Canadian tourist attacked in Pattaya

rooster59

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After sixteen years of living in Thailand i think i understand the common foreigners bad behavior enough. Guess you don,t. Been beaten yourself a few times? P.S i know Thailand far more than you ever will.

Glad to see it hasn't left you bitter and twisted.

Jiggo said- " Soi 7 ....not a ideal tourist spot anyway.....boring in one word-"

soi 7 is boring?, maybe for you. i guess, 1 million western tourists come to pattaya each year exclusively because of soi 7 and the surrounding sois. because almost everything is outdoors, it attracts a different , younger clientele than the more famous walking street. songkran, the famous water festival, always starts and is the wildest in these sois.

diehard60, on 13 Mar 2016 - 07:49, said:

" Most of you don't remember when this was a very nice and romantic place to go to for newly weds.-"

pattaya never has been a place for the newly-weds. the beerbars and bargirls have always been the dominating factor of the rapid record-breaking development of pattaya. it now has at least 200.00 inhabitants, without the bargirls it would still be a fishing-village with 10.000, like 30 years ago, much smaller than bangsaen.

So what's the charges for attacking cops and foreign tourists in a police station. Hope this bar gets shut down as a result. We don't know all the details yet, would be interesting to hear the side the Canadian victim gives as to what he was attacked with, and if his bill was disputed and simply not paid for. A lot of the tourist areas have bars that are known to inflate the bills on the sly.

It won`t happen. This is how the bars deal with awkward customers, not only in Pattaya but all over the country. The boss will say, it was one of my staff, very sorry he won`t do it again then back to business as usual. It is well known that these bars try to con customers with drinks they never had placed on bills or add on extras the customers are not aware of.

These are not cozy type pubs were customers can sip their drinks without pressure like in England, these are places where customers are expected to spend a lot of money in a very short time. The bars are a law among themselves, they can hold customers to ransom, then either pay up or get beaten to a pulp. Having a few beers and then getting fleeced or beaten up at the end of it is not my idea of a good night`s entertainment, I don`t know why people go into those places.

Not everything is exactly as it seems, and certainly never as reported!

The Canadian girls a few weeks ago reportedly had the bill from another group passed to them after the other group had left without paying, and the GGB was looking for someone to pay. I agree though as I once watched an Ivan guy getting a bit of roughing up as he had been taking the bills out of his cup and hiding them on his person. POS computerised billing has removed many problems, but the bar-staff beating seven colours of crap out of miscreants is not acceptable.

Everybody here is thinking with his western head.It is acceptable to beat a thief,if that is what he is,in this country.Where i live wife beaters are taken care of by brothers of wife,police are not involved.We don't trust them and Thais certainly don't trust them.

You make a fair point although whether this is a good business practice and good for tourism is certainly debatable.

A Western head would be a better approach than what appears to be an empty, thuggish one.

Not everything is exactly as it seems, and certainly never as reported!

The Canadian girls a few weeks ago reportedly had the bill from another group passed to them after the other group had left without paying, and the GGB was looking for someone to pay. I agree though as I once watched an Ivan guy getting a bit of roughing up as he had been taking the bills out of his cup and hiding them on his person. POS computerised billing has removed many problems, but the bar-staff beating seven colours of crap out of miscreants is not acceptable.

Everybody here is thinking with his western head.It is acceptable to beat a thief,if that is what he is,in this country.Where i live wife beaters are taken care of by brothers of wife,police are not involved.We don't trust them and Thais certainly don't trust them.

You make a fair point although whether this is a good business practice and good for tourism is certainly debatable.

A Western head would be a better approach than what appears to be an empty, thuggish one.

Especially in an area that wants to attract western money., honey.

A stupid move to try and get out of paying for drinks. If I tried to steal from Thais in this way I would expect the same treatment.

I really like the Thai style of getting a bill rather than having to pay for every single drink every single time you buy one like in pubs in other countries, where you have to wait at the bar to be served, then wait for the waiter to pour your drinks and then pay for your drinks and then have to wait again for your change.

If idiot farangs keep behaving like this it will ruin it for everyone. A couple of Canadian girls tried it in a go go a couple of weeks ago and I have personally seen it many times. Come on a holiday to Thailand and steal from the locals. Scummy.

You are assuming that the Thais are telling the truth here?

He always does. No Thai can tell a lie.

Yeah so many places do bill pad and skim that it is not hard to get into a fight or a problem in the beer bars in Pattaya.

I mean you can spend thousands in a bar over a long period of time yet they will still try and rip you off and that is even when they know a tip is also coming.

And they seem to be able to do what they like without any fear from any legal repercussions so you do

have to be careful.

To top it all off many of these bars don't even have cheap drinks or any great looking women to entice you in.

After years in Patts I go mainly to the same places that I know well for service and quality but still occasionally have problems.

But I am always with people and usually my Thai GF so I know I get better treatment than I would if iwas a single drunk farang. Very unlikely to get attacked in my situation.

A stupid move to try and get out of paying for drinks. If I tried to steal from Thais in this way I would expect the same treatment.

I really like the Thai style of getting a bill rather than having to pay for every single drink every single time you buy one like in pubs in other countries, where you have to wait at the bar to be served, then wait for the waiter to pour your drinks and then pay for your drinks and then have to wait again for your change.

If idiot farangs keep behaving like this it will ruin it for everyone. A couple of Canadian girls tried it in a go go a couple of weeks ago and I have personally seen it many times. Come on a holiday to Thailand and steal from the locals. Scummy.

He always does. No Thai can tell a lie.ภพ

I have never said Thas don't lie.

People from all countries lie.

I lie. Try not to, but some lies are good lies. It keeps the ducks unfed.

Thais I know admit to telling lies.

One of the reasons they give is that sometimes telling a lie is better than somebody losing face. I probably am guilty of that.

And I reckon that I am lied to in Soi 7 every time I go. They welcome you with a lie "Welcum Hansum Man". It is a nice lie. It makes me smile.

The fact is we don't really know if this bloke did have his bill padded or not. This incident has been reported here and elsewhere and there was no mention he was claiming that. I have a feeling he may have also been rude.

I have had my bill padded in Pattaya before. I can't mention the name of the place (I think it against the rules here). I asked them "WHATS UP" with this. I reckon if you catch them out, in my experience they act sorry and fix it. They don't want to bash you. They also make mistakes sometimes.

If they change the check bin system (that is fairly easy to keep track of ,it sits in front of you) to a pay as you go it would actually create more problems. A lot of Thais who work in bars are not Maths whizzes. If go to a bar with four mates and drink 10 beers each, that will be forty times the chances of the change being wrong. And every time that happens there will be an uproar on Thaivisa.

But this woman in this case was seriously angry, IMO not the actions of someone who has just been caught out scamming. She was angry for a reason, maybe she is a good actress and fooled me.

Also sometimes people don't understand when they are being asked to buy a lady drink and say yes, but don't realize.

Myself quite often if asked for a drink, I give them the option of a 100baht tip or a drink. Better for them, cheaper for me. 85% of the time they go for the tip, 10% the drink and the 5% smart ones say both.

Sometimes if I don't want to buy them a drink I tell them I would, but I am a Muslim and it is not allowed and then look up to the sky. I get mixed results for that one. I am not a Muslim, it is a lie.

Edited by Roomuck

One of the reasons they give is that sometimes telling a lie is better than somebody losing face. I probably am guilty of that.

And I reckon that I am lied to in Soi 7 every time I go. They welcome you with a lie "Welcum Hansum Man". It is a nice lie. It makes me smile.

The fact is we don't really know if this bloke did have his bill padded or not. This incident has been reported here and elsewhere and there was no mention he was claiming that. I have a feeling he may have also been rude.

I have had my bill padded in Pattaya before. I can't mention the name of the place (I think it against the rules here). I asked them "WHATS UP" with this. I reckon if you catch them out, in my experience they act sorry and fix it. They don't want to bash you. They also make mistakes sometimes.

If they change the check bin system (that is fairly easy to keep track of ,it sits in front of you) to a pay as you go it would actually create more problems. A lot of Thais who work in bars are not Maths whizzes. If go to a bar with four mates and drink 10 beers each, that will be forty times the chances of the change being wrong. And every time that happens there will be an uproar on Thaivisa.

But this woman in this case was seriously angry, IMO not the actions of someone who has just been caught out scamming. She was angry for a reason, maybe she is a good actress and fooled me.

Also sometimes people don't understand when they are being asked to buy a lady drink and say yes, but don't realize.

Myself quite often if asked for a drink, I give them the option of a 100baht tip or a drink. Better for them, cheaper for me. 85% of the time they go for the tip, 10% the drink and the 5% smart ones say both.

Sometimes if I don't want to buy them a drink I tell them I would, but I am a Muslim and it is not allowed and then look up to the sky. I get mixed results for that one. I am not a Muslim, it is a lie.

Great comments wai2.gif

I like the one about the unfed duck best cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif.

Great comments wai2.gif
I like the one about the unfed duck best cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif.

You sound like a reasonable man BossBar. A lot of bar bosses are not so keen on my tipping system as the bar doesn't profit. But the good hearted ones are fine with it. Girls are happy = happy bar.

I have no sympathy for thieves being taught a lesson. In western countries it would be a little slap on the wrist and released to steal again.

The Thais know how to deal with these types.

Hh

I know if I want to do a runner on the bill, if I get caught I will probably cop a beating. It acts as a deterrent.

You are condoning attack on a man that could have easily killed him. Iron bars that Thais often use as weapon can end a life of the victim, especially if iron bar strikes temple of mans head.

You are excusing violence towards a foreigner in alternation over a bar bill. You approve deadly violence.

It is a mystery how you get away with this type of advocacy for violence, possibly deadly violence on public web board.

Here, quote from Medicinenet:

'Epidural hematoma occurs when there is bleeding between the dura mater (a tough fibrous layer of tissue between the brain and skull) and the skull bone. These occur when arteries are torn as a result of a blow to the head, and injury in the temple area is a common cause.'

Head injuries often kill a person. Your post approves these types of attacks, attacks over a bar bill.

Can I ask you, if this man dies, or next man beaten up and injured over bar bill, would you keep depending the perps? Like you said, beating teaches them a lesson correct?

You are being a bit over dramatic. The first two sentences you are talking about death. He copped a beating from a four foot ten, thirty eight kilo woman.

He didn't die, he didn't even get knocked out.

I wouldn't condone his death at all. Have you ever been in a fight before? Were you fighting to the death?

I have got no idea, but I reckon there would be an fight, with alcohol involved at least once a night in Pattaya every single day that doesn't result in a death. People get drunk, most people are fine but somebody always loses it and fights start.

Thais are not really anti violent, they love their Muay Thai, don't mind going at it over political issues (which is the reason the army were able to take over), high school kids love fighting each other, they are quite proud of their record fighting other countries of also when required, Thai TV soapies usually have a good female slap down at least once a night, it is their national sport.

Som nam naa is a usual reaction to this sort of attack. Not much sympathy if any.

If you listen to the song they play every morning and night it clearly states that they are friendly to people, but if crossed they will go all out. You might not like it, but that's the way it is.

So, yes, if I tried to steal from them/ or be rude to them I would expect to cop it Thai style.

And if in this case the bloke tried to steal, the treatment he got would be considered fair enough in this country, especially as he was likely rude as well.

When the west tries to enforce its standards on other countries it ends up a disaster. Iraq for example.

Edited by Roomuck

You are being a bit over dramatic. The first two sentences you are talking about death. He copped a beating from a four foot ten, thirty eight kilo woman.

I wouldn't condone his death at all. Have you ever been in a fight before? Were you fighting to the death?

I have got no idea, but I reckon there would be an fight, with alcohol involved at least once a night in Pattaya every single day that doesn't result in a death. People get drunk, most people are fine but somebody always loses it and fights start.

Thais are not really anti violent, they love their Muay Thai, don't mind going at it over political issues (which is the reason the army were able to take over), high school kids love fighting each other, they are quite proud of their record fighting other countries of also when required, Thai TV soapies usually have a good female slap down at least once a night, it is their national sport.

Som nam naa is a usual reaction to this sort of attack. Not much sympathy if any.

If you listen to the song they play every morning and night it clearly states that they are friendly to people, but if crossed they will go all out. You might not like it, but that's the way it is.

So, yes, if I tried to steal from them/ or be rude to them I would expect to cop it Thai style.

And if in this case the bloke tried to steal, the treatment he got would be considered fair enough in this country, especially as he was likely rude as well.

When the west tries to enforce its standards on other countries it ends up a disayster. Iraq for example.

Reality check dudes!

The OP states that the Canadian was treated for a "MASSIVE HEAD WOUND" inflicted by a large sharp object, with many slash wounds and streaming in blood.

The OP, when talking of the bar worker, repetitively uses the word "HIM"

The story also says that the BIB are looking for the perpetrators (PLURAL) of the attack.

But now somehow the thread has changed to a lone toddler kicking Hercules in the nuts!

What's wrong with you all? A seventy year old man can simply fall over and break a hip, or spine, or sustain a head wound that can indeed result in a death... It has happened before, quite often, and too men in their prime... Never heard of a one punch death?

Get real... Or not... Maybe the reality was that the sharp object was a leg off his zimmer frame, as he was making a Jason statham style escape

By all means... If there is a link changing the facts reported in the OP, please share... But this thread so far is about the OP, not about made up inserts by Thai or farang apologists.

Edited by farcanell

I have no sympathy for thieves being taught a lesson. In western countries it would be a little slap on the wrist and released to steal again.

The Thais know how to deal with these types.

Hh

I know if I want to do a runner on the bill, if I get caught I will probably cop a beating. It acts as a deterrent.

You are condoning attack on a man that could have easily killed him. Iron bars that Thais often use as weapon can end a life of the victim, especially if iron bar strikes temple of mans head.

You are excusing violence towards a foreigner in alternation over a bar bill. You approve deadly violence.

It is a mystery how you get away with this type of advocacy for violence, possibly deadly violence on public web board.

Here, quote from Medicinenet:

'Epidural hematoma occurs when there is bleeding between the dura mater (a tough fibrous layer of tissue between the brain and skull) and the skull bone. These occur when arteries are torn as a result of a blow to the head, and injury in the temple area is a common cause.'

Head injuries often kill a person. Your post approves these types of attacks, attacks over a bar bill.

Can I ask you, if this man dies, or next man beaten up and injured over bar bill, would you keep depending the perps? Like you said, beating teaches them a lesson correct?

When the west tries to enforce its standards on other countries it ends up a disaster. Iraq for example.

It doesn't really matter who is at fault but the way the situation is handled.

Bar staff in these small bars are notorious for rip offs and bill paddings and anything else they can get away with and this is especially the case if someone presents as drunk and an easy target.

Remember who we are dealing with here. These are people at the bottom end and rung of Thai society who make their money form prostitution and of course their clientele is often the bottom end of their own society. So the customers are also often drunk violent dysfunctional people themselves.

One of the main reasons why this violence goes on unabated is that there are no repercussion or very little in the way of repercussions for the attackers and that is more especially the case when a foreigner is involved. Basically a foreigner is a free hit and for those thais at the bottom end of society that sometimes represents an opportunity to lash out and get rid of all their frustrations on someone even lower than themselves and that is a foreigner and a drunk one in a bar is even better.

So what's the charges for attacking cops and foreign tourists in a police station. Hope this bar gets shut down as a result. We don't know all the details yet, would be interesting to hear the side the Canadian victim gives as to what he was attacked with, and if his bill was disputed and simply not paid for. A lot of the tourist areas have bars that are known to inflate the bills on the sly.

To hazard a guess I would say the bill was in dispute, years ago I went into a show bar in patpong and a horrible lady boy gave me a check bin for one beer, I could not wait to get out of the place , then I only had a 1000 Bht note and no change returned, I rang my Thai wife who was shopping and she spoke to them and said she had called the police, they gave me my change and told me never come back.

I would not want to anyway, I have heard many accounts of overcharging in Karaoke bars and bars that have lady boy staff serving drinks, however wait until we hear the other side of the story, I bet you the ladyboys account is not the whole truth.

To hazard a guess I would say the bill was in dispute, years ago I went into a show bar in patpong and a horrible lady boy gave me a check bin for one beer, I could not wait to get out of the place , then I only had a 1000 Bht note and no change returned, I rang my Thai wife who was shopping and she spoke to them and said she had called the police, they gave me my change and told me never come back.

I would not want to anyway, I have heard many accounts of overcharging in Karaoke bars and bars that have lady boy staff serving drinks, however wait until we hear the other side of the story, I bet you the ladyboys account is not the whole truth.

Doesn't seem as though there is going to be another side off the story reported.... Or by now, surely, it would have.

If others in the know, maybe locals there, have seen an update, please share

Cheers

Did the canadian girls get beaten up like that man?