Jomtien Beach facelift hits the rocks

Rimmer

Jomtien Beach facelift hits the rocks

n7facelift1.jpg

PATTAYA:--Plans to lay large decorative boulders along Jomtien Beach as a natural attempt to mitigate erosion are now in limbo amid protests from vendors who say they will do more harm than good.

Pattaya mayoral advisor Pattana Boonsawat met with local residents, business owners and street sellers March 2 to review plans for the barrier, digging for which has already begun along a 500-meter stretch of the beachfront footpath beginning at Soi 19.

Pattana said the project, part of the overall Jomtien Beach facelift, will benefit tourism, but also will affect local vendors and look odd when only rocks are left if sand is washed away.

Local vendors and residents proposed that the boulders instead to be used to create a rock barrier next to where boats pick up customers, including the area in front of Surf Kitchen and the other in front of Chaiyapruek Road.

- See more at: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/jomtien-beach-facelift-hits-the-rocks-56582#sthash.jTwO58o0.dpuf

pattayamaillogo.png
-- Pattaya Mail 2016-03-11 footer_n.gif

Easy, get rid of 90 % of all the permanent beach vendors.

that would make the area, way more friendly to Tourists. thumbsup.gif

They act like they own the beach,

The beach vendors: It's their country and it's their living. Shame on you for telling them to get away. They probably have more rights of ownership to the beach then you do. It's the property of the King of Thailand and they are his subjects, not you or me.

Gee, you would think they would cover this during the planning stage, if there was one. Considering the extensive removal of trees, which helped stop erosion, and also provided shade of those who happen to like doing a nice walk, was done without discussion by "affected parties" aka tourists, residents... well... I reckon they will do whatever they please & generates "income". Who gets that income is another subject.

Gee, you would think they would cover this during the planning stage, if there was one. Considering the extensive removal of trees, which helped stop erosion, and also provided shade of those who happen to like doing a nice walk, was done without discussion by "affected parties" aka tourists, residents... well... I reckon they will do whatever they please & generates "income". Who gets that income is another subject.

I think the INCOME that drives projects like this is that obtained in kickbacks from awarding contracts. No real planning necessary if you are not really invested in the end product, just the bidding process before work starts.

The beach vendors: It's their country and it's their living. Shame on you for telling them to get away. They probably have more rights of ownership to the beach then you do. It's the property of the King of Thailand and they are his subjects, not you or me.

and that means still,

the beach is not the vendors one !!

But they put all their shit and wastewater just there !

I have a condo there,

never ever spended 1 minute there in the sea !!

I have never seen such a mess. It's already absolutely filthy, and the bins stink to high heaven every day. There is waste filling every corner, and empty beer bottles and cans galore! The sand on the beach looks like a rubbish tornado has hit it every morning, a lovely sight for tourists and locals to wake up to. Forget it, I have, and after seeing videos of the fowl water that's dumped in the water every day, ( taken from a friends view taley condo, ) I wouldn't swim there if you paid me. That, and a few local businesses who empty their cooking oil into the storm drains, I think there's nothing positive to be done there.

I think their park planning department is next to the traffic engineers and their band of geniuses. Forget it Jake, It's Thailand.

There are far too many square holes presumably intended for decorative or Tree plantations making walking hazardous. Future maintenance-free walkways should have been built into the specifications. Already parts of the new developments are looking shabby which is a pity because the materials and concepts seem good except for the high maintenance 'holes' which should have been limited to a fraction of what is there and as yet unfinished.

Maybe you should look up the word Tourist. ( hint hint )

Vendors do not own the beach.

but they act like it.wai2.gif

It's a pity Pattaya uses its limited renovation/maintenance resources so poorly. Jomtien Beach really only needed the sidewalks repaired and, in some areas, widened a bit. Some added seating would have been nice. Instead, so many trees were needlessly removed and we are getting a very poorly designed mess--at least they can forget the seating, it's way too hot to sit with no trees left. If just basic maintenance work on the sidewalks had been done, money would have been left over to repair many other sidewalks in other areas that are in dire need of repair--and in lots of areas there are no sidewalks at all or gaps with no sidewalks. A good example is Pattaya Second Road in the Imperial Hotel area on both sides of the road--very busy with walking tourists and residents and the sidewalks are horrible.

Don't overlook the fact that it is the " locals" who are leaving their rubbish on the beach and prom. Every day they are camped out there with chairs and mats , even gas cookers, making it sometimes impossible to pass by. Maybe they should try a clean up my beach campaign , on the spot, advertising, and in schools and tv. Nobody has yet mentioned the pick ups and cars parked evenings along the road and blasting out their decibal breakers to all around, and spoiling many beach side restaurants business. Also, the chair business on the beach must take their part in cleaning up, after dragging the heavy over flowing juice leaking bin bags to the bins on the roadside.The one time last month an official team visited the beach prom, it was cleaned and washed early morning !!!

It's a pity Pattaya uses its limited renovation/maintenance resources so poorly. Jomtien Beach really only needed the sidewalks repaired and, in some areas, widened a bit. Some added seating would have been nice. Instead, so many trees were needlessly removed and we are getting a very poorly designed mess--at least they can forget the seating, it's way too hot to sit with no trees left. If just basic maintenance work on the sidewalks had been done, money would have been left over to repair many other sidewalks in other areas that are in dire need of repair--and in lots of areas there are no sidewalks at all or gaps with no sidewalks. A good example is Pattaya Second Road in the Imperial Hotel area on both sides of the road--very busy with walking tourists and residents and the sidewalks are horrible.

I think that the footpaths in general throughout Thailand leave a lot to be desired . With broken or uneven paving slabs and sometimes missing completely , 2 foot drops to cross the road plus street vendors taking half of the walkway . I dread to think how an invalid or someone in a wheelchair can cope .

What rubbish! Get off your bar stool and take a walk. + 95% of tourists, Thais and expats use the chair vendors. There are beaches in NaJomtien with no vendors if you like that. They are all empty of people too.

What rubbish! Get off your bar stool and take a walk. + 95% of tourists, Thais and expats use the chair vendors. There are beaches in NaJomtien with no vendors if you like that. They are all empty of people too.

Na Jomtien beaches are increasingly full of Thais from seems to be mainly Bangkok Friday, Saturday and Sunday often hard to find somewhere to park a car

thankfully there are still very few annoying vendors only 1 or 2 an hour instead of every 10 seconds at Pattaya and 20 seconds at Jomtien beaches.

"Plans to lay large decorative boulders along Jomtien Beach as a natural attempt to mitigate erosion are now in limbo amid protests from vendors who say they will do more harm than good."

It is hard to imagine that the same people who created the beach erosion problem by cutting down hundreds of old-growth trees on the beach and replacing them with concrete are now talking about putting down more concrete to fix the problem they created.

Now both beach promenades, in both Pattaya and Jomtien, have to be fixed. Foreign experts should be hired to design a "green promenade" that is people friendly. Foreign engineers should be used to construct the new promenades. I could have designed a better project when I was in kindergarten, using crayons. Both projects are a total disaster.

They look horrible (like a freeway). They are not people friendly (no place to sit in the shade). They are promoting beach erosion (mainly because of the tree slaughter). And the construction is a mess (already breaking apart). Most of the Thais are not using the beach chairs--they are throwing mats down on the concrete. The walkway is now a filthy mess.

To fix the erosion problem they created, a major tree-planting campaign should be an essential part of the project--replacing all of the old-growth trees (especially the Ironwood and Asian Almond trees they destroyed). They must have cut down hundreds of old-growth trees (idiots). Planting palm trees will do nothing to prevent erosion.

In addition, proper sewers and drainage systems (including redirecting water runoff to the ocean) need to be put in place.

I have never seen such a FUBAR project in my entire life. Congratulations Thailand!

The beach chair vendors have some claim here since they are paying rent for their spaces. Getting rid of 90 % of all these "other" vendors

who lie around in groups on the beach and walkway all day smoking cigarettes, when they are not hasseling folks sitting on the beach is in order.

Edited by morrobay

The beach chair vendors have some claim here since they are paying rent for their spaces. Getting rid of 90 % of all these "other" vendors

who lie around in groups on the beach and walkway all day smoking cigarettes, when they are not hasseling folks sitting on the beach is in order.

Ok, get rid of 50% of them.

There is to many of them and they are way to territorial about it.

The place will be better for tourists.

Try setting up your mat with you Thai family before the deck chairs are out.

let us know how its goes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, maybe we will see it on U-tube ?

I don't bother with the beaches in Pattaya or Jomtien for the last 10 years.

not a nice day out, ( well done Vendors/ Hawkers )

i go else where , much nicer, also vendors of my choice. thumbsup.gif

Beaches are for the people not the Vendors / Hawkers . wai2.gif

I think it will look good when the project has finished.

Hate to pop your bubble, but it will never be finished. These are life time cash cows with no expectation for completion. They might say it is finished at some date, but just to open up new bids.

For reference look at Jomtien second road. I've watched it for years and years and still not complete.

• 3 months later...

They are starting to finish this project now , tonight the new palm trees are being fitted to the square holes , so by tomorrow the whole pavement from the police station and up should look quite different . Some pictures I took this evening

2016_06_29_20_49_14.jpg2016_06_29_20_49_56.jpg

2016_06_29_20_11_48.jpg