police raids on bars

wolvesfc

I still find it remarkable that some people are repeatedly in the s##t while others never get a bit of it on them.

I ride through Santitham 7 days a week and 6 nights a week, and have for the past three years.

I saw a police check there once... I got waved through after showing my driver's license.

The one time my motorbike was hit by a Municipal pickup truck, the police told me that it was a civil matter, and that all they could do was act as arbitrator between the driver of that truck and myself, and try to help translate. And that is just what they did. The driver paid me for the damages...

As I said, in the past 15 years of living here, I've had no problems. I'm sorry if you do.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really think it boils down to the fact that if Thailand was such a harsh country in which to live, we wouldn't be living here.

We all have that choice.

ah the old "don't like it go home" comment

How is it that you see so much negative in a positive statement?

I said NOTHING about not liking it. I said NOTHING about 'go home.'

What I DID say, and that you completely missed, was 'living in Thailand is not harsh.'

Why did you ignore that?

I guess Anais Nin was correct when she said; "We don't see things as they are. We see them as we are,"

it's what you said dude "we all have that choice" "if it was harsh we would not be living here" i.e. if you don't like it don't stay

and to correct you living in Thailand is A LOT more harsh than it was a few years ago (midnight closures, no elections, people disappearing, passport required to be carried) starting to get the picture now?

you need to calm down and string that guitar a bit more

I still find it remarkable that some people are repeatedly in the s##t while others never get a bit of it on them.

I ride through Santitham 7 days a week and 6 nights a week, and have for the past three years.

I saw a police check there once... I got waved through after showing my driver's license.

The one time my motorbike was hit by a Municipal pickup truck, the police told me that it was a civil matter, and that all they could do was act as arbitrator between the driver of that truck and myself, and try to help translate. And that is just what they did. The driver paid me for the damages...

As I said, in the past 15 years of living here, I've had no problems. I'm sorry if you do.

you've been very lucky and jolly good for you! my Thai friend had a road crash in which a local prominent teacher climbed out of his crashed car and ran away not turning up to the Police station for 5 hours and was obviously drunk. He was a friend of the local Police big wig and my Thai friend was pressured into signing a waiver and the 'small' Policeman said there was nothing he could do to help her. You have been lucky but I'd let go of that 'high horse' attitude if I were you as you might be next but let's hope the next 15 years are as trouble free for you as the last 15 but it's nothing to crow about.

Are you suggesting that bars in your home country never get raided by police checking ID's, looking for under-age drinkers?

Although a 'city' by definition, Chiang Mai is a small town by size, and even smaller by expat population, and so anything that happens in one of its famous bars gets talked about by the expats. There aren't 5,000 bars and clubs that exist in NYC, L.A., London, or Sidney. There are really only a handful of "well known' bars and clubs, so anything that happens in one of them makes big news.

The sky really isn't falling...

Yes I am... there is NO requirement in my country to carry ID as it is considered an infringement of civil liberty as in the USA I am quite shocked that you support this kind of harassment as normally I like your posts

Sorry, I didn't see your post or I would have responded.

First, where do I say that I SUPPORT this sort of behavior? Stop making up things just to justify your responses.

In the US, the police have every right to request to see ID, just as you have every right to refuse to show it.

However... if they have 'probably cause,' and you refuse to show ID, the police have every right to detain you and hold you for questioning.

Second, have you heard of the new 'Passport Act?" (Not the one from 1967) It's a law that's been going around Congress for the past four years, requiring everyone traveling from one state to another to show a Passport. The new "Passport Card" was designed with this in mind, and to date, over 4,000,000 of them have been issued. Originally, when first designed, the card's 'claimed' use was to be an ID used for crossing Canadian and Mexican borders, since a birth certificate or driver's license was no longer valid for such travel, and travel to the Bahamas as well. Small card, credit card sized, so people wouldn't need to carry a large passport. Then some folks put forth the idea that making it required for interstate travel would be safer in these terrorist times, and drew up this new law. So far, it's been defeated each time it comes up for a vote, but all it will take will be one major terrorist action on US soil for it to zip right through. In recent years, people have been very willing to give up civil liberties in favor of what they 'believe' to be safety. Just think how many civil liberties the "Patriot Act" removed...

glad you agree... no 'requirement' in US or Europe to carry it as here

In the state of California one is required to carry a state issued ID. Minor offence if caught (and generally not charged) but it is still a requirement.

Incorrect. This has been tested in the courts.

There is no such requirement in CA.

One must however carry such ID while operating a motor vehicle and produce if stopped or lawfully detained.

You are right. When I checked, it stated this for driving and in a 'secure area'..such as an airport.

I really think it boils down to the fact that if Thailand was such a harsh country in which to live, we wouldn't be living here.

We all have that choice.

ah the old "don't like it go home" comment

How is it that you see so much negative in a positive statement?

I said NOTHING about not liking it. I said NOTHING about 'go home.'

What I DID say, and that you completely missed, was 'living in Thailand is not harsh.'

Why did you ignore that?

I guess Anais Nin was correct when she said; "We don't see things as they are. We see them as we are,"

it's what you said dude "we all have that choice" "if it was harsh we would not be living here" i.e. if you don't like it don't stay

and to correct you living in Thailand is A LOT more harsh than it was a few years ago (midnight closures, no elections, people disappearing, passport required to be carried) starting to get the picture now?

you need to calm down and string that guitar a bit more

Yes, I get the picture that 'you' see.

There is nothing negative in the statement; "If it were harsh, we wouldn't be living here." It means ' it is NOT harsh, so we live here.' I'm sorry, I thought you were a Native English speaker.

When I moved here in 2001, the requirement to always have your passport with you was already in effect. I don't know when that law was passed, but it's certainly not something new. And just how many of your friends have 'disappeared?'

Sorry if it offends you, but I'm quite comfortable living here. The only thing I'd change would be to create a Three-year visa, rather than one year.

When it comes to living here I wouldn't say harsh is the word. "Tricky" would be a more suitable word depending how you use it (more the artful/crafty).

Think along the lines of the chess scene in something like Alice In Wonderland. A sort of weird game of forward thinking and manoeuvre .

When it comes to living here I wouldn't say harsh is the word. "Tricky" would be a more suitable word depending how you use it (more the artful/crafty).

Think along the lines of the chess scene in something like Alice In Wonderland. A sort of weird game of forward thinking and manoeuvre .

Living comfortably within any country other than one's own native home requires a remarkable amount of 'flexibility.'

Rather than 'tricky,' I'd prefer to use the word 'acculturated.' This doesn't mean that one needs to wear calf-length pants and blue cotton collarless shirts that have toggle buttons. It doesn't mean 'going native.' It means one needs to learn how to move smoothly within the flow of the country one is in, rather than trying to buck it at every turn that isn't in keeping with one's native values.

Living comfortably within any country other than one's own native home requires a remarkable amount of 'flexibility.'

Rather than 'tricky,' I'd prefer to use the word 'acculturated.' This doesn't mean that one needs to wear calf-length pants and blue cotton collarless shirts that have toggle buttons. It doesn't mean 'going native.' It means one needs to learn how to move smoothly within the flow of the country one is in, rather than trying to buck it at every turn that isn't in keeping with one's native values.

Or you could live in a big walled estate, and just have your servants interact and insulate you from the natives.

Or you could live in a big walled estate, and just have your servants interact and insulate you from the natives.

That is exactly what 90% of the TV posters are already doing.

Another example of "Alice" . The "servants" are now mostly not "natives". So all the "non natives" are together in the walled compound! Curiouser and curiouser !

I suppose you could... But why would you want to?

There is nothing negative in the statement; "If it were harsh, we wouldn't be living here." It means ' it is NOT harsh, so we live here.' I'm sorry, I thought you were a Native English speaker.

When I moved here in 2001, the requirement to always have your passport with you was already in effect. I don't know when that law was passed, but it's certainly not something new. And just how many of your friends have 'disappeared?'

Sorry if it offends you, but I'm quite comfortable living here. The only thing I'd change would be to create a Three-year visa, rather than one year.

yes I know and all you are conveying is "I'm alright Jack" well... good for you and hope you get your dream 3 year visa... for me I like to think of a bigger picture and hope Thais get their freedoms back and, most importantly, Thais can gather, talk and debate without fear of arrest. How's that for a tune?

yes and the term I used was relative I said 'more harsh' not that it 'WAS harsh' but, generally, for Thais it IS harsh as their freedoms of expression and debate have been removed

new constitution? Hobson's Choice but we veer way off topic thank's to the Guitar Man so passport copy is required and we have to comply - case over

Edited by LannaGuy

yes I know and all you are conveying is "I'm alright Jack" well... good for you and hope you get your dream 3 year visa... for me I like to think of a bigger picture and hope Thais get their freedoms back and, most importantly, Thais can gather, talk and debate without fear of arrest. How's that for a tune?

I don't think it's off topic at all. Aren't the police raids a part of what you are complaining about? Or is that something else?

Don't you think that it's possible to enjoy one's life here, and at the same time, hope for improvement for everyone? I do,

Sorry if that doesn't work for you. It must make your life uncomfortable.

Edited by FolkGuitar

Although the last time that Thais were allowed those freedoms to gather and debate, they brought Bangkok to a standstill for months, barricaded the airports and tried to burn the World trade center down as well as the public and army shooting at each other and the Country was threatened with civil war and the Government was powerless to stop it and they became ineffective, thats why martial law was imposed.

Sometimes an opportune phone call or such by the Mad Hatter to the White Rabbit can result in Alice not falling down the cavernous hole. All in the name of "flexibility" of course.

It's simply not cricket of course, says Alice. Cricket with a bendy , flexible bat maybe, says the Mad Hatter.

How doth the little crocodile Improve his shining tail And pour the waters of the Nile On every golden scale! How cheerfully he seems to grin How neatly spreads his claws And welcomes little fishes in With gently smiling jaws!

What wide jaws, the crocodile has and what expensive shiny scales, says Alice.

I wonder if he is at the head of the table at the tea party.

Its no different to the Family life back home, where the Father supports his Family

Off topic, In the divorce court that is called 'controlling behaviour'.

"He didn't allow me out of the house, he controlled all the finances, he never allowed me to have my own life, etc."

Been there, done that.

Its no different to the Family life back home, where the Father supports his Family

Off topic, In the divorce court that is called 'controlling behaviour'.

"He didn't allow me out of the house, he controlled all the finances, he never allowed me to have my own life, etc."

Been there, done that.

It actually isnt, supporting your family is one thing, using that support to keep your family servitude are two entirely different things .

I think it was the democratically elected popular government of Taksin Shinwatra that started the clampdown on bars, forcing them to shut at 12 midnight, raids for drugs, underage drinkers etc. So its nothing new. Purachai was the one who changed the Thailand nightlife scene, he didn't like it. I don't remember much happening before then.

Seems like Folk Guitar must have friends in high places in the papers.... BK Post (cannot post link due to rules on TV) had a very good article on these so called 'raids' a few days ago. I had spoke about these raids but it seems they have never been reported to our friend above. Three only happened last week down South. Many of my partners friends that live down South say these are a regular happening. We do not have the nightclub or huge bar scene here (well how can you if you are shut down at mid-night - even Spicys has put a cover charge on it's doors recently to boost its coffers due to its shorter opening hours a lack of young farangs drinking) so I well do not expect many raids going on here and when they do, they are for a purpose an we all know the reason why.

BTW, there is a big sign at MYST saying farangs must show there passport now and Thais there ID card to security before entering...