NCPO grants police powers to military

webfact

Junta Grants Police Powers to Military
By Sasiwan Mokkhasen
Staff Reporter

14593320701459332288l.jpg
Soldiers posted outside an army auditorium where civilians were being brought in for ‘attitude adjustment’ one day after the coup on May 23, 2014, in Bangkok.

BANGKOK — Soldiers last night were granted sweeping authority to conduct warrantless searches of homes, seize assets and detain civilians without charge.

On the order of junta chief Prayuth Chan-ocha, a wide range of powers usually reserved for civilian police were bestowed to members of the military Tuesday night, ostensibly to carry out the junta’s policy of rooting out underworld influences and unduly “influential people” in the economy and society.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1459332070

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-03-31

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we go...you couldn't make it up..again !! ...the military giving the military the power to do what they want without warrants..

Looking forward to hear what Human rights organizations have to say about this 'Democratic' decision .

So does this mean I can go get a soldier to arrest a cop for trying to make me pay a bribe?

This country is slipping further away from freedom of its people and soon, will affect its tourism dollars if it continues.

Only if you bribe the soldier.coffee1.gif

I am genuinely saddened by the direction Thailand is taking, having spent many decades here; I just cant believe what has happened here over the past 5 years

At lease We expats have the choice to leave and tourists have many other Country’s as options, but the average thai is basically in an open military prison

Very sad day for thailand and this can only end in blood sad.png

So does this mean I can go get a soldier to arrest a cop for trying to make me pay a bribe?

This country is slipping further away from freedom of its people and soon, will affect its tourism dollars if it continues.

Yu'p sure can, But it'll cost ya 400 bath for the soldier rather than the 200 bath for the cop, Now that's progress huh.

And where are the TVF fanboy's of this mob? conveniently quiet yet again when there is a story like this. Difficult to justify this as well huh fella's...

Damn scary. But not surprising. Will be interesting to see how many of the "dark and influential" figures are actually political opponents. Once they are out of the way then onto those pesky students and academics. Then it will be time to go after anyone who dares offer an opinion that differs from the state sanctioned propaganda.

Expect things to get worse as the Kingdom gets nearer to the event.

Edited by docshock13

"Soldiers last night were granted sweeping authority to conduct warrantless searches of homes, seize assets and detain civilians without charge."

Wasn't even aware the police had these powers. I thought they asked people to show up or if unable to do so present a note/envelope from their mummy/lawyer.

It's already happening from what I'm told!!... It's just been confirmed!

They only have themselves to blame for their inaction, bribery, corruption and total disregard for the rule of law.

Do I think it's right NO i don't but it's certainly going to be interesting to see the power plays unfortunately at a cost to many..

Or. ...the cop might make up some story that you did not follow his instructions, get his military mate to arrest you without warrant or charge and you could be in a military prison for a month and nobody will even know.

After you show that you did nothing wrong, you will have no right to prosecute either the soldier or the police man for setting you up, since the soldier has been given immunity from any wrong doing. Basically, everybody better keep their heads down.

Police spokesman Kritsana Pattanacharoen responded to the order Wednesday, saying he believed the junta empowered the military with police powers to support the police, as he said they don’t have enough officers.

Again, aren't there over 200,000 police officers?

Yesterday, the Tourism and Sports Minister assured that up to 4,000 police officers have been deployed to ensure safety during Songkran, as though that is some huge amount - just how many of the 200-plus-thousand members of the RTP are in active or operational positions??

What will the junta appointed National Human Rights Commissioner have to say ?

Will he be struck suitably dumb or produce some weird and wonderful justification ?

One of his predecessors during the Thaksin era decided there was nothing wrong with all the deaths of supposed drug dealers as they were only part of the ' war on drugs '.

I suppose if a commissioner has to protect human rights it's best to start with his / her own !

"...rooting out underworld influences and unduly “influential people” in the economy and society."

This is exactly what most people have been demanding for decades.

Using soldiers to arrest heavily-armed underworld groups and crime-bosses, is just basic common sense, because many serious gangsters have the kind of firepower that would put the lives of normal policemen and policewomen in danger.

So I will wait and see, I hope that they do break up underworld gangs, and apprehend the crime bosses.

I know I will be barbecued for writing this.

I seem to recall this EXACT SAME THING happening in Europe about 75 years ago when Hitler gave all his SS commandos police powers.

That worked out great didn't it?

Last week the .PM was on TV around 9:00 pm. He said something along the lines, that children who see their parents doing something wrong or damages the countries image, should tell to stop doing it. English subtitles. I thought at the time is this how it started in 1930s Germany? What next encourage the children to report their parents?

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

"...rooting out underworld influences and unduly “influential people” in the economy and society."

Using soldiers to arrest heavily-armed underworld groups and crime-bosses, is just basic common sense, because many serious gangsters have the kind of firepower that would put the lives of normal policemen and policewomen in danger.

So I will wait and see, I hope that they do break up underworld gangs, and apprehend the crime bosses.

If the suspect is heavily armed then sure, involve an armed arrest team and if the army is the only alternative then so be it. But to do it without the need of a search warrant and also have the right to seize assets and detain civilians without charge is not part of the ride along the road to democracy, not even close.

naive and surprising from you I must say

Here we go...you couldn't make it up..again !! ...the military giving the military the power to do what they want without warrants..

Looking forward to hear what Human rights organizations have to say about this 'Democratic' decision .

You mean the Human rights organizations who give themselves huge salaries from the gifts of civilians? And they use students to collect the gifts who get a bonus (percentage) of it?

I can't be bothered what they think!

The Police doesn't do their job so it ain't strange that now the Army is ordered to do it.

After all Thailand became what it is dued by the lack of (real) Police.

Edited by Thian

Sorry, but nobody grants anything to the military. They moved in and took over and have been in charge since. Sadly, this removes any doubt that the country is under a strict martial law and military control with no independent review, oversight, etc.

You mean the Human rights organizations who give themselves huge salaries from the gifts of civilians? And they use students to collect the gifts who get a bonus (percentage) of it?

I can't be bothered what they think!

The Police doesn't do their job so it ain't strange that now the Army is ordered to do it.

After all Thailand became what it is dued by the lack of (real) Police.

Yes and no.

The police generally don't do their job, agreed, and a lot of Thailand's issues would be sorted by a reformed, properly functioning police force, that's for sure - but, the RTP and the RTA are generally regarded as competing mafia-like organisations with competing allegiances.

If, and that's a huge 'if', Prayuth is doing this in order to root out the criminals, then great carry on, but I fear this is just another move in his power grab. He already has assured himself control of the government for pretty much as long as he wants, his minions are on the boards of most, if not all, of Thailand's state-run agencies, he commands the military, and now is sidelining the RTP.

There will inevitably be a massive shift in Thai society, which could occur any day, so the elites need to have the right people in power, and have full control of the country. This is, in many peoples' opinion, the reason for the coup in the first place.

It's becoming an increasingly scarier time to be in Thailand.

As you should be chicken little. In order to stamp out corruption, it must be replaced with something. Most Thai officials cannot survive on their wages alone. Giving heavy handed oafs god like powers is just creating government sponsored gangsters. Thinking like this puts the whole country at risk. Thailand needs to create courts that are not swayed be politics.

Police spokesman Kritsana Pattanacharoen responded to the order Wednesday, saying he believed the junta empowered the military with police powers to support the police, as he said they don’t have enough officers.

Again, aren't there over 200,000 police officers?

Yesterday, the Tourism and Sports Minister assured that up to 4,000 police officers have been deployed to ensure safety during Songkran, as though that is some huge amount - just how many of the 200-plus-thousand members of the RTP are in active or operational positions??

The rest are very busy manning roadblocks and checkpoints up and down the country's main roads.

Standard Thai Visa responses out in force I see.

We've had Hitler mentioned and comments about how scary it is getting but we are still missing a "so it begins".

I think it's a bit early for you all to start wetting your panties over this.

How long have you guys been predicting the end of freedom here?

Has life changed fundamentally since the coup? Nope. Are you able to still comment about the government here? Absolutely yes

Take a chill pill.

Edited by pedro01