Tips for buying jeans/trousers? Big legs and too hot.. (Tailored or other)

fitfalang

Heyhey,

Could anyone give me advice where I could buy jeans or other casual trousers that are suitable for hot weather? I brought a couple of jeans with me from home that fit well but they are more suited to the cold European weather..

I prefer wearing long trousers than shorts in Bangkok, because people simply treat you differently. Wearing shorts you look like a tourist and always get harrassed by tuktuks and touts, get farang priced more easily etc. ok another topic. Also I prefer not to turn up in shorts for business meetings, but this doesn't change the fact that the weather is very hot and I have the genes of an Eskimo.

One problem is that I have "powerlifter legs" (= massive arse and thick quads) so it's very difficult to get easily fitting jeans/trousers.. Are there some places that do tailored casual wear at affordable prices? (I am not looking for suit type trousers but something more casual).

Are there any specific fabrics you can recommend for hot weather? Damn I wish they made similar trousers as my GASP gym shorts, made of a type of mesh that makes them feel like you're not wearing pants at all, but doesn't look any different to normal fabric unless you inspect it very close.

Pretty easy to get decent custom trousers most anywhere.

Light wool is good in hot weather.

Take a pair (or photo) of what you want and have them copy it.

The trick is to know what you want, put no more than 30% down and keep going back until they get it right.

We had shops called "XL for men" but last time i visited one they had all lady clothes there.

There's a new kind of cotton mixed with something from Dupont to make it stretchable. I like it but forget the name of it. Surfer or sportbrands have it and it looks like normal fabric, even better than that. Go look in the The north face shop, i just bought a jeans there from that fabric and it was only 2000 baht in the sale this month. It is for extra big upperlegs, they changed the stitchlines, they are not straight but in a v-shape to make them wider.

I wear shorts as much as possible though, i think it's absurd to wear long sleeves when it's far above 30 celcius. And who wants to overcharge me will see what happens.

Edited by Thian

Linen is the bomb...breathes deeply and keeps all the bits breezy.

Personally I find a poly cotton to work well for me and it doesn't need ironing to look OK. I usually get hot weather trousers and shorts made from the same weight material that is used for shirts, the only drawback is that they don't last more than a few years, but I find the trousers almost as cool as the shorts.

If you're going to get some made then lie to the taylor about your deadline bu 3 to 5 days, they will do misfit alterations free but they will only have them made by your deadline so you will not have enough time for the changes if your deadline is real.

Linen is the bomb...breathes deeply and keeps all the bits breezy.

Personally I find a poly cotton to work well for me and it doesn't need ironing to look OK. I usually get hot weather trousers and shorts made from the same weight material that is used for shirts, the only drawback is that they don't last more than a few years, but I find the trousers almost as cool as the shorts.

If you're going to get some made then lie to the taylor about your deadline bu 3 to 5 days, they will do misfit alterations free but they will only have them made by your deadline so you will not have enough time for the changes if your deadline is real.

Yeah, the phony deadline is a good tip.

Linen is very nice but may be too casual sometimes, depending on source, style, etc.

Loose fitting khakis would be another good alternative. Something like the "Docker" brand of trousers. They're also generally available in a baggy or loose fitting style, so should be able to find some you can wear. Recommend you go to Central and have a look (You might also look at Robinson's, and at the main department store in Siam Paragon). While I've never looked for khakis there, they do have Levis, Lee, Wrangler jeans, etc. The advantage of getting something from Central (if possible) is simply that they're immediately available. Find them, try them on, and if they fit, pay for them and leave. No waiting for the tailor. Though tailored clothing is also quite nice. smile.png Bring money in any case. Dockers might run anywhere from 2,000-3,000 Baht, just guessing (My wife sometimes finds Wrangler or Lee jeans on sale for a bit less than 2,000B).

Good luck.

Edited by RedQualia

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of expats wear shorts here without looking anything like tourists. A loose cotton shirt with Chino type shorts can look fine.

If you find yourself excessively harrassed by tuktuk drivers and the like, the phrase "mai ao, khrap" is a very clear and polite refusal.