on gasoline/benzene (without ethanol) will still get gasoline/"Benzene 95".

At PTT stations its name in Thai is the transcription of "benzene 95".

Our Honda Click from 2011 shows a big "91" and above in Thai "gasohol (E10)".

When 91 is abolished just use gasohol 95 and that's it.

I could be wrong but in most European countries 91 octane of any blend is long gone?

Edited by KhunBENQ

So is 95 the red or yellow colour?

Orange biggrin.png Yellow is gasoline at selected PTT stations.

At least that was the picture last time I noticed.

I am so in routine that I usually do not even care, always look for "E20".

And PTT has got the brilliant idea to add a "Blue" in front of all their product marketing names gigglem.gif

Picture, from above:

• E20, 20 % Ethanol, almost all limousines from the past 5 years or so are certified for, not suitable for motorbikes usually!
  • Gasohol 95, 95 octane, 10 % ethanol
  • Gasohol 91, 91 octane, 10 % ethanol, to be abolished sooner or later
  • "Benzene" aka, Gasoline, the real stuff, no ethanol. Much more expensive and not needed for any modern vehicle. Not available at all stations

More and more stations also offer E85 (not on the picture).

Suitable only for cars certified for "flexfuel" (more and more on the market).

Red(!) plate as far as I remember.

post-99794-0-52490000-1457603749_thumb.j

Edited by KhunBENQ

Most cars still need benzene, even E85 cars. This is a poorly translated/written article, as regular benzene is as scarce as hens teeth already. If all benzene will be eliminated we may be going bedrock style as the above caption shows. Wonder who has shares / farms to generate ethanol? Let's not kid ourselves that this is anything to do with energy conservation / environment. There is money to be made!

The use of unleaded fuel will still be needed, for old equipment that cannot be converted, but at a reduced level as there will only be various types of gasohol, with new vehicles demanding the highest levels of ethanol content.