Really cool beer ( -8c ) is it good?

VJ cool drinks chillers.

Does anyone have any information on this brand of commercial, drinks display cabinets. I'm particularly interested in the beer (semi) freezer that claims to maintain a -8c whatever the ambient temperature may be. Perhaps a bar owner or a bar customer where one of these chillers is in use could share the experience.

I need to replace my ageing 2 door chiller that struggles to maintain +8c in 40c ambient, so any suggestions to alternate brands and models would be appreciated.

I can't believe we have thread to tell someone that water freezes at about 0 C.

Beer is not water. Even water may not freeze until in the negatives due to impurities. It's covered by "freezing point depression in solutions". The higher the alcohol content the lower the freezing point. Somewhere around -1.2 to -2.7 would be the range for standard alcohol content to start freezing.

But -8 and most beers will freeze and possibly a cracked bottle to go along with it.

I've put mugs in the freezer along with a beer or two. Before the beer gets to the point of freezing, remove it and the mug, pour the beer in and a nice slush forms.

I guess it's a Typo in the topic title ? As beer as cold as -8c will not be drinkable anymore but will be just a block of ice.

Edit: found this

http://www.ratebeer.com/Story.asp?StoryID=479

An interesting link. Thank you.

I would put local beer into the first category (don't want to taste). My real point is the capabilities of the cooler. I would like to serve local beer at around 0c to 2c. As a new cooler will be costing around 30k baht, I'm reluctant to spend without some input as to performance. The most popular coolers/displays seem to be Sanden Intercool but the best that they can do is +2c at 40c ambient. My present cooler can only perform at +8. It's frankly too warm although common place in most bars etc.

Any realistic input will be most welcome.

The (German) law is 7C, and it takes 7 mins to serve. Everything else is blasphemy!

7c is to warm for Thai beer and up to now the government here don't seem interested in creating an unenforceable law to regulate the issue. German bar staff are clearly slow and/or lazy but thanks for your invaluable input. Edited by billphillips

I can't believe we have thread to tell someone that water freezes at about 0 C.

Beer is not water. Even water may not freeze until in the negatives due to impurities. It's covered by "freezing point depression in solutions". The higher the alcohol content the lower the freezing point. Somewhere around -1.2 to -2.7 would be the range for standard alcohol content to start freezing.

But -8 and most beers will freeze and possibly a cracked bottle to go along with it.

I've put mugs in the freezer along with a beer or two. Before the beer gets to the point of freezing, remove it and the mug, pour the beer in and a nice slush forms.

That why I wrote ABOUT 0 C...and it's the water in the beer that's freezing. Edited by BudRight

Freezers run at -18 in ambient temps of 40C.

You might need to get an upright freezer and set the thermostat (or get someone to fit another thermostat) at -8C.

I can't see an upright fridge getting down to -8.

My local has, or had, the same problem with their upright + as you know I'm sure, they struggle due to opening the doors all the time.

They now use it for storage and other, slower moving types of beverages - soda, cider, etc. The common selling beers (Chang/Leo/San Mig) are kept on ice in one of those big blue ice chests. Perfecto! Everybody seems to love it, I know I do. The guys who drop ice into their beer glasses don't care one way or the other I suppose.

My local has, or had, the same problem with their upright + as you know I'm sure, they struggle due to opening the doors all the time.

They now use it for storage and other, slower moving types of beverages - soda, cider, etc. The common selling beers (Chang/Leo/San Mig) are kept on ice in one of those big blue ice chests. Perfecto! Everybody seems to love it, I know I do. The guys who drop ice into their beer glasses don't care one way or the other I suppose.

Thanks for that. I am keeping the beer in an ice chest too and that works fine. The main problem with that option is cost. I'm spending around 3000 baht a month on ice (average 2.5 bags a day @40 baht a bag) add to that 1600 baht for electricity (most of that is for the 2 door fridge) and it's a hefty addition to the running costs in what is a very small lock-up bar. I fitted a tap to the outlet on the ice chest and that helps to retain the melted cold water and reduce the ice consumption. I would only need about 600 baht a month for ice if I didn't use it in the second chest to cool the beer, assuming I could find a new fridge that actually cooled the beer to below 2c, reliably.

It's a failing by manufacturers that the coolers they sell ... can't effectively do the intended task.

Then I saw this machine by "VJ Cool" that specifically states it can cool beer down to -8c quickly. The problem is ... I can't find any information about it nor do I know anyone who has experience with them. I'm seriously reluctant to spend 32500 baht on what could be a wild manufacturers claim (TiT) and still end up using the costly ice chest option.