Thai baht gaining on the US$. Why?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone think it could have any thing to do with the 1.3 billion dollar rail deal between the US and China?

There was a time that 1.3 bill used to be a very large amount of money. Some day a burger from a popular franchise will cost that, The banks are costing us more than that these days,

Most forecasts are still saying the baht will move to around or close to 38 during 2016. Daily rates are still a function of supply and demand and move according to buy or selling for the short term.

The long term movement mostly depends on forecasts for the SET and if the international fund managers think it might move up. Current forecast say no, which is why the baht rate forecast continue to be negative for 2016.

TH

Where do you find forecasts for exchange rates? I haven't seen any, but is very interesting and useful in planning when to move money here.

Thailand is in the same boat as Mexico ,Argentinian ,Venezuela and a couple east European countries . poor book keeping , graft , theft , and ZERO accountability <<<<Chinese language removed>>>>

Edited by metisdead
English is the only acceptable language anywhere on ThaiVisa including Classifieds, except within the Thai language forum, where of course using Thai is allowed.

US economy is bad but the dollar is strong. I guess sometime the dollar will lose its value and it just may be the start

Here's some reading material for you. You couldnt be more incorrect about the US economy.

http://econsnapshot.com

I think you better take another look at some of them charts. Governments chartists and economists along with CFO's can make charts read whatever they want to. The real facts are why is Walmart closing 269 stores. Other retailers are also showing shrinkage and profit loses. Inventories are climbing. Companies have set profit bars so low that they really look like winners when doing comparisons to the past. Cat is in trouble you know the people that make construction equipment, real wages are falling, the frackers are in trouble in debt up to their eyeballs. The labor participation rate stands at 63% so what is the other 37% doing? Most new jobs are hamburger helper jobs. About 30% of new cars sales are on lease. The car financing market is much like the housing collapse if you have a pulse you get the loan at 20 to 25% a year. If things are so great why are outsiders like Trump and Sanders gaining so much traction. Then throw in 20 trillion of government debt and 200 trillion of total debt yes debt can sure prop things up and make them look good for a while anyways. Take off the Rose Colored glasses and see economy for what it is.

Auto loans at 20-25% APR? Who is doing that?

US economy is bad but the dollar is strong. I guess sometime the dollar will lose its value and it just may be the start

Here's some reading material for you. You couldnt be more incorrect about the US economy.

I think you better take another look at some of them charts. Governments chartists and economists along with CFO's can make charts read whatever they want to. The real facts are why is Walmart closing 269 stores. Other retailers are also showing shrinkage and profit loses. Inventories are climbing. Companies have set profit bars so low that they really look like winners when doing comparisons to the past. Cat is in trouble you know the people that make construction equipment, real wages are falling, the frackers are in trouble in debt up to their eyeballs. The labor participation rate stands at 63% so what is the other 37% doing? Most new jobs are hamburger helper jobs. About 30% of new cars sales are on lease. The car financing market is much like the housing collapse if you have a pulse you get the loan at 20 to 25% a year. If things are so great why are outsiders like Trump and Sanders gaining so much traction. Then throw in 20 trillion of government debt and 200 trillion of total debt yes debt can sure prop things up and make them look good for a while anyways. Take off the Rose Colored glasses and see economy for what it is.

Auto loans at 20-25% APR? Who is doing that?

Ask Mr. Google. Its called the secondary car loan market. Its usually owned by top tier banks under a phony name. Its people that do not qualify for a bank loan to buy a car but need one never the less to get to work.

Several reasons contribute: US interest rate forecasts have moved out, oil is up, Europe has increased QE - money flowing out of safe haven USD into other risk on type activities hence folks are selling USD, AND, Thai foreign currency reserves just hit USD 180 bill.

I think you mean 1.8 billion. Unlike all western nations Thailand has a reserve not a deficit which accounts for the strength of the baht despite the coup severely damaging investment here, contrary to the governments statements, and tourism is well down for the same reason.

Several reasons contribute: US interest rate forecasts have moved out, oil is up, Europe has increased QE - money flowing out of safe haven USD into other risk on type activities hence folks are selling USD, AND, Thai foreign currency reserves just hit USD 180 bill.

I think you mean 1.8 billion. Unlike all western nations Thailand has a reserve not a deficit which accounts for the strength of the baht despite the coup severely damaging investment here, contrary to the governments statements, and tourism is well down for the same reason.

Nope, I mean 180 billion US Dollars:

https://www.bot.or.th/English/Statistics/EconomicAndFinancial/Pages/StatInternationalReserves.aspx

EDIT to add: and their foreign currency reserve holdings have little to do with the value of THB which is based, like any other currency, on supply and demand.

Edited by chiang mai

No one can forecast that, they are all talking out of their ***** ... Their isnt a single person or computer on the planet that can even get it right 50.1% of the time

Uthaithanirules -

You are wrong about that. All around the world, there are currency traders, speculators, and investors who do exactly that, and many make a good living at it.

I can't speak for others, but from the results from my own forecasting, over many years, I won't ever have to work again in this lifetime. In my opinion, it is a practical way to prepare for a financially comfortable retirement. I would encourage you to consider the possibilities. (And, no, I am not a "financial advisor", or anything like that.)

Ok, well tell me then.

Say you start of with USD $10,000. You were assured a gain 50.1% of the time. To simplify the calculation, we will say the gain or loss each time is the same amount + or - 0.5%. To simplify it further we wont factor any brokerage, tax or any other costs involved in whatever instrument we are trading.

World nominal gdp is roughly around 90 trillion.

Starting off with $10,000, and winning a mere 50.1% of the time, 300 trades a day, throwing it all back in.....how long would it take you to accumulate $90 trillion?

I bet you stuff up even that simple equation.

My ultimate point being, you say youve done well enough not to have to work now, if we went back, through every trade over how many years, how much capital you stared with how much you put in each year. What was you are average return, overall and for each trade. And what % did actually come from all your reserach, what % came from the same thing everybody else does, diversifying across a range of stable investments. You probably dont even really know do you

Most forecasts are still saying the baht will move to around or close to 38 during 2016. Daily rates are still a function of supply and demand and move according to buy or selling for the short term.

The long term movement mostly depends on forecasts for the SET and if the international fund managers think it might move up. Current forecast say no, which is why the baht rate forecast continue to be negative for 2016.

TH

Where do you find forecasts for exchange rates? I haven't seen any, but is very interesting and useful in planning when to move money here.

Thailand is in the same boat as Mexico ,Argentinian ,Venezuela and a couple east European countries . poor book keeping , graft , theft , and ZERO accountability <<<<Chinese language removed>>>>

Thailand is in the same boat as Venezuela?

Did you seriously just say that?

Xe.com lists Venezualas inflation at 62%

TH

Not exactly the same, do any of the countries you mentioned operate a budget surplus, have zero unemployment, have near zero inflation and have 180 billion USD in reserves?

No, I thought not.

BoT intervention in the market and weakening of dollar seem likely explanations

Yes the BoT methinks is behind this. Another face saving measure to show that the currency can rise under a junta government. It could be another 1997 all over again with the pantry being empty again. These people after all are only human like you and me. Usually a tourist and exporting country would want a weaker currency to bolster the main drivers but then Thainess rules the day.

If BOT is behind this they would have had to be selling USD and buying Baht in order to strengthen THB, if your argument is that the opposite has happened they would have had to sell THB and buy USD.

Given the above is what you think, please indicate on the foreign reserves where they have done that, as indicated by the depletion of foreign reserve holdings.

Walmart is closing their "express" stores. Didnt work and closing. What is wrong with that? You nonners are always trying anyway you can to come up with strawman arguments to try and put down the US for anything and everything. Please speak to my hand....

Stop drinking the Kool-Aid

#1 Sears lost 580 million dollars in the fourth quarter of 2015 alone, and they are scheduled to close at least 50 more “unprofitable stores” by the end of this year.

#2 It is being reported that Sports Authority will file for bankruptcy in March. Some news reports have indicated that around 200 stores may close, but at this point it is not known how many of their 450 stores will be able to stay open.

#3 For decades, Kohl’s has been growing aggressively, but now it plans to shutter 18 stores in 2016.

#4 Target has just finished closing 13 stores in the United States.

#5 Best Buy closed 30 stores last year, and it says that more store closings are likely in the months to come.

#6 Office Depot plans to close a total of 400 stores by the end of 2016.

The next seven examples come from one of my previous articles

#7 Wal-Mart is closing 269 stores, including 154 inside the United States.

#8 K-Mart is closing down more than two dozen stores over the next several months.

#9 J.C. Penney will be permanently shutting down 47 more stores after closing a total of 40 stores in 2015.

#10 Macy’s has decided that it needs to shutter 36 stores and lay off approximately 2,500 employees.

#11 The Gap is in the process of closing 175 stores in North America.

#12 Aeropostale is in the process of closing 84 stores all across America.

#13 Finish Line has announced that 150 stores will be shutting down over the next few years.

Yup.

When one company moves jobs from the US to Asia/Mexico, they make more $$$ from US consumers.

When every company moves their jobs, there are no more US consumers.

Does anyone think it could have any thing to do with the 1.3 billion dollar rail deal between the US and China?

Are you maybe talking about the rail deal between Thailand and China? It would have to be quite a bit more than that to be between the US and China smile.png

Are you maybe talking about the rail deal between Thailand and China? It would have to be quite a bit more than that to be between the US and China smile.png

He's talking about the Beijing to San Fransisco bullet train link, the one via the moon!whistling.gif

He's talking about the Beijing to San Fransisco bullet train link, the one via the moon!whistling.gif

Actually I was referring to the bullet train from LA to Vegas of 250 miles. Said to travel 150 mph. It was joke too.

Edited by lovelomsak

Walmart is closing their "express" stores. Didnt work and closing. What is wrong with that? You nonners are always trying anyway you can to come up with strawman arguments to try and put down the US for anything and everything. Please speak to my hand....

Stop drinking the Kool-Aid

#1 Sears lost 580 million dollars in the fourth quarter of 2015 alone, and they are scheduled to close at least 50 more “unprofitable stores” by the end of this year.

#2 It is being reported that Sports Authority will file for bankruptcy in March. Some news reports have indicated that around 200 stores may close, but at this point it is not known how many of their 450 stores will be able to stay open.

#3 For decades, Kohl’s has been growing aggressively, but now it plans to shutter 18 stores in 2016.

#4 Target has just finished closing 13 stores in the United States.

#5 Best Buy closed 30 stores last year, and it says that more store closings are likely in the months to come.

#6 Office Depot plans to close a total of 400 stores by the end of 2016.

The next seven examples come from one of my previous articles

#7 Wal-Mart is closing 269 stores, including 154 inside the United States.

#8 K-Mart is closing down more than two dozen stores over the next several months.

#9 J.C. Penney will be permanently shutting down 47 more stores after closing a total of 40 stores in 2015.

#10 Macy’s has decided that it needs to shutter 36 stores and lay off approximately 2,500 employees.

#11 The Gap is in the process of closing 175 stores in North America.

#12 Aeropostale is in the process of closing 84 stores all across America.

#13 Finish Line has announced that 150 stores will be shutting down over the next few years.

Yup.

When one company moves jobs from the US to Asia/Mexico, they make more $$$ from US consumers.

When every company moves their jobs, there are no more US consumers.

Yes there will be it will be called Clintoncare complete with consumer coupons. This is just a warm up excersize for when the robots take over all the mundane jobs of everyday life. Factories manned by robots will open up all across America. It will be a true from the cradle to the grave experience. Ah what a wonderful life for your children, grandchildren and great grandchildren a true Cornucopia Utopia. Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll 24/7/365

If BOT is behind this they would have had to be selling USD and buying Baht in order to strengthen THB, if your argument is that the opposite has happened they would have had to sell THB and buy USD.

Given the above is what you think, please indicate on the foreign reserves where they have done that, as indicated by the depletion of foreign reserve holdings.

it is quite unfair to spoil with boring facts an interesting conspiracy theory laugh.png

Huh? What deal? gigglem.gif

$1.3 Billion Dollars doesn't buy much in railways, or railroads if your from the U.S. I doubt it would be enough to lay 200km of rail. Where I work one train is worth around $64 million and that's an empty train of 160 wagons (U.S Cars) and 4 locomotives.

Huh? What deal? gigglem.gif

$1.3 Billion Dollars doesn't buy much in railways, or railroads if your from the U.S. I doubt it would be enough to lay 200km of rail. Where I work one train is worth around $64 million and that's an empty train of 160 wagons (U.S Cars) and 4 locomotives.

But a railroad and a train are 2 different things, isn't it?

You need a railroad to run a train, but you don't need trains to build a railroad, and nowhere is mentioned that Thailand had trains included in the railway deal.