Help! I Have Mildew/mold!

Jingthing

I left a condo in Jomtien vacant for six months, and surprise, surprise, there was a not wonderful smell when I arrived back!

Anything vinyl was covered in white mold and all the clothes were musty. All the wood has some signs of growth.

Can people share their experiences with dealing with mold cleanup? I would like to do a thorough job throughout the condo but I am rather lazy and seriously incompetent at cleaning. Maybe someone can refer me to a Thai maid who would know what to do and wouldn't mind a "special" job? Also, when I go to the markets, I can't seem to find any specific products that are designed for fighting mold and mildew. Do people have tips about that (of course, most products are in Thai). I was surprised that I can't seem to even find simple anti-mildew spray to spray in kitchen and bathroom cabinets. I do know bleach solutions can be used but as I don't know what I am doing, afraid of staining stuff.

In short ... help??!!

Let this be a warning to others leaving places vacant for a long time, but short of letting it out, not sure what I could have done to prevent this mess.

Edited by Jingthing

I don't know all causes of the problem, but your place for sure is too damp without much ventilation. The trick for instant clean-up "for now" that seems to work like a magic for me is.....

To spray directly to the mold/mildew areas with solution of - 1/2 water+1/2 bleach - and watch them disappeared in 5-10 min, then rinse area well. Make sure you have a good ventilation during this procedure.

Edited by BKK90210

I don't know all causes of the problem, but your place for sure is too damp without much ventilation. The trick for instant clean-up "for now" that seems to work like a magic for me is.....

To spray directly to the mold/mildew areas with solution of - 1/2 water+1/2 bleach - and watch them disappeared in 5-10 min, then rinse area well. Make sure you have a good ventilation during this procedure.

I have been trying to find "real" bleach for a long time, not the diluted stuff for making whites whiter in the washing machine. Something like Domestos etc. in the UK. Does anyone know where I can find it?

I have been trying to find "real" bleach for a long time, not the diluted stuff for making whites whiter in the washing machine. Something like Domestos etc. in the UK. Does anyone know where I can find it?

Try Detol, you will find it in Watsons; maybe in Big C too, not sure. It worked very good for me with the same Problem.

The bleach solution is the best for cleaning up mold but I suggest that you take a good look at why it formed in the first place.

Dampness under the floor, or in the walls is a likely cause. You need to track down the source of the dampness and stop it.

Otherwise, sickness is sure to result for any person living there.

I think the main reason it formed is that the spores were there and the place was dark, hot, and humid for six months causing a petri dish effect. Rainy season. I have read about this and apparantly the first things to get hit are anything organic, like leather, fabrics, paper, and wood. I know mold can eat houses but in my case it appears limited enough to clean. I think it wouldn't have ever happened if the place had been lived in with airing out and regular sunlight.

I have also read that UV lights and air cleaners are good, the UV to kill the spores, and the air cleaners to actually remove them from the air. Overkill perhaps.

Thanks for the feedback so far, especially about RA. I did see some stuff called RA killer and I was afraid it was something like insect poison. Big difference. I hadn't even thought about there being a problem finding decent bleach.

Still would be interested in a Thai maid to do the work for me though ... I don't like to deal with toxic cleaners, or truthfully, any cleaning at all. So far (very limited experience), the Thai cleaning help I have found have been into doing very superficial work quickly, and for this, I really need a more serious helper.

It's not recommended that you even use bleach anymore. It is actually quite useless at killing spores and mold. Spores are quite resilient and the mold you see is only part of it...the roots or hypha reach deep down in to surfaces. Where I work, I deal some with indoor air quality issues. A simple water/soap solution will work just as well. You don't have so much a mold problem as you have a moisture problem which you already know. Mold spores are everywhere, that is why I cringe when people actually have their homes tested for mold spores. It doesn't matter where you go, you are going to find spores. Get rid of the moisture problem and you don't have a mold problem.

Open the house up a bit, or use a good de-humidfier. Wipe everything down and get some air circulation going.

Yeah, I think you are correct that mold spores are everywhere and it would be a waste of money to test for their presence. The key is to prevent the conditions that they need to grow and cause damage.

Have people really had good experiences with Tip Top?

Edited by Jingthing

Try Detol, you will find it in Watsons; maybe in Big C too, not sure. It worked very good for me with the same Problem.

Sorry you didn't understand my question, I'll try putting it another way hoping this time you will realise I'm looking for "BLEACH" not "DISINFECTANT!!"

:o:D

Sorry you didn't understand my question, I'll try putting it another way hoping this time you will realise I'm looking for "BLEACH" not "DISINFECTANT!!"

:D:D

Hydrogen peroxide (3%) is an excellent cheap minimal polluting cleansing agent! :D:o

what you suggest works well, just add a little liquid dish soap to the mixture which help your formula work better by staying in place a bit longer, an old trick

Go to your local swimming pool shop and get the smallest container of liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite) they sell, It is 18 - 21% chlorine when fresh, Demestos is 8%, so dilute it at least 1:1 with water, more water is safer (add chlorine to water not water to chlorine). Do not splash or spill the stuff, it is highly corrosive and will leave big holes on your clothes and carpet. You will have a lot of demestos stuff, the chlorine level drops to about 5% with time, so use the rest of the original container to clean your drains.

I must stress this stuff is dangerous, so do not breathe the fumes and only use in a well ventilated place. Do not mix with other chemicals. If you spill any use large amount of water to clean up. If you get some in your eye/s irrigate with clean water and go straight to hospital, if you are quick the will save your eye.

On walls windows etc.

Use neat bleach,leave for a week if it reappears treat again.

I worked as a painter for a number of years and this is the ONLY way to kill the spores before repainting.

Yes there are expensive treatments on the market but I never found any that worked.

Usually condensation is the cause.

I would suggest opening doors and windows for as long as possible.

A dehumidifier would be great if you have the funds to buy one.

They are cheap to run but I`m not sure if it could be left running when you are away for weeks/months...

Also while away leave wardrobes open and do not put too many clothes in so as to allow air to circulate.....

• 12 years later...