Lifetime ban to be considered on Mercedes Benz driver in Ayutthaya fatal crash

webfact

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Regular foreigner, over-stay, jail time. (Over-stay - major felony)

Rich HiSo, kill two people, every option will be discussed but jail time. (Man-slaughter - no problem)

Done in the US? This rich <xxxxx> would be in jail for a long, long time.

Done here in the LOS? Money talks, rich folks walk. Jail is for 'little people' and political enemies.

Edited by connda

The standard sickening result in Thailand. He should be jailed for

a very long time for vehicular manslaughter. If he did

this in the states, he would be in a world of hurt....

A ban ?? For a country obsessed with face, I wonder if

the government has any idea how stupid this makes them

look on the world stage...

Right, like this American kid who only got 10yrs probation for killing 4 people on the side of the road? His lawyer's defense...suffering from 'Affluenza'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethan_Couch)

"The new Mercedes Benz models have a black box just like planes."

No, they don't. They do have an ECU controlling the cars various functions, that's all, no "black boxes".

Same same but different,

you say potato I say potato.

It is a combination of Hardware and software like a computer with memory, so they can take out the data from last trip. It is not a black box, but it does have the same functionality (logs of incidents)

please see wiki info on ECU

In automotive electronics, Electronic Control Unit (ECU) is a generic term for any embedded system that controls one or more of the electrical system or subsystems in a motor vehicle.
Types of ECU include Electronic/engine Control Module (ECM), Powertrain Control Module (PCM), Transmission Control Module (TCM), Brake Control Module (BCM or EBCM), Central Control Module (CCM), Central Timing Module (CTM), General Electronic Module (GEM), Body Control Module (BCM), Suspension Control Module (SCM), control unit, or control module. Taken together, these systems are sometimes referred to as the car's computer. (Technically there is no single computer but multiple ones.) Sometimes one assembly incorporates several of the individual control modules (PCM is often both engine and transmission)
Some modern motor vehicles have up to 80 ECUs. Embedded software in ECUs continues to increase in line count, complexity, and sophistication. Managing the increasing complexity and number of ECUs in a vehicle has become a key challenge for original equipment manufacturers (OEMs).

I am very doubtful that any information from any of the vehicles ECU's will provide any information to be used as evidence. Some posters are making references to the vehicle's "black box". This is actually an EDR "event data recorder". This EDR records a lot of different information from numerous sensors and is continuously being overwritten. EDR's are activated when an airbag sensor is activated during a vehicle crash. It also records when there is a sudden change in wheel speed in one or more wheels, like what would occur on rain slick pavement or ice conditions. In a vehicle crash, there would be maybe 5-10 seconds of stored data prior to the airbag deployment, such as if or when the brakes were applied, initial vehicle speed, speed upon impact, seatbelt operation and numerous other data. In the US most vehicles sold since 2014 were required by federal law to have an EDR, but some foreign manufacturers were given an extension, Volkswagon and Merc Benz were two. My observations of vehicle models sold in Thailand are that vehicle safety features are at a minimum compared to those sold in the US and probably the other major countries. If Thailand does not require EDR on vehicles it is very doubtful that Mercedes includes one. I say this because I see many Thailand sold vehicles that do not have the same safety features (front and rear passenger airbags, 4 wheel disc brakes, traction control as examples) as the same car sold in the US.

According to Thai language news, they already know the speed he was doing, 240 km/hr, after calculating the time elapsed between him roaring through an Easy Pass gate a bit earlier and the collision. The guy's a serial offender behind the wheel, and has absolute disregard for any law. It's now global news and the world is watching. If Prayut sits on his hands and lets the BiB screw with this one to keep him out of prison there will be serious international repercussions, I suspect.

According to Thai language news, they already know the speed he was doing, 240 km/hr, after calculating the time elapsed between him roaring through an Easy Pass gate a bit earlier and the collision. The guy's a serial offender behind the wheel, and has absolute disregard for any law. It's now global news and the world is watching. If Prayut sits on his hands and lets the BiB screw with this one to keep him out of prison there will be serious international repercussions, I suspect.

I believe 240 km/hr is only an estimate. If I remember correctly that toll gate incident occurred about 1 hour before the accident and he didn't go that fast thru the gate. If police are using the two incidents to establish the vehicle speed, the driver would have been half way to Surin at the time of the crash. The dash cam video that was taken by the vehicle on the outer road would be the best evidence to establish the drivers speed. The time that elasped from when the Merc vehicle first appeared on camera till impact and the distance the vehicle covered during this time would give a better speed estimate. This is the way police checked vehicle speed prior to using radar, a known distance between two points and the time it took to travel it.

Let's hope so.

I really want this guy to meet Tyrone.

The standard sickening result in Thailand. He should be jailed for

a very long time for vehicular manslaughter. If he did

this in the states, he would be in a world of hurt....

A ban ?? For a country obsessed with face, I wonder if

the government has any idea how stupid this makes them

look on the world stage...

Do you realise how stupid you look when you make comments without taking in what reports actually say?

He has been charged for the deaths, a court will decide the outcome just as it does in US.

Transport Authorities are considering revoking his licence, they have nothing to do with the bringing of criminal charges.

Guess you have not been in Thailand long, you do not

read the news, or you lack cognitive thinking skills..... See

the punishment for the Red Bull heir, the teen who killed

the people in the van, and the guy who ran his Mercedes

into a bus stop killing people because he was angry. See

what punishment they have received...Oh none. Intelligent

people believe the past is an excellent indicator of the future.

Only some noise is made to save face, and the wait for the

gentle Thai fade away. The Red Bull case is an absolute

perfect example of how it is done.

I've heard many people say that the police are bungling idiots, which many are, but it's the judicial system that hands out the punishment and THAT IS WHERE THE BIG MONEY PASSES THROUGH FOR LENIENT TREATMENT! I don't think the main religion here is Buddism, it's BAHTISM.

" his family stated that he will be making reparations and compensation to the family of the deceased victims, and will also enter monkhood as a merit making."

What a load of crap! No charges for manslaughter, etc, just a confiscation of his driving licence, and a week living in a local temple.

Then in a few months time he can legally change his name and get another driving licence.

I agree with everything said here, plus of course in the mean time he could employ a driver to transport him about for little cost; he should receive some form of punishment that reflects the true horror of his crime.

paying off the families and entering the monkhood! for how long? it seems that every time a thai does something terrible he goes into the monk hood! wonder who will bring his food to his cutie? and loosing his driving priviledges for life? that's why they make cheufers!

I would really like to express my tughts but thai visa would have a hissy fit and ban me for weeks! just think how disgusting this appears in civilized countries!

in a country where a driving licence is widely viewed as optional, or even unnecessary in many cases, I fail to see how taking it away will deter a person who very clearly has a complete disdain for adhering to the law in the first place. A dirty, dingy, overcrowded prison cell for a long time will be the only thing that deters him from straying outside the confines of the law in future

The very fact that he is in a cushy Bangkok private hospital on a ridiculously low bond after killing two people when compared with Uncle SMS who died in jail of stomach cancer because he could not post bail for a few SMS messages to some bureaucrats says it all about Thailand and lack of justice (or common sense for that matter)

Do you really think that this hi'so boy is going to be punished in any real way.Don't you all understand that's its his Buddha given right to do what he likes,and if a couple of young students,of no importance, get killed in the doing of it,well that's OK too.

If a certain hi'so can get away with murdering two tourists on a certain island, do you really think that this situation is going to be any different?

As for entering the temple,i bet it will be in a bespoke robe,and his food will be delivered by a couple of young lovelies that will stroke his brow to help him cope with the tremendously wonderful thing he is doing.The only decision he will have to make,when he comes out,will be whether to take the blue 'Merc' or the red one from his old man's car lott next time.No suspension of his DL or ant further punishment will be levied,as 'the poor boy has suffered enough'

'He will have to live with this for the rest of his life' I think he will live with it for a week,if i am any judge of Thai,long term memory.

But,c'est la vie,that's the way of it here.So all the suggestion's of what should happen to him,don't mean a ferkin thing.

And as for the world stage? Well,to the people here,that's just a method of transport

To sum it all up, would anyone expect to see justice served by the Thai Royal Police ?

Google it and read the section headed Corruption.

In a 2008 article, The Economist summed up their assessment succinctly: "In Thailand's most sensational crimes, the prime suspects are often the police."[14]

One thing for sure. With the dash camera recording (which has probably been seized and erased by now) it is less likely that a migrant worker can be a scapegoat.

IMO, while Thai behaviour permits vast amounts of money to be paid to the grieving families to escape with a minimum sentence, that doesn't bring back the victims lives. He should spend a significant time in jail as well.

If that didn't happen, and I was a grieving Thai father, I'd use the blood money to send him to Buddha also. Old testament justice.

The very fact that he is in a cushy Bangkok private hospital on a ridiculously low bond after killing two people when compared with Uncle SMS who died in jail of stomach cancer because he could not post bail for a few SMS messages to some bureaucrats says it all about Thailand and lack of justice (or common sense for that matter)

The 200k bail is the set amount for everybody.

To sum it all up, would anyone expect to see justice served by the Thai Royal Police ?

Google it and read the section headed Corruption.

In a 2008 article, The Economist summed up their assessment succinctly: "In Thailand's most sensational crimes, the prime suspects are often the police."[14]

"........would anyone expect to see justice served by the Thai Royal Police ?"

I would expect the Thai Courts of Justice to do that job. Which, in many cases, they do not.

We can all hear the bells at the Wat and smell the story is going to fade out into sweet nothings.....

This is a farce, the guy should be behind bars already. but TIT

" experts from Mercedes Benz who have been asked to inspect the vehicle and help find out the speed of the car upon collision with the Ford car, have stated that they will have to postpone and gave no specific alternate date."

Because Mercedes Benz are worried if they "snitch" on their customer, they would loose out on millions of baht , The new Mercedes Benz models have a black box just like planes. give info about speed on impact, if any brakes used etc etc....

but that no-one want to talk about.... truth smacking you in the face.... very bad for face, loose face..... better to make merit, and pay some money, say sorry and all go away....

coffee1.gif

after all TIT

...the FBI managed to unlock those phones without Apple...so I'm quite sure local accident investigators will determine fairly accurately both vehicle's speed by examining-

(1) marks at the scene,

(2) witness statements, and

(3) video footage whereby timing between fixed points and calculating will give a very accurate result.

A little way to go yet!

Edited by rodcourt49

They just have no idea how to proceed with justice do they!!!!!

He's guilty, killed innocent people, a sack of complete waste who'd be shot if he were a dog.

But he's rich and his dad wants him out....

"We've since discovered the accused was not in the car and a migrant peski worker half-inched the Benz and drove it into the back of......"

No Thai would commit a road violation.

I got 10 baht says he manages to get better & walk again...all the way to Singapore or at least Swampy.

Driving ban???? Ya think? Vehicular manslaughter & deserves at least 30 years.

A ban on him breathing again would be more fitting.

ALSO, any retard with a tape measure (measure distance at the scene), and a stopwatch should be able to tell he was going nigh on 250 KPH or better.

AND ANOTHER thing... I got 20 baht says the ECU was damaged beyond all repair and/or will get changed out with another one, and the case will drag on for 15 years or more.

How would you use the tape measure and stop watch to work out the speed.

from experience its a bit more complicated than you have posted or think it is.

We shouldnt care if he was doing 150--180--200-220--240--250--HE WAS SPEEDING---- if any punishment is to be given(notice I said IF?) then is it to be commensurate with the speed of the vehicle.The other big question for me is,If he was to get a lifetime driving ban----- how the hell is this supposed to be enforced? Do we have a policeman permanently placed outside his residence 24 hours a day for the rest of his lifecheesy.gif ,or do we wait until he unluckily happens to be asked for his licence at a random check point ------- almost as stupid !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Twenty five years to life in prison would be more appropriate and send a message at the same time.

I only hear gnuu gnuu blah blah from the government, drinking and driving, texting and driving go hand, motor manslaughter, all acceptable here.

This man who has no heart for living people should go straight to jail. Only in Thailand can you buy your way out of jail. Thailand will always be a third world

country. No civilized law and no honest judges to enforce it!