Where would you put your money if?

If you were to leave Thailand at the end of April and return end November.

Had 2 mill in different accounts with Kassikorn

i mill in a recurring 3 mth fixed account

1 mill in a straight savings account, last used as proof of funds....

Would need to have 800,000 Baht fixed for 90 days and available for proof of funds from mid December.

What to do?

Thamks

Moved to banking forum

Actually, I did try to find a banking forum but failed.

Please help me by showing the

Search root

and

the search phrase

Like what I should enter and from where.

Cheers

Just leave it there it will still be in the bank when you return. I have had over a million in one account since 2007 not even interest cannot be bothered paying the tax on interest. Its still there donot understand the problem.

Just leave it there it will still be in the bank when you return. I have had over a million in one account since 2007 not even interest cannot be bothered paying the tax on interest. Its still there donot understand the problem.

Yep, got it, but....

I old Guy, wife 20 years younger,

maybe should do something to get best returns for her?

Pension goes to ground with me , bugga!

I've already set stuff up so she has capital in Thailand (land)

and two properties, she will hopefully still have a good life without me as her sole supporter.

Money in the bank - who to trust?

Gold?

It is a universal currency?

Yep, got it, but....

and two properties, she will hopefully still have a good life without me as her sole supporter.

Gold?

I am old guy too with wife 20 years younger.

Your post was about what do to with money already in the bank,for a short time well you are out of the country. .What does all this other crap have to do with your post?

Yep, got it, but....

Gold?

Your post was about what do to with money already in the bank,for a short time well you are out of the country. .What does all this other crap have to do with your post?

What other crap?

I think he just wants to brag

Thank you

a really helpful and positive post.

Have a nice day

Cupit Stu.. t

Sorry, you may be too young to understand Spoonerisms?

Yep, got it, but....

Gold?

What other crap?

this other crapI old Guy, wife 20 years younger,

Gold?

Yep, got it, but....

Gold?

What other crap?

this other crapI old Guy, wife 20 years younger,

Gold?

OK, I'll feed the troll

and your point is?

Yep, got it, but....

Gold?

Maybe the OP should be more concerned where to put his wife for those months.coffee1.gif

I'd put your 1 million that's in the straight savings account into a Time Deposit for the longest period possible and use it for Immigration purposes. Ex. Bangkok Bank usually offers 3, 5, 7, 10 month TD's. I do the longest and use it for Immigration because, IMO, rates will continue to go down for the next year or 2.

In your shoes I'd consider splitting the 2 million across 2 different banks.

From August 2016 it's legislated under the deposit protection act (DPA) that the guarantee from the government on your Thai deposit may drop from 25 mn to 1 mn per person per bank.

So if you have it all with Kasikorn your 2 million will be above the threshold if it comes in. In the event Kasikorn collapsed after August you could lose half your money.

The reduction may not happen in August. It may be postponed or may be reduced to 10 mn guarantee. Also the probability of Kasikorn going bust is also low. But these things do happen

So as you'll be out of the country when a decision is taken I'd sort it sort it now while you're here and it's easier. Also set yourself up with internet banking before you go as well if you don't have already. I'd also prefer not to have a fixed deposit while out of the country for several months if you only have 2 mn total. Something may happen where you want to get access and breaking fixed deposits while out of the country is difficult as they often require you to be there in person.

Have a look at the thread on interest rates for decent accounts. TMB no fixed, Stan Chart eSaver, BAY's mee tae dee have been consistently good over the years, and for each there is no notice period.

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

<snip In your shoes I'd consider splitting the 2 million across 2 different banks.

From August 2016 it's legislated under the deposit protection act (DPA) that the guarantee from the government on your Thai deposit may drop from 25 mn to 1 mn per person per bank.<snip>

I had forgotten about that, thanks for the reminder.

Yep, got it, but....

Gold?

why not get extension based on marriage to have to only keep 400k in the bank?

I think the fact that you are leaving has little to do with it - invest your money where and how you are most comfortable with it... I think you may have issues of cashing it out for another currency to take out of Thailand if that is your concern. You will also lose on the exchanges out and then back in again.

Any money that I bring here is with the understanding that it will stay here -

Unless, you need the $$ for your travel, best to leave it here in whatever investment you are comfortable with - bank is ok too...

Last time we were in Kasikorn Bank they tried to get us to invest in a Life Insurance Co (that they own large percentage of)- but you do need to lock away for I think 5 years minimum and you get around 4%. The interest is paid into your KK bank annually and its tax free. Plus I think it comes with some life insurance.

Maybe worth looking into as an alternative.

Bragging about what; being old and having a woman who cannot support herself, or he bought his woman some property and has $57k left, but needs almost half of it every year to stay in Thailand because his pension isn't enough for the income method?

I think he sounds like a nice old guy with limited means who wants to make sure his woman is taken care of after he is gone.

Yep, got it, but....

Gold?

What other crap?

Just an old Troll with nothing to do. Maybe look after your wife( sexually ) who is 20 years younger then you; before she go to your neighbors,

house for fresher vanilla ice cream.

Thank you

a really helpful and positive post.

Have a nice day

Cupit Stu.. t

Sorry, you may be too young to understand Spoonerisms?

In my childhood (a long time ago, before the PC brigade gained control of the world) there was on UK TV a male comedian who dressed in female clothes and called him(her)self "Cupid Stunt.) I think everyone got the message . . . . . !

Yep, got it, but....

Gold?

Maybe the OP should be more concerned where to put his wife for those months.coffee1.gif

Perhaps the OP takes his wife with him?

She has a Spanish Foreigners ID!

Archived