RIP !

On a serous note, why do some people continually say RIP when someone dies, on TV. A christian doesn't believe he is gunna RIP, he, or she, is going to heaven, hell or purgatory.A Buddhist, depending on how they lived their lives have a myriad of options when they leave this earth, none of them include resting in peace. Atheists are just gunna rot away in the ground. The other religions i have looked up, all of them believe they are going to somewhere else, not , Resting In Peace. And the dead dont subscribe to social media to get the message. . So, why the comment, RIP?

Edited by sandgroper2

maybe you can offer some alternatives

How about saying nothing at all regarding the afterlife. I find it bizarre that people use a phrase that is mostly associated with Christianity for anyone that dies, regardless of their religion.

There are thousands and thousands of RIP comments on this site by people that have never even met the deceased. Why would anyone feel the need to comment about that subject when they have no personal relationship with the person? My only thought is that somehow it makes the commenters sound better and like they are doing something good.

For me, and probably many, its a saying of respect to mark or acknowledge a death.

Why bother saying "excuse me" or a range of other similar words, as they are intended generally as marks of polite "manners", not always to be taken "literally" and will often vary or mean nothing to others from different languages and cultures.

However, speaking of the English language, and in very general terms, its just a very polite acknowledgement of someones passing.

Thats my interpretation.

Wikipedia says: The phrase was not found on tombstones before the eighth century. It became ubiquitous on the tombs of Christians in the 18th century. For High Church Anglicans, as well as Roman Catholics in particular, it was a prayerful request that their soul should find peace in the afterlife. When the phrase became conventional, the absence of a reference to the soul led people to suppose that it was the physical body that was enjoined to lie peacefully in the grave. This is associated with the Christian doctrine of the particular judgment; that is, that the soul is parted from the body upon death, but that the soul and body will be reunited on Judgment Day.

There endeth the lesson...[emoji120]

For me, and probably many, its a saying of respect to mark or acknowledge a death.

Why bother saying "excuse me" or a range of other similar words, as they are intended generally as marks of polite "manners", not always to be taken "literally" and will often vary or mean nothing to others from different languages and cultures.

However, speaking of the English language, and in very general terms, its just a very polite acknowledgement of someones passing.

Thats my interpretation.

A polite way of acknowledging the death a person you have never met to other people on a forum who you have probably never met and they have probably never met the deceased either. Bizarre

It acknowledges the passing of a person.

It reminds me of a very old headstone that had written on it: Here Lies (Name). Let her RIP. That's a case where it would have been better to spell out Rest In Peace.

How about saying nothing at all regarding the afterlife. I find it bizarre that people use a phrase that is mostly associated with Christianity for anyone that dies, regardless of their religion.

There are thousands and thousands of RIP comments on this site by people that have never even met the deceased. Why would anyone feel the need to comment about that subject when they have no personal relationship with the person? My only thought is that somehow it makes the commenters sound better and like they are doing something good.

I usually include a RIP when I want to comment on some detail about the death, because if I don't some idiots will always to be quick to point out that I have no respect for the deceased and will add strictly no added value to the point I was making - which is not surprising considering their remark.

I usually include a RIP when I want to comment on some detail about the death, because if I don't some idiots will always to be quick to point out that I have no respect for the deceased and will add strictly no added value to the point I was making - which is not surprising considering their remark.

fair enough. ..the stupid PC world we live in.

I wanted to do this thread when the multitude were throwing up RIP's over "Bunny" but I didn't think they would let it run. Personally I have always thought it an antiquated Christian concept but I understand some do it as a mark of respect. I probably wouldn't if I hadn't known the person but in the case of the many farang that pass here it seems a nice gesture. On the flip side I am sure there are a few that throw it out there just to show how compassionate and caring they are to the rest of the forum. As far as Thais go it doesn't translate at all. The majority are Buddhist and believe in some form of reincarnation and most are cremated so I can't really speak as to what would be "resting". I think most Thais would rather be wished luck "chart na".

I wanted to do this thread when the multitude were throwing up RIP's over "Bunny" but I didn't think they would let it run. Personally I have always thought it an antiquated Christian concept but I understand some do it as a mark of respect. I probably wouldn't if I hadn't known the person but in the case of the many farang that pass here it seems a nice gesture. On the flip side I am sure there are a few that throw it out there just to show how compassionate and caring they are to the rest of the forum. As far as Thais go it doesn't translate at all. The majority are Buddhist and believe in some form of reincarnation and most are cremated so I can't really speak as to what would be "resting". I think most Thais would rather be wished luck "chart na".

somewhat related to this topic I when I give money to homeless people in the US they always say "God bless you". I politely tell them I didn't give them money because of God, I gave the money because I'm just a nice person. It is strange that they use God as a reference. Is God really looking after them when they sleep on the streets? End of rant.

I concur.

Thats my interpretation.

When saying "excuse me" or a range of other similar words", that is to the living, who can hear you, not the dead.

Wikipedia says: The phrase was not found on tombstones before the eighth century. It became ubiquitous on the tombs of Christians in the 18th century. For High Church Anglicans, as well as Roman Catholics in particular, it was a prayerful request that their soul should find peace in the afterlife. When the phrase became conventional, the absence of a reference to the soul led people to suppose that it was the physical body that was enjoined to lie peacefully in the grave. This is associated with the Christian doctrine of the particular judgment; that is, that the soul is parted from the body upon death, but that the soul and body will be reunited on Judgment Day.

And, the point of saying RIP is ???

And, the point of saying RIP is ???

I'm not saying that there's a point. I'm simply pointing out the historical context. Make of that what you choose.

I think chiselling out "RIP" on a tomb stone is more realistic than "REST IN PEACE" and cheaper charges from the stone mason.

It sounds better than "pull my finger".

Yeah, that's a different sort of RIP.......as in, ripping one off, which I can tell you a lot of corpses do when you move them about the mortuary,. Dead people farts, terrible. :D