do you have friends on overstay?

Lately there have been posts of members clearing overstay, which has been really positive and good outcome for them. Some have very long overstays and now have clean sheet.

There is no data to back this up (that I know of) but im thinking there are many many here on overstay for various reasons. Do you think they will just do an Ostrich in regards to march 20

I know about a dozen people on overstay -- long term, chronic overstay. Some have expired passports also. These people are either elderly and/or have mental health issues. All have limited income and/or mobility and don't have the means -- either mental, physical or financial to clear their overstays before March 20th.

Interestingly, many of these people have had interactions with Thai police in the past, usually for a motorcycle accident and nothing has happened, except they've become victims of a bribe for the cop to look the other way about their overstay situation. I wonder if that will continue. The fact is, the cop doesn't want to deal with arresting, say, a 76 year old alcoholic European who can barely walk (let alone ride a motorscooter) who doesn't have a valid passport, much less a visa. Imagine the paperwork that guy is going to generate, not to image the fuss raised if the guy dies in his custody. Much easier to extort a 10,000 baht bribe from him and let him go, with a warning not to drink and drive again.

I wonder if this leniency will continue.

Call me a cynic, but I see the change as just a money making opportunity (raising the price of off the book services).

I'll be first to state that some time back I had very red neck bugger them attitude to overstay xpats.

That has changed. Sure there are some that have taken soft option as penalties were soft. (Unless arrested)

Since then I can see that some people get into situation for one reason or another. I'm more flexible. I hope that many on os can sort it before march 20. Seems many are not in position to

I know at least 5 guys who are currently on overstays, 3 from neighboring Asian countries 1 African and 1 Swiss expat, they wont sort out their overstays because they can not afford it, I believe there are at least 1 million illegals from Cambodia and Burma living in Thailand, i can easily get you a dozen of over-stayers who are illegal workers here just head to sukumvit Nana or pratunam and you will see dozens of cambo and Burmese.

Edited by marcofunny

I know about a dozen people on overstay -- long term, chronic overstay. Some have expired passports also. These people are either elderly and/or have mental health issues. All have limited income and/or mobility and don't have the means -- either mental, physical or financial to clear their overstays before March 20th.

Interestingly, many of these people have had interactions with Thai police in the past, usually for a motorcycle accident and nothing has happened, except they've become victims of a bribe for the cop to look the other way about their overstay situation. I wonder if that will continue. The fact is, the cop doesn't want to deal with arresting, say, a 76 year old alcoholic European who can barely walk (let alone ride a motorscooter) who doesn't have a valid passport, much less a visa. Imagine the paperwork that guy is going to generate, not to image the fuss raised if the guy dies in his custody. Much easier to extort a 10,000 baht bribe from him and let him go, with a warning not to drink and drive again.

I wonder if this leniency will continue.

My guess would be It will continue Nancy, for all the reasons you have stated above smile.png

• Like 1

Good to see some opinions other than those the holier-than-thou crowd offer regularly.

It's not a case of holler than thou, it's a case of non Thais being in a foreign country who are quite happy to flout the laws for their own benefits. In this very thread you read of older foreigners who are sadly described as demented and incapable of fending for themselves, not nice but how the hell do they survive and what type of lives do they lead ? It seems from reading this forum that these guys lives are at a dead end and it's almost impossible to sink any lower, yet the law is the law and that's end of ! Then there was another poster who admitted he possibly has a criminal record after being imprisoned so again, where is the respect for the law ?

Are you suggesting that the laws of Thailand be changed to cater differently for those say in the 20-50 year group then another set of rules for the 50-70 group and over 70 the law allows total immunity ?

Yes they cannot be any fairer than they have been.

No doubt about it

While that is true regarding overstayers,the whole visa system is completely flawed unfortunately,if people over 50 and those under 50 for that matter who have children or are married can buy 1 year extensions of stay from numerous visa agents in tourist hot spots such as Pattaya then the whole system needs changing as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 2

Yes they cannot be any fairer than they have been.

No doubt about it

While that is true regarding overstayers,the whole visa system is completely flawed unfortunately,if people over 50 and those under 50 for that matter who have children or are married can buy 1 year extensions of stay from numerous visa agents in tourist hot spots such as Pattaya then the whole system needs changing as far as I'm concerned.

If what you say is true then yes it needs changing.

Edited by Eclipse

I knew of 3 people who overstayed,all older expats who had been married for many years,one guy recently died whilst on overstay,another is still on overstay and sells food at the local markets and travelling fairs and the third has recently returned to his home country.

These people were all on significant overstay of periods not less than 5 years the longest was 9 years.

These people all lived up country where in my opinion you are much less likely to encounter any problems from police or immigration,the guy who worked also did so in plain sight of police actually outside the main police station in town,I am of the opinion also that police up country simply can not be bothered with the hassle of it all.

That said it doesn't make it right but on the flip side these people were in essence doing nothing to damage the local economy etc although I understand the frustration of people myself included who ensure that they stay legal when living in the kingdom.

It really is a shame that when older expats are no longer mobile and healthy that they aren't afforded a little more compassion from the immigration here,I am of the opinion that there are simply times when under certain circumstances people simply are better off overstaying especially if physical or mental health is failing wether that makes it right or not is not for me to say but that is my opinion.

They are being shown compassion....its called an annual visa.

• Like 1

From reading Thaivisa you'd think overstayers were more derided than hardcore criminals, drug peddlers, ATM skimmers and the like. Seems to get people riled up more than anything else. Why? That would be an interesting thread topic.