are tattoos going mainstream

doctor pat

Tattoos are a sign of rugged individualism.

IMO, Tats are so common that it sends a message to me that someone is a FOLLOWER.

I have no problem with tatts. To each their own.

But it seems to be a generic fashion statement these days. Most tatts will look awful as they folks get older.

But again, to each their own.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tattoos are a sign of rugged individualism.

IMO, Tats are so common that it sends a message to me that someone is a FOLLOWER.

I have no problem with tatts. To each their own.

But it seems to be a generic fashion statement these days. Most tatts will look awful as they folks get older.

Said the sheep.

I love this fact: if any of the "tough guys" saying provocative, derogatory things about tattooed people in this thread (<cough> keyboard warriors <cough> e-penis) were to walk into an actual bar filled with all of us huge, scary fellows who actually are covered with tattoos, and said 1/10 of the shit they're saying in this thread, they'd all be busy for the next half hour picking up their teeth off the bar floor...

Oh you men with tattoos are so "hard".

I love this fact: if any of the "tough guys" saying provocative, derogatory things about tattooed people in this thread (<cough> keyboard warriors <cough> e-penis) were to walk into an actual bar filled with all of us huge, scary fellows who actually are covered with tattoos, and said 1/10 of the shit they're saying in this thread, they'd all be busy for the next half hour picking up their teeth off the bar floor...

Oh you men with tattoos are so "hard".

Real men have tattoos, wimps, losers and wannabes don't. Clear?

"Them what is is, them what ain't, ain't never gonna be." JDH '77

Haha love the generalised rubbish getting spouted on here " rare to see doctors, lawyers, judges or CEO 's with tattoos" What? Really? Or "faux tough guys wannabes and never were's". The irony here is tattooed people couldn't give a <deleted> what non-tattoed people are thinking, yet non-tattoed people are so quick with their vehemence, bigotry and ridicule towards tattooed folk. So guess who the narrow minded, petty, judgemental <deleted> are.

I agree some of that generalized rubbish starky, that it's rare to see people of substance with tattoos, and I mean the large, exposed, attention seeking tatts. I'm sure there are many who do have them, but they are discreet, visible only when not wearing clothes. They are people who are confident and don't need to attract attention to themselves to feel good about themselves.

I have such a tatt, small, about 5 cm X 5 cm, discreet, and my gf loves it.

I don't stand in judgement of those who do have sleeves, facial tatts, etc., just not my style, and I do wonder if many will regret such ostentatious 'branding' later in their lives. I see a business opportunity in tattoo removal.

I agree with Karen Bravo that they're now mainstream, but there have been many fads that have been mainstream and then become un-mainstream, so I expect we'll see less sometime in the future.

I liked namatjira's post in response to starky, cut and pasted below

namatjira

Posted 2016-04-04 14:15:42

Saastrajaa, on 04 Apr 2016 - 13:23, said:snapback.png

Brilliant...and there we have it.....proof of the mentality of many of the tattooed.....

Yes folks...huge scary fellows covered in tattoos......no thanks .....

Proof of the mentality of many. He didn't say "all".

Edited by F4UCorsair

Not necessarily.

Google "senior" and "tattoo" you will find a lot of pictures of old folks with tattoos that still look good. As often it depends of the quality of the original work.

A5eEYpPCMAAwX1D.jpg-large.jpg

Not necessarily.

Google "senior" and "tattoo" you will find a lot of pictures of old folks with tattoos that still look good. As often it depends of the quality of the original work.

A5eEYpPCMAAwX1D.jpg-large.jpg

It's a perception thang.....

For me neither of the pics - young or old look "good"....I can think of a few descriptions (not necessarily condemnations) but good wouldn't come to mind....

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1110871148958606&id=312184698827259

Apparently the newest tat trend....

Something is seriously wrong with people that would want to do this IMHO....

It seems most of the time it's a cover up for an old tattoo

As usual you can do it the cheap way or spend a bit more of money for a nicer result

tattoo-cover-up-3.jpg

Edited by JohnnyJazz

Tattoos are like bumper stickers — the main differences are bumper stickers on your car can be easily taken off. Having said that now lets think about something else… If you had a really good car, say a high-end BMW, or Rolls Royce, would you lower its value by slapping stupid bumper stickers all over its rear end? I think not. I, being the somewhat silent judgmental sort of person I admit to being, when I meet someone that sounds smart, looks and dresses smartly, then I realize they have a bunch of tattoos — sorry, but I instantly deduct 10 or 12 points from their perceived IQ. (Now let the haters rear their heads...)

Tattoos are like bumper stickers — the main differences are bumper stickers on your car can be easily taken off. Having said that now lets think about something else… If you had a really good car, say a high-end BMW, or Rolls Royce, would you lower its value by slapping stupid bumper stickers all over its rear end? I think not. I, being the somewhat silent judgmental sort of person I admit to being, when I meet someone that sounds smart, looks and dresses smartly, then I realize they have a bunch of tattoos — sorry, but I instantly deduct 10 or 12 points from their perceived IQ. (Now let the haters rear their heads...)

How many IQ points should we deduct from people comparing the value of a car with bumper stickers to the "value" of a human being with tattoos?

So people who don't agree with you are "haters" ?

Minus 50 IQ point for you ! biggrin.png

So people who don't agree with you are "haters" ?

Minus 50 IQ point for you ! biggrin.png

JohnnyJazz, I don't recall ever saying or implying anyone needs to agree with me. I was simply stating my thoughts on tattoos in general.

post-128718-0-26560400-1460245548_thumb.

I really don't judge the tattooed much. There are so many now, its kind of lost its "individuality" ranking. I see some I like and some I don't like. But when I think about tattoos, my memory goes back to when I did volunteer work at a hospital. There was this guy there, well over 6 foot 4, BIG, red hair, full red beard. He used to play music and take the wheelchair bond in his arms and dance with them. The guy was covered in cartoon tattoos, Tweedy Bird, Yosemite Sam and the like. It fitted him. One of the sweetest people you could meet.

Thanks for posting your selfie, JohnnyJazz. Seriously now, he does have a problem...If he flies home in that condition, most airlines today would charge him for two seats! Have a good day...

• 4 months later...

I think it's funny you ask this question now, tattoos have gone mainstream all over the world like 5-10 years ago. In my Eastern European country probably 50% of young women have them, and suprisingly a lot of middle age and even older women get them. I would not date one that has any tattoo though. 

On 4/9/2016 at 6:21 PM, bunnydrops said:

I really don't judge the tattooed much. There are so many now, its kind of lost its "individuality" ranking. I see some I like and some I don't like. 

I see about one out of a thousand that looks good and improves someone's appearance and that is when they are young and fit. The rest just look tacky or worse. I do not understand why people do that to themselves.

Edited by Ulysses G.

3 minutes ago, Ulysses G. said:

I see about one out of a thousand that looks good and improved someone's appearance and that is when they are young and fit. The rest just look tacky or worse. I do not understand why people do that to themselves.

Because they don't understand T-Shirts. 

Saw a rather beautiful young girl at a food court yesterday. Very well dressed.The thing that really stood out on her flawless white skin. Was a name. Written in cursive. On her inner wrist. No straight edge was used or she winced when getting it done as it was super crooked. Looked real bad.

Tattoos will never be mainstream! I feel sorry for young people who have gotten tattoos and must live with it for

the rest of their lives. I'm not talking about a 1 inch butterfly, but anything larger. I have hired about 3000 Engineers

in my life and if I saw a tattoo that person would not be hired. So, if you have one hide it with a long sleeve shirt

and maybe you will get a job. Then you will be able to prove yourself. My adviceis  if your not retired do not get a tattoo!

Ha, every time a reveal my un-tattooed arms or body, I feel like an anti-establishment rebel defying the prevailing trends. I see people whispering, men opening a path for me, women with the love of bad boys ogling me, but I wouldn't change a thing.

Dunno about mainstream just a personal thing l guess proper tattoos are for someone making some kind of statement for one reason or another me's thinks.

Never thought of getting a tattoo myself.

Seen a few tourists now and again with those ones that wear off,  wonder if they do it to try out that same type of personality change that some BM owners get.  :whistling:  :lol: