Whats Expensive Whats Not

You can't get a 99 baht breakfast back home smile.png

The price is not as important as the breakfast. Thais, even in quality hotels can't even fry an egg properly! And their toast is just warm (terrible Thai) bread. The best breakfast, either American or English are the best I have had and were prepared and cooked by me!

For 180 baht, you can get a regular breakfast at O'Malley's in the Anusarn Market in Chiang Mai. Orange juice, coffee, two slices of toast (one white, one wholemeal ) with jam and butter. Scrambled eggs, two pork sausages, potato fries. All perfectly cooked.

I admit you have to get lucky. It took me two years to train the staff to serve my coffee after the meal, not before.

to bad , i like my coffee during breakfast. Now you spoilde them .[emoji53]

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im Australian , but I have no idea why some of my countrymen feel obliged to hurry to list Vegemite as a food stuff that simply cannot be done without by all Australians.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

Perhaps its some sort of way for them to be culturally assertive , or a form of mild jingoism - I dont know.

But with the way they go on , those unfamiliar with Aussie ( Oy, Oy , Oy !! - puke- ) food habits must be left assuming Vegemite is a mainstay like potatoes or meat , when in fact its a spread used sparingly on bread ( or toast ) rarely more than once a bloody day !!

Its ridiculous to list it high up in a list of 'must haves' in Thailand.

Just to prove that , I am constantly being given unopened jars of the jumbo size by compatriots who have spent an extended holiday/semi-retired here as they prepare to return home.

Seems they dont eat as much of their their Must Have Veggie as they say they plan to.

I dont want the stuff , and try to hand it on , but very often potential recipients also claim to have too much already!

The Kraft people must love this over consumption ...

On the subject of electricity , the OP may not be aware that Thais can and usually overcharge for it and pocket the profits.

No heating or new season winter clothes are a saving , and shoes are great and cheap here also.

I'm an Aussie and I know the prices between both places, good quality clothes is cheaper in Thailand, most brand sneakers are cheaper than oz as well, if you want to eat like your an Aussie in Asia it will cost you lots, learn to turn the air con off and run fans, I've lived there I know the go now, but you have to make some changes or there is no advantage.

For 180 baht, you can get a regular breakfast at O'Malley's in the Anusarn Market in Chiang Mai. Orange juice, coffee, two slices of toast (one white, one wholemeal ) with jam and butter. Scrambled eggs, two pork sausages, potato fries. All perfectly cooked.

I admit you have to get lucky. It took me two years to train the staff to serve my coffee after the meal, not before.

to bad , i like my coffee during breakfast. Now you spoilde them .[emoji53]

They still bring coffee out before to any other customer.smile.png

Im Australian , but I have no idea why some of my countrymen feel obliged to hurry to list Vegemite as a food stuff that simply cannot be done without by all Australians.

Perhaps its some sort of way for them to be culturally assertive , or a form of mild jingoism - I dont know.

But with the way they go on , those unfamiliar with Aussie ( Oy, Oy , Oy !! - puke- ) food habits must be left assuming Vegemite is a mainstay like potatoes or meat , when in fact its a spread used sparingly on bread ( or toast ) rarely more than once a bloody day !!

Just to prove that , I am constantly being given unopened jars of the jumbo size by compatriots who have spent an extended holiday/semi-retired here as they prepare to return home.

Seems they dont eat as much of their their Must Have Veggie as they say they plan to.

I dont want the stuff , and try to hand it on , but very often potential recipients also claim to have too much already!

On the subject of electricity , the OP may not be aware that Thais can and usually overcharge for it and pocket the profits.

No heating or new season winter clothes are a saving , and shoes are great and cheap here also.

I always had a jar of Vegemite in the fridge in Oz, didn't mean I used it every day, but when I had the craving, it was there. Besides jam and honey, there's very little in the way of spreads in Thailand, certainly nothing savoury that I'm aware of. Another one I miss, again, never used it every day, is Peck's Paste.

Yes, lighters, as i am a smoker and as i hate the cheap ones sold here.

Bic flint..17bht......Bic electronic...25bht.....7/11....Mini Tesco..

How different is a foreign flame from a Thai one?

I could not enjoy breakfast without Vegemite to wake up my taste buds in the morning.

I think the point is it's ridiculously expensive in Thailand. So I bring over 6 large jars which are all consumed before I go back to Oz.

I wasn't aware I was being culturally assertive, but thank you for an interesting point of view.

The flame is the same, but not the usage. A normal Bic lighter lasts at least 5 times longer than a local Taiyo or what so ever and you never get a cornea (i'm not a heavy smoker anymore, but if you use such lighters you will know the difference almost immediately).

I can't believe people that have worked 30-40 years, saved this

Money and now have a pension would care about the cost of

Baked beans. It's only money people, and nobody takes

It with them....enjoy and stop complaining about such

Insignificant items.

I cant believe people that old are eating baked beans

The flame is the same, but not the usage. A normal Bic lighter lasts at least 5 times longer than a local Taiyo or what so ever and you never get a cornea (i'm not a heavy smoker anymore, but if you use such lighters you will know the difference almost immediately).

Iam a heavy smoker and those bulk packs from Makro work well.... 50 lighters for Bt.180.00 is a bargain and last atleast 6 months.

I go maybe up to 6 days, fish and rice, fish soup fish whatever, thats all Ill get from the wife

And Im like so hanging for butter and cheese, and butter on toast in the morning means vegemite, Its wierd, dont really eat it back in Aus

But always bring a small jar because after all that fish, gunna need toast smothered in butter

Insignificant items.

At 65 I still eat them cold straight out of the tin sometimes I stir hp

sauce in.

Insignificant items.

sauce in.

Eating it at that age, I wasnt really concerned about, how beans come out the other end I was wink.png

Insignificant items.

sauce in.

Eating it at that age, I wasnt really concerned about, how beans come out the other end I was wink.png

What has age got to do with that? sh*t is sh*t. What are you supposed to sh*t, sawdust?

A number of threads mentioned Spain is cheaper. I haven't been there but is it really cheaper than Bangkok? I be very surprise. If it is there is no reason for Spanish to be here other than for women.

Because people only come to Thailand to either save money or get laid?

What a depressing way to look at things.

A number of threads mentioned Spain is cheaper. I haven't been there but is it really cheaper than Bangkok? I be very surprise. If it is there is no reason for Spanish to be here other than for women.

Well, other then escaping the cold, found a new partner? Idk.

For some reason a pair of Nike or Asics are expenisve in thailand.. Only made around the corner but more expensive then US, Uk, Canada, Aus or Nz sad.png

Sent from my c64

30% import duty.

7% VAT.

Etc

Etc

Etc.

I thought that too but then can you explain to me why the Nike stores in China or Vietnam (tried both as I import all my Jordans) where they are made, sells them for more than you can buy them in Aus, UK, US etc?

For some reason a pair of Nike or Asics are expenisve in thailand.. Only made around the corner but more expensive then US, Uk, Canada, Aus or Nz sad.png

Sent from my c64

30% import duty.

7% VAT.

Etc

Etc

Etc.

I thought that too but then can you explain to me why the Nike stores in China or Vietnam (tried both as I import all my Jordans) where they are made, sells them for more than you can buy them in Aus, UK, US etc?

Maybe they are made in a tax free export zone and for them to hit the shelves in China they need to be "imported".

Peanut butter is expensive here in Thailand. I always bring back 4 big containers when I come back from the U.S.

Buy peanuts whole peeled unroasted put in food processor and peanutbutter comes out,costs peanuts.

I once tried to make peanut butter with fresh unroasted nuts.

It was so much work for the hand blender that the machine jammed and burned out!

Next time I used roasted nuts and they smashed down wonderfully.

Well, other then escaping the cold, found a new partner? Idk.

Yep, that'll be the one!

(But I am a Brit who retired to Spain)

Capital cities are always more expensive than the surrounding country.

So Bangkok is almost certainly more expensive than Spain, but probably cheaper than Madrid.

It would also depend on what you want out of your life,

Spain is certainly cheaper than Thailand in general for bread, cheese, beer and wine (I live there 3 or 4 months each year).

And with 25% Spanish youth unemployment, sex is probably on sale at a discount price too (but I'm not interested in sex, so have no relative costings).

Edited by BritManToo

We just don't worry about it - we live and eat well, with a mix of Thai and (sometimes) what we used to have in Australia, knowing that it will all balance out.

If you want expensive, try Darwin - 25 years there and it became prohibitive. Here we live well within our means - and she who must be obeyed is a good shopper...

Bob A. Relaxed in Lampang