EU referendum: Brexit 'could weaken Nato', says top US general

webfact

EU referendum: Brexit 'could weaken Nato', says top US general

BRUSSELS: -- If Britain votes to leave the European Union it could have a negative impact on the Nato alliance, a senior US military commander has warned.

Lt-Gen Frederick "Ben" Hodges, head of the US Army in Europe, said he was "worried" the EU could unravel just when it needed to stand up to Russia.

He acknowledged the vote was a matter for the British people, but said he was concerned about the outcome.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35808955

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2016-03-15

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How could the UK exit from THE eu affect N.A.T.O. ???

The US general is talking from where the sun dont shine.

Consider soft power- take Ukraine for example. Sometimes EU and NATO work hand in hand

(I referring to sanctions BTW)

None of his business.

It's precisely his business. He's head of the US army in Europe.

He may be the head of the US Army, but he is NOT the Governor General of Europe.

Understood. But you said it wasn't his business. And it for sure is. As mentioned above, the US and NATO do work together.

None of his business.

Look at a list of countries that are members of NATO. Of course it's his business

Ask if you need me to explain

Silly reply. Just because your country is a member of NATO doesn't give you the right to interfere in another country's politics. No need for a US general to tell Britons how to vote, and no need for British pols and generals to tell Americans how to vote. Clear to you, yet?

None of his business.

Look at a list of countries that are members of NATO. Of course it's his business

Silly reply. Just because your country is a member of NATO doesn't give you the right to interfere in another country's politics. No need for a US general to tell Britons how to vote, and no need for British pols and generals to tell Americans how to vote. Clear to you, yet?

You did read the entire article, right? Seems you're missing a few key points.

He acknowledged the vote was a matter for the British people, but said he was concerned about the outcome.

Be nice....

He may be the head of the US Army, but he is NOT the Governor General of Europe.

Understood. But you said it wasn't his business. And it for sure is. As mentioned above, the US and NATO do work together.

This is an election for the British people. You and I both know that if the general had come out with a public position on anything pertaining to an American election, he would have been cashiered. The American military is supposed to keep its nose out of elections. It's legally required to do so in the US, and it should be abroad too.

4.1.2.2. Use official authority or influence to interfere with an election, affect the course or outcome of an election, solicit votes for a particular candidate or issue, or require or solicit political contributions from others.

http://www.dod.mil/dodgc/defense_ethics/ethics_regulation/1344-10.html

For better or worse, we live in a global society. What one nation does can have significant impacts on other nations. So makes sense for leaders to consider this. It's done all the time by pretty much every nation.

Back to discussing NATO and the Brexit, please.

None of his business.

the US is in a trade agreement with Canada and Mexico. I'm sure if some foreign military officer were to suggest you surrender control of your borders and law making authority,there would be a lot of a hooping and a hollering.

I agree If the UK pulls out of Europe for its own survival. Europe will not have any control over the British Forces. Usually the first to be called on to do EU Business. But on the good side maybe the UK can give them the Bill now.So yes NATO will be made to think more instead of relying on British Forces who punch well above its weight.

Edited by Thongkorn

None of his business.

the US is in a trade agreement with Canada and Mexico. I'm sure if some foreign military officer were to suggest you surrender control of your borders and law making authority,there would be a lot of a hooping and a hollering.

This discussion comes up on a regular basis. Mexico and US officials meet all the time regarding border issues. Makes sense.

https://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/row/R41349.pdf

I agree If the UK pulls out of Europe for its own survival. Europe will not have any control over the British Forces. Usually the first to be called on to do EU Business. But on the good side maybe the UK can give them the Bill now.So yes NATO will be made to think more instead of relying on British Forces who punch well above its weight.

I don't think Europe does have any control yet? Although they have been pushing for it.

What many posters seem to be missing is that NATO is a separate standalone organisation and was in existence long before the EU - (Nato was founded in 1949). As such not sure why Brexit should have such an impact. USA is in NATO but not in EU.........

Seems to me that they are trying to find any and every reason possible to support the UK staying in position.

Well, there are some pretty dumb comments on here today. I put it down to poor education and reading the crummy red top newspapers

As Churchill once famously said, the best argument against democracy is a 5 min conversation with an average voter!

Frankly it was a pity we agreed to universal suffrage.

But, back to the point

Firstly, all informed people agree that the best solution is to stay and reform the EU from within. I can't be bothered to give all the reasons but I will if pushed. Prepare to be seriously bored.

I'm sure our American cousins would like us to do substantially more to assist with the heavy lifting within NATO. Right now we could not do the Falklands or the first Gulf war.

Relying on massive economic muscle is a key benefit of the EU both to stare down that nice Mr Putin and to counter balance the occasional OTT action from across the Atlantic

Right now the UK occupies a particular sweet spot. Crazy to upset this finely balanced apple cart at a time like this. If the USA starts to implode we might be grateful for a few friends and partners

Now, off you go and read some comics before bed time.....

I don't think Europe does have any control yet? Although they have been pushing for it.

What many posters seem to be missing is that NATO is a separate standalone organisation and was in existence long before the EU - (Nato was founded in 1949). As such not sure why Brexit should have such an impact. USA is in NATO but not in EU.........

Seems to me that they are trying to find any and every reason possible to support the UK staying in position.

Totally agree. But you never see Spain. Italy, Belgum, France And the rest making the first move, Europe wants a coalition Army with German Generals. That's been obvious enough for years. Why do you Think the British Army is being run down. All part of the master plan.

Totally agree. But you never see Spain. Italy, Belgum, France And the rest making the first move, Europe wants a coalition Army with German Generals. That's been obvious enough for years. Why do you Think the British Army is being run down. All part of the master plan.
And on and on the nonsense continues

The French have been far more active than UK in recent years particularly against the damned Islamists in Africa

You think the Germans want to control a European army. They are pacifists these days

The UK armed forces are being eviscerated because the conservatives want minimum taxation

Next contender....

Edited by Grouse

You did read the entire article, right? Seems you're missing a few key points.

Be nice....

Don't worry. I'm nice 99.5 percent of the time.

Well, there are some pretty dumb comments on here today. I put it down to poor education and reading the crummy red top newspapers

As Churchill once famously said, the best argument against democracy is a 5 min conversation with an average voter!

But, back to the point

Firstly, all informed people agree that the best solution is to stay and reform the EU from within. I can't be bothered to give all the reasons but I will if pushed. Prepare to be seriously bored.

I'm sure our American cousins would like us to do substantially more to assist with the heavy lifting within NATO. Right now we could not do the Falklands or the first Gulf war.

Relying on massive economic muscle is a key benefit of the EU both to stare down that nice Mr Putin and to counter balance the occasional OTT action from across the Atlantic

Right now the UK occupies a particular sweet spot. Crazy to upset this finely balanced apple cart at a time like this. If the USA starts to implode we might be grateful for a few friends and partners

Would you be kind enough, Field Marshal Grouse, to let me borrow some of your more exciting comics, the ones that have made you "informed".

Well, your uninformed opinion rests precariously on the Cold War notion that Russia is going to attack the West. The Russians are not daft and know on which side their bread is buttered. Ever since the end of WW2,when Russia effectively won the war for the ungrateful West, they have been totally surrounded by US bases, to this day.

Furthermore, the British taxpayer is facing a bill for £20 billion to build a new Trident submarine, whose use in the world's power struggles is hard to define at best. Can anyone suppose that a nuclear attack launched upon Europe or North America by some (presumably rogue Russian president) would not be met instantly with massive retaliation from the US's still war-ready arsenal. Thus rendering pretty useless whatever midget contribution the Trident is supposed to provide.

And why is it that states at least as big, if not bigger, than the UK (Italy and Germany come to mind) are able to do without the insane expenditure on a useless deterrent against the hobgoblins of the Cold War.

Pass along please,Colonel Blimp.

Edited by blazes

But, back to the point

OK, So from one of those poorly educated average voters, can I push you to inform us WHY we would be better off in the EU.