USA phone number required for TurboTax CC payment

watcharacters

Get a free Google Voice number and use that

Also great if you need to receive a text's from your US financial institution since a lot of them are starting to require an OTP (one time password) to receive SMS messages

If someone does call your Google voice number they can leave a voice message

Get a free Google Voice number and use that

Also great if you need to receive a text's from your US financial institution since a lot of them are starting to require an OTP (one time password) to receive SMS messages

If someone does call your Google voice number they can leave a voice message

This is what I use for purposes like that described in the OP, Google Voice. It's great because you can see SMSs right away in your web browser, no matter where you are. It also transcribes voice messages left for you.

hmmm. google voice. So that does not ask for a USA physical address to tie the number to? I like the idea and being portable if you will

Google voice gives this message:

• Please note that Google Voice is only available in the U.S.
  • You will be required to verify an existing U.S. phone number to get a Google Voice number.

hmmm. google voice. So that does not ask for a USA physical address to tie the number to? I like the idea and being portable if you will

• You will be required to verify an existing U.S. phone number to get a Google Voice number.

Thanks for that Capt. I looked into the matter of a USA based phone number a few years back and ran into this issue of having to have an existing US number in order to sign up for Google Voice.

At around the same time, I believe I also had an issue with Skype in that it did not employ a tone so one could not get past voice menu with companies. That's no longer the case and when it was, I resorted to DeeDial. ( I wonder if anyone uses DeeDial today and if it's still in existence.)

I still find it odd that TurboTax recognizes there are Americans living outside the USA and accommodators that with the address acceptance but seems stuck on demanding a USA phone number.

I'm going to give Skype a three month trial. I hope I get the discount for already having a subscription.

Thanks for that Capt. I looked into the matter of a USA based phone number a few years back and ran into this issue of having to have an existing US number in order to sign up for Google Voice.

At around the same time, I believe I also had an issue with Skype in that it did not employ a tone so one could not get past voice menu with companies. That's no longer the case and when it was, I resorted to DeeDial. ( I wonder if anyone uses DeeDial today and if it's still in existence.)

I still find it odd that TurboTax recognizes there are Americans living outside the USA and accommodators that with the address acceptance but seems stuck on demanding a USA phone number.

I'm going to give Skype a three month trial. I hope I get the discount for already having a subscription.

Your problem is not with Turbo Tax but with your credit card provider in the US. And to be perfectly honest with you I don't see how you got around getting a credit card in the first place without a US phone number

I have a Thai friend that has to use TurboTax to do his Aunt's US income tax and I always give him my credit card information and he pays me back in Thai Baht and he has never had to supply a US phone number to file

you got to call Turbo Tax. I never provide a phone number when using my credit cards for payment of anything. Maybe TT really asks for that on the payment or order screen. I will take your word for it because I have never used Turbo Tax. But do they really need a US phone number for all or any CC payments? Surely some people buy and use Turbo Tax outside of the USA? They could be a business or individual that has to file in the USA because they do business with USA companies, etc? Ask Turbo Tax what other methods you could use? A foreign bank Debit card? A pre-paid credit card that you can get online or from your Thai or other country bank?

Your problem is not with Turbo Tax but with your credit card provider in the US. And to be perfectly honest with you I don't see how you got around getting a credit card in the first place without a US phone number

I have a Thai friend that has to use TurboTax to do his Aunt's US income tax and I always give him my credit card information and he pays me back in Thai Baht and he has never had to supply a US phone number to file

Thanks for your reply Langsuan Man. For clarification, i didn't open the CC account without a phone number but after being a customer for a few decades, the bank was fine with my no longer having a USA phone number. Any necessary fraud alerts which I've so far never received will be done by my email address on file.

But TurboTax nevertheless wants a USA phone number.

Let me guess. You're using a PC with IE? correct?

I'm using Firefox with a Mac. Maybe that's the difference between me and your Thai friend. I don't know what causes the issue but I do know I'd like to get through the process of sending the IRS the money TurboTAx says I owe it.

Thank goodness it's only money.

P.S. Check out my upcoming post about TT requiring a USA state code and zip code for a 1099R. Researching Google has shown me I'm not alone with this matter. There's surely a glitch somewhere in the TT software. I just want to get past it.

you got to call Turbo Tax. I never provide a phone number when using my credit cards for payment of anything. Maybe TT really asks for that on the payment or order screen. I will take your word for it because I have never used Turbo Tax. But do they really need a US phone number for all or any CC payments? Surely some people buy and use Turbo Tax outside of the USA? They could be a business or individual that has to file in the USA because they do business with USA companies, etc? Ask Turbo Tax what other methods you could use? A foreign bank Debit card? A pre-paid credit card that you can get online or from your Thai or other country bank?

Thanks, gk10002000, that's exactly what I plan to do tonight. Thank goodness I have a Skype subscription for USA calling. I can only imagine the hold time to speak with someone at TT will be enormous. I need to research the protection a debit card offers these days as opposed to a credit card. I know in the past it was far safer to use a credit card instead of a debit card but perhaps things have changed.

Can you suggest a good number for reaching someone at TurboTax? And if you have it, perhaps the time it's operational? I don't have a paid filing as I can't get past the payment page. I've filed with TurboTax in the past, however, something tells me that won't matter.

Thanks, gk10002000, that's exactly what I plan to do tonight. Thank goodness I have a Skype subscription for USA calling. I can only imagine the hold time to speak with someone at TT will be enormous. I need to research the protection a debit card offers these days as opposed to a credit card. I know in the past it was far safer to use a credit card instead of a debit card but perhaps things have changed.

Can you suggest a good number for reaching someone at TurboTax? And if you have it, perhaps the time it's operational? I don't have a paid filing as I can't get past the payment page. I've filed with TurboTax in the past, however, something tells me that won't matter.

their website makes you contact them first. I could not get to any number contact page. From a different source I get;

Customer Service: 1-866-888-2402

TurboTax Advantage: 1-800-414-5644

hours:Monday to Friday 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM PT

888-777-3066
Turbo Tax phone support
Skip waiting on hold by using our tools below. If you decide to just phone Turbo Tax yourself, here are our notes about this phone number: Say "I don't one" then "Representative" then "Representative"

TurboTax USA:

• Shopping and buying: 1-800-624-3025.
  • Download and install: 1-888-777-3103.
  • Getting started: 1-800-506-6709.
  • Preparing your taxes: 1-800-624-3025 or 1-877-288-2646 or 1-888-777-3103.
  • Printing and filing: 1-800-506-6709.
  • After filing support: 1-800-506-6709.
  • Audit support: 1-800-830-5275.
  • Audit defense: 1-877-829-9695.
  • General questions: 1-888-282-0801.
- See more at: http://www.letsdotaxes.com/contact-turbotax/#sthash.47ONvVzp.dpuf

TurboTax USA:

- See more at: http://www.letsdotaxes.com/contact-turbotax/#sthash.47ONvVzp.dpuf

TurboTax USA:

TurboTax USA:

I've had a US number for a few years because of reasons the like those of the OP. Everybody wants a phone number and the serv ice I use lets you pick one from whatever area code you want. It will take voice messages and receive faxes and e-mail them to you. The voice msgs are .wav files

I've been using mail forwarding services for about 30 years now and having a US phone number also has been very helpful.

The service I use is called "jConnect" and is 165$ per year and I am actually thinking about looking for something free or at least cheaper but I wouldn't cancel it until finding something better.

https://www.j2.com/jconnect/twa/page/homePage

I've had a US number for a few years because of reasons the like those of the OP. Everybody wants a phone number and the serv ice I use lets you pick one from whatever area code you want. It will take voice messages and receive faxes and e-mail them to you. The voice msgs are .wav files

I've been using mail forwarding services for about 30 years now and having a US phone number also has been very helpful.

The service I use is called "jConnect" and is 165$ per year and I am actually thinking about looking for something free or at least cheaper but I wouldn't cancel it until finding something better.

https://www.j2.com/jconnect/twa/page/homePage

I have one of the original Ooma machines from 2008. After the initial cost service is free for life, i.e. as long as the box works. That deal is no longer available, but the current Ooma machines cost about $100 and the monthly service charge is around $4.50. So that would be cheaper. For that you get a functioning voip phone service on which you can make free calls to and from the US and Canada and includes voice message, but not via email. You plug an ordinary telephone into the Ooma box which plugs into your router.

Ooma now has a free smartphone app that lets you check your voice messages and make outgoing calls to the US for free as long as you have internet access. Other functions are at a higher price. Your US number can be transferred to Ooma. So that would be cheaper than what you have with the same functions except for receiving faxes.

Having a US number has enabled me to avoid a lot of problems since coming to Thailand.

I can't seem to find any setting for google voice to get a new number. How did you guys do it?

attachicon.gifgoog voice.jpg

Google voice is a little tough, at least in my experience. It's tied to your US mobile number. I tried to validate my US Skype number, which 'worked' but whenever I tried to get a google voice number it error's out.

A google search seems to confirm that you do need to validate a US mobile number, so I'm back in the US in a few weeks for a vacation and will give it another try when I'm in the US using my US cellphone number/

I'll let y'all know how it goes

I can't seem to find any setting for google voice to get a new number. How did you guys do it?

attachicon.gifgoog voice.jpg

Google voice is a little tough, at least in my experience. It's tied to your US mobile number. I tried to validate my US Skype number, which 'worked' but whenever I tried to get a google voice number it error's out.

A google search seems to confirm that you do need to validate a US mobile number, so I'm back in the US in a few weeks for a vacation and will give it another try when I'm in the US using my US cellphone number/

I'll let y'all know how it goes

I verified my Google Voice number in Thailand via my MagicJack which is in no way considered a mobile number

I needed Google Voice because my US bank is suddenly requiring a SMS enabled number to add accounts for transfers

A kind poster here at TV told me that GV was the solution to the text enabled cell phone requirement and so far has exceeded my expectations

From TurboTax: We accept VISA, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover cards with a U.S. billing address

TT will verify your CC information, to include your billing address, name as it appears on the CC, expiration date, and (if they ask) the CVV number. A telephone number is NOT part of the verification process. So, I guess they ask for the phone number in case the CC info bounces -- although I can't believe they'd use a real person, even in India, to verify CC info due to cost. Why not, then, provide any phone number that comes to mind. If the rest of your CC info is valid, should process no sweat.

But if you do get a Google Voice number while in the US, remember that you won't be able to access the Google Voice control panel outside the US without using a US VPN. Further, remember that Google often blocks accounts if you start signing in from different places overseas, and unblocking can be quite a hassle.

But if you do get a Google Voice number while in the US, remember that you won't be able to access the Google Voice control panel outside the US without using a US VPN. Further, remember that Google often blocks accounts if you start signing in from different places overseas, and unblocking can be quite a hassle.

Where do you get that false information from ?

Certainly not from Google

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/115061?hl=en

Where do you get that false information from ?

Certainly not from Google

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/115061?hl=en

The following quote from the url is ambiguous. So, if I have a GV number and the GV app on my android phone here in Thailand, can I use it to get and receive calls from the US or do I have to use Hangouts?

Cost and availability of Google Voice

Right now, Google Voice is only available in the U.S. Users outside the U.S. can make phone calls using Hangouts on a computer, Android device, or iOS device.

Well here's my follow up experience. So, I tried to delete my Skype number, and re enter it as the forwarding number. Validated ok, tried to once again add a new Google Voice number, same result, "there was an error trying to add number"

So deleted Skype number and did it all again using my daughter's cellphone number. She entered the validation code, and I was up and going. Thus time when I looked at the forwarding numbers it correctly identified my daughter's number as an AT&T cell. Previously with Skype it showed no provider name. So back to adding a new Google number, this time worked a treat, number added. I then re added my Skype number, validated it, then deleted my daughter's cellphone.

Now everything works perfectly, I did a few texts in and out as well as voice, after adding some credit, seems perfect

I am now sat in Thailand using my Google Voice on my Oppo phone, not connected to WiFi or VPN and just using the native TrueH and it seems to be working fine for me.

Now that being said, in all the setup activities of my previous post I was always connected to a San Jose VPN

Archived