Baking Bread...when to slit loaves?

Kenny202

Bit confused as to when to cut slits in the top of the bread. I've been doing it after the second rise just before putting the loaves in the oven but then of course the loaf deflates and I get scones. What's the correct procedure?

Made a couple of loaves today. Proved, punched down. Nice long second rise. Came up really high (didn't slit). Carefully put them in the oven and they fell straight away and didn't really rise back again.

Made a couple of loaves today. Proved, punched down. Nice long second rise. Came up really high (didn't slit). Carefully put them in the oven and they fell straight away and didn't really rise back again.

I tend to put my dough in the baking tray and then put it in the oven at 40 degrees to rise again. Then after an hour or so I just turn the temperature up. This way there is no physical shock of movement to cause the dough to collapse.

I tend to put my dough in the baking tray and then put it in the oven at 40 degrees to rise again. Then after an hour or so I just turn the temperature up. This way there is no physical shock of movement to cause the dough to collapse.

I do it the same way at 50 degrees. Just before I put them in the oven, I slit... with a sharp knife, that is paramount. For years I used the wrong sharpeners, now I found a good one at Lazada, here.

post-5472-0-07274000-1457473341_thumb.jp

post-5472-0-85667700-1457473377_thumb.jp

Edited by Dario

Probably letting it rise too long the second time.

Before starting to bake:

You need to test the dough itself for its condition by doing the "poke test." Poke your finger into the dough to make a 1/2" indentation and watch for how well the indentation fills back in. If it fills in quickly, dough is not risen enough; if it doesn't fill in at all, dough has risen too much (best to deflate/punch down and start again). You are looking for the point at which the dough springs back slowly and partially, that means your dough has risen just enough to be ready for baking.

Once you've figured out how long this process takes for a particular dough in your kitchen at a given temperature, then you can go by time, but it's best to still monitor the dough.

Edited by Suradit69

where the best place to buy yeast

If you have a bakery nearby, ask them for some as their turn over of yeast will be better than what you can buy in the shops and you'll get fresher yeast. Edited by Bantex

Bit confused as to when to cut slits in the top of the bread. I've been doing it after the second rise just before putting the loaves in the oven but then of course the loaf deflates and I get scones. What's the correct procedure?

How deep are you cutting the slits and what is the temperature of the oven when you put the bread in?

I agree, it also control your temperature better. When it rise outside the temperature will vary and thus the rising time. If it rise inside the oven the temperature is more constant and the rising time to.

I buy the large 500g packets of dried yeast in Makro. I split it into 4 of those small plastic hermetic containers of which I freeze 3 and keep 1 in the fridge. Then I progressively move the other 3 to the fridge for use as needed. Lasts for months with no apparent loss of vigour.

I do it the same way at 50 degrees. Just before I put them in the oven, I slit... with a sharp knife, that is paramount. For years I used the wrong sharpeners, now I found a good one at Lazada, here.

20160203_112818z.jpg

IMG_5564z.jpg

At the beginning or end of second rising is usual. As said, overrisen dough will collapse. Rolling the dough into a baguette shape or round, try to give it some wound up tension with your hands so it will expand along the shape you gave it. You should do this even if you put it into a loaf pan. Egg white wash often brushed on top of the loaf before the slits are made.

If you have a bakery nearby, ask them for some as their turn over of yeast will be better than what you can buy in the shops and you'll get fresher yeast.
I bought a big packet of dry yeast at Makro over a year ago. Have kept it in the pack, sealed and in an airtight box in the fridge. Still going strong

I believe that will be because the second rise was too much.

I will try your way, thank you thumbsup.gif

Edited by Tchooptip

attachicon.gif20160203_112818z.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_5564z.jpg

That bread looks amazing! So to clarify, you mix, knead and prove until double size etc....punch down....slit top then put into cool oven for 2nd rise for an hour or so. Then whack the temperature up to 180. Do I have that about right?

BY the way. Looks like you don't use a bread tin. Do you just throw it on a tray in a rectangular shape?

Try Jim Lahey's No Knead Bread - see http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11376-no-knead-bread. There is also a video on YouTube. It is not only the easiest but also best bread you can make at home. Genius. If you do it as described in the recipe, the top of your loaf will split on its own, just like you would get from a commercial bakery.

I love the video, its very convincing, the only drawback (I'm afraid) home oven are not hot enough?

I bought one on Lazada 10,000 Baht, mainly for bread and Pizza, but it heats "only" to 220° not sure its enough for this recipe ?