Military, DSI silent on threats by officers in Aspasia Phuket dispute

webfact

Military, DSI silent on threats by officers in Aspasia Phuket dispute
The Phuket News

1457959214_1-org.jpg
The military and the DSI today both declined to comment on why their officers were directly involved in the Aspasia tenants' dispute before Governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada intervened and called for mediation.

PHUKET: -- The Thai military and the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) today (Mar 14) declined to comment at all on evidenced allegations that their officers were involved in heavy-handed attempts to resolve the Aspasia dispute.

Allegedly among the tactics was a threat to have company representatives “taken to a camp in Nakhon Sri Thammarat without a court warrant”.

The alleged tactics were aimed at intimidating the company’s staff amid a dispute launched by specific tenants at The Aspasia residential development in Kata.

The authorised lawyers representing The Breakers Co Ltd, Duensing Kippen, lifted the lid on suspected heavy-handed tactics in a letter issued to tenants last week.

According to a letter, two men presented themselves as military personnel, while in a different episode one man claimed to be an officer with the DSI, Thailand’s equivalent to the US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).

The lawyers provided The Phuket News with CCTV video evidence and voice recordings to support the claims.

In one conversation recorded, the men threatened a company representative that the Army would “take them to a camp in Nakhon Sri Thammarat” if power supply was not restored to specific units at the apartment block.

The letter to the tenants noted, “We were informed that if we did not obey, we would be taken to the military camp in Nakhon Sri Thammarat province without court warrant.

“Based on our direct discussion with the vice governor on 7 March 2016, he did confirm that the Governor’s office did not acknowledge such action of the military and it is always a policy of the governor to find solution of dispute by way of mediation and compromising other than assaulting.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/military-dsi-silent-on-threats-by-officers-in-aspasia-phuket-dispute-56604.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-03-15

In a civilised country this would be classified as blackmail, demand with menances.

But in Thailand it is just normal practice where every government authority makes, or believes they have the authority to make any decision they wish.

In a civilised country this would be classified as blackmail, demand with menances.

But in Thailand it is just normal practice where every government authority makes, or believes they have the authority to make any decision they wish.

Thailand is under Military rule and here to stay.

More of this to come.

Thai officials ' silent ' ! Now there's a thing.

It's frightening however to think that, for example, military personnel at any rank think the power of Art 44 etc has somehow been devolved to them and they can do as they like and unfortunately, as with the BIB and other agencies, the system is set up to protect them.

This is an example of why I will never be investing anything in Thailand as far as purchases go. A few years ago I was planning and eagerly waiting to retire there. Now, with this constant Military Coup thing, and total lack of law and proper civilian rule, I just won't do it. I love the place, love so many of the people, but just won't make any sizable financial commitment there. As Thailand becomes more and more populated, I believe the financial stress on the locals is only going to increase as there are more people but less opportunities.

Thugs in uniform wear many different colours, all that matters is who pays for their services.

The Thai military is funded by the Thai taxpayers who have no control over the services they receive.

What matters is who controls the sovereignty of the Thai people.

Hint: it's not the Thai people.

Looks like a resident has paid some thugs to try and strongarm the management. The Dutch guy in the hat is not your average guy. If you seen the mclaren supercar buzzing around thats him.

Just using the Thai way to coerce the management ....

Its not often that foreigners use the Thai way against Thais.. I had to read it a few times to make sure i was reading it correct.

In a "civilized" country this would never be reported in any newspaper because it would reflect badly on the elite of the business community. Maybe it wouldn't be reported because it would be too common to even notice. At least here in Thailand the word gets out.

Looks like a resident has paid some thugs to try and strongarm the management. The Dutch guy in the hat is not your average guy. If you seen the mclaren supercar buzzing around thats him.

Its not often that foreigners use the Thai way against Thais.. I had to read it a few times to make sure i was reading it correct.

Comes with risks though as the use of hitmen is also part of the Thai way

Comes with risks though as the use of hitmen is also part of the Thai way

Im not saying its a good thing.. just saying I don't often see it. Strong arming is never good no matter who does it.

Army ‘only trying to help’ in Phuket Aspasia dispute, denies camp threat
The Phuket News

1458036201_1-org.jpg
Col Kitipong Kwanmuang, who heads the Royal Thai Army’s 41st Military Circle Phuket office. Photo: Tanyaluk Sakoot

PHUKET: -- The Royal Thai Army officer who took dispute resolution into his own hands at The Aspasia Phuket in Kata has told The Phuket News that he was “only trying to help”.

Col Kitipong Kwanmuang, who heads the Royal Thai Army’s 41st Military Circle Phuket office, told The Phuket News today (Mar 15) that he and two other Army personnel arrived at Aspasia on March 4 to “discuss” the tenant’s dispute with the apartment complex’s management.

“We went because we received complaints from the tenants. We get a lot of complaints like this, and Aspasia is just one of them,” Col Kitipong said.

“I have orders to do what we can to resolve any such disputes in our area, which is only two provinces: Nakhon Sri Thammarat and Phuket. We tried to resolve this conflict, but the talks failed.”

Col Kitipong denied that he warned anyone at the meeting on March 4 that the Army could detain any persons and take them to an Army camp in Nakhon Sri Thammarat for “attitude adjustment”.

“I did not say or threaten anyone like that,” he said.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/army-only-trying-to-help-in-phuket-aspasia-dispute-denies-camp-threat-56619.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-03-16

Army ‘only trying to help’ in Phuket Aspasia dispute, denies camp threat

The Phuket News

1458036201_1-org.jpg

Col Kitipong Kwanmuang, who heads the Royal Thai Army’s 41st Military Circle Phuket office. Photo: Tanyaluk Sakoot

PHUKET: -- The Royal Thai Army officer who took dispute resolution into his own hands at The Aspasia Phuket in Kata has told The Phuket News that he was “only trying to help”.

Col Kitipong Kwanmuang, who heads the Royal Thai Army’s 41st Military Circle Phuket office, told The Phuket News today (Mar 15) that he and two other Army personnel arrived at Aspasia on March 4 to “discuss” the tenant’s dispute with the apartment complex’s management.

“We went because we received complaints from the tenants. We get a lot of complaints like this, and Aspasia is just one of them,” Col Kitipong said.

“I have orders to do what we can to resolve any such disputes in our area, which is only two provinces: Nakhon Sri Thammarat and Phuket. We tried to resolve this conflict, but the talks failed.”

Col Kitipong denied that he warned anyone at the meeting on March 4 that the Army could detain any persons and take them to an Army camp in Nakhon Sri Thammarat for “attitude adjustment”.

“I did not say or threaten anyone like that,” he said.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/army-only-trying-to-help-in-phuket-aspasia-dispute-denies-camp-threat-56619.php

tpn.jpg

-- Phuket News 2016-03-16

I would imagine if they have it on video and have an audio sound bite as they have claimed, there might be a bit of a disagreement here.

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, steelepulse said:

Breakers Co Ltd is Aspasia? IIRC, the original development was called "The Breakers".

No idea, I just know that people who have made hotel bookings have received an email stating that the booking will not be honoured and no refunds will be given.

3 hours ago, steelepulse said:

Breakers Co Ltd is Aspasia? IIRC, the original development was called "The Breakers".

Correct ... I remember being shown about the building by one of the project manages during construction.  It was called The Breakers for the first few years.

I thought Aspasia was a hotel management/booking company to bok out the many unsold units.

Edited by LivinginKata