Personal details of hundreds of foreigners in Thailand leaked online

webfact

Great news for all of you there, now the local thieves know everything about you, will be watching when you leave home and get in then, so much for Security in Thailand.

Lets start publishing names of Thais that live in Europe, see how the Thai Police would react.

Edited by beano2274

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"...It also identified the website developer as a firm called Youngcyber Digital Technology, which is headed by a man named Akram Aleeming. The website for the firm was offline Monday."

yes, but here is screen shot of Mr. Aleeming's web site before took it down.

i retrieved it from http://web.archive.org. Seems he does web hosting as well.

post-156481-0-90458600-1459155985_thumb.

this is illegal, this kintra is turning out to be crap!! ooe personal records are now exposed tae criminals an other devious !!!!, congratulations!

a gave ring tae the embassy today and tha answer eeven suprised me mair than this, "sorry sir thers naething we can do"

Web site removed last night after being hacked. (The admin password was ..... . . . .. 123456.)

The site developer who had the live site with information supplied by the Immigration Dept is not answering emails or replying to requests for interviews.

Would love to be a fly on the wall when this gets discussed in various meetings at the Immigration Dept over the next few days

Well is not like it was anything important to Thai people, was it?

get in touch with your national newspapers in Europe or News Broadcasters.....

Those people who create dodgy passports must be rubbing their hands together, they have all the information required to create false ones, and make a hell of a profit.

Edited by beano2274

with my VPN the ISP they see the output of the VPN server. There is not a log made of the input to the server to match the output.

now that you have made that info public .......do we have to commit hari kari ?

It was mentioned before that any Thaivisa users who innocently clicked on that site to look at it as it was posted about multiple times last night may be subject to legal issues. Is that really a concern?

I mentioned that as a concern. Probably not a big concern but they may be digging through the IP records of who accessed it to find the original source of the hack. Forgot to turn my VPN on before looking and before knowing what was going on. biggrin.png

Isn't the use of a VPN illegal in Thailand as well?

this is illegal, this kintra is turning out to be crap!! ooe personal records are now exposed tae criminals an other devious !!!!, congratulations!

a gave ring tae the embassy today and tha answer eeven suprised me mair than this, "sorry sir thers naething we can do"

I have no idea about which Embassy is yours or who you spoke to.

My Embassy was contacted via their "Urgent Assistance" number and they were Very interested

It was mentioned before that any Thaivisa users who innocently clicked on that site to look at it as it was posted about multiple times last night may be subject to legal issues. Is that really a concern?

I didn't click the link which I received by email notification when the topic was posted.

Metaphorically speaking the door was unlocked, but that's probably not enought of a reason to go inside and have a look around.

I suspect this would be regarded as a crime in pretty much all of Europe and the US.

And not to mention all the data leaked on this website too: <link removed>

It has all names, passports, full current address, nationality and every single travel history.

All made puiblicly available within a simple google search.

amazing!

terrifying. shouldn't this be a news story all by itself?

Edited by Crossy
link to sensitive information removed

I mentioned that as a concern. Probably not a big concern but they may be digging through the IP records of who accessed it to find the original source of the hack. Forgot to turn my VPN on before looking and before knowing what was going on. biggrin.png

No - only the misuse of it to by pass officially blocked sites or commit crimes like hacking into data bases at immigration.

Great news for all of you there, now the local thieves know everything about you, will be watching when you leave home and get in then, so much for Security in Thailand.

Lets start publishing names of Thais that live in Europe, see how the Thai Police would react.

Euh. The ones I know live there with a farang who owns everything not the Thai spouse. Or it's a gang of Thai who live with 5 in a 20m room... ?

I didn't click the link which I received by email notification when the topic was posted.

Metaphorically speaking the door was unlocked, but that's probably not enought of a reason to go inside and have a look around.

I suspect this would be regarded as a crime in pretty much all of Europe and the US.

Not really, people click on links all the time by mistake.

But it could potentially attract future scrutiny. IP addresses are logged.

Well, should be logged at least in theory in a professional environment.

Edited by lkv

Euh. The ones I know live there with a farang who owns everything not the Thai spouse. Or it's a gang of Thai who live with 5 in a 20m room... ?

i live in Munich and a VVVIP lives here, goes to school here, his Security guys even go to a certain shop here, wearing their shirts that identify who they work for.

If that was done in Europe, USA ect. it would be illegal. A better idea would be if anyone can find the same details for immigration bosses and put that online. See how that goes down.

No. The technology itself is not illegal however the way you use it can be. I have a pinned topic on the subject:

Proxies, VPN And Other Information

No - only the misuse of it to by pass officially blocked sites or commit crimes like hacking into data bases at immigration.

I assumed it was illegal as the authorities wouldn't know which sites you'd visited so a blanket ban was used. I would guess if they tried to strictly enforce it the courts would be overflowing.

No. The technology itself is not illegal however the way you use it can be. I have a pinned topic on the subject: Proxies, VPN And Other Information

Thanks for that.

If you are smart! Contact your embassy the same as I am doing and express your outrage at this idiotic release of both Gov and personal information. If there are enough complaints by us Expats then the Embassy should address it and investigate it. At the very least you will be on record that its possible your identity theft was caused my this irresponsible act. Making them liable. If you do it the Thai way. Then, Maipanrai! You deserve what happens from it.

To the US Ambassador in Thailand.

I have read in the news today that it is possible personal passport information as well as home addresses in Thailand and other personal information about Expats was released by a firm who obtained their records from the Thailand Immigration in South Thailand.

Do I have cause for worry now if my name was on this list and my home address as well as my personal information and passport information was allowed to be released to the public visa this website? http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1459141534

Furthermore, the news service posted this problem in Facebook which led others to gain access and get this detailed personal Immigration information.

Is the USA going to do something to respond to this reckless disregard for protecting its expats in Thailand?

Do I have to look over my shoulder now in fear at my own home now that maybe an IS member will come and drive by my home and attempt to kill me?

What about the chances of identity theft now using my personal and passport information?

As an American Expat living in Thailand, is there any recourse to sue for possible future damages to me caused by this company and indirectly by the Thailand Immigration that authorized the release of my personal information to the company that was irresponsible for making a password 123456?

Is the Embassy going to assess the damages with which this type of leak could cause an Expat here?

Please let me know just what the USA Embassy plans to do to help its citizens with this complete lack of security protocol.

Edited by thesetat2013

And not to mention all the data leaked on this website too: <link removed>

It has all names, passports, full current address, nationality and every single travel history.

All made puiblicly available within a simple google search.

amazing!

terrifying. shouldn't this be a news story all by itself?

Certainly scary, I wonder how many other sites are so easily accessible.

I've removed the link despite it being fairly easily found by Google.

IMPORTANT NOTE - If you discover any more locations with personal data please don't post them here, we don't want to re-publish sensitive personal information.

This Akram Alleging guy is supposedly a Computer Science from Thaksin University, and he uses the least secure "password" possible, and leaves personal information open because he "didn’t think anyone would find the website"??

Tells you all you need to know about the standards of a Thai university. The standard of a juvenile.

Was this guy vetted before this information was given to him? He and his family are also now targets to those who could get rich with this information, either passing it on, or using it to gain access to those peoples homes listed.

But, I just wanted to check to see that my personal information was correct. tongue.png

As this Andrew MacGregor Marshall posted on Facebook, "the scariest part of the story is that Thai immigration officials gave freelance programmer Akram Aleeming highly sensitive data including names, addresses and passport details of foreigners in southern Thailand, so he could build his "test" system. That's where the real data breach occurred."

This Akram Alleging guy is supposedly a Computer Science from Thaksin University, and he uses the least secure "password" possible, and leaves personal information open because he "didn’t think anyone would find the website"??

Nice to see Immigration hired an IT consultant who really knew what he was doing, as is evident by his first-rate performance on this little job, his extensive experience and credentials, as seen below. Class of 2011, and even from Yala! No security issues down there! whistling.gif

They're giving this guy access to all the personal info, including passport #s, of farangs in the South???

post-58284-0-34672400-1459159473_thumb.j

https://www.facebook.com/youngcyber?fref=ts

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK