Asked for onwards ticket

Don't known if this is normal procedure but a first me. Flying out of Saigon today with jet airways I was asked by their staff if I had a ticket out of thailand. No.. but showed her non o retirement and re entry permit and was ok

Just a heads up

• Like 2

Its pretty normal. Has happened to me several times on a non-B extension of stay with a re-entry permit. Typically,when it does, I have to find the actual re-entry permit for them as my passport is filled with expired ones and other visas. Once shown a valid re-entry permit, I have never been asked for anything else.

mine said single entry so she said "but has it been used already?"

i told her if it had been used it would be marked with "used".

so immediately she wouldnt belive me and turned into the neurotic skitzo she was and ran away with my passport. no wasnt going to accept this so ran after her. had to yell at her to get my passport back. supervisor was called/came and was allowed to pass. totally bad experience. foul mood all the way to the boarding ramp hour plus later. not the first time that they have pulled some caper. time before completely lost 600 dollars return flight- no refund by the airline at all on any part of the ticket or baggage allowance, so this time wast going supinely allow any nonsense to start at all,

a**holes the lot of them. completely puts one off flying anywhere at all

Edited by shagorillaHotel
  • Like 1

Its pretty normal. Has happened to me several times on a non-B extension of stay with a re-entry permit. Typically,when it does, I have to find the actual re-entry permit for them as my passport is filled with expired ones and other visas. Once shown a valid re-entry permit, I have never been asked for anything else.

so immediately she wouldnt belive me and turned into the neurotic skitzo she was and ran away with my passport. no wasnt going to accept this so ran after her. had to yell at her to get my passport back. supervisor was called/came and was allowed to pass. totally bad experience. foul mood all the way to the boarding ramp hour plus later. not the first time that they have pulled some caper. time before completely lost 600 dollars return flight- no refund by the airline at all on any part of the ticket or baggage allowance, so this time wast going supinely allow any nonsense to start at all,

Not good mate! What happened about the 600 dollars return flight?

best excuse she could come up with for not allowing me on the obviously overbooked flight was "you dont have enough to do in NZ" . no still havent got any part of a refund. it was several years ago now. had return ticket and over usd7000 equivalent in cash and travellers cheques on me which i showed. wasnt a flight from thailand. i dont need a visa to go there on my passport. oh and i dont drink alcohol at all so that isnt a reason Edited by shagorillaHotel

best excuse she could come up with for not allowing me on the obviously overbooked flight was "you dont have enough to do in NZ" . not still havent got any part of a refund. it was several years ago now. had return ticket and over 7000 in cash and travellers cheques on me which i showed. wasnt a flight from thailand. i dont need a visa to go there on my passport.

Not credible !

If you had been "bumped" because of the flight being full an alternative flight would have been offered.

"Not credible !

If you had been "bumped" because of the flight being full an alternative flight would have been offered."

airline only one flight a week at around 4.30 am means you gotta sleep at the airport floor over night. also said i had to go get a visa which meant going to a different country as there was no embassy there. takes weeks to get a visa. so totally out of the time frame i was planning. nz stations immigration officers at the overseas airports , or what looks like and purports to be an immigration officer. yeah got a picture of her. big maori woman. Edited by shagorillaHotel
  • Like 1

oh and the last time when they did let me on the plane they smashed all my luggage, i mean it would have taken a real concerted effort to do the damage that was done, and this damage was done through the plastic airport wrap that you have to pay for at the airport. smashed through an outside layer of stiff plastic box into smash another plastic box inside the outside one. and not just smashed one inside plastic box but three of them. total cost of plastic boxes smashed about 1200 baht. inside boxes were expensive waterproof airtight click-flap seal lock boxes

oh and the last time when they did let me on the plane they smashed all my luggage, i mean it would have taken a real concerted effort to do the damage that was done, and this damage was done through the plastic airport wrap that you have to pay for at the airport. smashed through an outside layer of stiff plastic box into smash another plastic box inside the outside one. and not just smashed one inside plastic box but three of them. total cost of plastic boxes smashed about 1200 baht

Amazing !

Did they single out your luggage, comprised of "plastic boxes", for "special" attention ?smile.png

• Like 2

oh and the last time when they did let me on the plane they smashed all my luggage, i mean it would have taken a real concerted effort to do the damage that was done, and this damage was done through the plastic airport wrap that you have to pay for at the airport. smashed through an outside layer of stiff plastic box into smash another plastic box inside the outside one. and not just smashed one inside plastic box but three of them. total cost of plastic boxes smashed about 1200 baht

Amazing !

Did they single out your luggage, comprised of "plastic boxes", for "special" attention ?smile.png

after the confrontation with the queue handler as above, airline checkin chick specifically asked me with a determined look in her eye "is there any thing that can be broken in there." i said anything that can be broken is inside stiff plastic boxes. fortunately they didnt manage to also break any stuff inside the plastic boxes as well.

Amazing !

after the confrontation with the queue handler as above, airline checkin chick specifically asked me with a determined look in her eye "is there any thing that can be broken in there." i said anything that can be broken is inside stiff plastic boxes. fortunately they didnt manage to also break any stuff inside the plastic boxes as well.

You must be really good at provocation.

hmm yes it is tempting to venture that, but when i went to get my luggage wrapped in the airport plastic, they initially refused to wrapped it saying that they get looots of complaints of smashed luggage and people were accusing the wrapping of being the cause of the damage.

was standing very close and the sounds of breaking plastic boxes were NOT coming from the wrapping machine.

plus on the forward leg they managed to dislocated the brazed on wheels of my luggage trolley which i was required by the checkin to put inside of my outer covering of the luggage. the forward leg i didnt do the airport plastic wrap but they still managed to break the brazed steel trolley.

i put the antagonism down to my refusal to buy a onward /return ticket that i was not required to have as i am a long term resident with the correct longterm visa from thailand

and secondly many western women take the fact of farang men who chose live in thailand, as being a personal and grave insult themselves (or havent you noticed this) everything is fine till they discover that fact.

there is also the race/sexist dimension. i am Caucasian male . the people causing these problems were non-Caucasian and not male.

• Like 1

10 years back , the then new budget arm of Qantas called Jetstar started with this insistence that , "We wont let you on if you havent got an onward ticket" stuff at check-in at the airport.

At the time I was visiting LOS every 3 months and Thai Airlines , the national carrier , never asked when I went with them. Malaysian either.

Initially I stood my ground with Jetstar , politely insisting I was "exploring" overland and saying things like I would be training/busing to Vientiane etc.

On the second occasion it almost got heated when I refused to buy a 'sacrificial' ticket to KL I was told I had to buy , and spoke with a supervisor who insisted that Jetstar had a 'right' to see some sort of tour programme outlining my planned onward overland tour - and even agreed that it could be an itinery made on my own computer !

Im sure it was true that they were supposed to see that the tourist had onward travel plans , but I think it was equally true that they saw this as a great way to sell tickets that often wouldnt be used.

It worked for them , as in the following months , numerous friends dropped $100 to $ 200 buying 'onward bound' tickets that they would never use , issued at a moments notice by Jetstar ..

I continued to test the waters by not pointing out I now had recently acquired a Retirement Visa in my crowded passport as I never felt it was Jetstars business or "right" to make me construct an itinery , and the staff would really get quite insistent or even angry ....

SOLUTION! next time get a "multiple" re-entry stamp! ist is cheaper than 600.00.

10 years back , the then new budget arm of Qantas called Jetstar started with this insistence that , "We wont let you on if you havent got an onward ticket" stuff at check-in at the airport.

At the time I was visiting LOS every 3 months and Thai Airlines , the national carrier , never asked when I went with them. Malaysian either.

Initially I stood my ground with Jetstar , politely insisting I was "exploring" overland and saying things like I would be training/busing to Vientiane etc.

On the second occasion it almost got heated when I refused to buy a 'sacrificial' ticket to KL I was told I had to buy , and spoke with a supervisor who insisted that Jetstar had a 'right' to see some sort of tour programme outlining my planned onward overland tour - and even agreed that it could be an itinery made on my own computer !

Im sure it was true that they were supposed to see that the tourist had onward travel plans , but I think it was equally true that they saw this as a great way to sell tickets that often wouldnt be used.

It worked for them , as in the following months , numerous friends dropped $100 to $ 200 buying 'onward bound' tickets that they would never use , issued at a moments notice by Jetstar ..

I continued to test the waters by not pointing out I now had recently acquired a Retirement Visa in my crowded passport as I never felt it was Jetstars business or "right" to make me construct an itinery , and the staff would really get quite insistent or even angry ....

It was their right. And no itinerary is not sufficient.

It's essential to check the entry requirements for your destination. If you wanted to visit Thailand and get the 30 day visa exempt stamp on arrival you have to have an onward flight booked outside of Thailand within that 30 day period. This is isn't a Jetstar rule it's the Thai immigration requirements. If you don't want or need an onward flight get a tourist visa. Travelling around in a fog of ignorance is just asking for hassles and grief.

• Like 1

It's essential to check the entry requirements for your destination. If you wanted to visit Thailand and get the 30 day visa exempt stamp on arrival you have to have an onward flight booked outside of Thailand within that 30 day period. This is isn't a Jetstar rule it's the Thai immigration requirements. If you don't want or need an onward flight get a tourist visa. Travelling around in a fog of ignorance is just asking for hassles and grief.

Absolutely not TRUE the rule is in fact enforced by the airlines as to avoid having to get you home in case of overstay deportation etc.

I have flown into Thailand in the last year 8 times on a one way ticket with no visa,I haven't been asked once for proof of onward travel.

I was however asked about 18 months ago by Qatar airways when departing London Heathrow on a one way ticket,I easily avoided further problems by booking a ticket to Kuala Lumpur for 1200 baht of which I never used.

I agree if you wish to stay here long term as a tourist get a tourist visa.

But there are many scenarios that don't warrant getting one and coming here on a one way ticket.

Those with Thai children and wives can enter on a 30 day visa exemption and extend it for 60 days I've done this plenty of times.

As always the rules are not set in stone,it varies greatly.

To avoid any hassle simply buy the cheapest ticket you can find out of Thailand In the 30 days,usually about 1200 baht.

Absolutely not TRUE the rule is in fact enforced by the airlines as to avoid having to get you home in case of overstay deportation etc.

I have flown into Thailand in the last year 8 times on a one way ticket with no visa,I haven't been asked once for proof of onward travel.

I was however asked about 18 months ago by Qatar airways when departing London Heathrow on a one way ticket,I easily avoided further problems by booking a ticket to Kuala Lumpur for 1200 baht of which I never used.

I agree if you wish to stay here long term as a tourist get a tourist visa.

But there are many scenarios that don't warrant getting one and coming here on a one way ticket.

Those with Thai children and wives can enter on a 30 day visa exemption and extend it for 60 days I've done this plenty of times.

As always the rules are not set in stone,it varies greatly.

To avoid any hassle simply buy the cheapest ticket you can find out of Thailand In the 30 days,usually about 1200 baht.

If entering visa exempt officially onward ticket is required. Yes, this can be enforced by the airline, but is an immigration requirement.

If entering on a visa no ticket is required by immigration, if entering with extension of stay re-entry permit is required.

Quite common especially if traveling on a one way ticket. I've been asked in numerous airports to show visa for my destination or onward ticket.

Just recently in Australia I saw 3 Euro backpackers heading to Thailand via KL asked to purchase an onwards ticket from BKK as they told check-in they intended to stay in Thailand longer than 30 days without a tourist visa.

True Stoneboy. I like many living in los fly often. Weekly. My observations are that flying from somewhere like Europe or AU etc into los without a visa (intention on arrival to obtain exempt stamp) often the onward flight is not asked for.

In contrast flying from say Vietnam etc with perhaps AIRASIA the onward flight often is if no visa or reentry permit present.

Also not that for some consulates a setv, for example requires an onward flight. (HCMC for eg)

Some do not.

It is completely normal request for AIRLINE to ask for onward flight if no visa or reentry present in pp.

Short time ago I flew from Vietnam to bkk (AirAsia) The clerk issuing my boarding pass looked through my pp. After receiving pass I politely asked why she looked at pp pages. Reply....to see your visa.

I fly there every few weeks and should add that often the clerk does not look at pp pages.

If I did not have a 12 month extension with reentry permit and was entering by obtaining visa exempt stamp, I would be ready to purchase a throw away ticket to cheapest option. That takes 3 mins on a cell.

• Like 1

flew into thailand bkk on a one-way ticket from sydney last week.

the thai airways check - in clerk at syd asked for an onward ticket and i presented 'don mueang to nakhon phanom with NOK'.

that seemed ok to him.

never - on now 10 entries - did i get asked at bkk for anything other than what i presented.

If attempting to board an aircraft without a visa an onward ticket (out of Thailand) is often required by airlines as a condition of boarding.

At Thai Immigration onward tickets are not often asked for but can be. An IO could refuse entry to someone who failed ( no onward ticket) to meet the requirements for visa exempt entry.