The Rolling Stones arrive in Cuba for historic concert

webfact

The Rolling Stones arrive in Cuba for historic concert

HAVANA (AP) — The Rolling Stones arrived in Cuba's capital Thursday, on the eve of the rock band's historic free concert in a country where its music was once silenced.

Mick Jagger offered a brief greeting in Spanish and said he was happy to be on the island.

Friday night's concert will come three days after President Barack Obama wrapped up a visit to the communist-run island during which he declared an end to the last remnant of the Cold War in the Americas.

The band's private plane flew into Jose Marti airport with the four British rockers and about 60 technical workers and family members. The concert will be at Havana's Ciudad Deportivo.

"We have performed in many special places during our long career, but this show in Havana will be a milestone for us, and, we hope, for all our friends in Cuba, too," the band said in a statement released before the arrival.

In the heat of Cuba's revolution from the 1960s to the 1980s, foreign bands like The Rolling Stones were considered subversive and blocked from the radio. Cubans listened to their music in secret, passing records from hand to hand.

The band's Cuba stop follows concerts in Brazil, Uruguay, Chile, Argentina and Mexico.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-03-25

See lads take the Stones as a good example, just keep goin man!! even in retirement find something useful to work on and keep smiling and young women of course (That's what keeps the Stones going!!). You don't need to pay 10 million quid annually alimony like Ronnie has to to his ex, Noi is available for a small fee with no hassles as long as you don't get too involved enjoy!! Satisfaction!

The Stones,great,back in the day,but that was the day.I wonder if the kids who attend the concert will actually know who they are!

They may see it as just a bunch of geriatrics singing on a stage.What is their collective age now?400 years? I loved the music of the day,sympathy for the Devil,Gimme Shelter,great songs,never to be emulated,but they must need the money badly to have to keep on rolling.And also they have a child molester among them,never brought to trial.It would be better if they gave a huge retirement concert,and just made studio albums.Jagger's voice is not what it was,that showed in California,when Merrie Clayton had to give major support to him on the live version of Gimme shelter.

I was,am,and always will be a fan of the stones,but i think its time to hang up the show now boy's.

Need the money?

Last year Forbes listed the earnings for the band as US$57.5 million

Jagger's private wealth US$360 million

Their 2013 tour grossed over half a billion US$

I don't think money is a 'need'....

Maybe they enjoy performing?

^^^

I wonder if the kids who attend the concert will actually know who they are!

Huh? Would they be attending the concert if they didn't know who they are? And as for "...needing the money ..."!!! Dave, come on man. How do you think they pay for the fuel in their private jet! :)

The Stones have always represented something extraordinary.

The Stones,great,back in the day,but that was the day.I wonder if the kids who attend the concert will actually know who they are!

They may see it as just a bunch of geriatrics singing on a stage.What is their collective age now?400 years? I loved the music of the day,sympathy for the Devil,Gimme Shelter,great songs,never to be emulated,but they must need the money badly to have to keep on rolling.And also they have a child molester among them,never brought to trial.It would be better if they gave a huge retirement concert,and just made studio albums.Jagger's voice is not what it was,that showed in California,when Merrie Clayton had to give major support to him on the live version of Gimme shelter.

I was,am,and always will be a fan of the stones,but i think its time to hang up the show now boy's.

Couldn't disagree more KK Dave.

Music is one of those things that is ageless. I hope that when I'm a really old gramps I can sit on my porch and strum some Stones chords.

Ray Charles? BB King? Are you saying that right now if you had the chance you wouldn't go see Ray?

Rock on Stones, Keith is living on massive borrowed time and good on him, he's gonna "walk before they make him run".

Well it's a free concert so I am sure they won't care. I myself like the gesture it represents.

_88952497_0b391ab8-3d21-493e-9440-0e495b

The Rolling Stones have rocked Havana, playing to tens of thousands in the Cuban capital, where most foreign rock music was banned for several decades.

Many of those at the free concert were lifelong fans who for years had to keep quiet about their love of the Stones and other groups.

Mick Jagger welcomed fans in Spanish before opening the performance with the 1968 hit Jumpin' Jack Flash.

Tens of thousands of Cubans queued for hours to get into the grounds of Havana's huge 450,000-capacity Ciudad Deportiva venue.

"Hello, Havana. Good evening, my people of Cuba," said Jagger before beginning the eagerly awaited performance.

The band swept through 18 songs in a two-hour gig, including Sympathy for the Devil and Satisfaction.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-35901988

_88952493_88952491.jpg

_88952427_9412bd85-1d85-4672-ac2a-73a73d

Edited by gomangosteen