PM affirms Thailand to invest in first high speed train project by its own funds

rooster59

PM affirms Thailand to invest in first high speed train project by its own funds

post-247607-0-07027400-1458975957_thumb.

BANGKOK: Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha said Thailand will invest in the high speed railway project by its own funds with the first route starting from Bangkok to Nakhon Ratchasima covering the distance of 250 kilometres.

However he said this first high speed railway project will rely on the Chinese technology.

Speaking on his “Returning Happiness to the People” programme broadcast nationwide on TV network every Friday night, Gen Prayut reiterated that the high speed train project will go ahead without the Chinese joint venture.

He reasoned that the Chinese wanted to invest in the project under the concession model but this was not accepted by Thailand.

There was no granting of concession to any investors as Thailand considered that under such busin SS model, Thailand would be disadvantaged, he said and added that therefore Thailand will invest by its own funds as ” we have potential to invest in this project.”

However the high speed train project would be scaled down to only one route first from Bangkok to Nakhon Ratchasima covering about 250 kilometres.

But he assured that the route will be later extended to cover all parts of the country.

He also said although Thailand will invest by itself but it will need the Chinese technology, expertise and know-how to run the high speed train project in the initial stage.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/156956

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-03-26

Shouldn't the priority to build high speed rail network to cover longer distances instead of just measly 250 KM BKK- Nakhonratchasima route? What significant time you can save on this? By car you take around 2 and a half hours only to cover it. If train takes 1 and a half hour, then you have to add the travel time from your home to the train station also. No time savings at all I guess.

"...Bangkok to Nakhon Ratchasima"

Oh boy everybody! We are going to Nakhon Ratchasima!

"Thailand would be disadvantaged, he said and added that therefore Thailand will invest by its own funds..."

Yes having a partner who wants to maintain the train properly, get a return on their investment and reinvest money for future expansion really can be a drag.

"...will need the Chinese technology, expertise and know-how to run the high speed train project in the initial stage"

Yes, right up to the first scheduled maintenance, which will never be done.

"OK Chinese man. I am bus driver from Korat. I watched you drive train for one hour. I can drive train now. You go home now."

Edited by NCC1701A

A rather childish, face saving reaction when, if the truth's known, the Chinese most likely opted out due to their fees being unacceptable to the Thais...but instead, probably offered engineering services......of course, only my opinion.

250kms of fast train service, wherever, doesn't make the slightest bit of sense...either economically or strategically.......these trains are meant for long distances as we all know.......but then again.....Nakhon Ratchasima is a fantastic tourist region.:))

If we wanted a night or two away from Korat, in BKK, or short flight down South/Region, the key being traveling light (carry on case/back pack only), then I would be inclined to take the train.

As a means to reach Swampy for int'l travel with a lot of suitcases, I'll stick with private taxi. Bags go in at my driveway, onto the trolley right at the departures curb, hand off the airline. Done.

Used the Amtrak train once, San Diego to Los Angeles (LAX), 4 big, heavy suitcases, 2 carry ons, back pack/purse, etc.. Also involves a 40 minute bus ride train sta. to terminal. Won't do that again, but the train ride itself was pleasant.

Thomas the tank Engine comes to mind , I can't figure if it is standard gage at normal passenger speed of 140kph and goods speed 110Kph or dedicated track, High Speed Train ( HST) 350Kph..............................................................coffee1.gif

So the whole Kunming-Bangkok train line that has been planned for nearly 10 years has been quietly put on hold. The Chinese will not bother to build the rail line through Laos if it has nowhere to go after that. What a complete joke of a country Thailand has become.

"...Bangkok to Nakhon Ratchasima"

Oh boy everybody! We are going to Nakhon Ratchasima!

"Thailand would be disadvantaged, he said and added that therefore Thailand will invest by its own funds..."

Yes having a partner who wants to maintain the train properly, get a return on their investment and reinvest money for future expansion really can be a drag.

"...will need the Chinese technology, expertise and know-how to run the high speed train project in the initial stage"

Yes, right up to the first scheduled maintenance, which will never be done.

"OK Chinese man. I am bus driver from Korat. I watched you drive train for one hour. I can drive train now. You go home now."

Well, yeah, there is that too. Seems there's an occasional problem keeping even low speed trains on the track, and busses upright on wheels.

I wonder if, at the scene of the future, first high speed train crash, we'll read that the Engineer bailed out and ran away into the night.

It might as well end up with sparse concrete poles, half-done ballast with a few rails rotting under the sun when the project is put "on hold" (read: abandoned) like so many major infrastructure projets have been.

Thailand doesn't need this, and most Thais that already use the trains won't be able to afford it.

Thailand needs a double track, standard gauge well built railway system. That alone would make rail travel more agreeable and punctual than it is today.They also need to take an awful lot of freight off the roads and onto rail.

I am reliably informed that ex-minibus drivers will drive these trains.

When they finally manage to keep the slow ones on the tracks, I may consider getting on a fast one.....

But,,,,, thinking on it,,,,, nah,,,,, high speeds and Thailand, just not a good combination!

Just like when Forest, Forest Gump went anywhere, he was runnin’! When I go anywhere, I’m drivin’!

Had too many bad experiences with lunatics behind the wheels!

post-254872-0-36970300-1458983870_thumb.

Cooked, Thailand urgently needs double tracks, on all existing lines.

And to stay in line with the neighbouring countries 1000 mm is just fine.

Start running more trains, get more passengers, get more freight.

And most of all perfect the tracks.

When all this is done, then start thinking about raising the speed by utilising tilt technology.

And much later start thinking about going to standard gauge.

But never, never exploit two different systems on the same lines.

There is nothing wrong with 1000 mm gauge.

With modern technology, perfect maintenance (like on many lines shown now) the top- and average speeds can be raised considerably.

With tilt technology the stop speeds can be raised to nearly 200km/h.

What is more, most knowhow for this is available in Thailand.

No need to help China obtaining strategical rail connections through Asia.

I would imagine that the reason China opted out is they might have been the anti graft laws their government is enforcing now and they didn't or couldn't go into a business relationship with a country raking off a very large percentage of the proposed cost.

Sooo, Chinese expertise and know how, but done by Thai (Burmese) labor, with short cuts applied as needed to "save costs". Ohhh, yeah, that's gonna be one safe train to ride on. cheesy.gif

The high speed trains in China run very well.I think that they use trains made in either Germany or Japan.

Thailand doesn't need this, and most Thais that already use the trains won't be able to afford it.

Thailand needs a double track, standard gauge well built railway system. That alone would make rail travel more agreeable and punctual than it is today.They also need to take an awful lot of freight off the roads and onto rail.

Greed that Thais could not afford it.In China I paid $100 usd to go between Shanghai and Beijing.

Better to put the limited local funds into the SRTs' long-term plan, currently underway but running well behind schedule, to gradually double its existing meter-gauge network, for Thai passengers & freight.

And wait for the Chinese to fund & build the Thai section of their long-planned medium-speed freight-line, from the Laos-border to Laem Chabang, when they feel there is enough export-freight to make it a paying-concern. It's China's line, for their economic benefit, and should be built at their expense.

Why Thailand ever wanted to be commercially involved in it, when they have no control over how much freight will flow down it, beats me ! wink.png

Well no, to be honest, I can guess why ... but it would be cynical & negative to spell it out.

BANGKOK: Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha said Thailand will invest in the high speed railway project by its own funds with the first route starting from Bangkok to Nakhon Ratchasima covering the distance of 250 kilometres.

If he'd only be one of the first passengers doing 340 km/h, he'd make me more than happy. thumbsup.gif

One problem in this country solved.

post-158336-0-56257100-1458992842_thumb.

Perhaps Thailand needs the likes of Jay Gould, Harriman, Hill, Brunel, Gresley & Bulleid to give some advice on this minor railway construction planned. Couldn't do any worse.

Sticking point being 1 Chinese worker would have to employ 3 Thais , as the norm for foreigners to be granted a work permit ,

so bring 3000 Chinese to build the rail, is a lot of thai workers,

the exchange on wages for those Chinese paid in RMB plus accomodation plus return journeys

plus interest on loaned money plus the up keep for x amount of years

, after all said and done really

mei peng ! and mai chop ! is my motto on chinese built gear

Offending the now Chinese delegation on rail purchase is just business

like anyone if the terms are no good walk away , the government had ample amount of time

to view and disseminate the terms of contract,

Now saving face has backed the government into the corner

and can not re visit the Japanese consortiums offer

as that would offend even at (zero interest)

Now in a pickle with premature annocements of the rail go ahead

How do you say we got it wrong?

As much as i wouldlove the rail to be built and myself would use the service,

common sense tells us that the airport was not patronised from korat

why then would most people suddenly use the HST, when their pick up

travel per person would be far cheaper, Not one projected fare has ever been mentioned that

i have seen anyway, and if they could compete with the 220 baht via bus, remains a to be seen.

As the PM putting your hand up to say you and your team got it wrong would show strong leadership,

but instead we have a second rate service being offered paid for by the people who most, will never use,

Knee jerking erratic governance is surely not needed now.

A rather childish, face saving reaction when, if the truth's known, the Chinese most likely opted out due to their fees being unacceptable to the Thais...but instead, probably offered engineering services......of course, only my opinion.

250kms of fast train service, wherever, doesn't make the slightest bit of sense...either economically or strategically.......these trains are meant for long distances as we all know.......but then again.....Nakhon Ratchasima is a fantastic tourist region.smile.png)

I just wonder if this might not be the new location for the capital city? Humnnnnn????

250kms of fast train service, wherever, doesn't make the slightest bit of sense...either economically or strategically.......these trains are meant for long distances as we all know.......but then again.....Nakhon Ratchasima is a fantastic tourist region.smile.png)

I just wonder if this might not be the new location for the capital city? Humnnnnn????

Well those rumours persist, what turmoil that would cause !