Asked for onwards ticket

Enforcement of such requirements is usually proportional to how overbooked the flight is, often used as a way of bumping you off the flight with the airpine not to blame. FACT

Nonsense. Airline staff have to follow regulations. Sometimes you get a new person who might not know everything, but as long as the passenger know, there should be no problem.

Some of the B...,,it airlines might try stupid tactics like that - years ago a friend of mine was told by Czechoslovakian airlines that "his agent has sold him a wait listed (not confirmed) ticket, even though the ticket (back then was still paper tickets) was printed by the airline itself and clearly showed a CONFIRMED status.

I once was refused boarding in Athens on a flight to BKK, as the ticket I had was actually Athens - BKK - Melbourne and I didn't have an Australian visa. My booking was only to BKK, though, and the part to Melbourne was open. When I realized the girl at the counter wasn't going to be convinced by my arguments (of flying to BKK, not to Australia) I demanded to speak to the station manager. She went to talk to him and returned somewhat upset telling me in a very angry voice that my luggage is going off the plane in BKK, and should I choose to stay on the airplane all the way to Australia I will arrive there with nothing (as if passengers could stay on the airplane at the stopover point) ...

Back to the issue of this thread: The rules regarding flights to Thailand are very simple: You must hold a return or onward ticket OR have a valid visa to Thailand. An extension of stay is not a visa and basically just for internal use. The re-entry permit, however - is considered a valid visa. As some people have so many stamps of used/old visas or re-entry permits, the airline's staff might have difficulties to find the current one and such passengers can avoid the confusion by simply locating the correct page in their passport and point it out to the staff BEFORE they even bring up the issue of exit ticket/visa.

So to avoid problems, isn't there a way to book a ticket online and then cancel without expense?

Thanks

Alohz

NO. Some you can purchase tickets from most airlines that have options such as check in luggage included and ability to change flights. Meaning dates etc. Problem is these tickets are perhaps triple base fare. I fly every week. (True)

Mainly with AirAsia. My typical 1000baht ticket to say hcmc would cost double or more for change of date than just buying new ticket.

On side note the airline will credit you with airport taxes if you apply. Personally I never bother.