Are pickup trucks a safer driving option in Thailand?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In the video, they died because they installed "gas", very trendy thing for Thai car drivers, and it got caught on flames. Had they didn't install it, they'd still be alive.

If you don't know what "gas" is just ask any Thai person near you. Don't say gas, say "gat"

Edited by MatteoBassini

Did anyone die in this accident ? Focus people got out OK before it burned ?

This story is on today's Thai Visa Bulletin video on the Home page. The two young people in the small car were killed. There is controversy over the investigation of the Mercedes driver.

In the video, they died because they installed "gas", very trendy thing for Thai car drivers, and it got caught on flames. Had they didn't install it, they'd still be alive.

If you don't know what "gas" is just ask any Thai person near you. Don't say gas, say "gat"

There's no way of knowing if they would have survived or not, but I wouldn't like my chances after being rear ended at 200 kmph by a car that would weigh twice as much.

There's no way of knowing if they would have survived or not, but I wouldn't like my chances after being rear ended at 200 kmph by a car that would weigh twice as much.

You die already from the force of the impact in this special case.

Also it was reported that the rear axle was struck in the front seats.

The gas and fire was just a secondary reaction.

I agree. Chances are that they were dead before the fire started.

One for Newton and mathematically inclined TV members, reasonable assumptions required:

As to the OP's question then, re: pick up trucks, in this scenario, with 4 or 6 feet of additional chassis out the back (depending on model), wouldn't that additional mass absorb/diffuse more of Merc's transferred energy?

Granted, the pick up would still be sent careening forward/right angle, at which point a higher COG, presumed stiffer suspension and potentially unfavorable driver input to the controls, if any, may well increase probability of a roll over. Either before or after colliding with the concrete barrier under fly-over piling.

One for Newton and mathematically inclined TV members, reasonable assumptions required:

As to the OP's question then, re: pick up trucks, in this scenario, with 4 or 6 feet of additional chassis out the back (depending on model), wouldn't that additional mass absorb/diffuse more of Merc's transferred energy?

Granted, the pick up would still be sent careening forward/right angle, at which point a higher COG, presumed stiffer suspension and potentially unfavorable driver input to the controls, if any, may well increase probability of a roll over. Either before or after colliding with the concrete barrier under fly-over piling.

Tough call if being in a pickup would have spared them....Possibly - if the MB would have slid under the truck along the the frame contact they might have been ok.....Little doubt the smaller cars fold up worse than something more substantial....

Almost looks like the car was mostly intact but after burning the front fenders seem gone - possibly plastic fenders/body panels?....

Hard to tell but it looks like the MB never braked or saw them.....

That's a horrid smell....

Right, wrong or otherwise, I'll take my chances sitting up higher in a pickup. My wife would rather drive her car but she says that she feels safer in the pickup. I would also say that in the event of a roll over or being hit hard from behind the pickup is safer.

Added - Diesel vehicles also rarely catch on fire.

Edited by Gary A

Right, wrong or otherwise, I'll take my chances sitting up higher in a pickup. My wife would rather drive her car but she says that she feels safer in the pickup. I would also say that in the event of a roll over or being hit hard from behind the pickup is safer.

Added - Diesel vehicles also rarely catch on fire.

Agreed - wife (and I) both feel safer in the SUV's - both diesel - than the Civic....

The safest cars to be involved in an accident in are a) the newest and B) the heaviest.

A pickup is not a bad shout if it's less than five years old and hasn't been lifted (GOOGLE it) but you could do much better. Large saloon or something like an X5.

Ok, short answer is NO Pickups are not neccasary safe than small sedans, example is the Great Wall V200 which has an ANCAP Safety Rating of 3 Stars compared to the Ford Focus which has a safety rating of 5 Stars.

In a collision it then all depends on how they impact,

...not much structural integrity....

...also if you have an empty bed......easy to wipe out....

Every truck is different, check the crash test ratings. I was at the police station on the motorway one day and saw a DMAX 4 door crushed so bad anyone in the back seats would be dead and very little room left in the front seats. I checked later and that model (Colorado and DMAX) have terrible crash safety ratings.

Too bad I bought the Colorado before I knew that.

Ok, short answer is NO Pickups are not neccasary safe than small sedans, example is the Great Wall V200 which has an ANCAP Safety Rating of 3 Stars compared to the Ford Focus which has a safety rating of 5 Stars.

Ford Ranger is Ranked 5 stars on Euro Ncap in 2012 --> http://www.euroncap.com/en/results/ford/ranger/10926

And it also have the best rate for pedestrian protection.. interresting ?!?

There is th ancap from sept 2015 as well here -->> https://www.ancap.com.au/safety-ratings/ford/ranger/40e4c5

Airbags: Dual Frontal, Side, Head Frontal Offset: 15.72 out of 16 Side Impact: 16.00 out of 16 Pole: 2 out of 2 Whiplash Protection: Good Pedestrian Protection: Acceptable ESC: Standard Seat Belt Reminders: 3.0 out of 3 Overall Score: 36.72 out of 37 ANCAP Safety Rating:

Every truck is different, check the crash test ratings. I was at the police station on the motorway one day and saw a DMAX 4 door crushed so bad anyone in the back seats would be dead and very little room left in the front seats. I checked later and that model (Colorado and DMAX) have terrible crash safety ratings.

I'd guess that your D MAX safety ratings are outdated. I checked the safety ratings for the 2015 model before I bought it and it is five stars. I suspect the Chevy is also five stars.

I'd guess that your D MAX safety ratings are outdated. I checked the safety ratings for the 2015 model before I bought it and it is five stars. I suspect the Chevy is also five stars.

Agreed they have gotten better, but mine unfortunately is a 2004. The problem is that it is in perfect shape with 50k km so I can't justify getting rid of it....

The main idea is that you should always check the safety ratings of any car or truck to determine how it will survive a retard slamming into you at mach 1.

There are far too many variables to put too much faith in crash tests. Surviving a bad crash is a matter of luck if you survive or not. I've seen totally smashed vehicles where people walked away and others the didn't look too bad and there were fatalities. I do agree that it is a good idea to have as safe a vehicle that is available, that's why I checked before I bought. I also think that trucks with more ground clearance are safer. I've seen 4X4 trucks rear ended where the car actually went under the truck enough to lift the rear of the truck. I expect a frontal crash may be similar.

I have had sedans here for 12 years. On average I would get about 5 accidents a year, 99% I was in my right, because people didn't give way or whatever.

For the past 7 years I drive a pick up, an in total I have had 2 accidents.

One was when another car hit me while I was parked, and another was when a tour bus in front of me had his drive axle catapulted through my windscreen.

Seems like other road users are aware if they see a pick up that they better don't mess with it.

Another advantage is that when I drive over any public road in Pattaya, or Thailand for that matter, it doesn't feel as if suspension is gonna enter the cabin.

The OP is asking about pickups being safer in a rear impact. The crash test Star ratings don't say much about rear impact protection.

Star ratings between different size vehicles are not comparable.

I have had sedans here for 12 years. On average I would get about 5 accidents a year, 99% I was in my right, because people didn't give way or whatever.

One was when another car hit me while I was parked, and another was when a tour bus in front of me had his drive axle catapulted through my windscreen.

Seems like other road users are aware if they see a pick up that they better don't mess with it.

Another advantage is that when I drive over any public road in Pattaya, or Thailand for that matter, it doesn't feel as if suspension is gonna enter the cabin.

Wow, that's a lot of accidents/incidents.

I had to chuckle at your screen name. The Cruncher! laugh.png

Think I would rather my chances in a truck being hit by a speeding Merc than any of those two.......

I would rather my chances in a Merc a speeding Merc thancheesy.gif

In reiting tested on 120-160 speed?whistling.gif

and maybe even on the forehead 80 + 120 = 200
I saw a man from the German sedan even greater lpbovogo collision speed. He remained alive.
So my point
its not big deal pick up or sedan after 80 km..
And pick up still bad handeling if compare with sedan.. even full loaded. but full loaded breaking distance its up!!

remind me not to travel in a vehicle with you, in facr could you please send me a copy of your route for any journey south/east of pattaya, i'll stay at home that day

remind me not to travel in a vehicle with you, in facr could you please send me a copy of your route for any journey south/east of pattaya, i'll stay at home that day

May be you could try to read my post again, v e r y s l o w l y , the there is a chance that you notice that in 99% of the events it wasn't my fault.

So actually I should ask YOU for your route, as you might be the next one damaging my car.

Mon ami, after many years I have not had one accident yet...I was taught to read the road...That has come in very handy here for sure....But for sure a twonk running into you has no prevention.....But, your quota does raise a question mark...whistling.gif

Ha ha "not had one accident yet" it's nothing to say. my friend grand ma no have any accident but she drive as **** even don't know road rules and many time broken road rules..

Once i know she cut the car and the car accident with another. and i guess it not first time.. but YES she no IN accident ..cheesy.gif

Just lucky.

Ive had 3 very near misses over years. all my fault and all involving some silly wannabe sitting in the right hand lane with their nose up their rectum thinking they are doing the right thing by sitting on the speed limit blissfully unaware of EVERY SINGLE VEHICLE using the left lane to pass them.....

Edited by Don Mega