Swiss businessmen fleeced by Suvarnabhumi taxi - but Thailand restores some pride!

webfact

Swiss businessmen fleeced by Suvarnabhumi taxi - but Thailand restores some pride!
Thaivisa Reporters

sv.jpg
Image: Thairath

BANGKOK:-- The President of a Swiss company and his companion had a rude awakening to Thailand when they were charged 6,000 baht for an airport taxi ride downtown, reports Thaivisa News.

In a Facebook post that was shared many times, an angry Thai colleague of the men spoke of the disgraceful behaviour of taxis selling the country down the river.

Krit Karnchanabatr said on his page: "I was so angry, it is like a slap in the face. You might as well tear up the "land of smiles tag." What are my colleagues going to tell their friends in Switzerland about Thailand?"

However, the story finally had a happy ending thanks to quick thinking hotel staff.

According to the FB post the businessmen had arrived at Suvarnabhumi on their first trip to Thailand. Their driver had refused to turn on the meter. When they reached the W Hotel in Sathorn he demanded 6,000 baht. Not wishing to face trouble the businessmen paid but told hotel staff what had happened though they couldn't tell them the plate number.

The CCTV was checked and the licence plate obtained enabling front desk staff to contact the taxi rank at the airport. There the driver was questioned and when threatened with action returned 5,400 baht.

Later in the day the 5,400 baht was returned to the grateful Swiss, their faith in Thailand somewhat restored.

Added Krit:"The hotel were as dejected as me about this situation and I am grateful to them for their quick action in restoring some face to the country."

He appealed for all relevant authorities to stamp out the fleecing of tourists by taxis and said he gave 1000 baht as a reward to a hotel employee for their swift action in helping the Swiss.

tvn.png
-- 2016-03-29

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Smart traveller, do not travel if the driver does not turn on the meter,

No home work done by either passengers , as the first trip by one of them to Thailand,

when i travel i read about where i am going , what not to do what is the custom etc

reading about scams here in Thailand are numerous ,

i think the two travellers are lazy and one of them is not a very shrewd business man.

No home work done by either passengers , as the first trip by one of them to Thailand,

when i travel i read about where i am going , what not to do what is the custom etc

i think the two travellers are lazy and one of them is not a very shrewd business man.

Then the businessmen better take a holiday for a week to read thaivisa forum first. And they will still be cheated in the land of scams.

But why did the taxi go back to Swampy? This proves that a group of taxi's belongs to the airport and only takes rides from there.

"However, the story finally had a happy ending thanks to quick thinking hotel staff."

What was her name?

Yes, the real hero of this story is the staff of Hotel W--a classy place in every sense of the word!

Then the businessmen better take a holiday for a week to read thaivisa forum first. And they will still be cheated in the land of scams.

But why did the taxi go back to Swampy? This proves that a group of taxi's belongs to the airport and only takes rides from there.

the cabbie went back to the airport thinking gez these farangs are easy pickings i hope some more come in, and agree will still get ripped after reading

ThaiPBS reports this:

"He said he was very embarrassed by the conduct of the taxi driver and immediately sought help from the tourist police but was instead advised to file complaint with local police.

He later rang up JS 100 Radio for instruction, Suvarnabhmi airport and Hotline 1584."

So a concerned, empathetic hotel employee accomplished what the police, the airport, and all the other supposedly consumer-protecting entities could not do or would not do.

Special shame to the Tourist Police for not immediately handling this. Useless.

Edited by Fookhaht

this is the way here now ..get caught return the money case closed with no more actionblink.png , there really is no future here only if you want to put up with bull like this ...but i guess all the i love thailand clan will soon jump on and blame the swiss...for me the place is sadly going futher down into the <deleted> daily

ThaiPBS reports this:

"He said he was very embarrassed by the conduct of the taxi driver and immediately sought help from the tourist police but was instead advised to file complaint with local police.

He later rang up JS 100 Radio for instruction, Suvarnabhmi airport and Hotline 1584."

So a concerned, empathetic hotel employee accomplished what the police, the airport, and all the other supposedly consumer-protecting entities could not do or would not do.

And IF this is an important Swiss farang then why didn't they recommend him to use the limo-service or even better just pick him up with the hotellimo or send a driver?

He left his Benz at Zurich airport, flew 1st/business class and then has to sit in a smelly dirty crappy BKK taxi?? wai2.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gifcheesy.gif

And what action is being taken against the crook who drove the taxi?

Probably set to receive a commendation from the RTP, and, possibly, a high-ranking position... coffee1.gif

Just wait a few hours please, there will be a photo op with at least 10 cop$.

ThaiPBS reports this:

And IF this is an important Swiss farang then why didn't they recommend him to use the limo-service or even better just pick him up with the hotellimo or send a driver?

He left his Benz at Zurich airport, flew 1st/business class and then has to sit in a smelly dirty crappy BKK taxi?? wai2.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gifcheesy.gif

A lot of lame assumptions to support your blaming of the victim.

A crime of consumer fraud/extortion occurred here. Let's keep our heads on straight, shall we?

Edited by Fookhaht

Taxi scams are all over the world. We don't know the whole story. But when faced with a threatening cab driver, in a foreign country, after a long flight, it's best to pay up. Plus, he could probably just write it off! LOL

I don't understand why the whole of Thailand is getting blamed (by the wording of this article) for the actions of a taxi driver. If I get ripped off by a taxi driver in England should the whole country feel like they should be ashamed? Should I get a letter from the queen?

SOME taxi drivers are dodgy, it is in there DNA to try it on. The buggers just can't help themselves. They descend from the same ancestors as the jetski operators. It is part of their business plan. But blaming the entire country for it? This bloke went in too hard, if he had just gone in for 2,000 he probably would have got away with it. This will be a lesson he we will be able to pass on to the next generation.

Generally speaking, Thai taxis are great, one tenth of the price than in Australia where the are so expensive they are not really affordable.

It is pretty simple, you just ask them if they use the meter, if they do then great. If not, ask how much, if it ok, good, if not catch another one. It is not as if they are rare.

Don't get angry if they don't want to take you, up to them, just get another one. The money they get is low, I don't blame them for refusing fares sometimes, they obviously have a reason to. Last time in Swampy, the driver told me an inflated price, so I got out and caught another one, even after the original dropped his price. It is a bit annoying, but not hard to do.

IN MY EXPERIENCE most of them are ok, they are dirt cheap and plentiful. Cheap taxis for me, is one of the good things about living in Thailand.

Fail to see where the restored pride is, driver still ripped off the customer by illegally refusing to use the meter and charging them about 15x more than it should have been, and has not been arrested. More like shame than pride surely?