Police Verification for Retirement Visa

I lived in NJ when I applied for my Non-Immigrant O-A visa at the consulate in NYC. I had to provide a document from the state which attested to my not having a criminal background. I went to a business that was recommended by the NJ State Police, paid $40 and supplied my fingerprints and a couple weeks later got a letter on some kind of official letterhead saying I had no criminal history. I submitted that along with the other required paperwork to the consulate and in a week or so got the visa. Perhaps each state is different regarding how you apply and get the background check but in NJ they have a process and that was what I had to do.

• Like 1

I lived in Virginia and got my " criminal records " check done at my local sheriff's department which was just a letter on official letterhead that simply stated "no criminal information in our files". I moved to PA and for $10 the State Police will do it online and you can print an official looking certificate that will make any Thai bureaucrat happy.

All have to do is ask your local police or sheriff's department for a local criminal records check, which is sufficient for DC and NY. LA and Chicago require the same thing, they just want it notarized

• Like 1

I'm an American and got my retirement visa one year ago. I had previously visited Thailand on 59-day tourist visas. I applied for the non-o immigrant visa and then transferred that to a "retirement" visa and I was never asked for a police report. The main document they wanted to see was the "income verification" statement that I obtained from the US Embassy in Bangkok. Of course I also had the medical certificate and proof of Thai residency but they mainly just seemed interested in the income verification form. The whole process I did on my own and it wasn't that difficult. I live in Pattaya so it took two trips to Immigration in Bangkok and two trips to the Jomtien Immigration office but it wasn't too painful. I recommend you save the money (instead of paying someone to do it for you) and do it yourself. All you need to do is follow the steps and fill in some forms.

Looks like you had a 12 Month Extension of stay. Not a retirement visa.

Police report and medical report are not required.

I'm pretty sure it's a "retirement visa." I just renewed it last month. I have two stamps in my passport from the renewal process. One says RETIREMENT and lists the date I applied and also gives the date that I'm allowed to stay till (one year form now), the other stamp is the multiple entry permit (which I applied for one day after receiving the retirement stamp) that is titled NON-IMM and gives the visa number that you use on the arrival form when entering the country.

You can call it what you want but it gives me the right to stay in Thailand for one year and then to apply for renewal after a year. Unless I am mistaken that is probably what most people consider a retirement visa.

You have a 12 Month Extension based on Retirement.

2 different things with different requirements and different entitlements.

Can someone explain the difference between "a 12-month extension based on retirement" and "a retirement visa?" I think there is a lot of confusion between the two and it would enlighten many people to know the difference.

The Police verification is only for the O-A visa available (in USA) only at the Embassy in Washington DC and the 3 Consulates. It is not required for extension of stay received at Immigration offices in Thailand.

While some say they submitted a notarized document from a local law enforcement official. this is what it says on the Thai embassy Washington DC website:

Letter of verification stating that the applicant has no criminal record (verification have to valid for not more than three months and must be issued from a state or Federal Bureau of Investigation only. Online criminal record without authorizer’s signature is unacceptable )

• Like 1

A letter from your local police that you do not have any criminal records should be fine. Anyway the police network is connected so even if you have committed any crime in any other state it will be known.

You may be able to get the retirement visa in USA only by contacting the Thai Embassy.

It says rather explicitly on the Thai Embassy Washington DC website that they want the criminal report from a state agency or the FBI. What should be fine is up to you. However given the expense, time, and effort required to get this visa, I would not be much interested in what SHOULD be OK.

• Like 1

Just another one of the confusing things about the Retirement extension. I was (wisely) advised to come in on a tourist visa and convert to a Non-Immigrant O. I applied at Jomtien and when I extended my tourist visa a second time, I went to Immigration with about two weeks left on my visa. I was informed that I would have to go to Laos or Cambodia and re-enter the country in order to get an O-visa. I flew to Udon Thani, caught the mini-bus to Nong Khai and got a visa for Laos at the immigration office at the border. A handler took me to the Thai consulate and showed me every step I needed to go through to get my O-visa. I left my passport at the consulate and picked it up the next day with the O-visa stamped into it. The officer at the consulate did want to see all the documents related to income. I showed him proof of my 2450 USD monthly income which is divided between Bangkok Bank and a credit union back in the states. No "seasoning" was mentioned, though this varies with the Immigration Office. I returned to Jomtien Immigration three months later and got my extension for a year. None of the local expats could understand why I was required to leave the country. The answer seems to be that they change the requirements arbitrarily based on their own personal convenience. One expat discovered that you need at least 21 days left on your tourist visa in order to convert, two weeks won't cut it. Another long-time retiree who had been shuttling back and forth between Japan and Thailand had the same experience. Lesson learned: it's much easier to get the "Retirement Visa" AFTER you come to Thailand because the police check and medical report are not required (at least at Jomtien). A very confusing process made even more confusing by the plethora of "experts" who all told slightly different stories. Turns out they were ALL right. The variance is with individual Immigration offices. Supposedly, they are working on standardizing the process for all offices but I will believe this when I see it. Applying in the USA is a huge hassle and not recommended. The visa stamped into my passport says "O" not "OA" and the stamp clearly says "retirement". Apparently "seasoning" is required even on the monthly method if you apply in Phuket. The "Roll Your Own" attitude of the various Immigration offices is maddening and needs to be uniform.

Edited by Jools

So the two most popular visas that give you one year stamp upon entry are:

1. Non O-A (home country), with police check to make sure you're not a criminal. Obviously you have to be lucky to be born in a few selected home countries to get it.

2. Elite (home country or Suvarnabhumi on arrival - the only visa I am aware of that can be issued within Thailand), no police check required, all nationalities, available at a higher cost.

And perhaps non B-A, don't have too much info on that.

Anybody care to comment?

Edited by lkv

Fine -- but for the O-A visa the Thai Embassy does not ask for a police report from your local city or town police.

Depends upon the point of application. As I stated earlier in this thread, the LA Consulate accepts a local city police report and a police report is required. (From experience.)

Edited by TheAppletons

Just another one of the confusing things about the Retirement extension. I was (wisely) advised to come in on a tourist visa and convert to a Non-Immigrant O. I applied at Jomtien and when I extended my tourist visa a second time, I went to Immigration with about two weeks left on my visa. I was informed that I would have to go to Laos or Cambodia and re-enter the country in order to get an O-visa. I flew to Udon Thani, caught the mini-bus to Nong Khai and got a visa for Laos at the immigration office at the border. A handler took me to the Thai consulate and showed me every step I needed to go through to get my O-visa. I left my passport at the consulate and picked it up the next day with the O-visa stamped into it. The officer at the consulate did want to see all the documents related to income. I showed him proof of my 2450 USD monthly income which is divided between Bangkok Bank and a credit union back in the states. No "seasoning" was mentioned, though this varies with the Immigration Office. I returned to Jomtien Immigration three months later and got my extension for a year. None of the local expats could understand why I was required to leave the country. The answer seems to be that they change the requirements arbitrarily based on their own personal convenience. One expat discovered that you need at least 21 days left on your tourist visa in order to convert, two weeks won't cut it. Another long-time retiree who had been shuttling back and forth between Japan and Thailand had the same experience. Lesson learned: it's much easier to get the "Retirement Visa" AFTER you come to Thailand because the police check and medical report are not required (at least at Jomtien). A very confusing process made even more confusing by the plethora of "experts" who all told slightly different stories. Turns out they were ALL right. The variance is with individual Immigration offices. Supposedly, they are working on standardizing the process for all offices but I will believe this when I see it. Applying in the USA is a huge hassle and not recommended. The visa stamped into my passport says "O" not "OA" and the stamp clearly says "retirement". Apparently "seasoning" is required even on the monthly method if you apply in Phuket. The "Roll Your Own" attitude of the various Immigration offices is maddening and needs to be uniform.

Pleasetell me how one seasons monthly income, I have been getting extensions for 6 years and use the monthly income method and have never seasoned it. The 800,000 has to be seasoned for 2 months the first time and 3 months after that also some offices are requireing the cash in the bank for the combomethod, cash in the bankand income to come up with 800,000 baht, tobe seasoned.

Just for your information:

Last Monday ( March 21st ) I renewed my 1 year retirement extension with a multiple entry stamp included .

I did this at the Changwatana immigration complex.

The immigration document gleaned off of the official Thai immigration authority website included the requirement of a police verification...as stated on the document.

However...I did not get one or have one and nothing at all was said or pointed out about that particular aspect of applying for a 1 year retirement extension.

Furthermore for the last 4 years ( 5 times now) I have never had to submit that document.

So...you could wing it and go there with the other required documents and I believe the friendly female officers at Changwattana will not even blink an eye and just process you straight on through.

Up to you though

Cheers

Last Monday ( March 21st ) I renewed my 1 year retirement extension with a multiple entry stamp included .

The immigration document gleaned off of the official Thai immigration authority website included the requirement of a police verification...as stated on the document.

However...I did not get one or have one and nothing at all was said or pointed out about that particular aspect of applying for a 1 year retirement extension.

Furthermore for the last 4 years ( 5 times now) I have never had to submit that document.

So...you could wing it and go there with the other required documents and I believe the friendly female officers at Changwattana will not even blink an eye and just process you straight on through.

Up to you though

Cheers

Police checks are not required for extensions of stay,

Can you provide a link to the website page that says such checks are required ?

• Like 1

Must be only for Americans. I did not have to anything like that, I'm European and it was about 15 years ago I first applied

I've had 2 Non Imm O 90 day visas in the last 4 years, had had extensions.

The first obtained in Thailand, Chiang Mai + 1 extension

The second from Thai Embassy Madrid plus 3 extensions

I am a British citizen but registered as resident in Spain.

At no time was I asked for a police clearance certificate.

Are Americans a dodgy lot LOL?

Seriously, why the difference?

Don't know..... but Canadians also need a police clearance. But then... some people consider Canada to be merely the 51st state... and Canadians to be "American Lite".

It's happening. People who have gotten extensions of stay are confused about why no criminal record report was required for their "Retirement Visa." People who insist on calling their extensions of stay "Retirement Visas" are wreaking havoc and needlessly upsetting people. You can not "just call it whatever you want." O visas, OA visas and extensions of stay are distinct and different and have different conditions of qualification. Let's not confuse and upset others needlessly!

• Like 2

Fine -- but for the O-A visa the Thai Embassy does not ask for a police report from your local city or town police.

Depends upon the point of application. As I stated earlier in this thread, the LA Consulate accepts a local city police report and a police report is required. (From experience.)

Sure -- that is your experience. But it says on the Thai Consulate - Los Angeles website:

*6. Four copies of police verification stating the applicant has no criminal record issued by the authority concerned of his/her nationality or residence.

and the person that happily accepted your local city police report last time next time may not be there and the new person wants to know where is your official State of California report and will not accept a local police report as you are a 'resident' of the State of California not your local city.

BTW State of California maintains an online criminal report service:

https://oag.ca.gov/fingerprints/security

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

Sure -- that is your experience. But it says on the Thai Consulate - Los Angeles website:

*6. Four copies of police verification stating the applicant has no criminal record issued by the authority concerned of his/her nationality or residence.

and the person that happily accepted your local city police report last time may not be there and the new persons wants to know where is your official State of California report and will not accept a local police report as you are a 'resident' of the State of California not your local city.

There seems to be several differences in requirements between obtaining a non imm o-a multi entry via the Los Angeles Thai Consulate and obtaining it via the Thai Embassy in Washington DC. I suggest one follow the instructions for the specific location where one intends to apply for the non imm o-a.

• Like 1

and the person that happily accepted your local city police report last time may not be there and the new persons wants to know where is your official State of California report and will not accept a local police report as you are a 'resident' of the State of California not your local city.

There seems to be several differences in requirements between obtaining a non imm o-a multi entry via the Los Angeles Thai Consulate and obtaining it via the Thai Embassy in Washington DC. I suggest one follow the instructions for the specific location where one intends to apply for the non imm o-a.

Yes -- and the one for Los Angeles says authority concerned of nationality or residence which is not your local cop notarized or otherwise. Why anybody would mess with this when a state report is easily attainable is beyond me but such is life.

BTW since a mail-in O-A application to the Washington DC Thai Embassy may require up to 2 months in the USA and it is a 1400 km drive each way from Central Florida to Washington DC, I find that while the O-A visa may at some point be very desirable for me, it may prove totally impractical for me to obtain one with my typical trip of 3 weeks in USA. I did purchase an online (non-certified) version of my State of Florida criminal background check just to see what it looks like.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

Yes -- and the one for Los Angeles says authority concerned of nationality or residence which is not your local cop notarized or otherwise. Why anybody would mess with this when a state report is easily attainable is beyond me but such is life.

BTW since a mail-in O-A application to the Washington DC Thai Embassy may require up to 2 months in the USA and it is a 1400 km drive each way from Central Florida to Washington DC, I find that while the O-A visa may at some point be very desirable for me, it may prove totally impractical for me to obtain one with my typical trip of 3 weeks in USA. I did purchase an online (non-certified) version of my State of Florida criminal background check just to see what it looks like.

Disagree. Your "residence" is where you reside.....depending upon interpretation of the word, that's in a city or a state or a country. (It says nationality or residence.) The fact that LA accepts local reports should be proof enough but think what you want.

As to your earlier speculation that "the person may not be there the next time".....the application goes through an initial screening and then is presented to the person who processes the visa applications. Both the initial screener and the person processing the application accepted the local police reports, leading one to believe that that's the policy.

Since you don't possess any actual experience in the matter, I'm not sure why you think your assertion has any merit whatsoever when, in practice, it doesn't.

When I did this 5 years ago, it was generally accepted that getting a retirement visa from the Embassy in D.C. was a crap shoot, even if you met all of the criteria. The advice from a number of fronts was to come to Thailand on a 3-month visa (I did a business visa), and then apply for the retirement visa when you are here. You still need the police report. Make sure that you understand if you need one from more than one place if you moved recently. I decided to spend the money and have Siam Legal do it. After you get the visa, you can do the extensions and reporting yourself.

Other than that, you just need money, either about $23,000 you deposit in a Thai bank, or documented income of about $2,300 a month. The latter is the easiest as you just fill out a form and get it notarized at the American embassy.

You can go with a letter from Barney Fife. If I were to apply whether in Washington DC, Los Angeles, Chicago or New York, I would stick with something like this which is what they actually ask for on their websites:

cchinet-email.jpg

It's happening. People who have gotten extensions of stay are confused about why no criminal record report was required for their "Retirement Visa." People who insist on calling their extensions of stay "Retirement Visas" are wreaking havoc and needlessly upsetting people. You can not "just call it whatever you want." O visas, OA visas and extensions of stay are distinct and different and have different conditions of qualification. Let's not confuse and upset others needlessly!

Can you explain the main difference (s) between a "12-month extension based on retirement" and a "retirement visa." This seems to be why so many people are confused over the term "retirement visa." A few distinctions between the two would be very helpful.

When I did this 5 years ago, it was generally accepted that getting a retirement visa from the Embassy in D.C. was a crap shoot, even if you met all of the criteria. The advice from a number of fronts was to come to Thailand on a 3-month visa (I did a business visa), and then apply for the retirement visa when you are here. You still need the police report. Make sure that you understand if you need one from more than one place if you moved recently. I decided to spend the money and have Siam Legal do it. After you get the visa, you can do the extensions and reporting yourself.

Other than that, you just need money, either about $23,000 you deposit in a Thai bank, or documented income of about $2,300 a month. The latter is the easiest as you just fill out a form and get it notarized at the American embassy.

A police report is not required for a retirement extension of stay in Thailand. Never has been. What is required is a TM.7, copies of passport/non immigrant visa/entry/departure card. be over age 50 and have required financial proof and pay 1,900 baht. If you supplied a police report to a third party and paid them it was your path - it is not an immigration requirement.

Up to you though

Cheers

Police checks are not required for extensions of stay,

Can you provide a link to the website page that says such checks are required ?

Furthermore I did not have to prove I had 800,000 baht in a Bangkok bank account or a overseas bank account...but I did obtain an affidavit from my embassy stating that this person ( myself ) has financial resource enough to be granted another retirement extension.

There are several stated requirements ..but..... when I go to Changwatana the immigration ladies do not scrutinize anything at all...rather just stamp everything and file everything, as need be, and we all have a nice friendly chat about their work and their careers and how long they have worked at immigration and do you remember the old immigration office on Soi Suan Plue ...and show them photos of my child ( they love children's photos ) and yakkity yak.

How you would be handled at another office....well I do not know exactly ...but at Changwattana ...... Smooth As Silk and all done in less than 4 hours.

Cheers