Farangs outraged by Tesco Lotus commercial showing Thai maid being slapped (VIDEO)

Jonathan Fairfield

She didn't even slap her. Her hand was actually about 6 inches from her face. Farangs with nothing better to do. I think they may be getting upset with all the news about Thais being outraged about this and that and don't want to be outdone.

Get a life people, It's a commercial.

I've seen much worse in commercials and programs in various other countries.

OK, I'm going to TRY to let you in on how the world works and hand you a clue. Those of us with a bit of maturity know that this is ACTING and it is a DEPICTION of someone getting slapped. OK? we get that. Just as we know that the crying broken hearted girl is neither crying nor broken hearted. And people shot in movies don't really die. What you can't seem to wrap your mind around is the offensive nature of the depiction of a boss seriously abusing a female servant/employee as if it were acceptable behavior. Your comment is calloused and indifferent. You are apparently too numb and insensitive to such issues to understand the public reaction. That's on you, it's not us. The degradation and abuse of women is a serious cross cultural issue, in Thailand and elsewhere, and anyone who appears to portray it in a deliberately demeaning manner especially in a commercial promoting a product, with about the same insensitivity as you apparently have, deserves to be pilloried, as do you for making light of it. And as to what's worse in other countries I can tell you this kind of thing not tolerated in the US. And let me add there is a big difference between genuine and legitimate dramatic portrayal of violence in a story line and frivolous unnecessary degradation. So here's another clue. What's in the movies is not the same as something like this. And video games aren't real. This commercial was frivolous and made light of something which was quite serious and hurtful. In the US you don't cast a black person in a subservient role such as picking cotton or shining shoes in a commercial to sell clothes or cars or anything. Why? Because slavery and racism and servitude of black people under white supremacy is a horrible legacy in OUR country. But if a movie tells a story in which slavery and racism is part of a legitimate plot line in which its basic truth is not otherwise degrading to black people it's a WHOLE different matter. If it's a comedic portrayal in can be done in a way that is not offensive. If you have trouble getting this ask a woman to explain it to you, preferably a black or african woman. Meanwhile, we are farangs with a heart and a moral conscience, and of the things we have that are "better" to do, this is one of them. To speak out on behalf of the way women are portrayed, and in fact regarded in real life.

The US, the US, the US.........

This is not the US - this is South East Asia. In fact fair to say that cultures generally begin to differ vastly as one moves Eastwards from a line of longitude drawn half way across the Atlantic Ocean

Maybe this might help....

Dear Rest of the world ,you are right so from now on try to settle your own problems of economics and trade.The US has enough inland wealth and national resources that we can become an isolationist as Wilson wanted in 1916.but then here you go BEGGING for us to come and keep Europe from having to speak German and after we saved your axxes at a cost of 116708 of our soldiers then you went begging again in 1939 and it again cost several hundred thousands of our troops and millions of our dollars to pull your butts out of the fire.We then had to create NATO at a Hugh cost in hopes that this was a buffer to keep Russia from taken advantage and start claiming more of Europe then it had already.Our loans and gifts in the hundreds of billions help you to get on your feet and establish governments in Europe so as not to be exploited by military Requiems again.Yes believe me the American public would like nothing more then to let your sorry axxses sink or swim on your on.Be careful of what you wish for because if that radical Trump becomes president isolationism of The US could happen.Then you better start learning Russian.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The U.S. saves countries from oppressive regimes, gives money/loans to world governments to trickle down to the masses below. Really? Actually, the U.S. instigates and creates wars to benefit the super rich in the U.S., it displaces, kills millions of people and destroys property during its invasion and occupation, then installs permanent military bases, while forcing the personally wealthy new puppet government through bribes, financial, personal and military threats to follow a NWO corporate agenda and accept USD as their reserve currency or else. Yup, nothing biut good intentions, those Americans. Ha, ha, ha!!

She didn't even slap her. Her hand was actually about 6 inches from her face. Farangs with nothing better to do. I think they may be getting upset with all the news about Thais being outraged about this and that and don't want to be outdone.

OK, I'm going to TRY to let you in on how the world works and hand you a clue. Those of us with a bit of maturity know that this is ACTING and it is a DEPICTION of someone getting slapped. OK? we get that. Just as we know that the crying broken hearted girl is neither crying nor broken hearted. And people shot in movies don't really die. What you can't seem to wrap your mind around is the offensive nature of the depiction of a boss seriously abusing a female servant/employee as if it were acceptable behavior. Your comment is calloused and indifferent. You are apparently too numb and insensitive to such issues to understand the public reaction. That's on you, it's not us. The degradation and abuse of women is a serious cross cultural issue, in Thailand and elsewhere, and anyone who appears to portray it in a deliberately demeaning manner especially in a commercial promoting a product, with about the same insensitivity as you apparently have, deserves to be pilloried, as do you for making light of it. And as to what's worse in other countries I can tell you this kind of thing not tolerated in the US. And let me add there is a big difference between genuine and legitimate dramatic portrayal of violence in a story line and frivolous unnecessary degradation. So here's another clue. What's in the movies is not the same as something like this. And video games aren't real. This commercial was frivolous and made light of something which was quite serious and hurtful. In the US you don't cast a black person in a subservient role such as picking cotton or shining shoes in a commercial to sell clothes or cars or anything. Why? Because slavery and racism and servitude of black people under white supremacy is a horrible legacy in OUR country. But if a movie tells a story in which slavery and racism is part of a legitimate plot line in which its basic truth is not otherwise degrading to black people it's a WHOLE different matter. If it's a comedic portrayal in can be done in a way that is not offensive. If you have trouble getting this ask a woman to explain it to you, preferably a black or african woman. Meanwhile, we are farangs with a heart and a moral conscience, and of the things we have that are "better" to do, this is one of them. To speak out on behalf of the way women are portrayed, and in fact regarded in real life.

This is not the US - this is South East Asia. In fact fair to say that cultures generally begin to differ vastly as one moves Eastwards from a line of longitude drawn half way across the Atlantic Ocean

Dear Rest of the world ,you are right so from now on try to settle your own problems of economics and trade.The US has enough inland wealth and national resources that we can become an isolationist as Wilson wanted in 1916.but then here you go BEGGING for us to come and keep Europe from having to speak German and after we saved your axxes at a cost of 116708 of our soldiers then you went begging again in 1939 and it again cost several hundred thousands of our troops and millions of our dollars to pull your butts out of the fire.We then had to create NATO at a Hugh cost in hopes that this was a buffer to keep Russia from taken advantage and start claiming more of Europe then it had already.Our loans and gifts in the hundreds of billions help you to get on your feet and establish governments in Europe so as not to be exploited by military Requiems again.Yes believe me the American public would like nothing more then to let your sorry axxses sink or swim on your on.Be careful of what you wish for because if that radical Trump becomes president isolationism of The US could happen.Then you better start learning Russian.

• 2 months later...

Many farangs are outraged that anyone in the world lives without the PC values and inhibitions they learned in their home countries.

There is a place where people live and think exactly like you would like them to live and think.

I can draw them a map to the airport if it helps!whistling.gif

So you're saying that it's part of Thai culture to abuse maids? It's okay and if you don't like it go home?

Just wanted to clear that up.

Yes, rkidlad.....it is so refreshing to read comments such as willyumiii in which he criticizes "farangs" for finding fault with violence toward others, especially towards persons who cannot retaliate due to either physical frailty or, as in this case, fear of losing ones position!! Why does he find fault.....because he is of the belief that it IS politically correct for 'servants" to be cuffed around by their employer if displeasure is given. And, If I understand wee willyumiii, no matter what activity that takes place in Thailand, because I was not born here, I should button my lip and say FIDO. (In case, that acronym is unfamiliar to any reader it simply means "<deleted> it, Drive on"...i.e. ignore) To willyumiii, I say...imo, it is one thing to know, understand and respect a country's cultural ways, but it is quite another to just sit back and say nothing when one sees that a criminal act is being committed or simulated as in the Lotus Tesco advert.

It is against the law in Thailand to commit an assault upon another person, and what is shown in the video is a simulated assault...which, if allowed to go unchallenged, would give the naive viewer the impression of it being okay! True, many Thais may have been raised since childhood to "do as they are told" when the telling comes from genuine "persons in authority" which largely has meant their elders, their teachers and the police. And yes, while there appears to be a lessening of this, corporal punishment is a part of life for the Thai child, more in the school....certain schools...than the home from my experience. If administered fairly and judiciously, this may account for the respect that one sees given by Thais in general to their elders....a part of Thai culture that I would be loathe to see disappear! IF the "person in authority" is not resorting to outright criminal behaviour in the manner of "telling", I would :"keep my opinions to myself" but to the "willyumiii"s pf this world, I suggest that those who FAIL to criticize criminal behaviour in any society, do that society a disfavour!

Americans that go to other countries and point out, and/or try to change things that are common practice or part of a culture in another country that they don't like, can't stomach, need to move on, or just go back to the U.S. and work on its many serious problems. There's plenty of them. JFK said, 'We cannot and will not become the policemen of the world.' So yes, voice your opinion then drop it. Unless, you get serious support from the local authorities. I imagine, a Thai abusing his wife/girlfriend or employers abusing employees won't get as much attention as something that effects tourism, like polluted beach water, garbage, aggressive LB's, overcharging taxis/baht buses, etc. Only over the last 15 years has wife/girlfriend abuse in the U.S. has been somewhat addressed. Now, usually, they take both parties to jail to stop repeat offenders from playing the system. I knew a Vietnamese guy whose neighbors saw him chase his wife around the outside of their house with a knife in his hand. That was around ten years ago. He was never charged or jailed. Maybe because, he had a well known local sponsor that brought his family from Vietnam, through a Thailand refugee camp. Another time, he was stopped for speeding, yelled, screamed, swore at the cop, ripped up the ticket, threw it out the window and drove off. Employers abusing employee's still happens a lot in the U.S., usually not physical, because that leave marks and bruises, preferring personal threats, unwanted sexual advances, etc, because that is much harder to prove in court. People today in the U.S. really fear losing their jobs and not finding another so they put up with a lot of employer abuse. Again, yes, the commercial was in poor taste, but that's all, not a earth shattering moment.

Excuse me, oh 'citizen of the world".... what is the justification for this rant of yours about "Americans'?? Are you of the belief that the term 'farang" only refers to "Americans" and therefore only Americans find fault with the ad? Or are you just jumping off your world turnip wagon onto a anti-US wagon because it seems fashionable to bash the US at every opportunity. News flash for you.....many of us, myself included, who found this ad distasteful and expressed our distaste hail from countries other than the US!! You may deem it "common practice" in Thailand for employers to treat their employees as shown in this ad, but I suggest that such activity while common in the past among the HiSos, is a behaviour that becoming less and less acceptable in the eyes of Thai society!

Actually, there is no good excuse for you, oh wise one. Most Farangs will use their experiences back home as a comparison. So, it wasn't American bashing. Even in wonderful America, many employers treat their employee's like slaves. If they could get away with beating their employee's they would. They have to settle for threatening, over working, and belittling them. Then, telling them, there's the door if they don't like it. Plenty more from where you came from, that will work harder and longer, will do the job for less and be grateful. You should get out into the 'real' world more often. Then, you'd know that. Oh sheltered one.

Americans that go to other countries and point out, and/or try to change things that are common practice or part of a culture in another country that they don't like, can't stomach, need to move on, or just go back to the U.S. and work on its many serious problems. There's plenty of them. JFK said, 'We cannot and will not become the policemen of the world.' So yes, voice your opinion then drop it. Unless, you get serious support from the local authorities. I imagine, a Thai abusing his wife/girlfriend or employers abusing employees won't get as much attention as something that effects tourism, like polluted beach water, garbage, aggressive LB's, overcharging taxis/baht buses, etc. Only over the last 15 years has wife/girlfriend abuse in the U.S. has been somewhat addressed. Now, usually, they take both parties to jail to stop repeat offenders from playing the system. I knew a Vietnamese guy whose neighbors saw him chase his wife around the outside of their house with a knife in his hand. That was around ten years ago. He was never charged or jailed. Maybe because, he had a well known local sponsor that brought his family from Vietnam, through a Thailand refugee camp. Another time, he was stopped for speeding, yelled, screamed, swore at the cop, ripped up the ticket, threw it out the window and drove off. Employers abusing employee's still happens a lot in the U.S., usually not physical, because that leave marks and bruises, preferring personal threats, unwanted sexual advances, etc, because that is much harder to prove in court. People today in the U.S. really fear losing their jobs and not finding another so they put up with a lot of employer abuse. Again, yes, the commercial was in poor taste, but that's all, not a earth shattering moment.

Excuse me, oh 'citizen of the world".... what is the justification for this rant of yours about "Americans'?? Are you of the belief that the term 'farang" only refers to "Americans" and therefore only Americans find fault with the ad? Or are you just jumping off your world turnip wagon onto a anti-US wagon because it seems fashionable to bash the US at every opportunity. News flash for you.....many of us, myself included, who found this ad distasteful and expressed our distaste hail from countries other than the US!! You may deem it "common practice" in Thailand for employers to treat their employees as shown in this ad, but I suggest that such activity while common in the past among the HiSos, is a behaviour that becoming less and less acceptable in the eyes of Thai society!

In the US the n word is taboo.

Wish the f word was taboo in Thailand.

Farang, when is this word used in a polite way?

Often, just to indicate westerners.

Why don't you start a new thread if you want to discuss the word farang in stead of the issue at hand.

Edited by stevenl

An American is Red Indian,Eskimo or ,Inca ,so perhaps the Imegrant Yanks just nipped back to help their Euro Or African Grandparents when they faced a Murdering Nutter.