Looking for insights in Phuket estate developments Koh Kaew area (Sansiri, Land&Houses, etc)

Bob12345

"Regarding retaining ownership; my wife is Thai so she can possess the property without problems." - so, you are basically paying your wife rent. Right?

I have no idea how to interpret that question.

But we, as a couple, own the house and pay for it by the income from her work.

So i am not paying her rent, although you could say she is renting me?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Regarding retaining ownership; my wife is Thai so she can possess the property without problems." - so, you are basically paying your wife rent. Right?

I have no idea how to interpret that question.

But we, as a couple, own the house and pay for it by the income from her work.

So i am not paying her rent, although you could say she is renting me?

If that's the case, can you explain how "we, as a coupe, own the house?"

What, exactly, do you own?

Not that it's a problem, if you didn't contribute any capital, but surely you have contributed something, other than your good looks and charm? biggrin.png

Edited by NamKangMan

Not that it's a problem, if you didn't contribute any capital, but surely you have contributed something, other than your good looks and charm? biggrin.png

Philosophical: i don't own anything because when I leave this world it will all stay behind anyways.

Legal: as my wife and I are married it is our shared property. That would mean she owns half, and I own half.

That is, when we paid off the mortgage and the bank is out of the picture.

But I get the feeling we are slowly drifting off-topic here coffee1.gif

Philosophical: i don't own anything because when I leave this world it will all stay behind anyways.

Legal: as my wife and I are married it is our shared property. That would mean she owns half, and I own half.

Bravo for your post. Exactly the way I look at property ownership here in Thailand.

I too take they view that I own nothing here in Thailand, although being legally married I do have at least a 50% claim on my wife's land, which I have a year to sell off as I am not Thai.

But I get the feeling we are slowly drifting off-topic here." - not really.

You said, "we signed"' - so I was just exploring your exposure to the "we" part of the signing, which then became a mortgage, not an "off the plan" purchase, which then became YOU didn't purchase anything, your wife did.

Whilst you are under no obligation to explain yourself to me and / or this forum, for me, a few things do not match up.

So, not off topic to ask who owns what, and at what stage of building, and completion.

Edited by NamKangMan

Dont listen to NKM hes the most cynical poster on Phuket forums if not the entire site. He never has good to say about anything in Thailand. I personally dont know why he lives here with such a crap attitude.

Glad you have found somewhere you like. Im actually taking a drive over there tomorrow and seeing it for myself, thanks for the heads up.

Bravo for your post. Exactly the way I look at property ownership here in Thailand.

I too take they view that I own nothing here in Thailand, although being legally married I do have at least a 50% claim on my wife's land, which I have a year to sell off as I am not Thai.

"Exactly the way I look at property ownership here in Thailand." - "I too take they view that I own nothing here in Thailand," - what a novel concept of "ownership." biggrin.png

Are you suggesting a foreigner can own 50% of the value of land here, simply by being married to a Thai?

Edited by NamKangMan

Dont listen to NKM hes the most cynical poster on Phuket forums if not the entire site. He never has good to say about anything in Thailand. I personally dont know why he lives here with such a crap attitude.

Glad you have found somewhere you like. Im actually taking a drive over there tomorrow and seeing it for myself, thanks for the heads up.

Of course, no one has lost money on property, and / or in relationships, on Phuket, or Thailand.

Your personal attack on me is not backed up by historical fact.

As for why I continue to live here, I have said so many times before, and will say it again, I am here for the sun, sea, sand, seafood and snatch - simple as that.

I'm not here to "invest" in property I can not own, and to adopt an extended family from Issan.

I'll leave that to guys like you, 2fishin2. biggrin.png

Please let me know what you think of the place after having seen it for yourself thumbsup.gif

(including any concerns you might have, it will help me in mitigating possible problems)

Please let me know what you think of the place after having seen it for yourself thumbsup.gif

(including any concerns you might have, it will help me in mitigating possible problems)

Sure will. Best place I found before was Pruska village in Kathu.

Are you suggesting a foreigner can own 50% of the value of land here, simply by being married to a Thai?

Yes, if the house was bought after the marriage, husband and wife get 50% each in the event of a divorce, but, because a foreigner cannot have land in their own name, the property must be sold within a year and the proceeds divided.

That's the law.

Edited by KarenBravo

Checked it out today. Went to both projects. The cheaper one is typical Thai style where the most expensive houses were definitely above standards. As usual you get what you pay for. I was impressed with the good side. Actually I would buy one of them. In fact, thinking seriously about it in the future.

Checked it out today. Went to both projects. The cheaper one is typical Thai style where the most expensive houses were definitely above standards. As usual you get what you pay for. I was impressed with the good side. Actually I would buy one of them. In fact, thinking seriously about it in the future.

The cheaper project is the Inizio. You mean you are interested in the more expensive (larger) house of that estate?

(Inizio is about 4.5-5.5M, while 88 is from 7M-13M)

The cheaper project is the Inizio. You mean you are interested in the more expensive (larger) house of that estate?

I saw both and am now looking at an 88 house. The Inizio side is typical of other Thai projects in same price range. Although, I feel the build quality in that project is superior to others in same price range. I looked at an Inzio house at the end of a road by wall which had a larger yard than normal. Was turned off immediately as house across street had already built a home business which, turn me off at any project. I want a house in a housing neighborhood not home business row.

Nice place but the 88 project houses quality is what I am looking for.

We'll see in about a year or so.

I saw both and am now looking at an 88 house. The Inizio side is typical of other Thai projects in same price range. Although, I feel the build quality in that project is superior to others in same price range. I looked at an Inzio house at the end of a road by wall which had a larger yard than normal. Was turned off immediately as house across street had already built a home business which, turn me off at any project. I want a house in a housing neighborhood not home business row.

Nice place but the 88 project houses quality is what I am looking for.

We'll see in about a year or so.

Yeah, I confirm your feelings regarding Inizio.

The projects is row after row of the almost exact same houses build in a straight line which is extremely typical for Thai estate projects.

In my view its only a matter of time before people start extending their house or painting it red with golden dragons on it like a Chinese temple.

Or, as you mentioned, turn it into a business.

The quality seemed okay when we visited it, but we first went to 88 so after that it did seem a bit lacking. Of course you cannot expect thick hardwood floors in a 5M house.

At 88 I got a different feeling as the houses are less suited to extend (due to the space available, building style, etc) or change into a Chinese temple (which I have seen happened at the Sansiri Koh Kaew project with 7M+ houses).

The buyers agreement also mentioned that you should not start running a business out of your house, and I guess they try to avoid that happening by keeping the estate under their own management and making it difficult to get 5 cars in a day to visit you. When my wife bought her wedding dress years ago we visited the shop which was in a housing estate in Bangkok and it seemed like a disaster for neighbors who wanted to live in a quiet housing estate and ended up with 5-10 cars parked in front of this one house and people going in and out all day long. There might not be guarantees it won't happen, but with current management staying in place I hope they can avoid it as much as possible.

• 1 year later...

Just a quick update:

As you could imagine the house is well done by now and we took ownership about 2 months ago after the bank gave us the mortgage.

At the moment we are not living there yet as there are some minor after-sale issues that need to be fixed (more about that later) and we want to get some things redone (also more about that later also).

The house was done almost perfectly on time, they were only a few weeks late which was no real problem for us.

Once they told us they were done we hired an engineer specialized in construction checks and the guy went through the house for 4 hours together with a representative of the builder.

He tapped on every tile, checked every electrical outlet, flooded the bathrooms to check for leaks, etc. In total he ended up with a huge list of defects which sounds horrible but there was nothing really serious. Actually he mentioned how the house was well-constructed and the list was basically filled with spots on the wallpaper, 1 tile in the living room not perfectly fixed, 1 electrical outlet not working, some scratches on the wooden floor, etc.

From there on it went slow; after-sales took a couple of weeks to fix the issues and with the next checkup not everything was completely fixed. So now the second round of fixing minor issues is taking place.

Besides that we haven't moved in yet because we want to make some changes. Since we did not pay the house up-front they could not incorporate all our wishes into it from the start. Simply said they build a wall and put the wall paper on it even though we already knew we will knock the wall out as soon as we take ownership of the house. But they can't leave the wall out for in case we don't get the mortgage and they need to sell it to someone else. At the moment we are looking for a reliable contractor who can make the changes we want.

Once that is done we want to get a kitchen installed and move in there once done.

From our visits to the moo-baan and our experience so far:

House quality: 9/10 (maybe even 10/10 if it was not for the list of minor issues)

Club house, pool, common area: 10/10 (perfectly maintained and we have not seen more than 3 people using the huge pool so far; there is even a life-guard at the pool and a trainer in the common gym)

After-sales: 3/10 (really bad: not every problem was fixed, they tell us about delays on the day of the deadline, lacking communication in general)

Price: 7/10 (it is expensive, especially since we wanted a nice green area around the house so we can make a nice garden there. But Phuket is not cheap at all and we do seem to get quality for the amount we paid)

Hmm....the inspector comes up with a bunch of defects, but claims it's not that bad. I believe him.... probably not bad for Thailand.

When I was studying music and playing jazz in the orchestra, the conductor would always say "good enough for Jazz" while we were tuning our instruments....I guess it's the same for Thailand.

In all honesty, you can't accurately rate the quality of construction and maintenance unless you lived there for a decade. My condo in Canada which is 17 years old looks much better than "hiso" buildings completed only a year ago here.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Hmm....the inspector comes up with a bunch of defects, but claims it's not that bad. I believe him.... probably not bad for Thailand.

Its a house that is "hand-made" so it will never be perfect, not even in developed countries.

To be honest, the largest part of the issues should have been spotted by the builder already. Guess they just do their best and hope the new owner wont complain and sign off on it instead of redoing things to delete every little mistake to make it perfect.