Sanders is surprise victor in Michigan; Trump keeps winning

webfact

Sanders is surprise victor in Michigan; Trump keeps winning

LANSING, Michigan (AP) — Bernie Sanders breathed new life into his long-shot White House bid with a crucial win in Michigan's primary Tuesday night, chipping away at Hillary Clinton's dominance in the Democratic presidential race. Republican Donald Trump swept to victory in both Michigan and Mississippi, overcoming fierce efforts to blunt his momentum.

Even with Sanders' win, Clinton and Trump moved closer to a general election face-off. Clinton breezed to an easy victory in Mississippi, propelled by overwhelming support from black voters, and she now has more than half the delegates she needs to clinch the Democratic nomination. Trump, too, padded his lead over Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, his closest rival.

The front-runners turned their sights on November as they reveled in their victories.

"We are better than what we are being offered by the Republicans," Clinton declared.

In a nod toward the kind of traditional politics he's shunned, Trump emphasized the importance of helping Republican senators and House members get elected in November. Having entered Tuesday's contests facing a barrage of criticism from rival candidates and outside groups, he also delighted in overcoming the attacks.

"Every single person who has attacked me has gone down," Trump said at one of his Florida resorts. He was flanked by tables packed with his branded retail products, including steaks, bottled water and wine, and defended his business record more thoroughly than he outlined his policy proposals for the country.

Sanders, meanwhile, said Michigan signaled that his campaign "is strong in every part of the country, and frankly we believe our strongest areas are yet to happen."

While a handful of recent losses to Texas Sen. Ted Cruz have raised questions about Trump's durability, Tuesday's contests marked another lost opportunity for rivals to slow his momentum. Next week's winner-take-all primaries in Ohio and Florida loom especially large as perhaps the last chance to stop Trump short of a long-shot contested convention fight.

Ohio Gov. John Kasich was in a fight for second place in Michigan and hoping a good showing would give him a boost heading into next week's crucial contest in his home state. Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, a favorite of Republican elected officials, continued to struggle Tuesday, upping the stakes for him at home on March 15.

If Rubio and Kasich can't win at home, the Republican primary appears set to become a two-person race between Trump and Cruz, an uncompromising conservative. The Texas senator is sticking close to Trump in the delegate count and with six states in his win column, he's argued he's the only candidate standing between the brash billionaire and the Republican nomination.

During a campaign stop at a North Carolina church Tuesday, Cruz took on Trump for asking rally attendees to raise their hands and pledge their allegiance to him. He said the move strikes him as "profoundly wrong" and is something "kings and queens demand" of their subjects.

"I'm not here asking any of you to pledge your support of me," Cruz said, to thunderous applause and cheers. "I'm pledging my support of you."

Republicans were also holding contests Tuesday in Hawaii and Idaho. Republican candidates were fighting for 150 delegates, while 179 Democratic delegates were at stake in the party's two primaries. The delegates will select each party's presidential nominee at national conventions in July.

The economy ranked high on the list of concerns for voters heading to the polls in Michigan and Mississippi. At least 8 in 10 voters in each party's primary said they were worried about where the American economy is heading, according to early exit polls conducted for The Associated Press and television networks.

Among Democrats, 8 in 10 voters in both states said the country's economic system benefits the wealthy, not all Americans.

Sanders has sought to tap into that concern, energizing young people and white working-class voters with his calls for breaking up Wall Street banks and making tuition free at public colleges and universities. Michigan, with big college towns and a sizeable population of working-class voters, should be a good fit for him. But Clinton has led in polling.

The results in Mississippi underscored Clinton's overwhelming strength with black voters and Sanders' stunning inability to draw support from a constituency who are crucial to Democrats in the general election. Clinton carried nearly 9 in 10 black voters in Mississippi, mirroring her margins in other Southern states with large African-American populations.

After Tuesday's results, Clinton has accumulated 1,214 delegates and Sanders 566, including superdelegates — members of Congress, governors and party officials who can support the candidate of their choice at the convention. Democrats need 2,383 delegates to win the nomination.

With Tuesday's wins, Trump leads the Republican field with 428 delegates, followed by Cruz with 315, Rubio with 151 and Kasich with 52. Winning the Republican nomination requires 1,237 delegates.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-03-09

What we really have to do here is to make an all-out assault on Trump. We could get some really big names to condemn him like Mitt Romney. Maybe a couple or three other former loser POTUS candidates will join the chorus. We'll get the super rich Wall Street guys to buy tens of millions of dollars in TV ads making untrue and distorted statements about Trump.

Oops we already did that and it didn't work. Sorry 'about that.

Trump made an acceptance speech tonight to a big crowd and all of the TV networks covered it, of course. Hillary the loser gave a speech and NOT ONE network covered it. That's the truth.

Cheers.

Trump easily takes Michigan in prize state primary but Sanders is the main surprise

606x341_326564.jpg

Trump scores easy wins in Michigan and Mississippi
Sanders causes Clinton upset
Rubio has brutal night

LANSING: -- Republican front runner Donald Trump easily took two of the latest primaries, Mississippi and Michigan, consolidating his lead in the race to become his party’s presidential candidate.

The wins have restored his unconventional campaign’s momentum and raised the pressure on mainstream Republicans to try and stop him.

“The turnout has been just massive, every week. We have Democrats coming over, very importantly, we have independents coming over. We have people coming over here, who have never voted Republican, who have never even thought about it,” Trump told supporters.

The Michigan victory sets Trump up for a potentially decisive day of voting a week from Tuesday. On March 15, Ohio, Florida, Illinois, Missouri and North Carolina – like Michigan, states rich in the delegates who will select their party’s nominee at July’s Republican National Convention – cast ballots.

For the Democrats there was a major surprise with Bernie Sanders defying the polls and engaging Hillary Clinton in a tight race for Michigan ending up with projections giving him a narrow win.

“What tonight means is that Bernie Sanders campaign, the people’s revolution, the political revolution we’re talking about is strong in every part of the country and frankly we believe that our strongest areas are yet to happen,” said Sanders.

Clinton who had earlier won Mississippi was disappointed with Michigan but the delegates will be split there due to the state’s proportional award system.

The main loser on the night was Republican Marco Rubio, the US senator from Florida who has been the establishment favorite since other mainstream candidates dropped out of the race. However he lagged badly in both Michigan and Mississippi is unlikely to win delegates in either.

In Idaho Republican Ted Cruz was projected to win the primary there, with Hawaii still to be counted.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-03-09

Would love to see a psychological profile of the trumpers. Anybody? Ah, no, too scary, insane.

Well, since millions of people have voted for him, you have your work cut out for you.

Of course you could always support the wealthy, corrupt, powerful Wall Street people who are spending tens of millions of dollars on TV ads trying to stop him from stealing their power and influence.

You could support corrupt career politicians who are panicking because Trump might steal their candy store. The wealthy class can spend unlimited amounts of money supporting their puppets and after they do, they own the puppets. That's been going on for a long time.

For me it's simple. I've had it "up to here" with the corrupt power brokers and would love to see a general election between Bernie and Trump. Nothing psychological about it. It's all biz. I will not continue to support the corrupt elite insiders. That includes Hillary, Bush, Rubio the robot, and several others who have been handed their hats already.

Psychological huh. No, the people are voting for outsiders hoping to clean up DC. Hillary will probably get the nomination because the corrupt system gave her hundreds of superdelegates before the race began.

I would love to see a psychological profile of people who could vote for Hillary knowing how corrupt she is.

Cheers.

Edited by NeverSure

It looks like the LEFT, or Democrats have a dilemma to choose between a liar and a Jew.

Trump will win Republicans. What next?

All my money on Trump.

"It looks like the LEFT, or Democrats have a dilemma to choose between a liar and a Jew."

Wow!

What a racist statement.

It's rather obvious why people like you support Trump!

It looks like the LEFT, or Democrats have a dilemma to choose between a liar and a Jew.

All my money on Trump.

"It looks like the LEFT, or Democrats have a dilemma to choose between a liar and a Jew."

Wow!

What a racist statement.

Racist? Just exactly what race are Jews? What race are liars?

Your race card is getting pretty dog-eared. You need to come up with something a bit more original.

Cheers.

All my money on Trump.

Wow!

What a racist statement.

Perhaps you meant.... Wow!...,what a half bigoted statement, with heavy overtones of strong (if spurious) opinion.

Cheers ?

All my money on Trump.

Wow!

What a racist statement.

Your race card is getting pretty dog-eared. You need to come up with something a bit more original.

Cheers.

I will concede that there are people who follow the Jewish faith who are not genetically Jew, for instance Sammy Davis Jr.

But DNA testing has proved that genetically, there is a Jewish race..

Uninformed is another trait of Trump supporters...just act on your knee jerk emotions and biases.

You could do some research if this modern research has passed you by.

post-147745-0-47883100-1457534918_thumb.

The age-old debate over whether Jews constitute a race or a religion appears to have been settled by the science of DNA..

Wow!

What a racist statement.

Cheers.

I will concede that there are people who follow the Jewish faith who are not genetically Jew, for instance Sammy Davis Jr.

Uninformed is another trait of Trump supporters...just act on your knee jerk emotions and biases.

attachicon.gifchosen-gene-580-border.jpg

The age-old debate over whether Jews constitute a race or a religion appears to have been settled by the science of DNA..

Anyone of any race can be a Jew. Bernie is Caucasian. You seem to be the racist one around here, worrying about what race people are and calling liars a race.

Cheers.

All my money on Trump.

And people need to ask regarding the "psychological profile" of a Trump supporter? Why pay when that profile is free for the taking at any Trump rally, or just here on ThaiVisa. Although for further clarity perhaps just take a walk around any trailer park in the US where you see a Confederate flag attached to a double-wide.

All my money on Trump.

And people need to ask regarding the "psychological profile" of a Trump supporter? Why pay when that profile is free for the taking at any Trump rally, or just here on ThaiVisa. Although for further clarity perhaps just take a walk around any trailer park in the US where you see a Confederate flag attached to a double-wide.

Another war the "USA" never really ended. ! OMG! cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Voters numbering in the millions are open to, or already fully supportive of a Trump presidency due to his focus on so-called free trade.

Emotions aside, yes I am biased, and proudly so, on behalf of the American worker who's been shafted time and again since NAFTA was signed. The real question at this point is what emotions and biases are those opposing Trump's trade platform acting on? Any insights you wish to share?

Wow!

What a racist statement.

Cheers.

attachicon.gifchosen-gene-580-border.jpg

Anyone of any race can be a Jew. Bernie is Caucasian. You seem to be the racist one around here, worrying about what race people are and calling liars a race.

Cheers.

Nice try, but no save.

I never mentioned liars even once.

Liers are of every race and can't be detected by DNA.,

As I stated, there are those who follow the Jewish faith who are not genetically Jewish.

Yes, there is a difference between race and religion.

I know of people of Jewish decent who are Christians or even Atheist!

In fact, the first Christians and even Christ were genetically Jews.

Mo, he was not a tall, handsome, white European.

I believe in DNA and science.

Science, another thing Trump supporters can't get their heads around. ( Climate change?)

These are facts,

but Trump supporters are not concerned with facts, are they?.

Fact Check finds 75% of what Trump says to be untrue.

Now, there's a lier for you!

"PolitiFact checked 77 Trump statements and found that 76 percent of them were Mostly False, False or Pants on Fire.

In other words, for every four statements Donald Trump makes, only one of them is true, according to the site."

Get over yourself, you are a racist..

post-147745-0-47088000-1457536789_thumb.

Edited by willyumiii

Voters numbering in the millions are open to, or already fully supportive of a Trump presidency due to his focus on so-called free trade.

Emotions aside, yes I am biased, and proudly so, on behalf of the American worker who's been shafted time and again since NAFTA was signed. The real question at this point is what emotions and biases are those opposing Trump's trade platform acting on? Any insights you wish to share?

I will only ask you not to put so much weight into what Trump is saying now, when he i campaigning and telling people what they want to hear.

Please look into Trumps history of his dealings with China and then form your own opinion.

Trump now claims " China, and other countries, and Mexico ( as he said it) have stolen our jobs and factories"

The jobs and factories were not stolen.

They were intentionally sent there by American corporate billionaires, so they can increase their wealth by taking advantage of the Asian workers who work for slave wages under slave like conditions.

Another interesting read on Trumps economics

http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2016/03/would_trumps_trade_policy_really_cause_a_recession.html

Although not true that Trump was the only candidate to be against TPP... Bernie also against TPP as well

Exactly!

We're already in a trade war, and anyone living overseas, much less in Thailand, should know that already (as well as know we're getting our rears whipped). American products are heavily taxed in overseas markets, while the opposite is almost always the case back home. Enough is enough.

All Bernie and Trump are looking to do is even the playing field. How any American could be against that, boggles the mind.

I first noticed Trump as a world thinker when I saw him on TV back in the 1990's. Bill Clinton had signed NAFTA which gave the US store away to China and he was incensed. He predicted the large loss of jobs and a replacement with no jobs or mediocre jobs and he was right. He used the words "China is ripping us off" and that resonated with me.

He's still singing the same tune but he wants to get tough with corporations that send their jobs to China and Mexico etc. and he also wants to get tough with those that charge tariffs on imports from the US while getting to export to the US duty free.

I don't know how anyone can think he's wrong about that.

I've also heard him talk about how illegals come in and work for less than minimum wage, save money by sharing housing and send a lot of what they earn back to Mexico. All the while they lower the value of work which should be done by Americans for at least minimum wage.

I think he's serious because he's been saying it for at least 20 years with a lot of disgust in his voice about it. I know that Hillary is same ole. I know that the other R candidates are same ole. I know that most of the other candidates are owned by huge donors.

I'm going to vote for Trump and give him a shot because I KNOW what the rest of them are.

Cheers.

I will only ask you not to put so much weight into what Trump is saying now, when he i campaigning and telling people what they want to hear.

Please look into Trumps history of his dealings with China and then form your own opinion.

Trump now claims " China, and other countries, and Mexico ( as he said it) have stolen our jobs and factories"

They were intentionally sent there by American corporate billionaires, so they can increase their wealth by taking advantage of the Asian workers who work for slave wages under slave like conditions.

The point is, jobs are being stolen. That's irrefutable. And while, yes, primarily it's America's multinational corporations that are "stealing" them away from Americans--exporting them in order to skirt our environmental and labor laws--where I'm from, willingly accepting stolen goods is also a crime. So in that sense, countries like China and Mexico are guilty too.

That you believe he's only telling me what I want to hear...well, in 2008 I fell for Obama hook, line and sinker, so I grant you, my credibility is lacking in these things. Nonetheless, I'm willing to take another chance at believing someone, whether it be Trump or Bernie, I'd be happy (though Bernie's remark the other day about whites not knowing poverty was a major blow to my faith in him).

"Everybody who has attacked me has gone down".

And that tr. trash wants to become potus.

God save the world.

Would be great for Trump to repeat that at Tiananmen if he has the b**** and watch ten bus loads of Chinese spit at him simultaneously to test their aiming skills

At least that would be a spectacle to watch and laugh at instead of getting annoyed at the sounds made

The point is, jobs are being stolen. That's irrefutable. And while, yes, primarily it's America's multinational corporations that are "stealing" them away from Americans--exporting them in order to skirt our environmental and labor laws--where I'm from, willingly accepting stolen goods is also a crime. So in that sense, countries like China and Mexico are guilty too.

That you believe he's only telling me what I want to hear...well, in 2008 I fell for Obama hook, line and sinker, so I grant you, my credibility is lacking in these things. Nonetheless, I'm willing to take another chance at believing someone, whether it be Trump or Bernie, I'd be happy (though Bernie's remark the other day about whites not knowing poverty was a major blow to my faith in him).

I sounds like you are paying attention and trying to figure this mess out.

.That's good. Too many people don't think and just react.

For what it's worth, Bernie addressed that comment today and , in my opinion, clarified it.

You can probably find it on Youtube and form your own opinion.

I do think he is the only one for the people and not the big corporations, and that's why the corporate media doesn't give him any attention unless they are forced to.

Good luck.