Favorite coffee/shop

Spaniel

Lots of coffee choices in Thailand as well as shops. I have tried all of the big "name" places (Starbucks, Coffee World, The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, etc) as well as many of the lower end places.

I'm not that concerned with price so my choice isn't based on the cheapest but it seems by my survey that the more expensive places always seemed better then the cheaper shops. My drink is

a hot coffee latte and the best,in my opinion, is from The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf for B90. Second best is Coffee World. Remember I'm basing this on only the latte as I don't care for the other coffee's.

post-11958-0-49853600-1457942236_thumb.j

For espresso I like Amazon's offering, I find Coffee World's too bitter, while Starbucks have no idea what any coffee is other than their Americano almost makes the grade - their Macchiato is disgusting.

The best one in Pattaya is Benjamit coffee and only 60 baht. It's rated number 1 in Pattaya before the more expensive chains. Location opposite Friendship and in front of the parking lot.

Edited by balo

I don't drink coffee but Coffee World does make an excellent strawberry waffle so it's a winner in my book. I think Starbucks sells great food but I like the way Coffee World always makes waffles fresh to order instead of just warming food up.

I actually like Starbuck's (Please dont throw things at me! biggrin.png).

I like the atmosphere of the one on Soi Luang Suan. Good place to relax.

I like the Miles Davis and easy jazz Starbucks plays but 85 baht for a cup of tea negates the experience a little.

I was shocked to hear some of the well known big franchises put up 25 spoons of sugar into their drinks !

If they put any sugar in my drink I sent it back.

There is already tons of sugar in virtually everything Starbucks serves as it is made with a pre made base they just throw in the blender. These are what most people drink at Starbucks..... Not coffee, latte, etc.

I was shocked to hear some of the well known big franchises put up 25 spoons of sugar into their drinks !

There is already tons of sugar in virtually everything Starbucks serves as it is made with a pre made base they just throw in the blender. These are what most people drink at Starbucks..... Not coffee, latte, etc.
Rubbish. The only good thing about Starbucks (other than earliest to open) is that they have properly trained staff and consistency.

I speak basic Thai but when I go to other places and order my iced coffee/Americano I have no idea (really absolutely no confidence whatsoever) until I get it. The worst is Wawee. Absolutely no consistency on the preparation of menu items whatsoever.

"Mai sai Namthaan" can mean no sugar, half as much sugar, or 15 scoops. If it is not to my liking I send it back, have not been beaten to a pulp yet.

It has been explained to me "only for Farang no want", and also the local craft expresso Nazi who sneaks half a teaspoon in.

I'm not diabetic so I accept that without complaint.

Edited by arunsakda

Rubbish. The only good thing about Starbucks (other than earliest to open) is that they have properly trained staff and consistency.

I speak basic Thai but when I go to other places and order my iced coffee/Americano I have no idea (really absolutely no confidence whatsoever) until I get it. The worst is Wawee. Absolutely no consistency. "Mai sai Nanthaan" can mean no sugar, or half as much sugar, or 10 scoops. If it is not to my liking I send it back, have not been beaten to a pulp yet.

It has been explained to me that "only for Farang no want", and also the local craft expresso Nazi who sneaks half a teaspoon in. I'm not diabetic so I accept that without complaint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we are all talking about the blended drinks or the ones with a base. Not plain coffee or espresso. The vast majority of drinks at Starbucks cannot be ordered without sugar.

I see and agree, I might on rare occasion order a mocha or green tea Frappucino, just like I might occasionally eat ice cream, it's a dessert. I do not agree this is what most people order at Starbucks where the most popular drink appears to be drip coffee. The staff at Starbucks in Thailand always ask if you need room for cream and do not pollute it with any sugar. They are also communicative in the English language and I guess that should be expected at a place that charges the same prices as NYC or London and is often located in "tourist" areas.

Edited by arunsakda

For anyone using a BTS Rabbit card to pay, Coffee World have a buy one get one free offer on at the moment.

The dangerously high sugar drinks at Starbucks etc.are mostly the 'coffee' flavored double mucho el grandé presidenté XXL type concoctions.

Edited by kkerry

I see and agree, I might on rare occasion order a mocha or green tea Frappucino, just like I might occasionally eat ice cream, it's a dessert. I do not agree this is what most people order at Starbucks where the most popular drink appears to be drip coffee. The staff at Starbucks in Thailand always ask if you need room for cream and do not pollute it with any sugar. They are also communicative in the English language and I guess that should be expected at a place that charges the same prices as NYC or London and is often located in "tourist" areas.

Are you in BKK? I hardly ever see anyone drinking drip coffee besides myself. They are all drinking what appears to be some type of blended milk shake piled with whip cream.....

Are you in BKK? I hardly ever see anyone drinking drip coffee besides myself. They are all drinking what appears to be some type of blended milk shake piled with whip cream.....
No, Chiang Mai. I only go to Starbucks in the morning sometimes because the 24 hour cafe in my street only serves thimble sized cups of dishwater that make 7/11 taste like the Nectar of Venus.

A very pleasant and reasonably priced coffee shop sits at a most unlikely site: the corner of Sukhumvit Rd and Suk. Soi-7, below the Nana BTS, on the other side of the intersection from the BTS escalator.

It is run by one of the Royal projects. The coffee shop is on the ground floor and above are areas where regional handcrafts are sold.

All the usual varieties of coffee and tea drinks are sold, my hot latte was B50, about half the price of other area coffee shops. There is an outside seating area overlooking Sukhumvit and an air conditioned inside area with 4 or 5 tables.

Many of you have probably walked by this shop many times and never noticed it as it has minimal signage.

A very pleasant shelter from the heat and noise of Sukhumvit.

Perfect example. If you go to any Black Canyon in this country and order "iced Coffee champ" without qualification it may have no sugar or 10-15 scoops. Even though the picture on the menu shows black coffee it may come heavily laden with milk. The staff are not properly trained,IMHO, though this type of service may be acceptable with the locals I find it can completely beyond the pale of any normal human conduct and send it back. "Farang complain too much".

Absolutely no consistency.

Edited by arunsakda

Perfect example. If you go to any Black Canyon in this country and order "iced Coffee champ" without qualification it may have no sugar or 10-15 scoops. Even though the picture on the menu shows black coffee it may come heavily laden with milk. The staff are not properly trained,IMHO, though this type of service may be acceptable with the locals.

Absolutely no consistency.

Yes, you're right about that, you have to make sure they understand. I order iced Americano with milk, no sugar Edited by DMC1

I you want to save money on coffee at Black Canyon and own a Samsung you can download the Galaxy gift app. They have a monthly offer, a hot cappuccino or any ice coffee for 49 baht (normal price 80-100 baht). Some branches are excluded from the promotion. I have used it several times, if you own more than one device, tablet etc, like I do you can get more than one coffee per month

Edited by balo

I agree that for the big chain places, Coffee Bean is definitely the best. Their cheese cake is awesome as well.

Why can't they make nice sponge cakes with cream or jam instead of cheese, I hate cheese, and it seems to be everywhere.

Even most of the sandwiches and rolls in 7-11 have cheese on them.