This will never change in Thailand!

nij68

So here I am at a well respected drinking place in bkk with my long term thai girlfriend who has never worked as a lady bar and has her own respected business .

First she gets approached by a farang while I visit the gents asking her how much , secondly after a night out we arrive back at the hotel which she checked in with me and they ask for her ID ..

Gladly me and her took it light heartedly but it's probably a regular thing that happens here in LOS when you have a regular real life girlfriend who is not a lady bar and gets mistaken for one ..

That will never change here in LOS ..

Well it hasn't changed since it started, so it isn't going to change ever.

When you see ridiculously older westerners with much younger women, people are aware that there will be a financial interest in it, on the part of the lady. So many people generalise, and tar everyone with the same brush.

It is not restricted to Thailand, I know many people who have taken their partner to their home country, and the first question asked is 'how much did you pay for your Thai wife ' ?

The main culprits over there asking, I believe, is are farang females !

What is a "lady bar" ?

Why should a hotel not ask for guests ID ?

Was your g/f listed by name as a registered guest at the hotel ?

Maybe you should consider changing the sort of places you visit and the type of hotel booked into ?

Another point is the fact that if it is what you describe as a 'well respected drinking place, there will probably be a fair few ladies, who class themselves as this so called 'hi-so', out with their friends for a social evening.

Many of these girls are approachable for a price.

What is a "lady bar" ?

Why should a hotel not ask for guests ID ?

Was your g/f listed by name as a registered guest at the hotel ?

Maybe you should consider changing the sort of places you visit and the type of hotel booked into ?

Regular Thai women call bar girls "Lady Bah" - meaning "bad lady"

Now that's subjectivesad.png

There must be a few good ones - which we shall hear about shortly - as sure as death and taxes

This will never change in Thailand?

You should see what happens when I bring mine over to my home country

Mine is treated with dignity and respect in my home country. Then again, it is a far more diverse place than Thailand.

Edited by BudRight

Another point is the fact that if it is what you describe as a 'well respected drinking place, there will probably be a fair few ladies, who class themselves as this so called 'hi-so', out with their friends for a social evening.

And here we see exactly the kind of farang the OP mentions.

Thailand is not one big whorehouse.

If Thailand didnt have so many amateur and professional hookers then people would not assume that everyone is a hooker.

The thing is, people don't assume that all Thai girls are hookers. Only the ones with farangs. I think that was the OP's point.

That is correct . Discussed this topic with my gf today and she agrees although disappointed that certain farangs class every thai girl as a hooker and assume they just have to wave their money at them and the girls will come running .. She feels the outlook by some of the western world on Thai women is totally unfair .. But un fortunately that's the way it is and always has been .

What my point was if I go out to dinner or a drink with her just because I am a farang it is assumed she is just after my money or a lady bah , and the worst culprits are the fellow farangs ..

We live in Chiang Rai so occasionally fly down to Bangkok to visit friends. I am selective about where we stay and we never have any problems with people being disrespectful. Where you go, how you dress and how you behave play a very big part. If you choose to frequent the kinds of establishments known for being hunting grounds, then it is your fault for putting your gf in that situation.

It is bigger than you think.

Go to one of the provincial towns, away from the tourist traps, and see how many university girls are available for a price. You don't even meet them to select, most tuk tuk driers, and the likes, broker the deal. They have lots of pictures, and your choice will be delivered to your room.

How else do you think they pay for their education, top of the range phones, cosmetic dentistry etc ?

It grieves me to live in such a wonderful country and see people bashing it and saying it will never change.

For the most part those people don't really know any thing at all about Thailand and probably about the same of their own country.

Yes there are things here as there were back where I come from that I do not agree with but I do not condemn them for ever. Change takes time.

I went to Oskar Bistro on Soi 11 with a nice Thai lady a while back. Everything was fine and we had a good time. Good music and drinks, and a decent crowd of expats and well dressed Thai ladies.

The lady I went with asked me the next week after she went to work and talked to her coworkers why I took her to a "hooker bar". Up until that point, I and her were unaware that it was a known "hooker bar"

Go to one of the provincial towns, away from the tourist traps, and see how many university girls are available for a price. You don't even meet them to select, most tuk tuk driers, and the likes, broker the deal. They have lots of pictures, and your choice will be delivered to your room.

How else do you think they pay for their education, top of the range phones, cosmetic dentistry etc ?

So what's your point? That it's reasonable to assume that every Thai girl with a farang is a hooker? That if you're on a date with a Thai lady, it's perfectly ok for a drunk tourist to come up to her and ask "how much?" Just trying to understand what you're getting at....relative to the OP.

So what's your point? That it's reasonable to assume that every Thai girl with a farang is a hooker? That if you're on a date with a Thai lady, it's perfectly ok for a drunk tourist to come up to her and ask "how much?" Just trying to understand what you're getting at....relative to the OP.

The OP stated it isn't going to change.

I do not assume every Thai girl with a farang is a hooker, but there quite a few that are.

I also did not say it's perfectly OK for a drunk tourist to come up to her and ask 'how much'.

What am I getting at ? Agreeing that it isn't going to change.

The OP stated it isn't going to change.

I do not assume every Thai girl with a farang is a hooker, but there quite a few that are.

I also did not say it's perfectly OK for a drunk tourist to come up to her and ask 'how much'.

What am I getting at ? Agreeing that it isn't going to change.

Fair enough...

I went to Oskar Bistro on Soi 11 with a nice Thai lady a while back. Everything was fine and we had a good time. Good music and drinks, and a decent crowd of expats and well dressed Thai ladies.

The lady I went with asked me the next week after she went to work and talked to her coworkers why I took her to a "hooker bar". Up until that point, I and her were unaware that it was a known "hooker bar"

You sound like a decent lad. please allow me to explain.

That soi is known colloquially by those who work in or live nearby as, Soi Low Key, or soi LoKi.

A Low key prostitution area, its not just the bar you were in, but the whole soi that is known as a hooker area.

Regular Thai women call bar girls "Lady Bah" - meaning "bad lady"

In the Thai language the adjective often follows the noun.

I therefore suggest to you that "lady bar" is a simple reversal of "bar lady".

The term, lady bar, is nothing more than a direct translation of the Thai term, pooying bar.

I have never heard the Thais use bar lady (bar pooying), please explain it to me in Thai.

Its similiar to the term, sao sewen, for the young girls working in 7-11.

Agree with the above post that checking in at a Pattaya hotel can be a problem. We occasionally head there for the weekend and I find that handing over my Thai wife's Aussie passport when asked for Thai ID normally sorts them out.