Chiang Mai: Unidentified foreigner killed racing motorcycle

webfact

Chiang Mai: Unidentified Foreigner Killed Racing Motorcycle

CHIANG MAI – Police in Chiang Mai are seeking the identity of a foreigner after he was killed when he crashed a black Suzuki 650cc motorcycle into a construction barrier on Super Highway Road in Central Chiang Mai intersecting with Kham Thiang Market.

According to the Manager Online, the unidentified foreigner aged approximately 35 was racing at high speed when he hit a scooter driven by a young Thai woman and then slid into a construction barrier.

Full story: http://www.chiangraitimes.com/chiang-mai-unidentified-foreigner-killed-racing-motorcycle.html

crt.png
-- Chiang Rai Times 2016-03-28

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's almost impossible that a foreigner will not have a wallet on him be it a expat or a tourist, more likely scenario

would be that he was relieved of his valuables by a heartless bystander or other person/s unknown right

after the accident....it has been known to be widely practiced in many places around the world....

I know this guy and he was my friend. It's not at all impossible he wasn't carrying a wallet as he only ever carried cash. He'd had an argument with his girlfriend before he went out in a huff. RIP my friend.

And can we not speculate about people's motives here - he had nothing but good things to say about Thai people and indeed the Thai police who had helped him out only a couple of nights before.

It's almost impossible that a foreigner will not have a wallet on him be it a expat or a tourist, more likely scenario

would be that he was relieved of his valuables by a heartless bystander or other person/s unknown right

after the accident....it has been known to be widely practiced in many places around the world....

Almost impossible? BS, I don't even have a wallet. I only take cash with me. And if I think I might run out of cash, my ATM card.

To the poster above, sorry you lost your friend. But these stupid farang on motorbikes are killing Thai people all the time. Who is going to pay for the Thai woman's injuries/loss of income/ wrecked motorbike? If she recovers she will be scarred for life because of his stupidity/ selfishness.

Was the farang even insured? They are a burden on the hospital system here.

These farangs make Thailand dangerous for Thai people going about their lives. I know a Russian bloke who killed a Thai woman on a bike in Pattaya two years ago. He admits it was his fault, he fought tooth and nail not to pay compensation to the girls family (spent time in jail rather than coughing up about $5,000), he had no insurance, no license and absolutely no remorse.

He did cop a severe beating at the scene from the angry Thais who witnessed it.

Almost impossible? BS, I don't even have a wallet. I only take cash with me. And if I think I might run out of cash, my ATM card.

To the poster above, sorry you lost your friend. But these stupid farang on motorbikes are killing Thai people all the time. Who is going to pay for the Thai woman's injuries/loss of income/ wrecked motorbike? If she recovers she will be scarred for life because of his stupidity/ selfishness.

These farangs make Thailand dangerous for Thai people going about their lives. I know a Russian bloke who killed a Thai woman on a bike in Pattaya two years ago. He admits it was his fault, he fought tooth and nail not to pay compensation to the girls family (spent time in jail rather than coughing up about $5,000), he had no insurance, no license and absolutely no remorse.

Yes, he was insured. And accidents happen - I suspect that as many farang (if not more) are injured by Thais than vice-versa.

Having lived here a long and ridden to most places in Thailand i can say with no hesitation you are talking s##t.

I am sure it has happened that that "farangs" have been the cause of death to Thai people in motor accidents, but to state that we are riding about Thailand and killing Thai people as you say is at best wrong and ill informed.

Nearly everyday you can see videos of Thai people driving or riding in crazy and dangerous ways on the internet. If as you state us "farangs" were causing these accidents, please show me the evidence.

Just because you knew one person, that is not enough proof to make stupid statements as you have.

We are a burden on the hospitals here? Really? Are you on medication?

Having lived here a long and ridden to most places in Thailand i can say with no hesitation you are talking s##t.

I am sure it has happened that that "farangs" have been the cause of death to Thai people in motor accidents, but to state that we are riding about Thailand and killing Thai people as you say is at best wrong and ill informed.

Nearly everyday you can see videos of Thai people driving or riding in crazy and dangerous ways on the internet. If as you state us "farangs" were causing these accidents, please show me the evidence.

Just because you knew one person, that is not enough proof to make stupid statements as you have.

Read Roomuck's post again. He did not say that farangs are riding around Thailand killing Thai people. He said "these stupid farang on motorbikes are killing Thai people all the time"

On this score, I agree with him. I have also lived here a while and have ridden to most places in Thailand. However, I ride sensibly and defensively and at the appropriate speed. I know of a group of farang bikers who sneer at anyone riding slower than 150-160 kph. On a recent ride from Bkk to CIC, they took pride in completing this journey in under 4 hours. It does not take a genius to figure out what speeds they got up to. Extremely stupid and reckless, considering they were on public roads.

That's not to say that Thais don't do the same themselves. But we are talking about farangs here and as Roomuck said, "These farangs make Thailand dangerous for Thai people going about their lives"

I know this guy and he was my friend. It's not at all impossible he wasn't carrying a wallet as he only ever carried cash. He'd had an argument with his girlfriend before he went out in a huff. RIP my friend.

And can we not speculate about people's motives here - he had nothing but good things to say about Thai people and indeed the Thai police who had helped him out only a couple of nights before.

Sorry to hear about your friend.

If only he had been a bit more sensible and not let the red mist descend, he would be alive today and the other woman would not have been injured. I wish her a speedy recovery.

More than likely, the Thai girl on the scooter changed lanes without looking and thats how the accident happened.

And as usual. thais always blame farangs and that is why people say that farangs (even bikers), kill thai people...

when the actual fact is that thai stupidity kills people...

Read Roomuck's post again. He did not say that farangs are riding around Thailand killing Thai people. He said "these stupid farang on motorbikes are killing Thai people all the time"

On this score, I agree with him. I have also lived here a while and have ridden to most places in Thailand. However, I ride sensibly and defensively and at the appropriate speed. I know of a group of farang bikers who sneer at anyone riding slower than 150-160 kph. On a recent ride from Bkk to CIC, they took pride in completing this journey in under 4 hours. It does not take a genius to figure out what speeds they got up to. Extremely stupid and reckless, considering they were on public roads.

That's not to say that Thais don't do the same themselves. But we are talking about farangs here and as Roomuck said, "These farangs make Thailand dangerous for Thai people going about their lives"

Semantics. The point i was making as i am sure you know has the same meaning. He is accusing "farang's" of killing Thai's, is that not so?

So you know one group who like to ride fast? How many people have they killed?

Correct me if i am wrong, are the Thai government trying to stop large groups of Thai men having street races and causing mayhem around the country?

He is saying "farangs" are making Thailand dangerous for Thai people, i disagree. Yes there are some "accidents" but the cause of (99%) of accidents here is from bad riding from Thai people. That does have a lot of relevance with regard to who is killing whom and the costs that these accidents cause.

The article states he was racing. Who was he racing? If you are traveling at high speeds alone you are not racing, it's called speeding. How fast was he traveling? More likely scenario is that he may or may not have been traveling faster than the posted speed limit and may have been cut off by the driver of the scooter, we don't know the facts.

Nobody here knows for sure what happened and the article certainly doesn't shed any light on it. I ride a 650cc motorcycle and ride carefully and cautiously and still manage to get cut off by Thais on their scooters who think they own the road.

RIP to the rider.

Edited by ldiablo

I agree it is stupid to drive the way many do and the lady should get compensation. However, when a Thai causes an accident with a foreigner they should also pay the same amount of compensation which never happens. Lets be fair, compensation is required yes but there has to be the same payout from the person causing the accident irrespective if Thai or foreigner and that does not happen

Once again we see another totally needless tragedy on our roads, the loss of this young life and the injury to another young Thai woman will be devestating for their many family and friends.

Commiserations and condolences to all of them.

To generalize here (as many other posters take pleasure in doing) is both wrong and dangerous. Yes everyday I see irresponsible young farangs driving their rented motorbikes like idiots, they show no consideration for themselves, their pillion riders or other road users, they are totally absorbed in their own testosterone fueled world.

But, and it's a big but, everyday you will see young Thai's driving bikes and mopeds as though they are the only people on the road. They too seem oblivious to the risk inherently involved in their childish and selfish behaviour.

Yes the toll of death on our roads is both excessive and shamefull, but is it due to any one race or nationallity?

I think not with the blunt truth being that stupidity is not unique to any one country.

And tomorrow there will be more victims on our roads, that is guaranteed...

Speculation is what ezzra does best.

For most posters who don't know the facts, they rarely post speculation but there are still a few who can seize and twist any post to whatever they want and act surprised when someone pulls them on it.

More than likely, the Thai girl on the scooter changed lanes without looking and thats how the accident happened.

And as usual. thais always blame farangs and that is why people say that farangs (even bikers), kill thai people...

More uninformed speculation from someone who was not there and has no idea what actually happened.

I wasn't there either which is why I haven't made a post about what actually happened or even speculated what happened.

Yes, he was insured. And accidents happen - I suspect that as many farang (if not more) are injured by Thais than vice-versa.

Testosterone fueled with a little love anger thrown in for good measure is a receipt for disaster. I am sure glad I made it through those years alive.

So you didn't see the accident and have no idea what happened. Yet you have to blame the Thai. Typical response from far too many posters on here. Must be the Thai's fault.

Edited by Throatwobbler

RIP, he will have made his last mistake and the above quote shows that it was pure luck he did not kill anyone else with this behaviour.

More uninformed speculation from someone who was not there and has no idea what actually happened.

I wasn't there either which is why I haven't made a post about what actually happened or even speculated what happened.

Yes, speculation of course. But those of us who ride often sees this happening all of the time so it's a highly possible scenario.

I'm tempted to agree with you as to how the accident happened, even though as lots of posters will undoubtedly point out, we were not there and therefore should not speculate.

However, those of us who ride often encounters this "line changing without indication or observation" action very often by local motorcyclists on their scooters and mopeds. This happened to a friend I was riding with - a Thai fisherman decided to turn right from the hard shoulder on the left. Gave new meaning to the phrase "fish raining down from the sky" after my friend had impacted the fisherman.

I can also agree with you that thai stupidity causes a lot of deaths on the roads. However, we as foreigners can be considered equally stupid if we do not take their lack of road sense and road craft into equation when riding (or driving) ourselves. If we were coming up at speed to a local motorcyclist on the left and knowing that there is an intersection or U turn up ahead, then we should reduce our speed accordingly to take into account the possibility that the other rider would cut across our lane and for us to be able to take evasive action safely.

I agree it is stupid to drive the way many do and the lady should get compensation. However, when a Thai causes an accident with a foreigner they should also pay the same amount of compensation which never happens. Lets be fair, compensation is required yes but there has to be the same payout from the person causing the accident irrespective if Thai or foreigner and that does not happen

<snipped> However, when a Thai causes an accident with a foreigner they should also pay the same amount of compensation which never happens. Lets be fair, compensation is required yes but there has to be the same payout from the person causing the accident irrespective if Thai or foreigner and that does not happen

Welcome to Thailand.

Yes, speculation of course. But those of us who ride often sees this happening all of the time so it's a highly possible scenario.

I also ride quite often but more in the rural areas where it is a bit safer and there are fewer accidents that I see.

Having said that about 10 days ago I was coming down a back road with my mate following when a 20 wheel truck/trailer combination pulled out from a gas station across the road about 50 metres in front of us going the same way. He was going the same way and indicated as he pulled out .

He seemed most put out when I blasted my horn and flashed my headlight at him.

Moron!!! But we both got by safely doing about 75 to 80 kph.

The deceased had a row with his Thai GF, left in a huff and was riding a 650 cc motorbike.

But you assume it must have been the fault of the innocent Thai lady who, in your assumption, must have caused the accident with her careless riding.

Congratulations - you've just proved imperial colonialism thinking isn't dead.

Having just spent the morning in the morgue - I'm not really looking to argue over this. The person in question was often a bit of a plonker. However, it does appear that the accident occurred because he was cut up on the road by the other driver. Sadly, if he'd been wearing a helmet; he'd probably have been OK. As is he's never going to be OK again. He was 38 years old. Show a little decency and save casting stones until you stop sinning yourselves.

I also ride quite often but more in the rural areas where it is a bit safer and there are fewer accidents that I see.

Having said that about 10 days ago I was coming down a back road with my mate following when a 20 wheel truck/trailer combination pulled out from a gas station across the road about 50 metres in front of us going the same way. He was going the same way and indicated as he pulled out .

He seemed most put out when I blasted my horn and flashed my headlight at him.

Moron!!! But we both got by safely doing about 75 to 80 kph.

Yes, I am aware that you ride, the bike you ride and the speeds you do. And that is exactly my point. There are some of us who rides differently, on different bikes and in different places. This makes us exposed to more hazards on the roads that you are likely to encounter. For that reason, we need to be a lot more aware and focused when we are riding.

In the case of the truck/trailer pulling out on you, the end result could have been very different for a sports bike rider doing 160 kph. Thus my post earlier about riding safely, defensively and at a speed appropriate for the conditions

First of all I think your a heartless spiteful Bastard. How dare you rabbit on about the first armchair detectives well unbalanced theory then act all concerned to the second chap who as it happens is a friend of the dead young man.

An absolute perfect candidate for the pot calling the kettle black. What a nob !!!! Once a HYPOCRITE always a HYPOCRITE!!!!

Having just spent the morning in the morgue - I'm not really looking to argue over this. The person in question was often a bit of a plonker. However, it does appear that the accident occurred because he was cut up on the road by the other driver.

So nothing to do with him not practising the relatively easy skill of defensive driving then.