The bank are lying to you. I have a Kasikorn savings account which I got whilst on an Ed visa.

Make sure you ask for a savings account, not a 'current' account.

Do you get yearly extensions based on retirement ? This requires a bank account doesn't it ?

Just try another branch...some branches are not farang friendly and/or have personnel who just don't know the rules.

When opening the account be sure they code you as a "resident" otherwise the account will not earn interest---that's another trick some branches try to play on some farangs.

I only have a retirement visa/extension of stay....have multiple accounts at Bangkok Bank and Krungsri Bank....never been turned down on any account opening (knock on wood).

Edited by Pib

I opened my Kasikorn savings account years ago whilst on 30 day tourist visa. For my address they put the hotel were I stayed at the time. New passbooks & ATM cards obtained in any Kasikorn branch as needed. I've never been asked to update my address or any other details.

As PIB notes above, front line employees aren't always up to speed on foreign customer procedures. I've had to go around them at both BKK Bank and Krungsi when first opening accounts because I knew they were wrong. After consulting the branch manager and/or a few calls to "main office", no ploblum, account opened.

If this branch is the most convenient for you, return and try again, highlighting your Non-O visa category. Keep your cool, be polite, but firm. The clerk who told you "No" will ultimately be embarrassed when proven wrong, but smile and let him/her off the hook gently, as you'll have to deal with him/her for years to come.

The bank are lying to you. I have a Kasikorn savings account which I got whilst on an Ed visa.

Do you get yearly extensions based on retirement ? This requires a bank account doesn't it ?

When was this? I tried about 2 years ago and was denied. I have a feeling different banks probably have different policies......

When was this? I tried about 2 years ago and was denied. I have a feeling different banks probably have different policies......

A bank has a single policy, it's the branches that fail to comply in a consistent manner, for various reasons.

If the particular brand, services, and branch location is important to you, as it is/was for me, then delicate persistence will very likely, lead to success. Pick your battles, and all that.

If any old bank and branch location will suffice, and you've got options and time, then sure, just walk around until you find one that does the job first time.

Edited by 55Jay

A bank has a single policy, it's the branches that fail to comply in a consistent manner, for various reasons.

If the particular brand, services, and branch location is important to you, as it is/was for me, then delicate persistence will very likely, lead to success. Pick your battles, and all that.

If any old bank and branch location will suffice, and you've got options and time, then sure, just walk around until you find one that does the job first time.

I congratulate you to this, but for me it is too difficult if I am not backed up by a Thai who is higher in class than the clerk.

The clerks (not only in the banks) come up with so awkward reasons and if you try to explain it, you get either another awkward reason or no hab.

I congratulate you to this, but for me it is too difficult if I am not backed up by a Thai who is higher in class than the clerk.

The clerks (not only in the banks) come up with so awkward reasons and if you try to explain it, you get either another awkward reason or no hab.

I suppose that could be one of the nuances at play in some cases, caste/appearances matter in human societies, sadly, quite a bit so in Thailand, Asia in general, from what I've gather. And yes, sometimes the bureaucratic technicalities from officious little people, are enough to make you laugh out loud, or pull your hair out. Chok dee.