Mukdahan-Savannakhet Bridge Bus

In a few days I will be taking a mini bus to Mukdahan. The driver will drop me off directly at the Mukdahan-Savannakhet bridge at about 0830. Does anyone know the current times for the bus going across the bridge? Arriving at 0830 at the bridge, I should have plenty of time to make it to the Thai Consulate.

Also, If anyone has a recommendation for a cheap but clean guesthouse, please let me know.

Thank you

The bus departs Mukdahan every hour starting a 07:30. The one that leaves at 8:30 should be there by about 8:45. Be warned though it could be full already when it gets to the bridge.

You need to buy a ticket for it before you clear Thai immigration.

It is the same bus. There are not shuttle buses for the bridge.

It would probably be best to try and get the bus in Mukdahan.

But if he waits for the bus to come at the border and he already "checked out" of Thailand, he can just get on the bus while the other passengers go through the immigration formalities. But don't forget to buy the bus ticket at the small office near the border Edited by MJCM
  • Like 2

MJCM, good plan, I will watch for the bus and try to get on fast.

Thanks for the info Steve, I will look in to it. I was also going to try Lin's cafe. Reviews say they are most helpful. I will ask them about guesthouses, as I still have no idea where to stay.

But if he waits for the bus to come at the border and he already "checked out" of Thailand, he can just get on the bus while the other passengers go through the immigration formalities. But don't forget to buy the bus ticket at the small office near the border

If my memory serves me correctly (been several years) they did not start selling tickets at the bridge until the bus was almost there or had left Mukdahan.

The bus leaves Mukdahan station to Savannakhet cost 50 Baht you can get the bus at the border to Savannakhet cost same 50 Baht The problem you will have is when on the Laos side you have to fill out a visa form then its processed cost 1,500 you will find then the bus has gone. Taxi to embassy 200 Baht, coming back share tuk-tuk to the bus station 100 Baht Bus all the way to Mukdahan 50 Baht no problems on return

Take plenty of 20 / 100 Baht notes with you as the change you get will be in Kip 100 Baht = 22,000 Kip

Coffee 70 / 90 baht Large beer 50 Baht

I stayed at the Avalon 1,700 2 nights very clean pleasant young staff breakfast extra @ 90 Baht it is close to the bus station Avalon to embassy 200 Baht There is a hotel walking distance to embassy 450 per night you will have to google. I hear good reports about Lin's also. See other posts for restaurants

DO NOT worry about getting there for open time they are very quick 40 persons in out 20 mins

I did this from Phuket Total cost 14,500 Baht

P.S. If i was to go again I would stay in Mukdahan one night not 2 in Savannakhet

Good Luck

i caught the 8.30 bus from the bridge, all done at the consulate and was back at the bridge in time to meet the wife off the next bus as she had problems with a short date passport, and had to wait for the border permit office to open at 8.30,

re rooms i would look at the avalon, we stayed at fun dee, - http://www.booking.com/hotel/la/good-dream-guesthouse.en-gb.html?aid=357002;label=gog235jc-hotel-XX-la-goodNdreamNguesthouse-unspec-th-com-L%3Aen-O%3AwindowsS81-B%3Achrome-N%3AXX-S%3Abo-U%3AXX;sid=6e3092648686a468d0cf37eed7b6b166;dcid=12;dist=0&sb_price_type=total&type=total&

it was 500 baht a new place, rooms were ok, wifi was hit and miss, a little bit out of the way, but walking distance to cafe chez bourne,

Thanks for the info.

Steve, how full was the bus? Did you have any problems getting a tuk tuk? I am going on Wednesday. I chose the middle of the week, hopefully, there will not be too many people. That's the plan anyway. I have already printed out the Laos (for the visa on arrival) and Thai visa forms. I will be ready with all paperwork fill out (except for the arrival departure card).

The Avalon does not sound too bad. Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks for the info.

Steve, how full was the bus? Did you have any problems getting a tuk tuk? I am going on Wednesday. I chose the middle of the week, hopefully, there will not be too many people. That's the plan anyway. I have already printed out the Laos (for the visa on arrival) and Thai visa forms. I will be ready with all paperwork fill out (except for the arrival departure card).

The Avalon does not sound too bad. Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

The buses are always packed. However, the trip across the bridge is short, and even from the border to the bus station is only a few minutes so tolerable. If you can judge it right (do not risk being left behind) being one of the last standing passengers on the bus to cross the bridge allows you to be first in the line for the Lao VOA.

There are hordes of tuk tuks. Because of the heavily inflated fares many foreigners are willing to pay, driving a tuk tuk pays much better than any other unskilled occupation available. The result is that there are about 5 times the number of tuk tuks that are really needed.

i would try and get on the bus amongst the last , that way you should be one of the first off, i missed the bus as i was a gentleman and waited, but no problem there are lots of minibus taxi's so get one of them and straight to the consulate, as i did why try and save a few baht, when the whole trip is 5000 baht plus travel and room. the next day i walked and had a slow coffee and cake in cafe chez, and the tuk tuk's wait outside, straight to the consulate, get the tuk tuk to wait and then straight to the bridge, try and team up at the cafe and travel together.

Thank you all for the great advice. Does anyone one else have any recommendations for clean guesthouses, or even what area to stay at? It does not look like there is much around the bus station area. Is there anything by the river front area? What area do you suggest lookin at?

Thank you all for the great advice. Does anyone one else have any recommendations for clean guesthouses, or even what area to stay at? It does not look like there is much around the bus station area. Is there anything by the river front area? What area do you suggest lookin at?

Google Avalon Hotel I stayed there on Feb. When you go out the bus station gate its straight ahead on your right hand side and a 5 min walk.

But if he waits for the bus to come at the border and he already "checked out" of Thailand, he can just get on the bus while the other passengers go through the immigration formalities. But don't forget to buy the bus ticket at the small office near the border

If my memory serves me correctly (been several years) they did not start selling tickets at the bridge until the bus was almost there or had left Mukdahan.

I did the trip last year. Parked my car at enclosed parking (the one you pay for per day) "checked out" of Thailand, paid for the Bus. Waited 5-10 minutes for the bus and we were the first one on there as the rest was "checking out" of Thailand.

• 4 weeks later...

First time going through this border, can anyone tell me if Lao VOA can be paid for in Thai Baht? and if so how much? Many Thanks.

It will be 1500 baht. That accept baht or USD ($30 to $42 dependent upon nationality).

• Like 1

Reminder: get your US dollars (visa fee) sorted before you leave home, I forgot and couldn't find any in Mukdahan, 300+ baht wasted, and save a 50 baht note for the bus Savannakhet > Mukdahan, I was told they accept Baht but give change in Laos Kip.

Edited by lemonjelly

Thanks Ubonjoe. Is this the bus that comes from the mukdahan bus station? Would it be better to go to the bus station and get the bus from there?

I've done this both ways.

If I am going direct to Laos I usually just go straight to the bridge and get the bus there (but you might not get a seat).

If I stay overnight in Mukdahan the night before crossing (which is my preference as I don't like to be rushed), I prefer going to the bus station.

Reminder: get your US dollars (visa fee) sorted before you leave home, I forgot and couldn't find any in Mukdahan, 300+ baht wasted, and save a 50 baht note for the bus Savannakhet > Mukdahan, I was told they accept Baht but give change in Laos Kip.

Or just pay in Baht.

Or just pay in Baht.
If you pay for Laos visa in baht, it's 300+ baht more expensive

Get off in Mukhdahan and buy the Savannakhet - Mukdahan bus ticket: 50 baht.. Full size air conditioned bus.

Do not, not, not use the tuck tuck or vans - they are all con men wanting go steal your money. The correct price is 50 baht.

• Like 1

Get off in Mukhdahan and buy the Savannakhet - Mukdahan bus ticket: 50 baht.. Full size air conditioned bus.

Do not, not, not use the tuck tuck or vans - they are all con men wanting go steal your money. The correct price is 50 baht.

YES, YES YES clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

I did the trip last year. Parked my car at enclosed parking (the one you pay for per day) "checked out" of Thailand, paid for the Bus. Waited 5-10 minutes for the bus and we were the first one on there as the rest was "checking out" of Thailand.

Now looking for that Enclosed Parking on google maps. Is it near the Bus Terminal or near the crossover on the road to the bridge from the north/south route 212 ? Or even somewhere else? Thanks