non-immigrant O visa (retirement) in vientiane

hi all

i understand that as recent as few months ago, when applying for a non-immigrant O visa in vientiane, the consulate has started asking for a "proof of address".

would anybody knows what proof of address are accepted by the consulate?

more specifically, i need to clarify my options for this accommodation: i am going to stay with a friend, and i won't have a contract. he can write me an informal letter stating that i live with him.

any advice if this letter would be enough?

or maybe a certification from my consulate stating where i live?

thnx x all help

gio

I find it surprising that they want proof of address. Part of the 90 day non o is possibly to sort out accommodation. Crazy requirement that they would want more than a hotel booking. You could fill in the TM 30 with the friend as the possessor.

• Like 1

I didn't know they, Vientiane, issues retirement visa.....merely a non.o 3 months i was told

yesterday i had a friend insisting he obtained a non O-A multiple entry visa in The Netherlands...he did NOT have to leave the country every 90 days but was 'stamped' by NK immigration

I thought he had a retirement visa with the normal 90 day reporting...which he can convert IN Thailand for extension of stay

Rules change fast it seems.......

About anything will be accepted as proof of address. If your friend is Thai you could add a copy of their ID card to a statement from them that you are staying with them at XXX address.

Hotel receipts and etc would also be accepted.

• Like 1

I find it surprising that they want proof of address. Part of the 90 day non o is possibly to sort out accommodation. Crazy requirement that they would want more than a hotel booking. You could fill in the TM 30 with the friend as the possessor.

that's the reason i, eventually, decided to ask you guys, experts.

i cannot even reach the thai consulate website in vientiane because it's always down, and the only time i managed to access it, everything was in thai!

i'd like to avoid going there and be denied the visa.

i attach a link of a guy who recently applied in vientiane (jacksam, you also replied to that OP). he also attached picx of the docx required, there's a poster clearly stating that proof of address is required.:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/862163-oct-2015-vientiane-first-time-o-retirement-visa-report/

I didn't know they, Vientiane, issues retirement visa.....merely a non.o 3 months i was told

yesterday i had a friend insisting he obtained a non O-A multiple entry visa in The Netherlands...he did NOT have to leave the country every 90 days but was 'stamped' by NK immigration

I thought he had a retirement visa with the normal 90 day reporting...which he can convert IN Thailand for extension of stay

Rules change fast it seems.......

You cannot obtain an OA other than in your own country. The op used the word retirement, as many do. The op is obtaining a NON IMM O based on retirement. No changes to rules for oa

thnx x clarifying

i cannot even reach the thai consulate website in vientiane because it's always down, and the only time i managed to access it, everything was in thai!

i attach a link of a guy who recently applied in vientiane (jacksam, you also replied to that OP). he also attached picx of the docx required, there's a poster clearly stating that proof of address is required.:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/862163-oct-2015-vientiane-first-time-o-retirement-visa-report/

I feel your pain brother. Would be lovely to be able to ring or have a Thai friend ring to clarify. Anyway you have advice from UBON and I would always follow that. Make sure you get back to us. Going for non imm in loas is VERY common and I would think there would be lot more post if people were having trouble with proof of address.

Don't worry too much about posters at consulates. Often they have misinformation.

Edited by jacksam
  • Like 1

Gio, the poster in the picture in the linked topic does not say "proof". It says that the "Applicant is obliged to provide the address in Thailand.". I would read that as meaning that you have to give a Thai address on the application form. Another poster/document says that you must give the "actual street address". This is probably because in the past people make up addresses or they are incomplete.

I am not saying you shouldn't take POA with you, but I don't recall any reports of anyone rejected because they didn't give proof of address and POA is rarely given as a requirement by the "experts" on this forum. That said it's better to have it if you can. I know you have challenges in that respect but you know what is acceptable.

• Like 1

Gio, the poster in the picture in the linked topic does not say "proof". It says that the "Applicant is obliged to provide the address in Thailand.". I would read that as meaning that you have to give a Thai address on the application form. Another poster/document says that you must give the "actual street address". This is probably because in the past people make up addresses or they are incomplete.

I am not saying you shouldn't take POA with you, but I don't recall any reports of anyone rejected because they didn't give proof of address and POA is rarely given as a requirement by the "experts" on this forum. That said it's better to have it if you can. I know you have challenges in that respect but you know what is acceptable.

your first sentence shed a light on why the consulate put up those posters. now it makes sense.

it seems doable.

thnx viajero

About anything will be accepted as proof of address. If your friend is Thai you could add a copy of their ID card to a statement from them that you are staying with them at XXX address.

Hotel receipts and etc would also be accepted.

it seems doable.

thnx ubonjoe

Please - Exactly what documentation do i need to present at the Vientiane consulate to apply for a non o visa based on retirement and the 800,000 THB in the bank.

I might have to go Tuesday next week....

Please - Exactly what documentation do i need to present at the Vientiane consulate to apply for a non o visa based on retirement and the 800,000 THB in the bank.

Your passport ot prove you are 50 or over and a updated Thai bank book showing the 800k baht in the account on the date you apply.

• Like 1

Thanks Ubonjoe - Might be difficult to have a same day update of bank book as office hours for visa application is 8-12

It does not need to be the same day you apply. Do an update before you start your trip to Vientiane.

• 6 months later...
On 3/26/2016 at 3:02 AM, elviajero said:

Question?..  Could an income letter from your embassy confirming 65K monthly income be used instead of the 800K bank book?

You can show the income letter to meet the financial requirements. Attach a copy of it to your application and show the original if asked so that you can use the letter when you apply for the extension at immigration.

• Like 2

Bit confused here. I am coming to Thailand on a two month tourist visa next year, then later in the year an non immigrant o/a to retire in Thailand from London embassy. Can you now get the visa to retire from Vientiane? I will be over aged 65, have the 800,000 baht and in receipt of UK pension, but thought visa leading to Thai retirement could only be gained from your home country?

18 minutes ago, defib said:

Bit confused here. I am coming to Thailand on a two month tourist visa next year, then later in the year an non immigrant o/a to retire in Thailand from London embassy. Can you now get the visa to retire from Vientiane? I will be over aged 65, have the 800,000 baht and in receipt of UK pension, but thought visa leading to Thai retirement could only be gained from your home country?

The discussion in the this topic is about getting a single entry non-o visa that allows a 90 day entry that can be extended at an immigration office for one rear based upon retirement.

A non-oa visa can only be obtained in your home country and allows unlimited one year entries for a year from its date of issue,

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 3/26/2016 at 5:02 PM, elviajero said:

Thanks for this succinct list.   I assume that`s just a photocopy of the bank book that I sign, and not a letter from the bank.

I read somewhere else someone talking about health and police clearance for the Non-O, but I assume that they were confused with needing that when applying in their home country.

I also am assuming a copy of my lease should be proof of residence if needed, and don`t need anything an official residency permit.

Edited by dancep

7 minutes ago, dancep said:

I read somewhere else someone talking about health and police clearance for the Non-O, but I assume that they were confused with needing that when applying in their home country.

Look at the date on  that post.

The are now wanting a medical and police certificate.

Savannakhet or Penang are the best but both want proof of retirement when using the money in the bank option which can be a income letter from your embassy shewing any amount of income. One person used a statement that he was retired notarized at his embassy.

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Look at the date on  that post.

The are now wanting a medical and police certificate.

Savannakhet or Penang are the best but both want proof of retirement when using the money in the bank option which can be a income letter from your embassy shewing any amount of income. One person used a statement that he was retired notarized at his embassy.

Thanks very much for your quick reply.   Things do change, and rarely make it easier.

When you say the best (penang) , do you mean they don't require the health or police certificate?  The health one is easy but the police one from my home country is impossible.  Perhaps I won't be able to do it on this trip.  The Visa service companies charge 15,000 baht and doesn't require them, but it takes 20 days.

I was told no income statement is required for the extension with funds in the bank, but maybe at Vientiane now.

I have done some searches and have not found a recent thread with the requirements.   If you have any guess on % success in Penang (or Laos)  without the police certificate let me know.     If close to zero I guess I should wait until after my next trip to home country.   

Thanks for your help.

2 minutes ago, dancep said:

When you say the best (penang) , do you mean they don't require the health or police certificate?  The health one is easy but the police one from my home country is impossible.  Perhaps I won't be able to do it on this trip.  The Visa service companies charge 15,000 baht and doesn't require them, but it takes 20 days.

Penang does not want a medical or police certificate. But do want proof of retirement if using 800k baht in the bank. 

Vientiane will accept a Thai police certificate and a low cost medical certificate from a clinic.

You can apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) at a immigration office you must have at least 15 days remaining on your entry. Requirements are here, https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Penang does not want a medical or police certificate. But do want proof of retirement if using 800k baht in the bank. 

Vientiane will accept a Thai police certificate and a low cost medical certificate from a clinic.

You can apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) at a immigration office you must have at least 15 days remaining on your entry. Requirements are here, https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

I applied at Udon Thani for a 90 day Non-Imm "O" visa and I was sent to Vientiane because it was my first 90 day visa and I had to show proof of 800,000 baht in a Thai bank, all other 90 day visa's I have been able to apply in Thailand but the original visa I had to apply outside Thailand

Ubonjoe, can you get a Thai residence certificate if you do not have a non-imm "O" visa?

The OP has asked about proof of address. There are 3 addresses on the application form.

1. Address in Laos

2. Address in country of residence

3. Proposed address in Thailand.

What address does the embassy want proof of?

For the address in Laos I listed the hotel I stayed at and for the other 2 addresses I used my Thai address and that was accepted

When I applied for my 90 day visa, I did not need proof of any address, neither did I need a police report or medical but as I listed the reason for the visa was for retirement I was required to show proof of income, which was 800,000 baht in a Thai bank or an income of 65,000 baht per month or a combination of both bank and income