Alleged hit-and-run driver surrenders to Thai police to acknowledge charges against him

webfact

An alleged hit-and-run driver surrenders to police to acknowledge charges against him

275-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- An alleged hit-and-run driver reported himself to the police at Bangsue police station today (Monday) and admitted that he did not stop his car after hitting a family of three riding on one motorcycle because he was in a hurry to visit his sick father.

39-year old Mr Santi Piyavisutrak, an employee of a company, also apologized to the three victims that he didn’t intend to hurt them and he did not see that there was a girl riding on a motorcycle with her parents.

The incident took place on Rama VI road on Sunday and it was recorded by a witness who eventually posted the video clip to the social media prompting many netizens to condemn the driver of being cruel-hearted for refusing to stop his car and to help the three victims after the accident.

The couple, Mr Krisda On-bua, and his wife, Mrs Sunee were slightly injured but their nine-year old daughter was seriously injured and was hospitalized at Mongkutwattana hospital.

The car driver was charged with reckless driving causing injuries to the other people and with refusing to help people in distress, said Pol Lt-Gen Sanit Mahathavorn, acting commissioner of metropolitan police bureau.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/156091

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-03-22

"39-year old Mr Santi Piyavisutrak, an employee of a company, also apologized to the three victims that he didn’t intend to hurt them and he did not see that there was a girl riding on a motorcycle with her parents."

Depending on the company he works for and his position, an apology might be all the punishment necessary. I'm sure that will bring much relief to his victims.

A delayed small step in the right direction by coming forward,

I just wonder would that have been the case had not the social media

effect taken hold.

No excuse period for not stopping and rendering assistance, (T T F BOOK)

I think those words should be printed on all licences.

right next too are you a organ donor.

Dash cams and social media might have a positive impact on the Thai road deaths and at least accountability.

Indeed. Mind you the pressure that they can exert to make certain agencies act may also may cause "disruption" to the lubricants for the wheels of justice, and therefore lead to increased calls for "regulation", all in the cause of justice of course.

Interesting thought. The popularity of dash-cams may become the prime mover of changing how Thais drive.

I am certain that if this dash cam video had not existed and posted the hit-and-run driver would have never turned himself in.

Dash cams and social media might have a positive impact on the Thai road deaths and at least accountability.

Indeed. Mind you the pressure that they can exert to make certain agencies act may also may cause "disruption" to the lubricants for the wheels of justice, and therefore lead to increased calls for "regulation", all in the cause of justice of course.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if we would see a defamation suit brought against someone with a dashcam who recorded a hiso causing an accident.

Interesting thought. The popularity of dash-cams may become the prime mover of changing how Thais drive.

I am certain that if this dash cam video had not existed and posted the hit-and-run driver would have never turned himself in.

Agreed, Russian behaviour was changed by the almost universal use of dash cams plus social media. Have a look on Youtube.

At the same time, most of us old fogeys were driving with our parents and even grandparents 40 / 50 years ago listening to their comments and in the UK at least we were subjected to an intense program of education, prevention and repression. Anybody seen a Thai road safety film lately? All that the road security committee here does is periodically announce that punishment will be more severe over the coming holidays

One phenomena that won't change is that 700+ people will die during Songkran every year. Coincidence?

was charged with reckless driving causing injuries to the other people and with refusing to help people in distress

Truck drivers get charged a lot quicker then luxury car dealership owners that kill other road users.

coffee1.gif

Your comment would make sense if it was factually correct in any area. The person you are referring to was charged just as quickly.

Parents should be jailed for no helmet on their baby. Negligence?

Also irresponsible and breaking the law. Please TV posters don't try and defend something that is morally wrong.

Please, Laughing Gravy, don't give directions to other posters on how to post their own opinions, your halo may slip one day.

Also irresponsible and breaking the law. Please TV posters don't try and defend something that is morally wrong.

Please, Laughing Gravy, don't give directions to other posters on how to post their own opinions, your halo may slip one day.

Look who's talking!

Where is the video? How do people know the injured child wasn't wearing a helmet? I'm confused, the link itself doesn't have an embedded video showing on mine (firefox or chrome)

Here you go:

Hope that empathy-depraved swine will do jail time for this!

Sickening comment!!! What always amazes me is that for whatever crime committed, some apologist crawls out of a dark cave somewhere to blame the victims... Just like those perverted idiots who blame girls who got raped for dressing too sexy, giving the wrong looks, walking the wrong street at the wrong time, whatever... People who point fingers at victims of a crime are the lowest of the low IMO. sick.gif

Edited by MockingJay

Sickening comment!!! What always amazes me is that for whatever crime committed, some apologist crawls out of a dark cave somewhere to blame the victims... Just like those perverted idiots who blame girls who got raped for dressing too sexy, giving the wrong looks, walking the wrong street at the wrong time, whatever... People who point fingers at victims of a crime are the lowest of the low IMO. sick.gif

It is not "blaming the victims"- it is unrelated to that accident and what I meant with "there is so much wrong..."!

Of course the main point is the hit-and- run!

But when I started reading and the article mentions "3 people" on "a motor cycle" , one of them being a child, which was (surprise, surprise!) hurt the most...

The whole case is just Thailand- traffic101!

No rules, no empathy, no driving skills, no safety....

and with refusing to help people in distress, said Pol Lt-Gen Sanit Mahathavorn, acting commissioner of metropolitan police bureau.______________ that is an interesting charge , would it only be applicable to motor vehicle accidents ? or could it be applied to other instances of peoples actions ? i wonder . coffee1.gif

Where is the video? How do people know the injured child wasn't wearing a helmet? I'm confused, the link itself doesn't have an embedded video showing on mine (firefox or chrome)

Here you go:

Hope that empathy-depraved swine will do jail time for this!

Thanks for the share, I agree that the hit and run driver should get hammered in court for this. Also I wonder if the family hit will learn anything from this awful yet all too common episode. Hope so