Police Verification for Retirement Visa

Just for your information:

Last Monday ( March 21st ) I renewed my 1 year retirement extension with a multiple entry stamp included .

I did this at the Changwatana immigration complex.

The immigration document gleaned off of the official Thai immigration authority website included the requirement of a police verification...as stated on the document.

However...I did not get one or have one and nothing at all was said or pointed out about that particular aspect of applying for a 1 year retirement extension.

Furthermore for the last 4 years ( 5 times now) I have never had to submit that document.

So...you could wing it and go there with the other required documents and I believe the friendly female officers at Changwattana will not even blink an eye and just process you straight on through.

Up to you though

Cheers

Police checks are not required for extensions of stay,

Can you provide a link to the website page that says such checks are required ?

Furthermore I did not have to prove I had 800,000 baht in a Bangkok bank account or a overseas bank account...but I did obtain an affidavit from my embassy stating that this person ( myself ) has financial resource enough to be granted another retirement extension.

There are several stated requirements ..but..... when I go to Changwatana the immigration ladies do not scrutinize anything at all...rather just stamp everything and file everything, as need be, and we all have a nice friendly chat about their work and their careers and how long they have worked at immigration and do you remember the old immigration office on Soi Suan Plue ...and show them photos of my child ( they love children's photos ) and yakkity yak.

How you would be handled at another office....well I do not know exactly ...but at Changwattana ...... Smooth As Silk and all done in less than 4 hours.

Cheers

There are three options associated with meeting the financial requirements for an extension of stay based on retirement, money in an overseas bank is NOT one of those options.

You forgot to provide a link to the source of your "information".

When I did this 5 years ago, it was generally accepted that getting a retirement visa from the Embassy in D.C. was a crap shoot, even if you met all of the criteria. The advice from a number of fronts was to come to Thailand on a 3-month visa (I did a business visa), and then apply for the retirement visa when you are here. You still need the police report. Make sure that you understand if you need one from more than one place if you moved recently. I decided to spend the money and have Siam Legal do it. After you get the visa, you can do the extensions and reporting yourself.

Other than that, you just need money, either about $23,000 you deposit in a Thai bank, or documented income of about $2,300 a month. The latter is the easiest as you just fill out a form and get it notarized at the American embassy.

A police report is not required for a retirement extension of stay in Thailand. Never has been. What is required is a TM.7, copies of passport/non immigrant visa/entry/departure card. be over age 50 and have required financial proof and pay 1,900 baht. If you supplied a police report to a third party and paid them it was your path - it is not an immigration requirement.

That is the case.

However on numerous websites they state that you are required to present a police verification.

I am assuming that is if and when you apply through an embassy or consulate for the first time...so it seems confusing a little bit.

When renewing a 1 year extension then I have never had to comply with various aspects of what is stated and said to be required.

It seems the ladies at Changwattana are simply going through the motions and filing your documents and stacking the paper work while I jokingly point out that computers were supposed make their jobs much easier ...but they laugh and point out all the loads of paper work that surrounds them and takes up 80 percent of their desk top space.

Never has any of them being surly and moody and always cheerful and friendly...especially after I show them the photos of my child and they all gather around commenting about the child.

For those doing the retirement visa , note that if you want a multiple entry stamp attached to the extension then they send you over to another sector and you are required to photo copy your signed and approved extension stamp now seen in your passport and other pages of your passport and your TM card and then get another cue number and present your passport again and pay the price for the multiple entry stamp and then wait and your passport to come back with the multiple enter stamp singed and existing beside or below the retirement extension.

Cheers

Police reports and medicals have never been a requirement when applying for extensions of stay based on retirement for at least the last 12 years anyway.

I vaguely remember them being needed in the distant past.

Edited by Eclipse

For those doing the retirement visa , note that if you want a multiple entry stamp attached to the extension then they send you over to another sector and you are required to photo copy your signed and approved extension stamp now seen in your passport and other pages of your passport and your TM card and then get another cue number and present your passport again and pay the price for the multiple entry stamp and then wait and your passport to come back with the multiple enter stamp singed and existing beside or below the retirement extension.

Cheers

There is no such thing as a Retirement Visa.

Also you are talking about a Multi Re Entry Permit.

I think herein lies the confusion -- there is no such thing as an official "retirement visa" issued by Thailand. There is a Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” (long stay) visa that allows you to stay in Thailand for one year. But many people come to Thailand on a tourist visa and then convert that to an extension of stay of 12 months "based on retirement" which also allows you to stay in Thailand for one year. One you get in your home country and need the police report and the other you get in Thailand and do not need a police report. Both allow you to stay in Thailand for one year before you need to renew it.

The confusion over semantics occurs when people call the Non-Immigrant Visa O-A (long stay) a "retirement visa" when there is no such thing officially designated as a retirement visa with the "extension of stay of 12 months based on retirement."

If this is wrong please explain why and help clear up the confusion.

I think herein lies the confusion -- there is no such thing as an official "retirement visa" issued by Thailand. There is a Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” (long stay) visa that allows you to stay in Thailand for one year. But many people come to Thailand on a tourist visa and then convert that to an extension of stay of 12 months "based on retirement" which also allows you to stay in Thailand for one year. One you get in your home country and need the police report and the other you get in Thailand and do not need a police report. Both allow you to stay in Thailand for one year before you need to renew it.

The confusion over semantics occurs when people call the Non-Immigrant Visa O-A (long stay) a "retirement visa" when there is no such thing officially designated as a retirement visa with the "extension of stay of 12 months based on retirement."

You can actually use the Non-Immigrant O-A visa to stay in the country for up to two years.

• Like 1

You can actually use the Non-Immigrant O-A visa to stay in the country for up to two years.

It says one year on the Thai Embassy Washington, D.C. website:

Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” (long stay)

Purpose of Visit: This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 1 year without the intention of working. Holder of this type of visa is allowed to stay in Thailand for 1 year. Employment of any kind is strictly prohibited.

http://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-category-o/

It says one year on the Thai Embassy Washington, D.C. website:

Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” (long stay)

Purpose of Visit: This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 1 year without the intention of working. Holder of this type of visa is allowed to stay in Thailand for 1 year. Employment of any kind is strictly prohibited.

http://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-category-o/

Yes the visa is valid for one year BUT if an entry to Thailand is made immediately prior to the visa expiring a one year permission to stay will be given.

Used with intelligence an O/A visa CAN proved for (almost) a two year stay !

• Like 1

Yes the visa is valid for one year BUT if an entry to Thailand is made immediately prior to the visa expiring a one year permission to stay will be given.

Used with intelligence an O/A visa CAN proved for (almost) a two year stay !

Like this, the only one I have with stamps all on one page:

post-10942-0-96299600-1459054142_thumb.p

Police reports and medicals have never been a requirement when applying for extensions of stay based on retirement for at least the last 12 years anyway.

Is in Sweden.

Police report to be submitted for OA.

Is in Sweden.

Police report to be submitted for OA.

He is talking about an extension of stay, obtained in Thailand, not the non imm o-a visa obtained via a Thai Embassy or consulate in your home country.

• Like 1

Last Monday ( March 21st ) I renewed my 1 year retirement extension with a multiple entry stamp included .

The immigration document gleaned off of the official Thai immigration authority website included the requirement of a police verification...as stated on the document.

However...I did not get one or have one and nothing at all was said or pointed out about that particular aspect of applying for a 1 year retirement extension.

Furthermore for the last 4 years ( 5 times now) I have never had to submit that document.

So...you could wing it and go there with the other required documents and I believe the friendly female officers at Changwattana will not even blink an eye and just process you straight on through.

Up to you though

Cheers

Furthermore I did not have to prove I had 800,000 baht in a Bangkok bank account or a overseas bank account...but I did obtain an affidavit from my embassy stating that this person ( myself ) has financial resource enough to be granted another retirement extension.

There are several stated requirements ..but..... when I go to Changwatana the immigration ladies do not scrutinize anything at all...rather just stamp everything and file everything, as need be, and we all have a nice friendly chat about their work and their careers and how long they have worked at immigration and do you remember the old immigration office on Soi Suan Plue ...and show them photos of my child ( they love children's photos ) and yakkity yak.

How you would be handled at another office....well I do not know exactly ...but at Changwattana ...... Smooth As Silk and all done in less than 4 hours.

Cheers

There are three options associated with meeting the financial requirements for an extension of stay based on retirement, money in an overseas bank is NOT one of those options.

My wife downloaded the document from a Thai Government website under: Thai Visa Application form and copied the instruction / requirement documents and a Visa application form ( which I soon realized was not an extension form ) and gave it to me while the information clearly states that a police verification is required.

However, I now understand that it is a Embassy or Consulate linked document, so I surmise the stated requirements are relevant for a first time application submitted to the Thai Embassy or Thai Consulate while they state that the application requires police verification.

Meantime it is not important to show you the link as I assume you would argue what it says anyhow...so please yourself...lol....while I am not here to please you...lol

Meantime I am telling you about my recent experience ( last Monday, March 21 2016 ) with the Changwattana "Female" immigration officers for the second time now ( last year also ) and the same female officers as last year who I am inclined to believe would not have asked for all the documentation that is officially asked for concerning a retirement extension and what I did provide them as stated as being required..as the women themselves do not care...they just shuffle paperwork and sign their names where required.

Next ...next person please.

While there I obtained several copies of the extension form so next year I can breeze through faster...maybe only 2 hours.

Cheers

Up to you though

Cheers

Cheers

My wife downloaded the document from a Thai Government website under: Thai Visa Application form and copied the instruction / requirement documents and a Visa application form ( which I soon realized was not an extension form ) and gave it to me while the information clearly states that a police verification is required.

However, I now understand that it is a Embassy or Consulate linked document, so I surmise the stated requirements are relevant for a first time application submitted to the Thai Embassy or Thai Consulate while they state that the application requires police verification.

Meantime it is not important to show you the link as I assume you would argue what it says anyhow...so please yourself...lol....while I am not here to please you...lol

Meantime I am telling you about my recent experience ( last Monday, March 21 2016 ) with the Changwattana "Female" immigration officers for the second time now ( last year also ) and the same female officers as last year who I am inclined to believe would not have asked for all the documentation that is officially asked for concerning a retirement extension and what I did provide them as stated as being required..as the women themselves do not care...they just shuffle paperwork and sign their names where required.

Next ...next person please.

While there I obtained several copies of the extension form so next year I can breeze through faster...maybe only 2 hours.

Cheers

One uses a Thai Embassy or Consulate to apply for a Thai visa while in his/her home country.

Any requirements for obtaining a visa via a Thai Embassy or Consulate are separate, different, distinct and non applicable to the process of obtaining an extension of stay which is done from within Thailand at the applicable immigration office.

Edited by SpokaneAl

When I did this 5 years ago, it was generally accepted that getting a retirement visa from the Embassy in D.C. was a crap shoot, even if you met all of the criteria. The advice from a number of fronts was to come to Thailand on a 3-month visa (I did a business visa), and then apply for the retirement visa when you are here. You still need the police report. Make sure that you understand if you need one from more than one place if you moved recently. I decided to spend the money and have Siam Legal do it. After you get the visa, you can do the extensions and reporting yourself.

Other than that, you just need money, either about $23,000 you deposit in a Thai bank, or documented income of about $2,300 a month. The latter is the easiest as you just fill out a form and get it notarized at the American embassy.

A police report is not required for a retirement extension of stay in Thailand. Never has been. What is required is a TM.7, copies of passport/non immigrant visa/entry/departure card. be over age 50 and have required financial proof and pay 1,900 baht. If you supplied a police report to a third party and paid them it was your path - it is not an immigration requirement.

That is the case.

However on numerous websites they state that you are required to present a police verification.

I am assuming that is if and when you apply through an embassy or consulate for the first time...so it seems confusing a little bit.

When renewing a 1 year extension then I have never had to comply with various aspects of what is stated and said to be required.

It seems the ladies at Changwattana are simply going through the motions and filing your documents and stacking the paper work while I jokingly point out that computers were supposed make their jobs much easier ...but they laugh and point out all the loads of paper work that surrounds them and takes up 80 percent of their desk top space.

Never has any of them being surly and moody and always cheerful and friendly...especially after I show them the photos of my child and they all gather around commenting about the child.

Cheers

Yes, no police report for extension of stay, but the question was about the visa itself that was being obtained in the U.S.

Well, that's not really an answer... but the answer was on the page at the link... so thanks

"Letter of verification stating that the applicant has no criminal record... must be issued from a state or Federal Bureau of Investigation only.

Be sure that the records check is from the state that issued you your driver license. The Washington DC Thai consular office can be a stickler for details.

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk

I lived in NJ when I applied for my Non-Immigrant O-A visa at the consulate in NYC. I had to provide a document from the state which attested to my not having a criminal background. I went to a business that was recommended by the NJ State Police, paid $40 and supplied my fingerprints and a couple weeks later got a letter on some kind of official letterhead saying I had no criminal history. I submitted that along with the other required paperwork to the consulate and in a week or so got the visa. Perhaps each state is different regarding how you apply and get the background check but in NJ they have a process and that was what I had to do.

That is the same process that I had to do in Maryland. My retirement O/A visa was processed in the Washington DC consulate.

Is this a new requirement? I got my Retirement Visa two years ago and there was never any mention of a police report from Australia being a required document in the process.

It may not apply to an Australian, but it's required for US citizens applying for an O/A long stay visa.

Is this a new requirement? I got my Retirement Visa two years ago and there was never any mention of a police report from Australia being a required document in the process.

It may not apply to an Australian, but it's required for US citizens applying for an O/A long stay visa.

From the Australian Thai Embassy website

"RETIREMENT/LONG-STAY VISA (Maximum stay 1 year and employment is prohibited)
Purpose of Visit: This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 1 year without the intention of working. Financial statement and police check are required. (Category “O-A”)"
  • Like 1

Must be only for Americans. I did not have to anything like that, I'm European and it was about 15 years ago I first applied

I've had 2 Non Imm O 90 day visas in the last 4 years, had had extensions.

The first obtained in Thailand, Chiang Mai + 1 extension

The second from Thai Embassy Madrid plus 3 extensions

I am a British citizen but registered as resident in Spain.

At no time was I asked for a police clearance certificate.

Are Americans a dodgy lot LOL?

Seriously, why the difference?

Don't know..... but Canadians also need a police clearance. But then... some people consider Canada to be merely the 51st state... and Canadians to be "American Lite".

It's possible that the agreement is through both the US and the Thai governments. Neither side wishes to go through the process of extradition of a criminal if it can be avoided. It costs neither government a dime to make the applicant jump through this hoop. Those US citizens that have lived in Thailand for years on tourist visas are now looking over their shoulders for Thai Immigration officers conducting sweeps.

Must be only for Americans. I did not have to anything like that, I'm European and it was about 15 years ago I first applied

I've had 2 Non Imm O 90 day visas in the last 4 years, had had extensions.

The first obtained in Thailand, Chiang Mai + 1 extension

The second from Thai Embassy Madrid plus 3 extensions

I am a British citizen but registered as resident in Spain.

At no time was I asked for a police clearance certificate.

Are Americans a dodgy lot LOL?

Seriously, why the difference?

Don't know..... but Canadians also need a police clearance. But then... some people consider Canada to be merely the 51st state... and Canadians to be "American Lite".

It's possible that the agreement is through both the US and the Thai governments. Neither side wishes to go through the process of extradition of a criminal if it can be avoided. It costs neither government a dime to make the applicant jump through this hoop. Those US citizens that have lived in Thailand for years on tourist visas are now looking over their shoulders for Thai Immigration officers conducting sweeps.

What is being discussed in those quotes are "O" visas NOT "O/A" visas

Police checks are not required for an "O" visa.

• Like 1

US citizens do NOT require a police clearance if you apply in Thailand. If you apply at a Thai consulate in the US, you will need a police clearance and a medical clearance. Argue if you like, but I know because I personally went through it.

US citizens do NOT require a police clearance if you apply in Thailand. If you apply at a Thai consulate in the US, you will need a police clearance and a medical clearance. Argue if you like, but I know because I personally went through it.

Apply for what in Thailand ?

If someone wants an O/A visa it cannot be obtained in Thailand ........

• Like 1

No argument from me. Once you leave the USA, there is no option left but to extradite.

No argument from me. Once you leave the USA, there is no option left but to extradite.

Extradite ?

Did you mean to use that word?

Are there many fugitive Americans hiding in Thailand ?

• Like 1

Extradite ?

Yes, I meant to use that word, and, I do not know if there are that many.

Extradite ?

Yes, I meant to use that word, and, I do not know if there are that many.

It is getting a bit tough to follow this discussion.

• Like 1