52 yo Australian retired what to do

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys can't be serious, dead end business ideas, tell them too get a job, they would of had one before you showed up time they went out and got another one, why the hell you offering a free ride for?

Did your ex Aussie wife sit at some road side selling pork ribs? If she was like my ex she had a decent job earned a decent income and helped run the house.

"why the hell you offering a free ride for?"

""If she was like my ex she had a decent job earned a decent income and helped run the house.""

And some silly people claim both romance and the concept of marriage are dead.

I havent read the rest , but you do NOT have to be a "Non-resident for taxation purposes" !

You are only that if YOU nominate to be so , and dont let any accountant tell you otherwise.

( Thus you pay 'normal' tax - and will/may be eligible for a pension )

Simply ALWAYS state you are on extended vacation on any Aus documentation , never ever admit you are Living O/S , and make yearly or 2 visits home , and maintain a permanent address at a friends or kids place.

No one can 'make' you be a non-resident or stop 'holidaying' , as long as you maintain thats what you are doing.

I have been doing this here for 8 years .

Dont know what the others have rec'd re the missus and biz - just dont outlay precious capital on things you cant own !

Get to know lots of people , and small jobs will fall into her hands.

Mine does laundry , cleans villas and is a casual in a restaurant - all work thats up to her and all the cash she keeps....

Finally : DO NOT BUY A HOUSE !!

By the time you identify a suitable, sustainable business based on a sound biz model/ ROI and then fully explore the issues with legally setting up a company and your visa, then, dealing with "solly, you no understand Thai way" my best advice to you is.........

Have a good look at Cambodia!

Edited by khun custard

I had a bucket list. I completed the list this year. There were a lot of things I wanted to do.

1. Went to China for a total of 2 months and explored. (Absolutely fascinating)

2. Prospect for gold in Purgatory Gulch. Had fun and got some gold.

3. Get a job driving heavy equipment and monster construction equipment. That was a lot of fun and thrilling.

4. Open a Restaurant. Was a success. Had fun and enjoyed it. Closed after 2 years. Will do it again.

5. Work in wildland management. Very rewarding and fun. 4 Years.

6. Started a non profit serving American Indians with stuff they need. VERY rewarding. I burned out.Too much work.

7. Work with handicap and disabled young people. 2 years.

8. Worked with RSVP Retired Senior Volunteer Program. Matched seniors with community organizations.

9. Joint Action in Community Service, work with youth going to and finishing Job Corps.

10. Rebuild a house. Did two of them Enjoyed it. Gave one to my daughter.

11. Grow Hot Chili Peppers. Did 30 varieties. Still do it.

12. Build free standing rock wall like the farmers in Ireland do. Got good at it.

13. A lot of other adventures. Still have a few for Thailand.

14. Buy an Indian Chief Roadmaster....I love that thing.....

Retirement just means you do other things in life,

I havent read the rest , but you do NOT have to be a "Non-resident for taxation purposes" !

You are only that if YOU nominate to be so , and dont let any accountant tell you otherwise.

Simply ALWAYS state you are on extended vacation on any Aus documentation , never ever admit you are Living O/S , and make yearly or 2 visits home , and maintain a permanent address at a friends or kids place.

No one can 'make' you be a non-resident or stop 'holidaying' , as long as you maintain thats what you are doing.

Dont know what the others have rec'd re the missus and biz - just dont outlay precious capital on things you cant own !

Mine does laundry , cleans villas and is a casual in a restaurant - all work thats up to her and all the cash she keeps....

is it necessary I go back home every 2 years you think? The ATO have full access to immigration info now and I doubt they'd see a weeks vacation every 2 years would constitute residency in their eyes. As far as a permanent address goes, I can use my son's address but for what? Again the taxation department knows your every move these days. Appreciate the advice though

I had a bucket list. I completed the list this year. There were a lot of things I wanted to do.

1. Went to China for a total of 2 months and explored. (Absolutely fascinating)

2. Prospect for gold in Purgatory Gulch. Had fun and got some gold.

3. Get a job driving heavy equipment and monster construction equipment. That was a lot of fun and thrilling.

4. Open a Restaurant. Was a success. Had fun and enjoyed it. Closed after 2 years. Will do it again.

5. Work in wildland management. Very rewarding and fun. 4 Years.

6. Started a non profit serving American Indians with stuff they need. VERY rewarding. I burned out.Too much work.

7. Work with handicap and disabled young people. 2 years.

8. Worked with RSVP Retired Senior Volunteer Program. Matched seniors with community organizations.

9. Joint Action in Community Service, work with youth going to and finishing Job Corps.

10. Rebuild a house. Did two of them Enjoyed it. Gave one to my daughter.

11. Grow Hot Chili Peppers. Did 30 varieties. Still do it.

12. Build free standing rock wall like the farmers in Ireland do. Got good at it.

13. A lot of other adventures. Still have a few for Thailand.

14. Buy an Indian Chief Roadmaster....I love that thing.....

Retirement just means you do other things in life,

I think OP is looking at LOS in particular.

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Just a note - Day trading is incredibly difficult to profit from. I have met many day traders and only one who seemed to consistently do ok... it is counter-inutitive and very hard to remain on the right side of a trade... and you are competing against computers that measure time in nano seconds... you will consistently be slow to the draw...

There is plenty of money in Thailand for pursuing good business ideas, just few ideas. You seem to know business - just throwing a random dart is less likely to be successful than serious expertise in a field - go with what you know.

And there is money to be "made" in saving money and using it wisely. Every balance sheet has 2 sides, income and outflow - by building and living in a house, after initial outflow, we have been living rent free... I know that is difficult as you are thinking about moving..

but sometimes money not lost is as good as profit.

Good luck.

Kenny,

You can withdraw your super in full once 55 in Aus if your leaving for good. Then nothing else stopping you from applying for a pension on correct age. It depends on for many years you have work in Aus. Would stay away from any business in Thailand.

Stock market can be good or bad. It is an open gamble. Currency fluctuations also play a big part!

Yes but you get taxed on that.Wait til 60 and it's tax free.Super may be shit now,but i am way in front on it and it may come good again.Allocated pension is the way to go.

58 now, but similar situation. not eligible for oz pension as deemed 'too wealthy' - yeah, sure.

i am living in the far north east of thailand most of my life now, the area is barely 'licked' by tourism but offers loads of potential. the 'getting away from everything' opportunity, something that one should be able to offer on european / oz markets.

don't know where you you are but if you are interested, send me a private.

cheers

Lend out the money at 2 % interest pm...if done properly it can be a nice money spinner

I did look into that back in the village and was spose to be a dead cert but on closer inspection no one could provide anything like a guarantee. It sounds good if everything goes ok or you had a tough savvy woman to take care of stuff but..... Knowing my luck...

Thailand has strict usury laws (the enforcement of which depend on who you know and how much "tax" you are willing to pay to the authorities to turn a blind eye should you be caught).

Currently, the maximum LEGAL rate for lending money is 15% per annum (or 1.25% per month). Anything over this amount is loan sharking and technically illegal.

Could spell big trouble (as it did for a British neighbour of mine a few years back) if a debtor refuses to pay and decides it easier to report you as a foreign "mafia" loan shark.

He neither had the connections nor enough money to make the charges go away. Once the lawyers and police bled him dry, he left (deported?) virtually penniless.

He was a nice bloke and just trying to supplement his income to subsidize his utils etc. Seems he lent money to the wrong person and did so illegally. Ended up paying for his mistake dearly.

It's a jungle out there, Kenny!

Mmm, interesting.I thought the ATO made the decision for you depend on your time away,6 months and 1 day.Interested to hear otherwise.Might have to find a creative accountant.I have admit nothing on paper.

I'd say only the top 0.01% of foreigners who relocate in Thailand are successful in their business ventures. Been here on and off for 26 years. about 7 years in all. My advice: Just suck it up in Austraila whre you have a government who will at least assist you in certain ways when you become older and unable to generate income. Over here it's really about draining your income and capital. Slowly but surely.

A wife or girlfriend (from Isaan?). Sorry to say, that's a losing scenario from my experiences. From the Thai government to the locals who might averge 10,000 - 15,00 baht per month income whom you will wind up providing assistance, you will one day become stuck without sufficient captiol to rebuild your life.

Good luck mate.

58 now, but similar situation. not eligible for oz pension as deemed 'too wealthy' - yeah, sure.

i am living in the far north east of thailand most of my life now, the area is barely 'licked' by tourism but offers loads of potential. the 'getting away from everything' opportunity, something that one should be able to offer on european / oz markets.

don't know where you you are but if you are interested, send me a private.

cheersy

You got at least 10 years to go yet mate and they don't count your assets until that time.Some creative running down of assets between now and then,could be to your advantage,even with a part pension.

I'd say only the top 0.01% of foreigners who relocate in Thailand are successful in their business ventures. Been here on and off for 26 years. about 7 years in all. My advice: Just suck it up in Austraila whre you have a government who will at least assist you in certain ways when you become older and unable to generate income. Over here it's really about draining your income and capital. Slowly but surely.

A wife or girlfriend (from Isaan?). Sorry to say, that's a losing scenario from my experiences. From the Thai government to the locals who might averge 10,000 - 15,00 baht per month income whom you will wind up providing assistance, you will one day become stuck without sufficient captiol to rebuild your life.

Good luck mate.

the australian government does not assist its citizens unless they are or have been parasitic (for what ever reason).

the less you contribute to oz economy the more likely you are to receive support and assistance.

it is an embedded characteristic of oz to knock 'the tall poppy' and assist 'the under dog'.

if you happened to have been lucky enough to get wealthy in oz, go spend it anywhere.

Well, its the old joke about how to make a small fortune in Thailand - start with a large fortune!

My experience of watch foreigners attempt business in Thailand is that it invariably ends in tears. If you want something for your wife to do as a 'pastime' then fair enough - you may be able to get her into something where she can break even or make a bit of 'pin money'. I would avoid any large investment at all costs because seen too many guys lose everything (or lose enough to make life miserable).

One guy who arrived in rural Isaan about two years ago set himself up in farming (all in his wife's name, of course) - lovely bloke. She is a nice enough girl, but half his age and obviously getting bored with him and farm work - the relationship is going south and probably at least 2 mill THB in her name (house, farm building, land)...

Of course if YOU work then there might well be work permit issues - you just need to upset the right person. I definitely wouldn't get into money lending. A good way to make enemies - so dangerous from a variety of perspectives.

Hi Kenny,

Do not know how much money you have, but, there are stilol good investments to be made that are as safe asw possible in a troubled world.

$AUD500,000 invested today with (XXXXXX) will increase by 117% in 9 years. So your money will be $1085,000 at the end of term Guaranteed.

http://bit.ly/1XjMlQb will take you to the "expat" site. There you can do your own research if you want to.

NOTE: I have NO affiliation with the site in ANY way, it is simply my own research.

Kenny, I know a fair bit about the OZ pension.

The Abbott gov changed the "eligibility" from 25 yrs to 35 yrs. There are too many variables to say who is eligible. SO I will give a simple example.

1. Thai girl marries OZ man at age 18. Becomes an Aussie when she is twenty. Works for Gov as an interpretor until she is 67. Picks up her Super, applies for (and gets) her pension. Retires to Thailand with a "few" hundred thousand AUD in the bank and a FULLY indexed pension for life.
  2. Aussie "dude" goes on dole at age 18 and stays on dole all his life. At age 67 he transfers to Aged Pension. Has no cash, but has FULLY indexed pension anywhere in the world - for life.

What this means is:- After you have been eligible for a pension for 35 years or longer, you will continue to get a FULL indexed pension, no matter where in the world you live - for the remainder of your life.

Doom-sayers will tell you all sorts of stories... Get the facts - not hard. NEVER TELL A LIE... The consequences are terrible for those that try to lie & cheat.

Getting your pension in Thailand. You have told no lies right?? So tell them you live here. Tell them you want your pension transferred here. It will be sent MONTHLY via the Reserve Bank at the "INTERBANK" rate. As I type the interbank rate is $AUD1.00 = B25.5027. That is the rate you get deposited in your bank account.

The one fly in the ointment for your circumstances Kenny is that you MUST live in OZ for two years before you can apply for your pension.

Good Luck Mate.

I have a similar problem. My Thai lady friend of almost two years works massage and wants to start her own shop. And I ask myself, if I was starting a business, would I choose Thailand? No. Would I choose a country where I don't have the permanent right to live? No. Would I choose a country where I'm not familiar with the law, and can't read the language? No. Would I invest in a business I know nothing about? No. Would I invest in a business run by someone who knows nothing at all about running a business? No. I could go on all day. It's not going to happen.

I'd like to help her and the longer I stay with her the more I feel obliged to do something for her, but I don't think there is a solution.

At the end of the day, I will just keep saying no, and if the relationship fails as a result, so be it. I can't see any other way forward.

I'm an Australian, aged 57, living in Kosum Phisai, about 40 km east of Khon Kaen. Like you, I am retired and sometimes get a little nervous about the prospects of living on a fixed income for the rest of my life, and at the mercy of the Australian government's taxation policy, poor exchange rates and uncertain stock markets.

I've tried the teaching gig, but couldn't really handle going back to full time work in Thailand. The extra money came in handy, but I didn't plan on retiring just to work full time again. I can still pick up the odd casual job teaching at a hospital, or elsewhere, for half a day here or there. But the money is not much.

To be honest, I think you are better off thinking about how to enjoy your time, while minimising how much you need to spend each month (e.g. budgeting). If you can find some hobbies you enjoy then the time passes quickly. I wouldn't focus too much on helping the wife start a small business. She (like my wife) is unlikely to work hard enough at it to make it a success. It can be done, but she'll have to work a good 10 hours a day and make sacrifices in her own personal social life. It's not going to happen because you already have a comfortable income.

For me, I wanted to get away from working in the office for 30 years and so built a house and have a bit of a hobby farm. It is not an investment given we would be unlikely to make a profit if we sold. But this is what I want to do with the next 10 years or so of my life. As a kid I used to dream about having my own land, dams, fish, exotic pets, living off the land and so on. Well now I can do it.

It's probably all in the mental attitude whether you retire in Thailand or Australia. This is the next phase in life and you are entitled to slow down life a bit and take it easy. Find a routine to keep your mind and body fit. That is your new job and new life. Make sure you have a decent computer/internet connection and you can torrent all those Aussie series you might miss. Make an effort to find and visit the farangs around your immediate neighbourhood in case their is someone you click with.

My life would become difficult if my superannuation stream was taxed at the overseas resident rate. All you can do is maintain an Australian mailing address and hope for the best. As suggested by someone else, an allocated pension is the way to go when your Super becomes available. You must withdraw a minimum 4% a year income stream, but it is all tax free. You can also withdraw any part of the capital at any time if you want.

I took most of my Super as a fixed indexed pension and put about 25% into an allocated pension. In retrospect, I should have transferred all of it into an allocated pension. That would of given me a 30% higher income (no tax and no need to put in a yearly tax return) and no financial worries about living overseas. The only drawback is that the allocated pension is dependent upon the stock market for its returns , however, you are pretty safe if you look at it as a long term investment.

Anyway, best wishes.

Mmm, interesting.I thought the ATO made the decision for you depend on your time away,6 months and 1 day.Interested to hear otherwise.Might have to find a creative accountant.I have admit nothing on paper.

Work out your tax residency – ATO

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/International-tax-for-individuals/Work-out-your-tax-residency/

is it necessary I go back home every 2 years you think? The ATO have full access to immigration info now and I doubt they'd see a weeks vacation every 2 years would constitute residency in their eyes. As far as a permanent address goes, I can use my son's address but for what? Again the taxation department knows your every move these days. Appreciate the advice though

I haven't been back since I left in 2010 and have never declared myself as a non-resident. I have a mailing address in Australia (a mate's place), I keep bank accounts there and still have private health insurance. These days ATO completes my tax return automatically, with all info prefilled. I just submit it. The way I see it they've already decided my residential status. Who am I to argue?

I can't withdraw my main superannuation as it's locked in to Comsuper. I haven't claimed a partial OAP, as it would entail returning and probably staying there for two years.

On the subject of Thai wives, mine works all day, every day. I can't get her to stop and rest even during the current heat wave. She cooks all meals, mainly western for me and smelly fish for her, cleans the house and yard daily, feeds and cares for the animals, cleans the pool, tends her showcase garden for hours and just yesterday I caught her painting the beams on the house. She was only supposed to be completing the painting of some walls, left by a workman after he fell and cracked his skull last week.

I initially rented here, but hated it, so bought a house, now in her name. I have a usufruct agreement for my lifetime.

She also has a massage business (non sex) which she needs to visit most days, bringing home masses of towels which she washes by hand, despite us having an expensive and large size washer. The shops (has had 4 in all) have cost me (the military closed down the biggest earner!), but the current one is making money. However, I would prefer her to give it up.

My bank accounts and super funds, both in Australia and here, are controlled by myself and I could walk (!) away from everything in Thailand if I had to. I have no such desire

Well, its the old joke about how to make a small fortune in Thailand - start with a large fortune!

My experience of watch foreigners attempt business in Thailand is that it invariably ends in tears. If you want something for your wife to do as a 'pastime' then fair enough - you may be able to get her into something where she can break even or make a bit of 'pin money'. I would avoid any large investment at all costs because seen too many guys lose everything (or lose enough to make life miserable).

One guy who arrived in rural Isaan about two years ago set himself up in farming (all in his wife's name, of course) - lovely bloke. She is a nice enough girl, but half his age and obviously getting bored with him and farm work - the relationship is going south and probably at least 2 mill THB in her name (house, farm building, land)...

Of course if YOU work then there might well be work permit issues - you just need to upset the right person. I definitely wouldn't get into money lending. A good way to make enemies - so dangerous from a variety of perspectives.

+1. Seen too many heartbreaking stories over the years and tried to learn from the tough lessons of others.

Personally, I earn my money outside of Thailand and spend it in Thailand enjoying life. It has been a good way for me to keep enjoying my time and people when in Thailand and avoid the headaches and hassles associated with doing business in the Kingdom.

I have witnessed too many bitter expats who put all their eggs in the Thai basket to build their dream life in a new country only for it to turn out to be a nightmare after the honeymoon is over. Though, there are also success stories.

Most of the successful expat biz owners I know have setup small hobby businesses that reflect their personal interests, not as money makers. However, most do not rely on the income from their businesses to finance their lives. Most, if not all have alternative sourcescof income from abroad.

<snip>

The one fly in the ointment for your circumstances Kenny is that you MUST live in OZ for two years before you can apply for your pension.

Good Luck Mate.

Incorrect info. One can return to Oz and then apply for Age Pension if you meet the criteria. However, after applying upon return you must be resident in Oz for two years before requesting portability.

I haven't been back since I left in 2010 and have never declared myself as a non-resident. I have a mailing address in Australia (a mate's place), I keep bank accounts there and still have private health insurance. These days ATO completes my tax return automatically, with all info prefilled. I just submit it. The way I see it they've already decided my residential status. Who am I to argue?

I can't withdraw my main superannuation as it's locked in to Comsuper. I haven't claimed a partial OAP, as it would entail returning and probably staying there for two years.

On the subject of Thai wives, mine works all day, every day. I can't get her to stop and rest even during the current heat wave. She cooks all meals, mainly western for me and smelly fish for her, cleans the house and yard daily, feeds and cares for the animals, cleans the pool, tends her showcase garden for hours and just yesterday I caught her painting the beams on the house. She was only supposed to be completing the painting of some walls, left by a workman after he fell and cracked his skull last week.

I initially rented here, but hated it, so bought a house, now in her name. I have a usufruct agreement for my lifetime.

She also has a massage business (non sex) which she needs to visit most days, bringing home masses of towels which she washes by hand, despite us having an expensive and large size washer. The shops (has had 4 in all) have cost me (the military closed down the biggest earner!), but the current one is making money. However, I would prefer her to give it up.

My bank accounts and super funds, both in Australia and here, are controlled by myself and I could walk (!) away from everything in Thailand if I had to. I have no such desire

"My bank accounts and super funds, both in Australia and here, are controlled by myself and I could walk (!) away from everything in Thailand if I had to."

Excellent tip! Always have a Plan B in case things go banana shaped.

Croc, does your missus have a sister? Sounds like you found a gem. Congrats.