Are there any young farang guys in Isan?

theguyfromanotherforum

Depends what ya call old i guess. Just turned 40 and been living up Udon for over 5 years. One of my best mates from work is 29 and he has been in khon kaen for a similar amount of time. Also got a few mates up in Udon in their 30's. Get real tired of the old nothing doing up in Isaan shtick. Not all of us want to live in Bangkok or bar filled sewers like Pattaya. Quite enjoy the country life with the missus and kids was sceptical at first but now I love. Each to his own I reckon.

Most of the people from "bar filled sewer of Pattaya" are from Issan, but not exactly the cream of Issan.

IMO Pattaya is the worlds best city! With perhaps the worlds worst people.

IMO the Issan people are the funnest and friendliest Thais.

I love Morlam Sing. I would be happy living there.

If I was a farang in my twenties, man, would that be good living there.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As you are asking about farang guys in isan, moving to the Isaan forum.

Yes we have some young farangs here in Buriram: Football players, English language teachers and Mormons. Always, mormons. Otherwise just visitors and football fans, Buriram Circuit racing fans. And then a few of us older guys who are still young at heart.

You would have to be one ugly dude to be chasing village gash at that age

If you are partial to darker skinned asian girls, some girls in that region are the the hottest gals on the planet.

So she grew up in a country town...yeah so?

After you teach her to speak English. I spent five years in Kalasin and do not find Isaan women particularly attractive. They do not age well.

I decided to get back to civilization. It was a good experience but would never entertain the idea again.

So TT where is you bit of civilization now? Still in Thailand or did you bail out altogether? Just interested. I'm still in Isaan but often wonder about a move. Thanks.

Depends what ya call old i guess. Just turned 40 and been living up Udon for over 5 years. One of my best mates from work is 29 and he has been in khon kaen for a similar amount of time. Also got a few mates up in Udon in their 30's. Get real tired of the old nothing doing up in Isaan shtick. Not all of us want to live in Bangkok or bar filled sewers like Pattaya. Quite enjoy the country life with the missus and kids was sceptical at first but now I love. Each to his own I reckon.

Not judging, just curious.

I like big cities, but my gf sometimes goes on about moving back to Surat thani. Was bored after 2 days and it was even my wedding.

No problem but you must realise that it's a worn out cliche from another era that guys only come to Thailand to sleep with prostitutes and hang in falang "entertainment" areas. Plenty of young professionals, offshore workers, miners whatever all over Isaan. Yours is a very narrow minded view my friend. You find boring but I don't I got a full and active life where I am. What I find boring is watching old men sitting in bars drooling over hookers waiting to die whilst telling you what a great life they've got. All over 50? don't make me laugh Nana is like gods waiting room.

Not sure what you're on about...

You would have to be one ugly dude to be chasing village gash at that age

If you are partial to darker skinned asian girls, some girls in that region are the the hottest gals on the planet.

So she grew up in a country town...yeah so?

After you teach her to speak English. I spent five years in Kalasin and do not find Isaan women particularly attractive. They do not age well.

they don't age well? neither do i, i'm afraid. or anyone else for that matter. that's the general problem with aging.

i did not have to teach my issan girl, she learned by herself and is teaching me thai at the same time.

back to the topic, there are or were a few young (in their 30th) australians in 'our' town (a good distance EAST of kalasin), one was teaching, a bigger alcoholic than me, looked a bit like the multi faced god from Games of Thrones. the other guy had - like so many aussies - more tats than brains, but he seems to have left now (to get more ink ???).

the only other farangs i meet regularly are my age or older.

I spent a few years living up country. There were good times and bad times but mostly drunk bored times. After talking to myself every morning asking " what are you doing here" I decided to get back to civilization. It was a good experience but would never entertain the idea again.

But yes, there are some young guys there but many of the ones I knew had issues in one form or another. Some however had nice families and just there so their family would have support from other family members while they were off to work in another country.

Try it for 6 months before investing too much as it is not for everyone.

Doesn't really sound like a good experience getting drunk everyday and asking yourself "what are you doing here" everyday. I'll agree on one thing though plenty of guys in Thailand who have issues but I reckon there would be more in the "entertainment areas" than out bush. You could probably even start with people whose life is so meaningless they need to get drunk everyday ;) as they can think of nothing better to do.
Where I lived I would say every farang was a heavy drinker. So if I wanted to have a sit down with my mates and discuss life I was doing it with someone who was drinking. Even if I didn't start out drinking before long I too would end up with a beer.

If I could have found even one guy who was not a drunk and who I had something in common with perhaps my stay there would have been different. I am not saying that the guys I drank with were no good I am just saying that they were heavy drinkers and one thing lead to another. When it's too hot to do anything outside and sitting drinking a cold beer is kind of nice. There were no malls, golf, tennis, aircon restaurants or bars, entertainment centers of any kind within 30 miles. Food selection is limited as is anything from farang land....

As I stated before, it is not for everyone. If you are a loner, like to watch TV or read books all day, have a big Thai family with kids, or a heavy drinker than you will perhaps fit into the country life. I for one could not so I made a change and now have everything within my reach. Some others split their time between country and city, this could be an option.

I think the younger you are the more bored you will be in the country.

So your saying farangs under 50.Didn't you know 50 is the new 30 and 70 is the new 50. You would be better off hanging around

Guys that have A little age on them.The ones that have excellent memories will keep you entertained.Also they'll give you tips on Thailand .Don't count older guys out.

Most of the people from "bar filled sewer of Pattaya" are from Issan, but not exactly the cream of Issan.

Like I said to each his own. "World's best city"??? Just have to agree to disagree there mate, not even sure how to frame a response. Back in the 90's I had my few years in Pattaya, Phukett and Nana. It got old very quickly and I made the conscious decision early on that I personally could never live in Pattaya. Couldn't even contemplate marrying a hooker. Also I come from Oz where we really do have some of the best beaches and coastline in the world, not those filthy mill ponds like Na kluea, Jomtien and Pattaya that misguided people will try and make you believe are "beautiful" beaches. Good luck to you though as long as your happy.

Wwas thinking of visiting Issan after dating a few pretty girls from there but was warned against it "the darkest part of Thailand" a true Thai veteran described it

only at night. this part of thailand is so sparsely populated there is very little stray light to spoil the night sky. thumbsup.gif

but seriously, i think bangkok must come first by many length in this one...

Like I said to each his own. "World's best city"??? Just have to agree to disagree there mate, not even sure how to frame a response. Back in the 90's I had my few years in Pattaya, Phukett and Nana. It got old very quickly and I made the conscious decision early on that I personally could never live in Pattaya. Couldn't even contemplate marrying a hooker. Also I come from Oz where we really do have some of the best beaches and coastline in the world, not those filthy mill ponds like Na kluea, Jomtien and Pattaya that misguided people will try and make you believe are "beautiful" beaches. Good luck to you though as long as your happy.

Yeah, I know not everyone agrees with the worlds best city tag I give pattaya. I don't think it is the best place in the world, but best city, yeah. Small and compact, get everywhere in 15 minutes. Fun 24/7/365, cheaper than Phuket, close to Bangkok, plenty of cheap and more upmarket Thai and international restaurants and all kinds of bars from crappy beer bars to cool Thai pubs.

The beaches in OZ are sure cleaner, but the water is a bit cold for me, and there is no one to set you up an umbrella and bring you beer and food. I was on Victoria's surf coast over Xmas, beautiful sunny day, me and a mate grabbed a six pack to drink on the beach. Some sheila barked at us we were not allowed to drink beer on the beach, I told her I was very thirsty and we were not hurting anyone, she then dobbed us in to the lifeguard who told us to tip them out or we would be fined. We were not drunk.

MARRYING a hooker? Stuff that. I wouldnt even consider having a girlfriend with a real job in pattaya. My girlfriend is an engineer in a town about an hours drive from pattaya. She like a lot of people hates pattaya and has only been twice, once for my maids wedding and once to get a passport. Previous girlfriend was the same, an hour away but a different town. Way to go I reckon.

Suits me, I spent half the time in her town (fri- min/tues) and the rest in pattaya. Nice balance for me. I have only ever seen two other farangs here, but there are thousands of hot girls working in the factories here. Heaps of Thai pubs and restaurants, and a young working crowd. Fun at night but bugger all to do weekdays as everyone is working. Mates come from Oz every year, and pattaya is easy.

The beach used to be clean in Pattaya, the first time I come. But that was in 1978.

As I said I really like Issan, the people, the attitude, the music and the food, I could move there, but there are no engineering jobs, so my gf doesn't. Maybe one day.

I rather like living here actually, so stuff the naysayers! But heck, they're to be found everywhere- just like the pox. Strange how some weird sods try to tell you you're unhappy, when you are just plain not. Makes you wonder about their life.

I'm experienced enough to make young lads look pretty much stupid.

It seems that I'll soon need some help as more and more eye candies are knocking on my door. Somebody's at the door now, gotta run. thumbsup.gif

It's me......giggle.gif

You almost passed the test. But your Scottish Kilt didn't fit. And please shave your legs.......giggle.gif

post-158336-0-86100200-1458376196_thumb.

Couldn't even contemplate marrying a hooker.

Been in L.O.Shgs , on and off , up n down , for 16 years ,

Hooker or prossy , No way .

Bar Lady , that will do nicely , cashier even better , upper class.

not the same same hooker , understand dude .

P.S , give me the good ole fat arse, beer belly , bald, ex sex tourist,, everytime

Salt of the earth We made this country , with our pensions .Lest we forget .

Young bucks are all balls , no spending bucks .Bstds

Keep our young wives in doors , just in case a chance oppurtunity a rises ,

Sutop, her shopping trips to the market , alone .555

There are, yes- mostly to be found in the larger cities and towns, English teaching. Out in the ban nok you will mostly find the old crusties. Surin, given the size of the town, has a surprisingly large younger farang scene. Check out the Reggae Bar, and no doubt you can find out more from there. But it isn't Bangkok, and neither would i want it to be.

Agree but do not forget Sisaket too. Including our new Bar in Sisaket, Leo's Sisaket, a very nice guy about 27 - 28 I'm not sure, Nice place and a wholesaler for Cider ( Thatchers ) plus a Minimart with a lot of english stuff , Ckeck out on FB Leo's Sisaket )

^^ Just checked out their FB page- looks a nice place. Will definitely visit, have a word to the man, and see what we can do. Right now Moose is selling well, but that doesn't rule out stocking some Thatchers too. Thanks again!

p.s- can't send you a PM, your inbox is full.

^^ Just checked out their FB page- looks a nice place. Will definitely visit, have a word to the man, and see what we can do. Right now Moose is selling well, but that doesn't rule out stocking some Thatchers too. Thanks again!

p.s- can't send you a PM, your inbox is full.

Should work now.

I spent a few years living up country. There were good times and bad times but mostly drunk bored times. After talking to myself every morning asking " what are you doing here" I decided to get back to civilization. It was a good experience but would never entertain the idea again.

But yes, there are some young guys there but many of the ones I knew had issues in one form or another. Some however had nice families and just there so their family would have support from other family members while they were off to work in another country.

Try it for 6 months before investing too much as it is not for everyone.

Pretty much my situation. Our baby is well taken care of while I'm off working but when I stop working for good we'll be moving for better schools and the beaches. I want to be able to see a movie in English, have my baby attend a school with English program. I think the old lady is looking forward to the move as well.

Archived