To get Work permit you need an in class 120hrs TEFL?

2road

Hi

The hiring manager of the school that wants to hire me told me that I need an in class TEFL certificate of 120hrs;

(which cost around $800-$1000....)

without that I wont get the work permit approved she said.

Is that true? I hoped I could opt for an online certificate, which is much cheaper but she said they need an inclass one.

Also she said I need a TOIEC test taken at BB Tower in Bangkok but I don't know how if I can pay the 1.500 fees in cash

the day of the exam?

Have anyone done this and can advise?

thank you so much

You don't need a TEFL certificate to get a Work Permit. What you do need is permission from the Teachers Council to teach in Thailand. She's either ignorant or stupid or in the wrong line of work or perhaps just confused and trying to get rid of you?

The TOIEC I'm not sure about. Contact them. It's only required of non Native English speakers wanting to teach English(legally). I'm sure if pre payment is required, they have figured out a way to do a bank transfer into their account.

To get the TCT permission you will need a degree, it seems either one from the Philippines or some how certified with a transcript. Filipino's are exempt for some unknown reason. I think said reason comes from the very top, the current Prime Minister, who wants more Filipino teachers in the schools here.

I suggest you tell this "hiring manager" you checked with the TCT and said TEFL isn't required for the Work Permit. "Do you want to continue with the process?". Don't make her lose face by saying she's totally useless at her job, despite that being the case. Try to help her understand the reality of it all. Good luck!

thank you so much ;)

the hole thing just gets complicated...

it's a great school but the hiring lady , after missing two Skype appointments, kept talking non stop , I couldn't say anything...then this tefl issue

I was so excited to get this job but now I 've double thoughts

can a teacher do the 3 months probation without work permit?

thank you so much wink.png

it's a great school but the hiring lady , after missing two Skype appointments, kept talking non stop , I couldn't say anything...then this tefl issue

Judging by the lack of Capitalisation and the "hole" in that post I am not surprised the "hiring lady" is suggesting further education/qualification is required !smile.png

No work paid or unpaid can legally be undertaken in Thailand without a Work Permit.

Judging by the lack of Capitalisation and the "hole" in that post I am not surprised the "hiring lady" is suggesting further education/qualification is required !smile.png

No work paid or unpaid can legally be undertaken in Thailand without a Work Permit.

It is a commonly accepted practice that you work a 90 day probationary period before papers for work permit are drawn up.

OP

No offense but an online course certificate is good for going to the bathroom.

Most schools that I have seen in and around BKK want at least a 120 hour TESOL because unlike on line you actually have to teach when you take the course and you learn what to do in front of students as well as what not to do.

There are too many mickey mouse sign here spend a few minutes reading and then we will give you certificate courses out there.

The school is within it's rights to demand that you are not just some backpacker or transient and that you are serious.going to let you teach.

I find it interesting on this site that people denigrate a requirement that makes the teacher more accountable and educated but in another post will scream that the teachers are not trained.

Take the course it is worth the money or if you do not want or can not find the money go to a country school and work there.

Either way it is a buyers market for teachers and schools can demand what they want especially if they are going to get you a work permit and exemption from TCT rules.

It is their reputation and their students that they are

Now be careful, if you take the position and have no W.P. you may get reported."whistling.gif

A friend of mine told me the manager of the apartment complex he is staying has a one year student visa; but in fact he

is managing the building full time; and I think its illegal to work without a work permit

this manager happened to behaved very rudely with my friend, acting unprofessionally and unpolitely in many occasions

Can my friend report him to the department of labor? is it going to compromise any future entry in Thailand?

Edited by shunter

When i took my T.E.F.L.It was at a language school in Pattaya.Every day for 7 weeks,9 -5 each day.The total cost was 35.000 baht.i dont where the op gets the price of 1,500 baht from.There are also some very unscrupulous 'colleges' around as well.I could recommend the school i went to,but i understand that i cannot do so on here.

You get what you pay for.

When i took my T.E.F.L.It was at a language school in Pattaya.Every day for 7 weeks,9 -5 each day.The total cost was 35.000 baht.i dont where the op gets the price of 1,500 baht from.There are also some very unscrupulous 'colleges' around as well.I could recommend the school i went to,but i understand that i cannot do so on here.

The 1500 Baht was for the TOIEC exam, given I think on demand at a testing center in Bangkok.

Reading the OP again one starts to think it might be a course salesman just trying to lure in a customer,not really offering a job, only a promise and hope.

Thank you for your reply

The hiring lady repeated I need TEFL and TEOIC in order to get non B visa and later the work permit

and said "this is the procedure for all schools" ;

so I don't know who to believe here....

and since attending a 120hrs TEFL will absorb all.weekends

for 2-3 months I'm not sure if its worthed

Hi KKD.

So are you now working as a teacher? If so, could you PM me the language school you used.

Thanks

I would go along with some of the previous suggestions about a way (maybe poorly executed) of declining you the position 'nicely'.

Move onto your next interview and if the others all say the same thing, there might be something in it. I wouldn't dwell too long on unsuccessful interviews.

Walter Travolter,i would like to give you the details of the school i attended,but if you read the post by the know all BruceMangosteen i feel that would be adding weight to his stupid post.Some people dont realise what TV is supposed to be about.Its about ex pats helping other expats If you message me,i will try and help you further.A no cost to you.

It is a commonly accepted practice that you work a 90 day probationary period before papers for work permit are drawn up.

Not at any decent employer it is not. I have always had my WP within a week.

Not at any decent employer it is not. I have always had my WP within a week.

Happy that some schools do it..but not as prompt for many others.

<snip>The hiring manager of the school that wants to hire me told me that I need an in class TEFL certificate of 120hrs;

(which cost around $800-$1000....) < snip>

The school that wants to hire me? Is it more wishful thinking and you're the one who would like to be hired at this school?

Is it possible that they just don't want you, when reading between the lines? Might not be a TEFL issue, me thinks. -wai2.gif