True Internet Fibre Slowdown or just local?

ykatz0

Hi,

I am in Chiang Rai, have True Internet Fibre, has been fine until the last week or so. Now it is getting so so slow I cannot function, for comparision my DTAC sim

in my phone tethered is about 500% faster and I am not in the middle of town, about 7km out. I am trying to figure out if it is a local issue, recent, or if there has

been a general configuration (new cache stuff?) that has impacted all fibre (or only true internet) recently. Please, if you can muster it, refrain from muddying this post with emotional outbursts and stick to recent facts. I am just trying to get a perspective here, thanks!

Don't know if you have optical fiber or DOCSIS (cable) since True now frequently refers to both as fiber, but I'm on a True DOCSIS (cable) 15Mb down/1.5Mb up plan here in Bangkok...the speed has been fine....below are my speed test results using the TOT speedtester to check my local connection at 8pm/Friday night. I expect you have a local speed problem.

TOT Speedtester Site

http://speedtest1.totbb.net/

post-55970-0-28737900-1458910974_thumb.j

Don't know if you have optical fiber or DOCSIS (cable) since True now frequently refers to both as fiber, but I'm on a True DOCSIS (cable) 15Mb down/1.5Mb up plan here in Bangkok...the speed has been fine....below are my speed test results using the TOT speedtester to check my local connection at 8pm/Friday night. I expect you have a local speed problem.

TOT Speedtester Site

http://speedtest1.totbb.net/

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Great, thanks, you confirmed half, how about your tests outside Thailand? UK, US? I am thinking our local area has an issue, thanks!

For international testing it depends on the site your are testing to and whether you are using a flash/OOKLA based tester (like Speedtest.net) that can be easily fooled in testing to international websites in comparison to a java-based tester that is usually not fooled. All too often flash/OOKLA based testers can give faster-than-light speedtest/skewed (too good) results when testing to "international" websites due to local cache servers, but they are fine for testing your local connection.

Your speed to international websites will usually be much lower than your local speed connection since the Thai ISP's international gateway server does have/buy enough international bandwidth.

Below are a couple of example of speedtesters I just run. First I used the flash/OOKLA-based speedtester of Speedtest.net too London and San Francisco and then a java-based speedteser called testmy.net that does a much more thorough job of testing your connection for various file sizes and is also a better test for streaming video connections which need "steady, consistent" data flow to work properly. You will notice Speedtest.net gives me good results; testmy.net says my download speed/connection is slow. Anyway, set below for results

Speedtester.net Results to London and SF

post-55970-0-77491900-1458912796_thumb.j

Testmy.net Results to SF

post-55970-0-67255800-1458912851_thumb.j

Thanks, I use very low bandwidth, usually just a txt (SSH) connection to a remote server, which is generally fine, except the last week or so, cuts

out very very often which means either they reconfigured the caching to include port 22 stuff (very bad because it would all be dynamic) or the connections

they are getting are problematic (I actually hope this is the case and will force the to fix it).

A few things about fiber networks. First have you tried pinging the TRUE server? If you do this may be very fast, if not there is a problem with your line. Could be a dirty connector but probably wont be much. If that test is ok then try connecting to Microsoft or Google these have very high contention ratios so you should get a fast connection. I say should as a connection is routed through a number of switches and any one that is slow will slow thee overall connection down. You wont know which one is it but the basic principle is the network is only as fast and the slowest link

True are carrying out improvements to their service, or so they say.

I received a text 3 days ago apologising and saying my service would be disrupted that day due to improvement work.

Since then my speed has dropped and I'm having trouble connecting to websites (TV included).

I often just get a blank page even though the address is in the bar, or it times out trying to connect.

I'm just about to call them!

I am in the boonies and have been using an air card for a couple of years. It was never super fast but it was acceptable. About two months ago it started getting slower. It got slower every week. I called True several times and was told my air card was no good. I asked why using my phone for a modem was slow also. I did buy another air card just in case and it was no better. It is a post paid account and they refused to cancel the service. My wife went to the local True office and got jacked around again. She ended up having to go 50 kilometers to a bigger office and finally was able to cancel the account. Fortunately AIS now has coverage in this area and so far I have had no problems. Fortunately the True air cards work with my AIS SIM card.

my True internet is acting up like garbage too, it happened on Monday total downtime (in Cha-am), came back at 10:00.. was working relatively fine but today around 7pm it went to crap again

here are two test results from speedtest, one from Phetchaburi to Bangkok (the high one)

and the other one somewhere in India (doesn't matter where outside thailand, all same results).

41aa72d73a3960e8f844e52a43e4168c.jpg

64b17e37127eda7a5e267fd1c8741404.jpg

i'm on 30/3. the first test is somehow tricked. it never even went over 30.

but as you can see, 0.40 Mbps in this case would be about 1.3% of what it should be.

my True internet is acting up like garbage too, it happened on Monday total downtime (in Cha-am), came back at 10:00.. was working relatively fine but today around 7pm it went to crap again

here are two test results from speedtest, one from Phetchaburi to Bangkok (the high one)

and the other one somewhere in India (doesn't matter where outside thailand, all same results).

41aa72d73a3960e8f844e52a43e4168c.jpg

64b17e37127eda7a5e267fd1c8741404.jpg

i'm on 30/3. the first test is somehow tricked. it never even went over 30.

but as you can see, 0.40 Mbps in this case would be about 1.3% of what it should be.

I expect the first result from Phetchburi to Bangkok is correct and "bursting" is used on True fiber (fiber optics and DOCSIS/cable). Bursting basically allows and increase of download speed for a short period....great for browing, downloading emails, etc. This short period is usually longer than it takes to complete most speedtests which only take about 10 to 15 seconds to complete the download portion. Bursting does not occur on upload speed; only on download speed. Bursting also does not help for live video streaming.

My True 15Mb/1.5Mb DOCSIS plan routinely pulls local download speed results of around 22Mb...a year ago it routinely pulled 28Mb. I live in Bangkok. Now when it comes to testing to an international sites bursting don't help a lot since it has to go through the ISP's international gateway servers which choke down international download speed....ISPs just don't buy enough international bandwidth for most retail internet plans.

anyone else's True down? Their call center is infuriating, impossible to talk to a real person mad.gif

it's not down fully at the moment but operating at about 10% of speed it should be

It seems that almost every evening around 7pm here in Cha-am the internet goes to trash, it wasn't on this morning when I woke up and now is running at 12.5% of the speed it usually runs.

every single day around 7pm,. and yes every time I try to call I get "we are doing some upgrades the internet should be up at x:xx" and then the next day, same thing and the times change.

I used the callback option on the phone last week on Monday. it said I would receive a call in the next two hours and someone called me on Friday and didn't even know why I had left a callback

Today and last night intolerable, here in Chiang Rai, and don't say that if it connects to the local server at 30mbits that it is fine, Internet is global by nature, so if you cannot browse a USA, UK or Russian site then it is non-functional. At this time I am tethered off my DTAC phone which is usually slow and cutting out compared to the Fiber connection but now is 800% better.

Today and last night intolerable, here in Chiang Rai, and don't say that if it connects to the local server at 30mbits that it is fine, Internet is global by nature, so if you cannot browse a USA, UK or Russian site then it is non-functional. At this time I am tethered off my DTAC phone which is usually slow and cutting out compared to the Fiber connection but now is 800% better.

fully agree, global or it's a bust.

I can connect and download Steam games from the Thailand server at full speed 30 Mbps right now (just tested 10 secondsa ago) but anything outside Thailand is unusable and runs at about 3 Mb/s at most.. if it even connects.

I am doing the same thing, I now HAVE to pay for an additional ±6gb DTAC mobile internet package in case I need the internet.. sad

It has been up and down all day.

Right now my torrents are uploading fine, but 0 download.

I can open some websites such as Facebook and Gmail without any problem, but others such Google, Thai Visa just won't open.

ok, this is me, posting from my DTAC tethered phone again, as it is just unuseable otherwise. I am going to open another thread to see if there

are any good alternatives to True Internet Fiber. My DSL was much much better! I just cannot believe you guys are this patient! ;)

Customer services yesterday admitted to me these 'improvements' are ongoing in many areas and when completed it should provide a faster and more stable system. However they cannot advise when normal services will be restored. They apologised for the inconvenience.

Customer services yesterday admitted to me these 'improvements' are ongoing in many areas and when completed it should provide a faster and more stable system. However they cannot advise when normal services will be restored. They apologised for the inconvenience.

I'm always getting SMSs like that from True....and many times the area referenced in the SMS is no where close to me....like on the other side of Bangkok. And when I get these SMSs there is no problem with my internet. I don't think True does a good job in being specific in areas affected by their so called "improvements." Plus, I think their improvements are really just normal maintenance or fixing a problem....nothing to do with actually improving things....more like just fixing something that's broke....or it just a BS excuse they give customers when calling in a problem....sounds better to say the are doing improvements than admitting they have a problem. After the problem is called in "then" they start looking at what is causing your specific problem.

anyone else's True down? Their call center is infuriating, impossible to talk to a real person mad.gif

I beg to differ. Their call centre (02 900 9000) is absolutely superb in my experience. They give great service and have politely informed me three times this week, after I called three times, that the server for my area (ekkamai) is causing problems and they are working to fix it but it's taking a long time. I have now had poor internet connections and especially bad wifi because of this.

FYI! I bought a VPN server service, 5 years for $25usd and I think it has fixed my True Internet issues, which means what I was experiencing (frequent cutouts and site unavailability, same as other users complaints) was probably 100% due to their fiddling with caching, nice to know, but doesn't really give a better impression of their infrastructure practices!

The one I purchased was an offer through boingboing.net and is from zenvpn.net. The offer is here: https://store.boingboing.net/sales/zenvpn-5-yr-subscription?utm_source=boingboing.net&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zenvpn-5-yr-subscription

Archived