Sorry our pilot is wasted: Drunk AA co-pilot thrown off the plane in handcuffs

webfact

Sorry our pilot is wasted: Drunk American Airlines co-pilot thrown off the plane in handcuffs

Sorry, our pilot is drunk. This flight is cancelled.

DETROIT: -- American Airlines flight 736 from Detroit to Philadelphia was cancelled on Saturday morning after the co-pilot was taken into custody when he allegedly failed a Breathalyzer test administered by airport police, CNN reports citing airport spokesperson Michael Conway.

Passengers preparing to take-off have described “chaotic” scenes after the flight’s co-pilot was detained on suspicion of being drunk.

Passengers on the aircraft at Detroit Metropolitan Airport said they saw a man being put into handcuffs on the tarmac, and it was their co-pilot.

Full story: http://www.eturbonews.com/69815/sorry-our-pilot-wasted-drunk-american-airlines-co-pilot-thrown-p

-- eTN 2016-03-28

Irresponsible fool.Total disregard for a plane full of passengers.Imho the seriousness of this offence warrants a custodial sentence,which would hopefully serve as a warning to other pilots with a drink problem.

Edited by phitsanulokjohn

It says American Airlines.

It apparently happened before any pre-flight activity by the pilots. Apparently this drunk didn't make it to the airplane but was rather apprehended by airport security.

The article isn't totally clear but that's what it looks like to me.

Cheers.

It apparently happened before any pre-flight activity by the pilots. Apparently this drunk didn't make it to the airplane but was rather apprehended by airport security.

Cheers.

The photo in the link shows him on the tarmac. That would suggest it may have been after pre-flight, perhaps doing an aircraft walk around. biggrin.png

DrunkP.jpg

You should leave.

Was this vague comment directed at me, I posted immediately above?

If so, should I leave the thread, the country, life?

Sure if "everyone" drives (in your upscale area) on drugs-it may be a good idea to leave that area and preserve your precious life.

Pilots have to be under 0.04% Blood Alcohol Level?

Hell, where I worked in the Oil & Gas Industry you got fired for having a level that high. It was totally Alcohol Free, and I never flew an airplane with 400 passengers on board either.

If he was wasted as the report says, why did nobody notice his condition at the preflight briefing?

InAA their briefing consist of going in to a crew only area to pick up the weather and preflight report then going out to the plane and if you are the number two ( copilot) doing a walk around inspection of the aircraft.He could have hidden this from fellow workers with gum or so before he went to the crew area but evidently a sharp TSA WORKER SPOTED HIM AND INFORMED THE POLICE BEFORE HE GOT ANY FURTHER. ( damn caps locks).

I am guessing that this means that his career as a pilot is over, at least in the US. Right ? Or, does he get another chance (after a ban period of some years of course), I wonder ?

Reads like you are in Thailand too long, expecting every professional misconduct leads to an "inactive post".

I knew quite a few pilots and cabin crew in Bkk. Lots were on International routes. The Cabin crew were huge party animals into all kinds of drugs. One guy an American was ahead pursar and a meth freak.....I aleays wondered how they could party like it was the end of the world and then board a flight to work.

Cheers.

The photo in the link shows him on the tarmac. That would suggest it may have been after pre-flight, perhaps doing an aircraft walk around. biggrin.png

DrunkP.jpg

Perhaps he just stepped out to take a leak on the wheel..... And that's when the penny dropped.

I knew quite a few pilots and cabin crew in Bkk. Lots were on International routes. The Cabin crew were huge party animals into all kinds of drugs. One guy an American was ahead pursar and a meth freak.....I aleays wondered how they could party like it was the end of the world and then board a flight to work.

I know (personally) one Gulf carrier First Officer who, a few years ago, realised he was still too pissed to fly on Christmas morning, so he called in sick and owned up.

The Arab captain turned up for work equally pissed, but was told he couldn't fly.

The first officer (Western) got sacked.

The Arab got a temporary demotion.

blink.png

So much for the 12 hour bottle to throttle rule. blink.png

So to you this all means the rule is being ignored?? He might find some niche flying job somewhere, but his airline career is quite possibly over. You want his actual scalp, a public hanging, or what?