Living Expenses In Bangkok

JayBird

I have a job that takes into mansions and council houses. After a while they all blend into one. There really is no reason to be jealous of anyone. You can only live in one room at a time. If someone has a bigger room than you do so what. There will also be people living in smaller rooms than you have.

I lost my ability to get jealous a long time ago.

If I see someone driving a Bentley I just think to myself 'can I have your car please' Then I carry on walking because I don't own a car.

Some people love eating in high end resturants some people prefer the local café, who cares ? not I.

Just enjoy what you have, neither think you are better than a person you have more than, or think the person who has more than you is anyone to be jealous of.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a job that takes into mansions and council houses. After a while they all blend into one. There really is no reason to be jealous of anyone. You can only live in one room at a time. If someone has a bigger room than you do so what. There will also be people living in smaller rooms than you have.

I lost my ability to get jealous a long time ago.

If I see someone driving a Bentley I just think to myself 'can I have your car please' Then I carry on walking because I don't own a car.

Some people love eating in high end resturants some people prefer the local café, who cares ? not I.

Just enjoy what you have, neither think you are better than a person you have more than, or think the person who has more than you is anyone to be jealous of.

Great attitude, Bery. Buddha couldn't have put it better. Seriously.

Whoever you are, on any given day you are going to pass someone on the street ten times as wealthy as you are and someone ten times poorer. And none of the three should give a rat's.

There's no call for calling someone a 'sucker' for spending 50k, 100k, whatever per month on rent.

That being said, if they are paying 50k/mo and the room next door to them of the same view/size/etc. is 10k/mo, then there might be an argument they are being taken advantage of.

There are *lots* of places for 10k-15k per month which are quite nice. But if money is not a primary factor, you can get something which is *MUCH* nicer for 50k/mo (ideal location, ideal furnishings, much larger in size, better neighbours ).

Now whether or not an individual places value on that sort of thing is up to an individual -- we have many people here with many different priorities and desires.

Some might gawk at what I spend on Protein, Supplements and Gym fees :P

My real expenses are like this...

50,000 rent on condo

10,000 electric water and whatever. It isn't worth my time to break it down I can't be asked to count my BTS tokens.

25,000 on food from places like Tops and Villa and some booze.

50,000 on everything else including drinking, restaurants and whoring.

I have an okay life and don't have to skimp but I do not live extravagantly either.

This is also for two people, we are both farang.

There's a word for people like you. It's "sucker". I do all of the things you mention and I spent 15,000, at most 17,000 a month. If you're paying 50,000 baht for your apartment anywhere in Thailand, you need your head examining. Good luck, mate.

there's a description for people like you. it's "financially poor but possessing a wealth of hallucinations." wai2.gif

I'd just like to make it clear that I'm not at all financially poor. I'm probably much wealthier than you, as I'm wealthier than about 90% of people. However, I dislike spending money. That is how I became wealthy in the first place.

50,000 rent on condo

10,000 electric water and whatever. It isn't worth my time to break it down I can't be asked to count my BTS tokens.

I have an okay life and don't have to skimp but I do not live extravagantly either.

There's a word for people like you. It's "sucker". I do all of the things you mention and I spent 15,000, at most 17,000 a month. If you're paying 50,000 baht for your apartment anywhere in Thailand, you need your head examining. Good luck, mate.

there's a description for people like you. it's "financially poor but possessing a wealth of hallucinations." wai2.gif

I'd just like to make it clear that I'm not at all financially poor. I'm probably much wealthier than you, as I'm wealthier than about 90% of people. However, I dislike spending money. That is how I became wealthy in the first place.

If you are that wealthy why live in Thailand like a pauper when you could buy your own country and live like a king ?

50,000 rent on condo

your wealth is indeed flabbergasting. especially when seen from the perspective that my average monthly electricity bill is higher than your 17k Baht living expenses. surely that must be the reason why you are wealthy and i am a poor sucker. cheesy.gif

Wealthy people in my experience don't use the term sucker. They understand the price and value of things. If you want to live centrally and close to work. That has a price and value to whomever makes the decision to live there. If one chooses to live somewhere inexpensive then that is a choice and most wealthy people would understand that. They usually also don't go around telling people they are wealthy either.

OB

Wealthy people in my experience don't use the term sucker. They understand the price and value of things. If you want to live centrally and close to work. That has a price and value to whomever makes the decision to live there. If one chooses to live somewhere inexpensive then that is a choice and most wealthy people would understand that. They usually also don't go around telling people they are wealthy either.

OB

Yes, or asking how much they paid.

Also, I am from SoCal many people in a big house and MBZ or BMW or Porsche. I have never heard another ask how much they paid for something. Like you said they understand things.

It almost is rude or sounds cheap, so people just do not ask.

Thailand is much different though as "how much" is the first word out of their mouths in many cases.

Edited by bkk6060

There's no call for calling someone a 'sucker' for spending 50k, 100k, whatever per month on rent.

That being said, if they are paying 50k/mo and the room next door to them of the same view/size/etc. is 10k/mo, then there might be an argument they are being taken advantage of.

There are *lots* of places for 10k-15k per month which are quite nice. But if money is not a primary factor, you can get something which is *MUCH* nicer for 50k/mo (ideal location, ideal furnishings, much larger in size, better neighbours ).

Now whether or not an individual places value on that sort of thing is up to an individual -- we have many people here with many different priorities and desires.

Some might gawk at what I spend on Protein, Supplements and Gym fees tongue.png

Protein power and other supplements will only kill you in the end. Your body isn't meant to process that stuff. There are few bodybuilders alive over 60. Those that are have permanent health damage.

Just because you have a lot of money does not mean you need to spend it. Some people prefer to live frugal or efficiently or not over-pay or get ripped off just because they can afford to be.

Some people like the idea of being efficient with money (saves some for other more enjoyable or useful expenditures).

Some people just don't like getting ripped off (Why pay 100k/mo in rent when you can find something just as good for 30k/mo ? Why pay 30k/mo if all of your needs and happiness can easily be met by 10k/mo ?)

Reminds me of a Thai Actress who bought 7 Hermes bags. Could I go out and buy 7 Hermes bags? Sure... are there 7 I would like to own this season? No... Why did she do it: To show off that she could.

Just because one can, does not mean one should. And just because one chooses to not spend more than they feel is necessary they should not be criticized.

Edited by JayBird

But back to the point of the thread: Obviously anyone can live at any price point in Thailand. You can easily burn through 1M THB/mo if you wanted or get by with 7k/mo. The gauge really falls on where you feel comfortable and what you need in life to make you happy.

I think a good way to look at budget is a way some gamers might appreciate; Min-Max. What is the minimum amount I have to pay to get the maximum amount of enjoyment I need.

To take rent as a good example:

Yes, I could get a great place for 100k/mo..... I could also get a very nice place for 50k/mo. I could get a good place for 20k/mo. I could get a decent place for 10k/mo.

At which threshold do I reach my maximum amount of enjoyment such that extra would be frivolous and unnecessary. For example, I could get a good place with all mod-con and okey location for 10k/mo. But I really need a better location... that would cost me 20k/mo. Is that extra 10k/mo warranted?

Then I would go: Okey, I could get this place which ticks all the boxes for what I need at 20k/mo. But there's this other place for 50k/mo. What exactly extra do I get that warrants the extra 30k/mo, and do I really need it.

Sure, it's bigger -- do I need bigger? Is 50sqm enough or do I need 70sqm?

Sure, it's higher up -- do I need a higher floor? Great view for the first few days, but is it something I need to pay and care about for the next year?

Sure, could be a better/different location -- Do I really need to be there? Is this 20k place location good have all I need?

These sort of questions where you end up justifying the cost for everything is how you end up finding the sweet spot of what you need to pay for something. Obviously all this is unique to each individual. Some people can not stand the idea of living in a 30sqm 'shoebox' (especially people who grow up, say in the US, where large rooms are the norm). Others (such as me) could be more than happy in 30sqm 'shoebox' (especially since I'm outside most of the time).

Now I'd like to throw some numbers out there based on things I've seen and talked with other Thais about:

You can find a bare bones room for 2k/mo, bring your own furniture -- raw floor.

You can get a decent apartment for 5k/mo, bring your own furniture BUT floor and toilet included!

You can get a pretty good studio for 7k/mo, furnished.

It is common to share a studio or 1 bedroom with friend(s) to cut on rent. Some people would much rather find a studio for 10k/mo in a good building/location and share with a friend bringing cost down to 5k/mo.

Based on what I saw, one should consider '9k/mo' a 'base' for renting a studio (modern, western, fully furnished, safe, clean). It goes up from there based on location and size. And to some extent amenities and floor/view.

When shopping around you can use the 9k/mo for 30sqm as a guide line to help you decide on base cost on a sqm basis. So if you wanted something twice as big you would be looking at 18k/mo. If it was in a good location it goes up.

If you are single and on a budget, 9k/mo should do you well. If you value semi-convenient location you can up this to 12-15k/mo. More than that you are seriously paying for 'something' and hopefully that 'something' is well deserved (super location, super view, etc.)

On the other end of the spectrum I would have to say about 60k/mo should be the upper limit for a sizable 1 bedroom apartment. If you are paying more than 60k/mo, hopefully there is a very good reason (bigger than 1 bedroom). I get this number from the cost to rent a 60sqm hotel room in Pathumwan district, 5 min walk to Siam Square, high floor, awesome view, and all utilities + daily cleaning included.

The next big cost is usually food.

For food, you can eat at a 'normal' 'everyday' restaurant in the mall (such as MK, Fuji, tummour, etc.). A full meal (no alcohol) will run you at 500 THB. So you can price in 1.5k/day (or 45k/mo) and get fat eating out all the time smile.png

This goes up a lot if you want flown-in-steaks from japan or drink alcohol. (Sorry, I don't have figures for that as I do no drink and I don't really fancy paying 2k+ for a steak which I know won't be good).

On the lower end you could go with eating out for lunch (and not pig out) at about 300THB. Then supplement with a bowl of cereal and some milk for breakfast (about 50THB) and finally some dinner (Chicken (60THB), Broccoli (30THB), Rice (5THB), Pudding (25THB), Bottle Water / Coke (10THB): Total = 135THB) -- Bringing the total to about 485THB/day (let's call it 15k/mo)

Therefore based on these estimates I would suggest planning a budget of 15k/mo if you are not going out of your way to be thrifty, and up to 45k/mo if you eat a lot. (The sky's the limit if you want to go to fancy restaurants and drink alcohol, so I cant provide budgets there).

If you wish to be thrifty you can of course spend less than 15k/mo. I like the 15k/mo estimate as it means one can eat out everyday for one meal, but calculates breakfast and one other meal at home (which is not unusual).

Note: For those who do like their Starbucks, you are looking at about 150-250 THB for a coffee plus about 150THB for a slice of cake. If you do a Starbucks daily you could expect to spend 9k/mo on Starbucks.

On a second note: I've seen Starbucks run 2:1 promos every so often. The line up starts about 5 minutes before it begins, and it sometimes can take an hour to get your order if you arrive to the queue late. But it gets packed and its a great deal if you want that expensive custom drink. Lots of people go with friends or on their own and order 2 of the same for themselves, and hunker down with a laptop. (Talking Thais btw, I don't see that many Foreigners at the SBUXs I go to).

While i'm on the subject of this very long thread:

You can get cost saving cards from many places, that give you a discount. Worth considering:

1) MK Card. I think I got it for 130THB (promotion), and it gives me 10% off. Given how often I go there (I love their duck) it pays itself quickly.

2) M Card - Expatriate Edition. Its free but for Expats only (bring your passport). 5% off on all purchases that are not already on sale. This includes Home Fresh Food! At 1kTHB/week that would be 2600THB/year savings. Not shabby. Also works at Paragon and Emporium I believe.

3) Most restaurants of the shabu-shabu variety have discount cards too, worth looking into if you frequent them.

Some might say that's penny pinching. I'm saying: I'm shopping/eating there anyways, won't kill me to hand over a card and get a discount tongue.png

Anyone else know of other good ways to save on things they would do everyday regardless?

Edited by JayBird

Good post Jaybird. My view is that there is a drastic difference in what some people class as poor, decent, good as to what others do.

Also people put values on different things. Eg i work in the CBD, regular office hours, so i do not want to be commuting 90 mins each way to a 'decent' 9K studio somewhere. i would prefer to pay 40K month for somewhere i look forward to go back to, and the commute to work and back does not take up a large portion of my waking life.

If i was retired i would think differently. Where i could get up, come and go as i please i would not be bothered where i lived so much.

There are simply so many variables to this there is no right answer.

Re: How much (in Hawaii where I live. A Hawaiian had a brand new Tacoma, (Toyota) and I asked, and he said $42,000. Cash , which is crazy, but Asians like to ask, as stated, but I'm glad to know how $€£¥ much

Re: How much (in Hawaii where I live. A Hawaiian had a brand new Tacoma, (Toyota) and I asked, and he said $42,000. Cash , which is crazy, but Asians like to ask, as stated, but I'm glad to know how $€£¥ much

Can you translate that to English?

Just because you have a lot of money does not mean you need to spend it. Some people prefer to live frugal or efficiently or not over-pay or get ripped off just because they can afford to be.

Some people like the idea of being efficient with money (saves some for other more enjoyable or useful expenditures).

Some people just don't like getting ripped off (Why pay 100k/mo in rent when you can find something just as good for 30k/mo ? Why pay 30k/mo if all of your needs and happiness can easily be met by 10k/mo ?)

Reminds me of a Thai Actress who bought 7 Hermes bags. Could I go out and buy 7 Hermes bags? Sure... are there 7 I would like to own this season? No... Why did she do it: To show off that she could.

Just because one can, does not mean one should. And just because one chooses to not spend more than they feel is necessary they should not be criticized.

finding a rental in the same vicinity for 30k as good as one for 100k is a wet dream not consistent with reality.

one should also not criticise those who buy 7 Hermes bags because how another person spends his/her money is nobody else's business.

finding a rental in the same vicinity for 30k as good as one for 100k is a wet dream not consistent with reality.

one should also not criticise those who buy 7 Hermes bags because how another person spends his/her money is nobody else's business.

Technically she did not buy 7 Hermes bags because she can afford to and wanted them. She bought 7 so she could take selfies and show off to people that she's got money to burn. (Part of her persona). I do not criticize her spending money. I do look down upon someone who burns through money to show off tho :)

As for finding a rental for 30k in the area of where one is 100k. I can't speak for every area, but I've seen condos in Pathum Wan (a good expensive area) that go for 100k. And I've seen in that neighbourhood go for 60k. And some go for even less. (Depending on how big of a size you want). Talking about the same area.

Oh, it might be worth noting here: Sometimes prices advertised on English web sites are highly inflated, and if you can look at Thai-only web sites, or places that do not even advertise, you'll find some good deals.

Walking around neighbourhoods I've seen all sorts of interesting Condos and Apartments at very low prices that looked remarkably good for the price being advertised. The catch: If you don't read and speak Thai you would not even know about it. How did I find out? Thai GF translates for me :)

As for finding a rental for 30k in the area of where one is 100k. I can't speak for every area, but I've seen condos in Pathum Wan (a good expensive area) that go for 100k.

how does that justify

Why pay 100k/mo in rent when you can find something just as good for 30k/mo ?

Technically she did not buy 7 Hermes bags because she can afford to and wanted them. She bought 7 so she could take selfies and show off to people that she's got money to burn.

that too is technically none of your business coffee1.gif

As for finding a rental for 30k in the area of where one is 100k. I can't speak for every area, but I've seen condos in Pathum Wan (a good expensive area) that go for 100k.

how does that justify

Why pay 100k/mo in rent when you can find something just as good for 30k/mo ?

'As good' and 'in same area' are different concepts. Condo A could be 'As Good' as Condo B and in a totally different area (in this case, location or which of two locations may not be important).

For example, I could find a nice 1 bedroom condo for 100k/mo in Pathum Wan on a nice floor. But if I don't care about living in Pathum Wan, nor walking in Lumpini Park and am actually happier to live somewhere else in Bangkok I could find a nice condo of equivalent size and quality for 30k/mo.

There are many aspects to choosing where you live and what kind of condo you want and what you pay for. If your criteria does not mandate one specific location, why pay the premium for being there?

Likewise if location is a must for you, you could find an awesome place for 60k/mo instead of 100k/mo in the same area. So why pay the extra premium? And if 'awesome' is not important and just location, you could find a 30k/mo condo in Pathum Wan instead of paying 100k/mo. May not be in the same building or have the same level of amenities or neighbours, but otherwise it would be 'as good' as this place.

But, rather than get into a discussion on semantics on what 'as good' means, let's settle for the understanding that there are many options for many individuals. The person needs to choose what they want to prioritize *and* pay for.

In the above examples, it may be decreed that paying a 70k/mo premium to live in Pathum Wan rather than Chatuchak (or an 80k/mo premium compared to Bang Na) is not entirely justified.

Bangkok is a dirty, polluted, smelly, overcrowded, traffic-snarled, concrete-covered 3rd World hole. If you pay more than, say, 25k baht to live in such an unpleasant place, you seriously need your head examining. 10k baht is more like a reasonable price to live in such a cesspit. I posted a few months ago a report by an international pollution monitoring organization that showed that Bangkok's pollution is the worst in the world, with the exception of a few Indian and Chinese cities. You are paying with your health by living there. Even if there were no cars, places that regularly have temperatures exceeding 32 C are generally bad for your health. When considering to rent in Bangkok, you have to factor in the unpleasant and life-threatening environment and pay accordingly. Don't be sucker who thinks it's justifiable to fork out 50k baht a month for a high-rise apartment in Bangkok! It just isn't worth it.

I too live in Ramkhamhaeng and think it is great: it is clean, people have real jobs, friendly, not too crowded, incredible choice of street stalls (no, they don't make me sick. More likely at Western food place imo), quiet side street, plenty of trees, only saw one bar (more like coffee shop that may sell shot or two), not too crowded, cars will actually stop for you. I guess if you want to pay 20k a month that is fine, but my place is 6k, clean, modern and 43 sq m.

I doubt I could spend 4k a month on toiletries even if I wanted to, my personal view is protein and powders are quack, so those two items alone are 10k. Internet is 400/month with 3BB spinoff, and use HDMI to stream western stuff, football and Aus rules footy. Digital broadcast fine for the lady. Utilities maybe 1400 a month total.

So overall can live comfortably for 1/2 to 1/3 of your budget. I suppose if I were working I'd justify spending more as a perk, but I have two goals: be comfortable now and leave enough for my Thai partner when I die so she can have okay life financially.

I beg to differ. I pay more than 50k but I'm here for work and I need somewhere central and convenient. For me it's worth it. And judging by how full my building is many others do to.

OB

Yup, you are fully justifying your rent by the 'convenience' and 'needed location' argument. Given how bad traffic is (and the cost of transportation), paying an extra 20k+ to be close to work is well worth it in my opinion.

Bangkok is a dirty, polluted, smelly, overcrowded, traffic-snarled, concrete-covered 3rd World hole. If you pay more than, say, 25k baht to live in such an unpleasant place, you seriously need your head examining. 10k baht is more like a reasonable price to live in such a cesspit. I posted a few months ago a report by an international pollution monitoring organization that showed that Bangkok's pollution is the worst in the world, with the exception of a few Indian and Chinese cities. You are paying with your health by living there. Even if there were no cars, places that regularly have temperatures exceeding 32 C are generally bad for your health. When considering to rent in Bangkok, you have to factor in the unpleasant and life-threatening environment and pay accordingly. Don't be sucker who thinks it's justifiable to fork out 50k baht a month for a high-rise apartment in Bangkok! It just isn't worth it.

I like it here.

I like it here.

Me too. I visited over 20 counties before I decided on a place to retire.

I love it here!

But just about all of his posts are negative and bitter.

Sounds like someone who has no money and probably got gaffed by a few Thai ladies.

Edited by bkk6060

I like it here.

I love it here!

Sounds like someone who has no money and probably got gaffed by a few Thai ladies.

Nah, he's a deliberate wind-account. His posts are always terrible on purpose- it's meant to be a parody of clueless, ignorant bitter ex-pats. And it's kind of amusing at times although I wouldn't have the energy to keep it up.

I like it here.

I love it here!

Hahaha, very funny. I have loads of money, far more than I actually need. It's all invested in diversified places. I am 100% secure. No Thai ladies "gaffed" me. I don't find Asians attractive. I'm happily married (to a non-Asian), thank you very much, since you seem to be so interested in speculating about my private life. You sound like another jealous guy. I meet them everywhere I go.