TOT internet rubbish

Guderian

I haven't had a cause to complain in quite a long time, but over the weekend the TOT ADSL here in the Thepprasit area has been rubbish. Download speeds have been like a dial-up modem. I'd hoped by late Monday morning they might have fixed the problem, but it's still the same. Does anybody else have a problem with TOT at the moment?

Yeh tot suxx

Thier optic is bit better

Sent from my SM-A800F using Tapatalk

Normally it's OK, at least for downloading a few files and reading the papers online. Three days of complete rubbish now. Current DL speed is 1.6 KB/s. That's ARPAnet speed.

Yes there are problems that I have not experienced in this severity before.

I am on ToT fibre 30/3 in upcountry.

So this time probably not a local problem.

I stumbled upon this yesterday when reading about slow speed to UK.

And indeed it's creeping.

This is the thread that made me aware:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/902701-how-to-improve-my-speed-to-uk/

Also so many complaints about True in the past days.

Report about sea cable problems:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/901163-sinet-warns-of-underwater-cable-damage-slow-internet/

Funnily enough I am not affected currently as my German IPTV streamed from Bangkok (still) works fine.

Also the usual mirrored stuff (youtube, MS, FB) works fine.

Thai Visa forum from Singapore all fine.

But maybe more problems to be expected.

I am convinced "something is wrong".

These downloads worked fine some two weeks(?) ago.

Creeping today:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/download.html

And these ARE files hosted in UK.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Thanks for the links and info, Khun BENQ. It seems strange that some people are reporting big problems while others say that everything is fine. The subsea cable damage should (it says) have affected all ISP's.

Also I've been having these problems now for 3 days and yet I'm the only person who's bothered to moan so far. If it was a general problem with all ISP's in Pattaya I should have expected there to be several threads complaining about internet speed, but there aren't.

My router is over four years old and I keep on expecting it to peg out which is why I ask this sort of question, to see if it's my hardware at fault or a more general network problem.

I hope it is just a sea cable problem that can be fixed,I use PC to stream

content to Tv,which for last 2 days I have not been able to do,downloads

in bytes and Kbytes, but luckily Filmon has been working OK,so had

something to watch.

regards Worgeordie

Thanks for the links and info, Khun BENQ. It seems strange that some people are reporting big problems while others say that everything is fine. The subsea cable damage should (it says) have affected all ISP's.

Also I've been having these problems now for 3 days and yet I'm the only person who's bothered to moan so far. If it was a general problem with all ISP's in Pattaya I should have expected there to be several threads complaining about internet speed, but there aren't.

My router is over four years old and I keep on expecting it to peg out which is why I ask this sort of question, to see if it's my hardware at fault or a more general network problem.

During the weekend my speeds to US were normal, while speeds to Western Europe were 1/3th of normal.

As of this morning the speeds to Europe have also normalized again.

I'm on CAT by the way.

I know of several people on TOT that have no connection since Friday evening.

I hope it is just a sea cable problem that can be fixed,I use PC to stream

content to Tv,which for last 2 days I have not been able to do,downloads

in bytes and Kbytes, but luckily Filmon has been working OK,so had

something to watch.

regards Worgeordie

Aha, somebody else in Pattaya with a similar problem. Are you with TOT or another ISP?

During the weekend my speeds to US were normal, while speeds to Western Europe were 1/3th of normal.

As of this morning the speeds to Europe have also normalized again.

I'm on CAT by the way.

I know of several people on TOT that have no connection since Friday evening.

Thanks for the info. It sounds like I'm not alone.

I tried the TOT support line - it just goes around in a circle. I don;t think in over four years with them that I've ever got through on that number. :(

So I drove over to the TOT office in Klaang. Saw a young lady who logged the problem and said a technician will check the line tomorrow. So evidently whatever the problem is the TOT office in Pattaya Klaang don't seem to know about it.

I tried the TOT support line - it just goes around in a circle. I don;t think in over four years with them that I've ever got through on that number. sad.png

So I drove over to the TOT office in Klaang. Saw a young lady who logged the problem and said a technician will check the line tomorrow. So evidently whatever the problem is the TOT office in Pattaya Klaang don't seem to know about it.

You wouldn't expect they know about it when hundreds if not thousands in Pattaya alone have the same problem, do you?

The only thing they know is what they had for lunch, and probably what they gonna have as afternoon snack, but dinner already may be too far fetched.

Aha, somebody else in Pattaya with a similar problem. Are you with TOT or another ISP?

TOT Fiber 20/10

Connections to German/Swiss servers are barely usable.

Time-outs, high latency, etc.pp.

Not even Internet-Radio from Germany is working.

Edited by Turkleton

I tried the TOT support line - it just goes around in a circle. I don;t think in over four years with them that I've ever got through on that number. sad.png

You wouldn't expect they know about it when hundreds if not thousands in Pattaya alone have the same problem, do you?

The only thing they know is what they had for lunch, and probably what they gonna have as afternoon snack, but dinner already may be too far fetched.

No problems for me, using pc and wifi on 4 devices, all working fine

Yesterday evening I noticed a significant improvement.

I had some clearly reproducable problems (extremely low rates) which are gone.

One of them being rates of 15 kBytes/s (~120 kBit/s) !!! on downloading one of these test files from UK:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/download.html

This morning rates are back to about 7 Mbit/s which is quite OK.
Test/rates to Germany and USA being better like 12 MBit/s.

Local/mirrored stuff > 20 Mbit/s.

Currently I can say that it is back to normal.

Cross my fingers.

ToT fibre, 30/3, upcountry.

Touch wood didn't help for long at my site.

Terrible again.

Is it the problem with the broken sea cable?

I read that it might last until end of March to complete repair.

Results from yesterday (16 March, about 8h Thai time) vs. today (17 March, about 15h Thai time) to German Vodafone speedtest.

Again: see the upload rate higher than the download!

post-99794-0-97778400-1458201864_thumb.j

("Ticket no." column cut out)

Downloading big files from UK: 15 kByte/s!!!

Edited by KhunBENQ

Problems both ways due to this severed submarine cable, folks.

I'm currently in my home country (France) and e-banking to my Thai bank (Kasikorn) is barely feasible these days.

DTAC's web site is agonisingly slow from here as well.

I have ToT fibre since 2 years and so far little to complain.

I assume it is a temporary problem.

And whether or not you notice it depends much on your usage.

So many trouble reports currently when you browse the forum.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Problems both ways due to this severed submarine cable, folks.

I'm currently in my home country (France) and e-banking to my Thai bank (Kasikorn) is barely feasible these days.

DTAC's web site is agonisingly slow from here as well.

Sounds plausible and of course no problems with local/regional (SEA) content over here.

As most big websites are using "content delivery networks" (CDN) you will often hardly notice a problem with those.

I have done a little research on youtube where it is most complicated.

Older highly popular HD videos will play with no problem -> mirrored in the region (CDN).

Try some private HD video uploaded in the last 24h in Europe/somewhere and by no means you can play it in HD, 360p or worse!

I'm finding it very up and down. Earlier on this morning the download speeds were OK, if not stellar, but now they're getting much slower. Maybe due to more people starting to use the internet as the day wears on?

Currently looks quite OK.

I'm finding it very up and down. Earlier on this morning the download speeds were OK, if not stellar, but now they're getting much slower. Maybe due to more people starting to use the internet as the day wears on?

Absolutely.

As a hint the picture below shows data volume at one of the biggest internet exchanges, DE-CIX in Frankfurt, Germany.

Local times.

Traffic varies between 1 TBit/s (4:00h) and 4.5 Tbit/s (21:00h).

Now comes the complicated task to overlay with usage in Thailand (6h ahead) tongue.png

Same for other time-zones.

post-99794-0-63582400-1458274893_thumb.j

A graph from youtube (Google) illustrating video usage in my region (I used it in another thread).

Times are in Thailand local time.

A similar profile over time like in Germany.

post-99794-0-34691800-1458276254_thumb.j
Edited by KhunBENQ

Indeed downloading files from UK: quite bad, 1.5 Mbit/s.

Speedtest to Germany (Vodafone) quite OK: 13.4 / 2.4 Mbit/s.

Hell knows...

Can't find any update on the repair of that defective sea-cable.

Last messages still "End of March".

Edited by KhunBENQ