Overstay airport experience

Hello all

Just a note , for anybody that is like myself (a few days ago )and worrying a little about the 'going out ' process

Left via BKK yesterday morning , ABSOLUTELY NOTHING NEGATIVE - took an extra 5/6 minutes from passport control to Overstay Dept to Airside ( and legal )

Staff 100% professional and normal ( but not cracking jokes with me either !!)

My passport is full with back to back visa exempts and some previous overstay stamps -

I was asked why i had a current 22 month Overstay -

I replied honestly it was because somebody i really cared about got ill / was in distress and i was unable( for a few reasons )/ nor didn't want to to leave them to just so i could regularise my own Visa

I apologised for this and paid them the overstay fine and was asked did i intend to return to Thailand - i said yes i intended to purchase the 5 year ( thai elite )

The lady i was talking to didnt understand what it was until i mentioned it was ( to my knowledge )a PE ?visa ( this she understood )

She then nicely advised me ( my passport is pretty full anyway ) that i would be better to get a New passport before applying ( because of the stamps i guess ? )

I had already submitted the passport last year and had been cleared by immigration that time so i don't know if changing a passport makes much difference ( as per info here on TVISA )

Unbeknownst to myself the main reason for my OS had cleared Thai immigration and was sitting directly behind me waiting

The immigration staff noticed this ( i was the ONLY farang there ) started smiling broadly at me and handed me the passport back

So to any others worrying -- from my experience there is no need as long as you do it , at the airport and before the 20th

This is Not in anyway a boastful topic ( or whatever else the OS HATERS here on TV might call it ( i have read many of those peoples comments ( with increasing disgust ) over the last 6 months [emoji99]

( so kindly move on folks )

Sent from my SM-J200GU using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Which airport? Does it matter which one you use for overstay?

What is important is the urgent need for overstayers to pay their fine and leave the country --------which airport to use is of secondary importance and to large existent dictated by the destination and airline used.

• Like 1

Which airport? Does it matter which one you use for overstay?

What is important is the urgent need for overstayers to pay their fine and leave the country --------which airport to use is of secondary importance and to large existent dictated by the destination and airline used.

It is 2 days, 12 hours, 25 minutes, 19 seconds

until Sunday, 20 March 2016 (UTC time)

What on earth is the point of quoting minutes and seconds? The countdown is out of date the moment you click on "Add Reply". Even hours will soon be pointless and of course tomorrow the days will be wrong.

A truly useless piece of information to post on a forum.

Edited by mngmn
  • Like 1

What on earth is the point of quoting minutes and seconds? The countdown is out of date the moment you click on "Add Reply". Even hours will soon be pointless and of course tomorrow the days will be wrong.

Has way too much time on his hands (no pun intended).

• Like 1

It is 2 days, 12 hours, 25 minutes, 19 seconds

until Sunday, 20 March 2016 (UTC time)

Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock ........

• Like 2

Yes, it will be interesting to see how the Ministerial Order No. 1/2558 regarding "Classes of Aliens Ineligible for Admission to the Kingdom of Thailand" will be implemented.

I think the only question that, as yet , is unanswered is how the short, 1,2,3 day overstays will be handled if a person is found to be overstaying.

I find it difficult to believe the Authorities will wish to pursue these cases through the courts.

edit typo

Edited by sunnyjim5

Looking forward to the post Mar 20th OS reports here....once they clear IDC that is...

Not post the 20th. The rules go into effect at midnight on the 19th.

I don't think there will be any time in IDC unless they are caught. Immigration at departure points will have the authority to do the stamps banning them before leaving the country.

• Like 1

Looking forward to the post Mar 20th OS reports here....once they clear IDC that is...

Why are you looking forward to them? Don't you have anything else to look forward to?

Yes -- The March Equinox (Vernal Equinox) is on Sunday, March 20, 2016 at 11:30 AM in Bangkok.

If people can't do the right thing now and over stay their visa what makes them think they can do the right thing after March 20?

Because for some or many, overstaying was a calculated decision -- 20K baht max vs. the costs and inconvenience of complying for years with visa and/or extension regs. Now they do not have at least not the same choices as prior.

Edited by JLCrab

Another lame excuse. Jail time would be the most appropriate reward for guys like you.

Who is this comment directed at ?

Why do you want someone jailed ?

I'm guessing he is referring to the OP's excuse that he could not regularise his visa for 22 months because somebody got sick. Must admit I find it hard to believe that over a period of 22 months, some 600+ days, he was unable to find a spare day or two to sort out his visa.....

As to whether jail time is appropriate - I doubt it, why should Thailand bear the cost of supporting him in jail? Much better just to refuse re-entry for a very long time.

Another lame excuse. Jail time would be the most appropriate reward for guys like you.

I'm guessing he is referring to the OP's excuse that he could not regularise his visa for 22 months because somebody got sick. Must admit I find it hard to believe that over a period of 22 months, some 600+ days, he was unable to find a spare day or two to sort out his visa.....

As to whether jail time is appropriate - I doubt it, why should Thailand bear the cost of supporting him in jail? Much better just to refuse re-entry for a very long time.

Ok, I got excited. I totally agree with your statement. He should be refused re-entry for a very long time. There are to many giving the rest of law abiders a bad name. The 20 March will not come soon enough and I hope that they stick to their guns for once. And yes I am an OS HATER, big time, as there are absolutly no reasons for it. Many abused the system because they knew that they would get away with a 20,000 Bahts fine, so some of them overstayed 3-4 years and even more and saved a lot of money, hopefully, it won't be the case anymore. We'll see how it pan out.

It is what they are moving to, just an administrative punishment for an administrative violation (banning for a period). 22 month overstay -- there is really no excuse.... there may be reasons -- desire, weighing the risks vs benefits etc.... It is really silly in the first place to ask for a reason since really there is no valid excuse.... I don't know why they ask in the first place, maybe there is a box that needs filling in - in that case you should just make it easy on the person filling it in and say that you were "lazy".

I expect next they will be telling Thai immigration they should sell the overstayers to the fishing industry for indentured servitude :P